• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone heard of Drivewise'

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I just went with new insrance company and theyre trying to get me to join something called 'Drivewise'. As close as I can figure, you download an app to youre phone that moniters you. If thats it Im not interested even if yor save a bit.

i had friends that drove local commercial routes, like for grocery chains. they had devices in the trucks that monitored location and speed and were penalized for being late but also for speeding, lol.

i had friends that drove local commercial routes, like for grocery chains. they had devices in the trucks that monitored location and speed and were penalized for being late but also for speeding, lol.

The company I work for runs trackers with forward and driver facing cameras in moat of the class 6-8 trucks. We can pull up faults and some live data as well. They've saved quite a few drivers that were involved in accidents. Two years ago you couldn't have convinced me it would be a good idea, but I've changed my mind after seeing the videos and how they've helped.

Reactions: Maggot
    a google search brought up an FAQ with this gem

How does Drivewise work?​

Drivewise offers personalized driving insights and rewards for safe driving from the convenience of the Allstate® mobile app. Drivewise will use your driving behaviors to help calculate your policy premium, giving you more transparency and control over your price.

My answer, FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQUE

I recently changed insurance companies, I am not going to name names as they would probably get in trouble for this. The lady I was working with said that it might be possible to get a discount if you install an app and drive safe, then she promptly said I suggest you don't do this as it rarely works in your favor :D

A buddy has an "app" on his phone, and he stated it "dings him" for sudden stops, fast accelerations from traffic lights, etc. It even tracks the movement when he is not driving, as he got a "ding" when riding with someone who did some "youngster" or hot rod driving one day. He does have the ability to indicate he was not driving in the app on that particular ding, but they have a record of your movements.

That’s a big fat “Fuck No” for me. If I’m driving, I’m speeding. Like most of us, I’m sure, I rarely do the speed limit. Around here, if you do the speed limit, you are a serious road hazard. My insurance would triple if they tracked me. That said, I am an extremely safe, and conscientious driver. I’m 61, and had my last accident when I was 18.

a google search brought up an FAQ with this gem

How does Drivewise work?​

Drivewise offers personalized driving insights and rewards for safe driving from the convenience of the Allstate® mobile app. Drivewise will use your driving behaviors to help calculate your policy premium, giving you more transparency and control over your price.

My answer, FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQUE

I recently changed insurance companies, I am not going to name names as they would probably get in trouble for this. The lady I was working with said that it might be possible to get a discount if you install an app and drive safe, then she promptly said I suggest you don't do this as it rarely works in your favor :D
    This kind of touches on exactly what I was going too say. They are looking for excuses to raise your rates with these, not lower them.

Reactions: Bender
    All of the major auto insurance companies are offering these now. The only ones that save money are the "insurers".

F..... No.

Reactions: gigamortis
    State Farm called me yesterday to apologize for the absolute shit service I received after being run off the road by an uninsured motorist. Said they replaced personnel and policies which led to poor service. We then reviewed my plan and she was very enthusiastic about selling me on Drive Safe. Realized it was a sales call. Hard FUCk NO for me and told her why. She said, everyone steals your data already so why not take the savings. I said yeah but I’m not going to start helping them steal it. Pissed me off. I no longer trust anything unless it’s my idea or I do it myself

How is this any different than what On Star has been doing for years?
    When I purchased my last truck it came with a “free” year of On Star monitoring. I never signed up for it and haven’t ever subscribed to their offerings yet I still get updates 2.5 yrs later to my email telling me all about my vehicles current condition. What exactly is On Star doing with this info? No need to answer, I know what they’re doing…..

• Haha
    That’s a big fat “Fuck No” for me. If I’m driving, I’m speeding. Like most of us, I’m sure, I rarely do the speed limit. Around here, if you do the speed limit, you are a serious road hazard. My insurance would triple if they tracked me. That said, I am an extremely safe, and conscientious driver. I’m 61, and had my last accident when I was 18.
    In Texas, speed limits are only a suggestion. Hard no for me too.

The company I work for runs trackers with forward and driver facing cameras in moat of the class 6-8 trucks. We can pull up faults and some live data as well. They've saved quite a few drivers that were involved in accidents. Two years ago you couldn't have convinced me it would be a good idea, but I've changed my mind after seeing the videos and how they've helped.
    We have cameras in every single company vehicle, from the managers' SUVs to our tractor-trailers. Most often they're used to fire someone who didn't put on their seatbelt to back up three feet and bumped into something.

I would never used one of the telemetry type apps for insurance, and I drive very safe, last and only ticket on my record going on three decades ago and one accident in my life that was my fault. With a CDL where I have to report any ticket to my employer, I'm always doing the speed limit on cruise control, although Wyoming's very generous speed limits of 70 on back roads and 80 on the freeway means I'm never getting there slow. The insurers advertise the shit out of those programs because they are a huge money maker for them, and their annual financial reports even say as much. Geico was slow to implement theirs and significantly lagged behind the competition financially as a result, there's articles out there about it.

It would be as dumb as calling your homeowner's insurance company to ask if you can get a rider for the 49.9 lbs of gunpowder you have in the basement.

Not only no, but fuck no.

99.9% of insurance companies are scum and will look for any reason to raise your rates. Even if you have been with them for years and never cost them a fucking penny. I don't need them telling me I drove 5mph over the speed limit last Tuesday, so that will be another $52 a month on your premium. I'm spied on enough as it is, I don't need my insurance company doing the same to save $6.20 every six months.

We have cameras in every single company vehicle, from the managers' SUVs to our tractor-trailers. Most often they're used to fire someone who didn't put on their seatbelt to back up three feet and bumped into something.

I would never used one of the telemetry type apps for insurance, and I drive very safe, last and only ticket on my record going on three decades ago and one accident in my life that was my fault. With a CDL where I have to report any ticket to my employer, I'm always doing the speed limit on cruise control, although Wyoming's very generous speed limits of 70 on back roads and 80 on the freeway means I'm never getting there slow. The insurers advertise the shit out of those programs because they are a huge money maker for them, and their annual financial reports even say as much. Geico was slow to implement theirs and significantly lagged behind the competition financially as a result, there's articles out there about it.

It would be as dumb as calling your homeowner's insurance company to ask if you can get a rider for the 49.9 lbs of gunpowder you have in the basement.
    You only have 49.9 lbs?

Asking for a friend.

No ins co would insure me if it was mandatory I use one, no one has ever called me a good driver.

I did the progressive plug in monitors on 3 of my vehicles.

I drive 1 to the dump every month or so, and the other 2 didn't need to move in the 6 months they were watching them.

Dropped my rate to next to nothing on all 3 since they could confirm they don't really move much.

I just drove my work truck pretty much everywhere while they were watching. Unplugged the devices and mailed them back. Continued with my life.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
    Look up gunpowder storage requirements for your state. 50 lbs is almost always the max cutoff you can have in a residence before you have to build a storage magazine >1000ft off site.

So yes, 49.9 lbs is all I have.
    How do store this? Just asking. I try to keep it spread out in two rooms and not on the same shelves. Maybe this would make a good thread. Safe gun powder storage ideas. I only have 49.99999lbs too!

How do store this? Just asking. I try to keep it spread out in two rooms and not on the same shelves. Maybe this would make a good thread. Safe gun powder storage ideas. I only have 49.99999lbs too!

Just don't worry about it.

Unless you want to store it under a sprinkler head, you're not going to make a difference.

Smokeless is actually fairly hard to ignite. If it does, you just let the firemen know so they don't go in. Just let it burn out.

Not insurance related but I have Moto-Safety devices. One OBDII in my daughters pickup, One wired in my Polaris Ranger, and one rechargeable unit I use when I loan out equipment and or need to track something. These have come in super handy. The OBDII unit provides full data on speeding, braking, etc. (My daughter is a A+ driver) If my folks would have put one in my first car, well, I would have had to walk a lot!

I've had State Farm my whole life and wasn't aware they had something similar. No way in hell would they suggest I get one as they know what I have in my vehicle arsenal. LOL

Same answer as to how much I have. Per regulation.

Standards are a web search away, but vary by state and locality making expanding further on it here potentiality misinformative. You’ll typically find it under fire codes.

Farm Bureau told us we could save 15 to 20% or something on our vehicle insurance if we plugged these little things into our OBD II ports.
    After a month they reported we did too much rural driving
    We have twelve miles of single lane road just to get to a two lane.
    Sent them back................moved on
    They have been a good Ins Co other than that.

If you do decide to take advantage of the savings offered by employing one of these monitoring apps, stay on top of your logs and assign any trips that “ding you” as passenger or Uber/ride share, or something else where you’re not the driver…

The wife and I drive safe enough and make enough money to keep them out of our daily life. I’d rather go back to Facebook, Amazon and Google before I’d put a tracker on my vehicle. And 20% off $300/yr is nothing anyhow.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
    I need a new insurance co. But refuse to give up my data to anything online. Last thing I need is more phone calls and emails to ignore. I need to get out one day and just drive around to local offices, which will limit my choices, but beats the alternative. Ole lady sees adds to get free roof/windows/AC, then bitches about her phone sounding like a slot machine with the constant notifications??

I need a new insurance co. But refuse to give up my data to anything online. Last thing I need is more phone calls and emails to ignore. I need to get out one day and just drive around to local offices, which will limit my choices, but beats the alternative. Ole lady sees adds to get free roof/windows/AC, then bitches about her phone sounding like a slot machine with the constant notifications??
    An alternative is to go straight to the individual company’s website, get the phone number and just call them.

A recent article has Consumer Reports latest ranking for companies.

Reactions: BAMAboy18
    An alternative is to go straight to the individual company’s website, get the phone number and just call them.

A recent article has Consumer Reports latest ranking for companies.

I didnt see it on the list but I had a really good experience with Beacon Insurance. House got burglarized and they went over and above to see that I got fairly recompensed.

I didnt see it on the list but I had a really good experience with Beacon Insurance. House got burglarized and they went over and above to see that I got fairly recompensed.
    Small player, and more than a few independent outfits operating under the same name with little to no centralization. Those are sometimes great options and sometimes horrible, very hit and miss. They’re the type you get to know long before you give them any money.

Here’s another thought. Get the insurance. Get a burner phone. Put the app on the burner phone. Leave the burner at home, except when you drive to church on Sunday.

Funny, everyone is against Drivewise style tracking when your phone is already doing this and your vehicle probably is, too.
    Lol, I have not heard where ins companies have access to your phone or On Star<only one I know of.

Lol, I have not heard where ins companies have access to your phone or On Star<only one I know of.
    Since the early 2000's most cars have data loggers that hold anywhere from a few days of data up. Combination of inertial measurements and control positions. Your insurance company will down load it after an accident. Newer cars, about the last 5 years or so, can be tracked by the company who made them whether you pay for an On Star type service or not.

Your Android phone knows everywhere it goes whether you have GPS "turned on" or not. I would guess an iPhone does the same thing.

I'm waiting to take the State Farm tracker off road. I don't know if any insurance company has a discount with a phone app that doesn't use a device in the car.

I'm waiting to take the State Farm tracker off road. I don't know if any insurance company has a discount with a phone app that doesn't use a device in the car.
    Progressive has an app or an in-car device. Not both. You choose which to use.