• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have a DIY Deployment Kit?

XRanger08

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2014
Pennslyvania
I am looking to build my own Deployment kit for my custom built rifle once it is all finished. I am curious if anyone on here has done anything like this before? I mean an actual deployment kit like you see for the HK417/416 SEAL/SOCOM's not just a rifle in a hard case. Tentatively I want to fit my Bolt gun in a CADEX Chassis with scope, Kestrel 4500, Atlas Bipod, Small OTIS cleaning kit, couple extra magazines, Sniper Data Book, SOCOM Mini Suppressor, and my Sig Sauer Scorpion 4.25". It looks like the Pelican 1770 is the best case for all of these items as it measures 54.58" x 15.58" x 8.63" Interior and 57.42" x 18.48" x 11.23" Exterior. Anyone put one together? Or have any pictures of the ones they might have put together?

P1060903.jpg

Last edited:
This is going to be for more of a "Bug Out" situation. When SHTF I want to be able to get my "Go Bag" and grab the Deployment Kit in one shot, get in my truck with the wife and get out of dodge ASAP.

What sort of situation is that? Where are you going to go?

The foam cutting geeks are hyper excited looking at that box.

Personally I'm big on garbage bags and shopping carts

This is going to be for more of a "Bug Out" situation. When SHTF I want to be able to get my "Go Bag" and grab the Deployment Kit in one shot, get in my truck with the wife and get out of dodge ASAP.

I don't have a kit quite like the one you described for the following reasons:

In a true "Bug Out" situation, a precision rifle would be pretty far down my list of priorities. Food, water, medications, suitable clothing, a concealable pistol and maybe a lightweight carbine/ammo would be my top choices. A set up like VJJ showed probably weighs around 50 pounds(The empty Pelican is over 20 with nothing in it). They are big and bulky, hard to maneuver and impossible to hide. They are very nice for protecting your gear, but mobility suffers tremendously.
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/8717796/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Gotta love these posts. Gonna get in my truck and get outta dodge... Why not stay and fight? Gas stations will be clogged, roads blocked. Hell you're probably better off to keep beer in the fridge and party for a while. Find some broads and have a good time.

Forget about a BOB or home deployment kit,

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Gotta love these posts. Gonna get in my truck and get outta dodge... Why not stay and fight? Gas stations will be clogged, roads blocked. Hell you're probably better off to keep beer in the fridge and party for a while. Find some broads and have a good time.

Yep! I could see having to leave for some localized environmental disaster, but in that case, you don't need to be shooting anyone at precision rifle range anyway.

It's a neato concept, looks cool and could be handy as heck if you keep a full kit per rifle or just have 1 rifle and live in some place like maybe Syria. IMHO kitting out like that for civilians that aren't competition shooters seems to me to come from the same sort of self-aggrandizing thinking that makes people go all mall ninja on their AR's. If it's just because it looks cool and you want that, that's fine but for TEOTWAWKI it strikes me as impractical. For moving gear from home to the field, it's really nice to drag only 1 box from the car to the firing line even if the 1 box is heavy as hell.

It takes me about 10 minutes to get everything pulled out of proper storage locations and put into the Pelican case for just 1 rifle. The case ends up weighing ~50lbs with 100 rounds of rifle ammo in it (belted magnums) so it's not really truly portable so much as transportable. My Pelicans for my big rifles have electronic and non-electronic DOPE provisioning, 100 rounds, short and long bipods, log books, cleaning kit, map set, sling, rifle, binoculars, kestrel, IR thermometer, hygrometer, torque wrench + bits, GPS, compass and batteries plus the 18lbs rifle.

I did it just because it puts all my stuff in one box that I can get into my tiny little car and it makes it hard to forget things. That's super handy in my case. It's a big rifle and a itty bitty car and a lot of pieces of kit.

Not commenting on reason for any of this because you just never know what will or could happen.

I would go back to drawing board and dump heavy cases.

You need to go with ruck, Load Bearing Gear and rifle. Ruck carries everything but Load bearing gear, rifle and scope. It can all fit in one of the large rolling duffel bags and always ready to roll. With this set up you can keep rifle in safe until needed and rest of gear in duffel.

Get a drag bag to protect weapon in vehicle.

Remember if you can not carry it on your body it will be left behind. That's how you pack to deploy.

You can keep resupply items in another duffel but what you need rides your body

Last edited:
VJJ-That is pretty much the same setup I a looking to do. It appears that my intentional vagueness behind my whole purpose is letting the "Haters", IE those who comment about dildos, troll already. I am not traveling hundred of miles away with no plan. I am traveling under 50 miles to a friends house so we can "Bug In" there.

Last edited:

The plan is to stay and fight. Just have to get to my set Rally Point and "Bug In". This is the main reason for the kit. When SHTF, no one will have the time to be delicate with almost anything. Food, water, and medical supplies are already at my destination. Getting my rifles there is my primary concern.

You're the guy in movies that's still partying as the big monster/catastrophe approaches and people yell at the screen "what an idiot, why didn't he leave!" I'm just going to say "that's Northern50 dude, he's good people".

Haha

I think the need to have a long range precision weapon in a realistic bug out situation is kinda absurd.
But in the case of a New Orleans/Fukushima scenario I think our family is covered.
We have a bug out kit that contains food/water for a couple of weeks, prescription meds for 6 months and a 10-22 takedown with ammo.
About 2 hours from where I live, in a very secluded area (the last couple of miles is 4x4 only, and even that is iffy in the wet) I have a permanently set up canvas tent that no one knows about.

JMHO and I know does not account for much; however, if you plan on "bugging in" with only the contents you can fit in a rifle case you won't last very long. As a "range case" is set for a day at the range and includes everything for a casual day of shooting you might get away with what you can stuff in one pelican case. Now if I had to pack my trash and hold up in a buddies property, I would be more concerned about not having enough room in my truck to haul all of my trash. In that situation pelican cases are good for firearms and mags but you will have tubs of other stuff like ammo, reloading supplies, food, water, medical.... and the list goes on and on. Remember that these "deployment kits" that you are referring to are also supported by the one thing you won't have and that is a full time supply system that continually funnels required items as they are needed. You don't have that option as you take everything with you and when you run out, your out of the fight......permanently:)

JMHO and I know does not account for much; however, if you plan on "bugging in" with only the contents you can fit in a rifle case you won't last very long... Now if I had to pack my trash and hold up in a buddies property, I would be more concerned about not having enough room in my truck to haul all of my trash. In that situation pelican cases are good for firearms and mags but you will have tubs of other stuff like ammo, reloading supplies, food, water, medical.... and the list goes on and on. Remember that these "deployment kits" that you are referring to are also supported by the one thing you won't have and that is a full time supply system that continually funnels required items as they are needed. You don't have that option as you take everything with you and when you run out, your out of the fight......permanently:)

The plan is to stay and fight. Just have to get to my set Rally Point and "Bug In". This is the main reason for the kit. When SHTF, no one will have the time to be delicate with almost anything. Food, water, lots of ammo, and medical supplies are already at my destination. Getting my rifles there is my primary concern.

50 miles might as well be 500 miles in that kind of situation and I'd figure on having your rifle and pistol at hand instead of locked away in a box. A plan like that should be considered carefully, dry runs done, etc... When you bug out so will everyone else. Pelican cased kits like that are epic for range trips but for a git-away I'd wrap it in a blanket instead. You can use the blanket later to keep warm.

Anecdote: 35 years ago my whole town had to bug out pretty much at once because of a minor disaster. We only had to get a few miles to the next town to reach safety but, safety such as it was might as well have been on the moon. Suffice it to say the trip was arduous and it became a what-you-can-carry sort of situation pretty quickly.

I would suggest looking at an Eberlestock ruck that has the rifle sheath built into it. G3 Series Phantom or Operator.

I would be toting an AR or such in something like an Eberletock bag. Plenty of ammo. Id rather have more ammo swapped out for ballistic devices/bulky lrfs and go off of a shot I see. Most shots wont be as far as you might think. WIth an accurate AR you can cover your bases.

I would suggest looking at an Eberlestock ruck that has the rifle sheath built into it. G3 Series Phantom or Operator.
+1 On the Eberlestock, when I did my fun at the beach with no ocean I used the good ole gubment issue multicam assaultpack with a scabbard hanging off the side.

Just need to decide how much you want to spend on your shtf doomsday prepper gear.

Wrong gun to throw in a SHTF or bail out bag. You want a lightweight set up you can move quickly and engage targets from 25 - 300 yds comfortably and quickly.

Wrong gun to throw in a SHTF or bail out bag. You want a lightweight set up you can move quickly and engage targets from 25 - 300 yds comfortably and quickly.

That is already taken care of with the wife's rifle. Her SCAR 17s will take care of anything out to 400m and she is very good with it.

SHTF options --- that depends a LOT of exactly what kind of "shit"

Plan A -- Stay home. All my food, water, ammo, scotch, guns, beer, soft bed, sources of heat, wine, clear fields of fire, etc etc
Plan B -- What's wrong with plan A?
Plan C -- Ok...I really really need to GTFO, but have time. Spend all day packing the truck with long term survival / camping stuff, food/water, chain saw, gas cans, water purification, make a plan about where and why to go.
Plan D -- HOLY SHIT, did you see that _________ !?!? (insert um....mushroom cloud, battalion of russian paratroopers, approaching cloud of chlorine gas) Grab wife, 2 AR's, get on quad, bug out.

It's been said a thousand times, but worth repeating. Why are you "bugging out" and where are you "bugging out" to? You can only carry so much stuff wether it's in a pack or a pickup. Grabbing a pack full of guns and ammo and running to the top of a mountain is going to make for some cold/hungry nights real quick. A truck full of stuff will last a bit longer, especially if you don't take a metric ton of ammo and remember some food, but that will run out too and then what? Maybe head towards a buddy/relative home somewhere else? Ok, also remember that the roads will be fucked. Gas stations fucked. Grocery stores fucked. It's just worth giving thought to why, where, and how you consider bugging out in a major event.

I live in the Seattle area and work downtown, we are due for a major earthquake some day. I do have a pack in my car that is packed with the assumption I am walking home the 31 miles from work. Food bars, water, space blanket, fire starter, flashlight, rain cape, etc. I also have enough food/water and sleeping bag in my trunk to stay at the office a few days if needed.

That's just my $.02