• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

F T/R Competition Anybody using an Atlas Bipod for F-TR?

chefcam864

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2013
Spartanburg, SC
I'm in the market for a bipod for my TR/tactical rig, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Atlas in TR. It seems like it would work pretty well, as it allows the rifle to recoil straight back without hopping. I know this can be done with a Harris, but despite what's espoused on this forum, it is a rare skill and one I do not have. The other Bipod I'm considering is the Centershot. It's a TR specific design with ski feet and quick elevation adjustment.

What say you guys?
Any other suggestions? Please only comment on equipment you have actually used, or at least have seen used 1st hand.

Centershot Link:

Bipods

Atlas link:
Atlas Bipods

I have not used the Atlas first hand but when I started in F/TR I used a Harris. Clearly there are better bipods for this specific style of shooting and the Centershot is one of them. So far I think I have used a Centershot and Sinclair Gen 3 but I currently use a Phoenix Precision. It definitely weighs more than some of the other bipods out there at 36oz but in my opinion it is the best that you can get. It is incredibly easy to adjust from the prone position and the rifle seems to recoil like it is in a front rest. If you can make weight with it I would definitely suggest you give one a try. Plus not to be a name dropper but I believe that some shooters on the North State X-Men including last year's F/TR national champion and the only guy to clean a 1000 yards in F/TR (James Crofts and Phil Kelly) use one. Another option to consider is the Duplin bipod which many members of the Sinclair F/TR team use. Not that you need to use the same equipment as everybody but these ones have proven themselves in F/TR.

It mostly comes down to how you prefer to shoot. For "free-recoil" style shooting (although it isn't really free-recoil), there are a wide variety of bipod options including the Centershot, Sinclair, and Duplin Rifles to name a few, that are sled-type bipods where the goal is to allow the sled feet to track straight back during recoil. The type and height of rear bag used is especially important for this style of shooting, as well as the bottom of the buttstock, which tracks over the bag during recoil. Egdewood Mini-Gator and Protektor bags are common choices.

If you prefer to load the bipod, the Atlas works just fine. I used one in F-T/R for quite a while and like it better for that purpose than the Harris. The Atlas cant/pan feature does not completely lock down, so it is possible to make small adjustments in the rifle cant while shooting without reaching up to the bipod during a string of fire. Lately, I have been using the Long Range Accuracy (LRA) heavy bipodwith QD mount, primarily because of its much wider footprint (Long Range Accuracy - EuroOptic.com). If you prefer to load the bipod as I do, this one is very strong and stable. However, that comes at the expense of more weight, in case weight is an issue for your rifle, and it's fairly pricey. The Atlas with QD mount weighs in at ~0.7 lb, whereas the LRA is about 1.4 lb. Many of the sled-type bipods also weigh in at 1.0-1.5 lb (or more). The Atlas will serve you nicely for F-T/R, and also be useful for other types of shooting, whereas the sled-type bipods are pretty specific for F-Class type events.

I have used the Harris,Atlas and Centershot; now I use the Centershot all the time.I like to lightly load the bipod so I don't do it right but it works.The bipod moves right a little on recoil so I need to make a couple of changes.

I have not used the Atlas first hand but when I started in F/TR I used a Harris. Clearly there are better bipods for this specific style of shooting and the Centershot is one of them. So far I think I have used a Centershot and Sinclair Gen 3 but I currently use a Phoenix Precision. It definitely weighs more than some of the other bipods out there at 36oz but in my opinion it is the best that you can get. It is incredibly easy to adjust from the prone position and the rifle seems to recoil like it is in a front rest. If you can make weight with it I would definitely suggest you give one a try. Plus not to be a name dropper but I believe that some shooters on the North State X-Men including last year's F/TR national champion and the only guy to clean a 1000 yards in F/TR (James Crofts and Phil Kelly) use one. Another option to consider is the Duplin bipod which many members of the Sinclair F/TR team use. Not that you need to use the same equipment as everybody but these ones have proven themselves in F/TR.

I shot the Hathcock 308 challenge at Lejeune in may, and 2 of the guys on the X Men team, Tracy Hogg, and I think Jim or James something or other were shooting Phoenix. They both liked them and felt they were the best if you could make weight with them. Ju/ James was also testing a pretty bad ass prototype bipod with a joystick. Very neat! Tracy won the match and a couple of the guys I was with did very well. One of them won the NRA LR regionals at Butner a few weekends ago. He did that using a mistic bipod that I like except it has no adjustment for elevation

Last edited:
I have been having issues with the Atlas bipod cant/pan loosening up across multiple (10-30) shot strings and the recoil and shot placement then becoming inconsistent shot-to-shot. Anyone have any pointers on how to maintain a reasonable lock with the Atlas? With F-Class target accuracy, a bit more consistency would be helpful.

"The Atlas cant/pan feature does not completely lock down, so it is possible to make small adjustments in the rifle cant while shooting without reaching up to the bipod during a string of fire."

The V8 cant/pan knob is not supposed to completely lock down movement. However, all of mine can be easily tightened enough by hand so that you really have to grab onto the stock foregrip and torque it reasonably hard to get it to move. i crank them down solid by hand and have never had one come "loose" during a match. When shooting F-T/R matches that are not on concrete or some other hard surface, it is easy for the bipod feet to dig a hole in the dirt/sand/gravel etc., even with a mat underneath. You can see the reticle begin to cant during a string, particularly if you run a level of some sort. The Atlas, because it doesn't completely lock, allows you to bring it back plumb simply by torquing the stock/foregrip slightly, without having to reach all the way up to the bipod to unlock a lever or knob during a string of fire.

Any type bipod that locks completely will not allow you to do this. In fact, there are sled-type F-T/R bipods now in development/use that have a joystick to adjust cant/height without having to reach up. I can't imagine they would be all that useful outside F-T/R or BR shooting.

Last edited:
Aside from the can't not locking completely, how do you like the Atlas for F-TR? Does the rifle recoil back and fourth with it?

If it wasn't clear from my post, I actually liked the fact that it didn't "lock". It allowed me to make minor adjustments to correct the cant that inevitably creeps in when shooting from grass/dirt/gravel surfaces on various firing lines. As far as movement, obviously the better your position behind the rifle, the more straight back it will recoil, and the less hop and lateral movement you will see. That is true regardless of the type bipod you're using. The footprint on the Atlas is comparable to the Harris, maybe just a tick wider. As such, you can/will get some lateral movement when using it if you're not straight behind the rifle. It's not at all unmanageable, but it's definitely there if you don't drive it correctly. A bipod with a wider footprint will lessen that to some degree, although not entirely. Probably a fair degree of it is personal preference, but I've shot some pretty decent MR and LR scores using an Atlas, so for me it definitely worked. As I stated earlier, I do prefer the wider stance of the LRA bipod I'm currently using, but it's not a really huge difference, just a small step up for how I like to shoot.

Again, if lateral movement is a big concern, one of the [very] wide sled-type bipods can provide a really stable platform, but there are issues that come with them including extra weight (compared to something like the Atlas), ease of adjustment while shooting, and the fact that they aren't going to be as useful for other types of shooting comps (tactical, for example); they're really designed specifically for F-T/R. I currently have a Duplin Rifles bipod that I'm "learning" to use. Basically, I haven't yet decided whether I like shooting with that style of bipod enough to use it in a competition. Because of the angled buttstock bottom on the A5 stocks I have, most of the rear bag adjustments used during shooting are exactly the opposite of what I do with a standard-type loaded bipod/rear bag setup, so learning to use it properly without loading is taking a bit of getting used to. Overall, I would say the type bipod one uses is probably not going to be the limiting factor for most. For that reason, I think it's possible to do quite well with several different types of bipods, as long as you have a solid setup, a good load for it, and know something about reading the wind conditions. Frankly, there are lots of people that will spend tons of money and huge amounts of time tweaking this or that, or getting this or that piece of new gear, while neglecting to learn good wind reading skills. IMO many more points are lost to bad wind calls than all other sources combined, so getting a solid bipod is a good idea, but not the overriding concern. As long as you're comfortable with it, you can then focus your attention on other more important issues like making good wind calls.

Wouldn't the new Sinclair or something similar be better for Fclass than an atlas?

Wouldn't the new Sinclair or something similar be better for Fclass than an atlas?

Yes, any of the wide footprint pods with ski feet would be better for F-class than an Atlas. The problem is they're not good for much else. I was only considering the Atlas as a do all, but I think I'll be going with a Centershot.

Don't load the pod and get your natural point of aim to keep the pod from moving right or left. I can watch the trace of the bullet going into the target. (on good days) :)

F-class is how I practice for long range hunting (ok, mid range, 600 yards),so my atlas never leaves my rifle. I've thought about switching to a sled type, but, for me, that defeats the purpose, though I know my scores would be better

I believe he means the sled type. They need to be able to move straight back with recoil, which is why you don't load them like a classic bipod. For the same reason, most use a rear bag with "ears" of some type to keep the rifle/buttstock moving straight as it comes back during recoil. What you use under the legs can also be important as you don't want a really slick surface that will allow the bipod to skid back and forth laterally. The sled-type bipods will give the best results if you are positioned correctly behind the rifle so that it recoils straight back with no (or very minimal) lateral movement. They will definitely reveal if you have bad form when you first use one.

I believe he means the sled type. They need to be able to move straight back with recoil, which is why you don't load them like a classic bipod. For the same reason, most use a rear bag with "ears" of some type to keep the rifle/buttstock moving straight as it comes back during recoil. What you use under the legs can also be important as you don't want a really slick surface that will allow the bipod to skid back and forth laterally. The sled-type bipods will give the best results if you are positioned correctly behind the rifle so that it recoils straight back with no (or very minimal) lateral movement. They will definitely reveal if you have bad form when you first use one.

Yes to above. Have been using CenShot since 09.

I've been using an atlas on my F/TR rig and I like it but a dedicated F-Class bipod will be better but for a do it all rig, you won't find a better bipod I think. I Tried a Harris swivel and went back to the atlas V8.