• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone had shoulder surgery?

4 months now after going over the handlebars on my mountain bike at 18 mph. My shoulder is starting to pop as I move my arm around. I am 57 years old now, many falls over my life time on my right shoulder. God saved my life 4 months ago, at that speed and crashing I should be dead right now.

Reactions: Ronws and Maggot
4 months now after going over the handlebars on my mountain bike at 18 mph. My shoulder is starting to pop as I move my arm around. I am 57 years old now, many falls over my life time on my right shoulder. God saved my life 4 months ago, at that speed and crashing I should be dead right now.
Glad you made it.

That popping is likely the ligaments and cartlige moving around. I get it in most of my joints.

Reactions: Rangemaster
I also get popping joints. A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away when I was only 39, I had a sudden pain in my left knee at work. Arthritis runs in my family and so I thought that is what it was.

I went to the doctor and he diagnosed it as a torn intermedial cartilege. It's what happens when the lower leg is planted and the rest of the body is swinging around. It had it happen from playing tennis but it did not hit until he was on a nature hike.

Mine was from being in a 4 foot deep ditch running 4 inch conduits for communications from the MDF room of a new school to the phone box at the other end of the campus property.

Yeah, I told him I had to be part mountain goat in my job. Which part, he asked? I replied, "The cloven hooves, I suppose."

He had surgery to correct it. I did not. No insurance, no time to take off. Take some ibuprofen and get back to work. If it was easy, grandma would be doing. (Actually, that doesn't work any more. One of my old friends was doing electrical when she had grandchildren.)

Man, I was just hoping this would just heal and go away like when I was younger.
I may. I'd get to a good orthopedic doc and PT guy, get some Xrays or MRI. Get to it quickly, maybe some steroid injections and REST will help it heal. Remember, things heal much faster with REST...and prescribed PT.

I found this one, looks really good.

Have you tried static hanging? I had a impingement in my right shoulder. Got surgery, They shortened my collar bone a bit. Told to go back to my normal life. I did request some PT to help things along. Did a few weeks of PT.
But still felt like I had the impingement. Came across some PT guys on youtube and they talked about static hanging to recovery from a variety of shoulder issues. I tried it and it worked . I started gaining range of motion and the pain slowly faded away. I developed a impingement in my other shoulder and fixed it with hanging.
Now I do a few different shoulder exercises for strength and range of motion. I still hang a few times a week.

I can't sufficiently express my gratitude for this video. I was really in a buch of pain, and dreading the chop shop. The first day I started these I noticed improvement. 3 Weeks later I'm all but pain free, just the occasional twinge. and even the popping is 80% reduced.

I know the arthritis is still in there but it just doesnt seem to be the problem nearly as much as the locked scapula.

Reactions: samadisoulcrusher
I am having my left shoulder joint replaced about 3 hours from now.
I had my right shoulder done March 13nth and was wondering if I made a mistake from all the pinching and pulling I was feeling during my PT. Now, there is no doubt in my mind that the joint replacement was the propper repair. My range of motion is way better than before replacement and I am slowly gaining strength in the surrounding muscles.
If I live, I will update what I am going through for the next couple weeks, after that, it's easy sailing from there. At least, that's how the first shoulder went.

I had my right shoulder done March 13nth and was wondering if I made a mistake from all the pinching and pulling I was feeling during my PT. Now, there is no doubt in my mind that the joint replacement was the propper repair. My range of motion is way better than before replacement and I am slowly gaining strength in the surrounding muscles.
If I live, I will update what I am going through for the next couple weeks, after that, it's easy sailing from there. At least, that's how the first shoulder went.
Good luck to you and your surgeon.

You'll live. Prayers for a safe surgery and easy recovery.

Gentlemen, my surgery went very well. It amazes me that someone can cut your body open, saw off a little here and there, glue huge chunks of stainless steel into the bones the doctor cut off earlier, suture me up and send me home.

I had a total reverse shoulder joint replacement. The ball end of the humerus is removed and replaced with a cup instead the original ball head, The shoulder side that used to be a cup is changed to the ball. This surgery is done when the rotator cuff and bicep tendons are beyond repair.

I was in the hospital from 1pm to 5:15pm and was sent home. I am not supposed start PT until next wednesday but I can do fully supported ROM. The amount of time I was in pre/surgery/recover was about 1 and a half hours.

Yesterday was pain day. I kept doing my stretches and stayed on my pain meds. Basically, I can bend at the waist and let my left arm hang and move in a circular motion and that relieves a lot of ache and keeps my upper arm/shoulder from stoving up. Today, I'm in pretty good shape. The dull ache is gone and I slept well last night. Today, I'm not feeling much pain like yesterday and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to drop my pain meds in the next day or two.

I will be wearing a sling for a few more weeks and somewhere around 4 to six weeks I will be able to remove the sling if I'm just sitting around touching myself.

I would recommend this type of a joint replacement for anyone who is a little older/beat up from being stupid. It is important to know that if you have this surgery done is that if you somehow dislocate the joint, you will need a deep surgery to fix it. No grabbing the arm and yanking on it will re-locate the joint.

About 6 years ago, my wife tore her rotator cuff and had the cuff repaired. After helping with PT and her long range recovery, there is no doubt that a cuff repair is more painful with much longer recovery time. That is my opinion, based off of what my wife went through with her cuff repair.

I had my right shoulder replaced March 13nth of this year. At first, I wasn't too sure that joint repacement was the right choice. I kept getting pinching and muscle ache 6 weeks after the surgery and by the 8th week, I started casting my flyrod and was unbelievably pain free.

Let me know if anybody would like to ask questions or just verbally abuse me.

Last edited:
Reactions: GUNNER75
I haven't read many of the replies (most say about the same thing) but can echo that you're going to feel like shit for a few months. However, doing PT correctly and often is a MUST. It bears repeating; A MUST. I've had one done and my dad had three (right twice). He didn't take PT seriously and had issues develop within a year or two that required the right to get done again. I followed PT and asked the therapist to push me hard and she did. I had full function within 4 months, and never thought about things that might affect it (throwing a baseball, rowing kayaks, shooting) again after 6 months.

Pain? Sure it was there, but you get used to being crippled and doing things with one arm (except showering, that was always gay) and then after 2ish months, you're able to do most of those things, just with significantly reduced flexibility; until you test it, then you'll get that pain briefly again and know you went too far.

As for sleep, I had a decent recliner in the basement and I think I slept in it for 3-4 weeks with a small throw pillow under my elbow. Now that I look back, that probably saved a lot of headaches of trying to sleep in a bed where rolling over would be excruciating!

DOING PT WELL IS A MUST

I will be wearing a sling for a few more weeks and somewhere around 4 to six weeks I will be able to remove the sling
if I'm just sitting around touching myself.

Let me know if anybody would like to ask questions or just verbally abuse me.
Great to hear. Out the same day? They at least kept me over night for the hip replacement...but then its weight bearing.

Had to put in the dig, LOL

Reactions: mtwarych
11-27-23 Surgery, 12-2-23 to 12-12-23 "sausage fingers and crazy wrist pain". PT helped and my surgeon office let me take Ibuprofen after I called them and reported my wrist issue. still really no shoulder pain. Wrist still hurts and I can pop my wrist which they suggest from time to time and take Tylenol and ibuprofen that oxycodone is no joke with me. If I take the max suggested I'm recliner bound for quite some time 10 325 beyond that I started therapy early because he didn't want my shoulder to lock and I'm gonna be doing therapy probably through April of next year. I've learned more about my left hand left arm and what I can do what I can't do and etc. then I ever thought I would, if anybody tells you they can do whatever with their left arm take their right arm to the back of their back and say show me because it's not the same overall surgery went well shoulder doesn't hurt inflammation is out of my shoulder after two weeks and my wrist is better my wrist more than my shoulder and ibuprofen is King at this point. Some doctors suggested out the gate and some don't mine never did for healing purposes but after I phoned them and told them my situation, they said yeah take ibuprofen and it made all the difference in the world, sorry I'm messaging this so it is what it is. I'm not greatly comfortable at typing yet but couple more weeks and I think I'll be fantastic. Oh by the way I exceeded my range of motion at my PT clinic the fourth visit I believe I don't remember the values, but they were solid like five or 6% over on each one that's why they said I had a good surgeon. Good luck maggot and everybody else has to go through this shit. I am constantly reminded how this is the longest recovery of any other surgery, including knees, hips, blah, blah blah what are depressing but it is what it is.

Reactions: Maggot
Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 6.53.44 PM.png

Rig this up and loop 550 over door handle, clamp to loop hole on jeans, pull left, button with left hand, then move on....Zip and buckle left handed and move on. PS if you on OXY Colace is your friend!!!

I was rear ended by a F350 doing 60 while I was sitting stand still. Guy never hit his breaks. Threw my FX35 forward then hit me a second time because his foot was still on the gas. Who knows what this guy was doing but he sure wasn't looking forward.

Front of his truck was smashed back to the dashboard. Thank God I had a seat belt on or I'd be dead. I had a triple scapula detachment. Lower trap, middle trap and rhomboid detached.

Only 1 surgeon in the world that successfully did this surgery who wrote the repair in the medical journal. Dr. Ben Kibler in Kentucky. Less than a handful of other guys attempted this surgery and were about 30% successful.

I was sent down to Kibler in Kentucky for consultation by my ortho up here in the Philly area who is a Rothman fellowship surgeon. Kibler Confirmed the injury and scheduled me for surgery 2 months later (May 2019).. at this point I was in debilitating pain, couldn't get out of bed some days.

Surgery was about 4hr or so. Drilled and pin all the muscles back onto my scapula. I woke up with a Morphin pump and hose in my back and in a metal brace with my arm straight out in front of me. I was in the worst pain I've ever been in. Walked around eith my arm strapped to a metal brace straight out in front of me like a Hitler solute for 6 fucking weeks. Slept in a recliner that entire time...really didn't sleep. It fucking sucked. They gave me oxy's to take home after they removed the morphine pump 4 days later. I took them for 2 days and threw them out. The nausea and constipation was worse than the pain. Opiods are horrible. I switched to double dosing advil and tylonel for the rest of the time.

Recovery was supposed to be 12 months with rehab starting after 8 weeks. My recovery was longer than expected, took about 16 months.

I have a good 8-10" scar down my back and my shoulder still hurts at times but nothing like before Surgery. Hurts worse when the weather gets cold out. I was so bad Kibler rated my injury a 10 and said surgery would get me down to a 4-6.. I'd say I'm a 5.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Aftermath
I was rear ended by a F350 doing 60 while I was sitting stand still. Guy never hit his breaks. Threw my FX35 forward then hit me a second time because his foot was still on the gas. Who knows what this guy was doing but he sure wasn't looking forward.

Front of his truck was smashed back to the dashboard. Thank God I had a seat belt on or I'd be dead. I had a triple scapula detachment. Lower trap, middle trap and rhomboid detached.

Only 1 surgeon in the world that successfully did this surgery who wrote the repair in the medical journal. Dr. Ben Kibler in Kentucky. Less than a handful of other guys attempted this surgery and were about 30% successful.

I was sent down to Kibler in Kentucky for consultation. Confirmed the injury and scheduled me for surgery 2 months later (May 2019).. at this point I was in debilitating pain, couldn't get out of bed some days.

Surgery was about 4hr or so. Drilled and pin all the muscles back onto my scapula. I woke up with a Morphin pump and hose in my back and in a metal brace with my arm straight out in front of me. I was in the worst pain I've ever been in. Walked around eith my arm strapped to a metal brace straight out in front of me like a Hitler solute for 6 fucking weeks. Slept in a recliner that entire time...really didn't sleep. It fucking sucked. They gave me oxy's to take home after they removed the morphine pump 4 days later. I took them for 2 days and threw them out. The nausea and constipation was worse than the pain. Opiods are horrible. I switched to double dosing advil and tylonel for the rest of the time.

Recovery was supposed to be 12 months with rehab starting after 8 weeks. My recovery was longer than expected, took about 16 months.

I have a good 8-10" scar down my back and my shoulder still hurts at times but nothing like before Surgery. Hurts worse when the weather gets cold out. I was so bad Kibler rated my injury a 10 and said surgery would get me down to a 4-6.. I'd say I'm a 5.
That hurts from here.

Reactions: GUNNER75 and padom

I was sent down to Kibler in Kentucky for consultation by my ortho up here in the Philly area who is a Rothman fellowship surgeon. Kibler Confirmed the injury and scheduled me for surgery 2 months later (May 2019).. at this point I was in debilitating pain, couldn't get out of bed some days.

Damn!
That sounds nasty!

Alrighty then. Five days out from a joint replacement and I am pain free at this point. The high octane meds aren't needed today.

I was able to sleep well last night with my sling in place. I don't want to be stupid and use my left arm without being fully awake. That would be very painful.

I am taking Meloxicam once daily, I think it some kind of super aspirin. I will be wearing a sling for a few more weeks but I can remove it when I'm sitting around watching the boob tube and doing my stretches.

So far, so good.

Reactions: padom and Maggot
No personal surg, but studied with the most famous surgeon in the world, who invented the Shoulder replacement, and I scrubbed on the first one ever done.

Pain is much worse than hip replacement. Hip rehab is easier. Just walk

Ice is your friend
When permitted your exercises and PT are critical for recovery. U must do them as much as 5 sets per day.

For shoulder surgery it is 20% the surgery and 80% your motivation to exercise and recover
good luck.

No personal surg, but studied with the most famous surgeon in the world, who invented the Shoulder replacement, and I scrubbed on the first one ever done.

Ice is your friend
When permitted your exercises and PT are critical for recovery. U must do them as much as 5 sets per day.

For shoulder surgery it is 20% the surgery and 80% your motivation to exercise and recover
good luck.

I had one of those ice circulation machines. Machine sits on the ground, fill eith water and ice...slip into the shoulder sling type thing and connect hoses and turn it on. Was a lifesaver.

Agreed PT was key to recovery

Ice is your friend

good luck.
Who was that physician? My hip surgeon is pretty well known. when I moved to Oklahoma and went to see the ortho guy here turns out he was reading an article by my guy in Virginia, John Edwards.

Who was that physician? My hip surgeon is pretty well known. when I moved to Oklahoma and went to see the ortho guy here turns out he was reading an article by my guy in Virginia, John Edwards.
Charles S. Neer II

Ladies, Gentlemen,

My whole story starts the day I was getting up off the floor. I put my right hand down to steady myself and help me stand up. I heard my cuff tear and then a quick "pop POP" and I was in a world of hurt. I tried to fix it myself thinking that I could still use my arm so the damage couldn't be all that bad. I was wrong. I managed to destroy my right cuff and tear two of the four bicep tendons. Just about every time I would reach out forward, like picking up a sponge, would cause real pain.

I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Stayner at Northern Rocky Orthopedics to see what needs to be done. After general x-rays, the doctor sent me for an MRI of both shoulders. Come to find out, my left shoulder is just as bad as the damage to the right shoulder and reccomended a reverse joint replacement because my cuff and two tendons were beyond repair. Same with my left shoulder. I was hoping I wouldn't need to repair the left shoulder because that's my retarded hand and I thought I didn't need a repair.

I am at ten days post surgery on my left shoulder. My range of motion is much better than pre-op.

I have been sleeping well and I haven't needed opioids since last Thursday afternoon.

I have been doing stretching and very easy ROM movements many times a day.

I know it doesn't sound very wonderful but I am able to remove a can of Copenhagen from my left rear pocket of my pants. I realize that doesn't seem like a big deal. When your time comes, you will find out how hard I've been working on my PT.

When I had my right shoulder fixed in March(14th) it took me about 3 months of constant stretching to be able to take my wallet out of my right rear pocket and I don't want to do that part again. I was able to cast a flyrod but I couldn't takie my wallet out of my pocket.

I went to PT 3 times a week for 6 weeks. All of the six weeks were spent on ROM with very little use of my muscles. Basiclly, I either laid on my back or sat in a chair while a pleasant young lady moving my arm around for 45 minutes and send me home. I can do all of my PT by myself and save a thousand dollars to buy more ammunition and reloading supplies.

I am able to drive safely with both hands on the steering wheel and I'm back to wiping my ass with my left hand already, all of the practicing I did to train my right hand to do that task was useful last week.

In my opinion, the surgery I had done, a full reverse joint replacement, is way, way easier and way,way less painful and debilitating than a rotator cuff repair, no doubt about it. I say this because I helped my wife with her PT after a partial cuff tear a few years ago. My wife is no sissy and is the mother of our kids. She even told me the pain from the repair is worse than delivering a child. I believe her.

Anyway, if anybody cares,

I would be happy to answer any questions, let me know.

Reactions: Aftermath and fx77
Ladies, Gentlemen,

My whole story starts the day I was getting up off the floor. I put my right hand down to steady myself and help me stand up. I heard my cuff tear and then a quick "pop POP" and I was in a world of hurt. I tried to fix it myself thinking that I could still use my arm so the damage couldn't be all that bad. I was wrong. I managed to destroy my right cuff and tear two of the four bicep tendons. Just about every time I would reach out forward, like picking up a sponge, would cause real pain.

I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Stayner at Northern Rocky Orthopedics to see what needs to be done. After general x-rays, the doctor sent me for an MRI of both shoulders. Come to find out, my left shoulder is just as bad as the damage to the right shoulder and reccomended a reverse joint replacement because my cuff and two tendons were beyond repair. Same with my left shoulder. I was hoping I wouldn't need to repair the left shoulder because that's my retarded hand and I thought I didn't need a repair.

I am at ten days post surgery on my left shoulder. My range of motion is much better than pre-op.

I have been sleeping well and I haven't needed opioids since last Thursday afternoon.

I know it doesn't sound very wonderful but I am able to remove a can of Copenhagen from my left rear pocket of my pants. I realize that doesn't seem like a big deal. When your time comes, you will find out how hard I've been working on my PT.

When I had my right shoulder fixed in March(14th) it took me about 3 months of constant stretching to be able to take my wallet out of my right rear pocket and I don't want to do that part again. I was able to cast a flyrod but I couldn't takie my wallet out of my pocket.

I went to PT 3 times a week for 6 weeks. All of the six weeks were spent on ROM with very little use of my muscles. Basiclly, I either laid on my back or sat in a chair while a pleasant young lady moving my arm around for 45 minutes and send me home. I can do all of my PT by myself and save a thousand dollars to buy more ammunition and reloading supplies.

I am able to drive safely with both hands on the steering wheel and I'm back to wiping my ass with my left hand already, all of the practicing I did to train my right hand to do that task was useful last week.

In my opinion, the surgery I had done, a full reverse joint replacement, is way, way easier and way,way less painful and debilitating than a rotator cuff repair, no doubt about it. I say this because I helped my wife with her PT after a partial cuff tear a few years ago. My wife is no sissy and is the mother of our kids. She even told me the pain from the repair is worse than delivering a child. I believe her.

Gentlemen?

Ladies, Gentlemen,

Did you only go to PT for six weeks total?

At the seventh week of my PT is when all the fun begins I'm only a week 3 1/2 and yeah it's mostly I'll range of motion and mobility.

I had the same surgery done on my right shoulder in March of this year and did six weeks of paid for PT.

My six weeks of PT was nothing more than assisted ROM stretching and no strenthening. I will do the same for myself and save a little money for myself.

After 6 weeks I will start strengthening the shoulder muscles with isometrics and life in general.

Fucking cunts.

Not what I was looking for, but found these old post-op pics. 4 days after surgery, wife was changing the bandage. The bruising went halfway across my chest.

The house pics were a couple months later. I was on a ladder right at the door, reaching up to cut the tyvek at the peak. Reached a little too far. Oops!! :ROFLMAO: Had to completely redo the tyvek, that peak was the last bit that needed to be done. Bitch of it was I had just thought about getting down and moving the ladder. But it was lunchtime and I was in a hurry. My nephew was with me and I told him we'd go out deer hunting that afternoon.

And WTF?!?! Where did all that brown hair go? :(

v9trfRP.jpg

Reactions: fx77 and Maggot
I had the same surgery done on my right shoulder in March of this year and did six weeks of paid for PT.

My six weeks of PT was nothing more than assisted ROM stretching and no strenthening. I will do the same for myself and save a little money for myself.

After 6 weeks I will start strengthening the shoulder muscles with isometrics and life in general.

Fucking cunts.
Sorry, but your Dr failed you. 6 weeks is just ROM to allow things to heal and remain pliable. If you're really lucky I'll start you on light resistance exercises on week 5. But generally, any shoulder takes 3 to 6 months to heal properly and be functional. And as far as grabbing stuff out of your back pocket, I'd be wary of that. Internal rotation leads to subluxation and those RTSAs are a bitch and painful to put back.

Starting week 6 tomorrow. One week two my ROM had exceeded what all my therapy friends typically seen by week 6. I repeatedly heard "your surgeon did a fantastic job". Really had zero discomfort and pain up to this last Friday.

A week ago I started Isometric Shoulder Rotation / Abduction. Went home a little fatigued, not bad at all.
This last Friday ........ Pulleys, wooden stick, basically assisting my self with range of motion, etc. I left and let me tell you I felt that one.

I may of mentioned earlier.....My wife is a Physical Therapist. (No she is not doing my therapy, her ex employees at the local hospital/clinic are. I know them all very well)

Only issue I had was in my wrist. Turns out it was Gout, got that shit in my left foot this last weekend. That shit hurts!!! Wanted to cut my damn foot off! (And my wrist on week two)

Some surgeons suggest ibuprofen and some do not. Mine strictly suggested NONE until my wrist issue a week after surgery. I phoned and was told to take 4 Ibuprofen and two Tylenol as needed.

I have been scared to death of re tearing my arm. Little snow and Ice and I get nervous as hell. So far no issues. I have found my pocket knife in my right rear pocket..........WTH? LOL.

Couple things......
-I don't like help from others.
-Oxy doesn't like me and I don't shit for a week after the few times of taking it.
-I need some serious trigger therapy. (Fired off a few rounds from my S&W 686 just to say I did........from my left hand lol)
-Be ambidextrous when it comes to wiping your ass. This one was tough for me......still not used to it.
-Get in better shape before any surgery. A year and a half ago I decided I was tired of being a fat boy......Lost 115lbs. Can't imagine going through this being a fat fuck.
-Gout sucks
-I've had worse hangovers than torn rotator cuff pain after surgery.

Good Luck Maggot!!!!