• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone Doing 40x Repeater Conversions?

FUNCTIONAL

Dirty Civilian
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2012
    Eastern, NC
    Sold off all my rimfires except my 40x expecting to send it off to Black Ops for their repeater conversion.....low and behold they are out of business now. Is anyone else private or company doing repeater conversions? If not im seriously debating selling it for an Annie...love the accuracy just wish it was a repeater. If I go with the Annie...am I giving up anything for accuracy? The searching I've done so far tells me no but cant hurt to ask while im at this.

Buy a Winchester 52C and have a rifle as good in every way as a 40x ...and it is already a repeater......If you want a Anschutz there are several that are very good out of the box with barreled action repeaters on the 54 action at ~$1,000.00. Put one of the actions in a good stock of your choosing and you are there with no muss or fuss....

If you feel the 40X is your true love call Wayne Juergens of Yankton, SD and he can do the conversion....

Last edited:
    I know its off subject a little but Mark Chesebro does Anschutz 54 conversions using CZ mags. His work is very good and his prices are great! So if you cant find a smith to do the 40X repeater then this may be a good option. Here is his site, he was Mac's gunsmith at MT Guns before Mac retired. Mark is a great guy to deal with:

Chesebro Rifles

There are a couple of 40xb for sale from a smith that Orkan from Primal Rights has. He is also willing to do a couple of builds and I think he uses marlin mags, not for sure on that but the rifles that Orkan put on his site look pretty damn nice.
    To answer the other part, No, You will not lose anything going with a Annie. I have a 64 mpr and it is very accurate but I have heard the 54 is mores so than mine. I think the 54ms is the repeater.

There are a couple of 40xb for sale from a smith that Orkan from Primal Rights has. He is also willing to do a couple of builds and I think he uses marlin mags, not for sure on that but the rifles that Orkan put on his site look pretty damn nice.
    To answer the other part, No, You will not lose anything going with a Annie. I have a 64 mpr and it is very accurate but I have heard the 54 is mores so than mine. I think the 54ms is the repeater.

There were very few 54MS repeaters made (I actually just sold one). The 54 MSR was the most common repeater for the 54 match rifle series, and they are pretty hard to find. As far as the accuracy potential between the 64 and 54, yes the 54 is usually a bit more accurate but not always because some of the 64 rifles are real shooters too. The big differences come in how easy the 54 is to shoot, much better triggers, a more discipline specific stock, and different barrel contours available (1907 shorter and lighter vs 1913 longer heavier). The 54 also has a faster lock time and IMO a smoother more solid action design. That is about it from a 30,000 foot overview, it can get much more specific but I thought I would throw the info out there.

IMO the 54 action rifles are far superior to the 40X actions for several reasons, but I don't want to open that can of worms tonight...

Merlin: do you have Wayne's email or some way to get in contact with him? PS: passed on a $900 52C yesterday at a local gun show....kicking myself the minute I got back home.

Hammertime: I saw his thread and was hoping to max out at $1500 for a setup (if going other than my 40x). I'm also regretting selling you that CZ! Should have bed it and thrown a Lilja on it.

I think for the $2K+ I'll stick with the 64 action Annies unless I can find a good deal on one. Jbell (or anyone for that matter) how does the 64 action stack up against the 40x? This will be used in some tactical rimfire matches. Would perhaps a Sako quad be more suited for this use?

There were very few 54MS repeaters made (I actually just sold one). The 54 MSR was the most common repeater for the 54 match rifle series, and they are pretty hard to find. As far as the accuracy potential between the 64 and 54, yes the 54 is usually a bit more accurate but not always because some of the 64 rifles are real shooters too. The big differences come in how easy the 54 is to shoot, much better triggers, a more discipline specific stock, and different barrel contours available (1907 shorter and lighter vs 1913 longer heavier). The 54 also has a faster lock time and IMO a smoother more solid action design. That is about it from a 30,000 foot overview, it can get much more specific but I thought I would throw the info out there.

IMO the 54 action rifles are far superior to the 40X actions for several reasons, but I don't want to open that can of worms tonight...

I know you did. I did not see it in time to try to get it. There was another Annie sold to Orkan a couple of days ago. It was a 64mpr in ss that I was drooling over. I was about to pull the trigger on that one and Orkan beat me to it. Damn the luck.

Merlin: do you have Wayne's email or some way to get in contact with him? PS: passed on a $900 52C yesterday at a local gun show....kicking myself the minute I got back home.

Hammertime: I saw his thread and was hoping to max out at $1500 for a setup (if going other than my 40x). I'm also regretting selling you that CZ! Should have bed it and thrown a Lilja on it.

I think for the $2K+ I'll stick with the 64 action Annies unless I can find a good deal on one. Jbell (or anyone for that matter) how does the 64 action stack up against the 40x? This will be used in some tactical rimfire matches. Would perhaps a Sako quad be more suited for this use?

Honestly any of the actions you mentioned would work just fine. It will just come down to personal preference. If it were me wanting to buy one right now and either could not find a 54 repeater or didn't want to spend that much I would get a 64 MPR. That is a turn key rifle, you may end up bedding it for max accuracy but that's it.

How the hell did Black Ops go out of business with all the interest in the 40x conversions?

The one Orkan posted looks tempting, but at that cost you can buy a complete Sako Quad.

Honestly any of the actions you mentioned would work just fine. It will just come down to personal preference. If it were me wanting to buy one right now and either could not find a 54 repeater or didn't want to spend that much I would get a 64 MPR. That is a turn key rifle, you may end up bedding it for max accuracy but that's it.

I agree with that statement about the 64. Though it does offer all that aftermarket stuff people seek out with other alternatives such as the CZ or Sako, it shoots much better out of the box, the stock is well shaped for tactical work and being wood the user can easily add LOP or cheek piece adjustments. Hindsight being 20/20 I would not have bought my 54 action Anschutz 1710 it doesn't really have a conducive stock shape to what I want to do or the trigger of a match Anschutz. Doesn't matter now anyway as my heavily modded Kimber 82G gets it all done.

I agree with that statement about the 64. Though it does offer all that aftermarket stuff people seek out with other alternatives such as the CZ or Sako, it shoots much better out of the box, the stock is well shaped for tactical work and being wood the user can easily add LOP or cheek piece adjustments. Hindsight being 20/20 I would not have bought my 54 action Anschutz 1710 it doesn't really have a conducive stock shape to what I want to do or the trigger of a match Anschutz. Doesn't matter now anyway as my heavily modded Kimber 82G gets it all done.

Jim do you still have your 1710?

I was surprised they went out of business too. I know some peopled loved their builds and the few who got the 40x conversion loved it. They did seem a bit higher in price than say a comparable GAP but the pics seemed like they turned out a great product none the less.

Going to see if I can find anyone in my area with an Annie and go from there. I really don't want to go down in accuracy and I kind of feel that's where I will be with a Sako unless I through more money into it.

If I can get in contact with a few people and find out about 40x conversions I will post up what I can in here. I know I'm not the only one who would love a repeater 40x.