• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anyone hunt coyotes with FFP?

Coyote Kev

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2018
Pierre SD
Seems like all the cool new “tactical” scopes are FFP. I like tactical scopes but I’ve yet to buy a FFP due to my assumptions that they wouldn’t be very good for coyote hunting. So the problem is that in my area a coyote can come from almost anywhere. So if you’re smart you always sit with your scope at lowest power because you might have to quickly put it on a coyote that just popped over a hill at 75 yards. The FFP scopes I’ve looked at have such a small and fine reticle at lowest power as to make them almost unuseable on a dark target against a dark background at close range. Anybody out there use their FFP scope in exactly this way and love it?

I used a tango 4 at 55 yards (came out at 32) walked the wrong direction. It’s a 6-24 scope, I had it on 6... has a variable illumation of the reticle so it works great in low light as well.

Attachments

• 14970103-60E9-4484-AD94-8B7F438CC78B.jpeg
    14970103-60E9-4484-AD94-8B7F438CC78B.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: RNWRKNP
I have a couple of USO 1-8 ST8C and an NF 1-8 ATACR and have used these a lot. We are shooting movers out of vehicles and they work great.

Reactions: Alarka
MILR reticle works great and at low light I kick on the illumination that helps as well. At the center of the reticle is essentially a box, box over center mass and pull the trigger. Spend a little time with dry fire and transitioning from target to target and I think you’ll love it. For the money, the Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 with MILR is a solid option but there are others out there that work equally well. Instead of trying to use or see the exact center I use a section of the center or ‘box’.

You have to make sure your reticle is perfectly useable at the lowest power. Great example—Bushnell LRHSI 4.5-18 w/ the donut of death.

If you don’t have a donut or something else that’s very visible at your lowest power you better have a great illum reticle.

I have a Burris XTR II (5-25x) on my coyote gun and enjoy it. At the lower powers you can’t really make out the hold marks on the reticle but at those distances you don’t really need to holdover anyways.

The long shots is where the FFP shines though of course.

Reactions: GeoffatBurris
Point and click at 75yds.

You can’t see the reticle enough to put the center of the optic on the target and pull trigger?

Reactions: 300 grainpill
I only use FFP scopes and have taken several yotes with a few different ones. No issues at all. Took two in one outing with my 2.5-10 FFP on my .223 AR.

Hi,

Wait until you finally try the new variable focal plane with dual throw levers.
You will be selling every scope you have that has a dedicated focal plane, whether it is first, second or third.

Sincerely,
Theis
No idea what you're talking about. Sounds pretty cool unless you are just filling me full of shit.

My only SFP scope is on my super lightweight walk around varmint rifle, half for PD's or jacks, and half for yotes. It's for the same style of hunting you mentioned and in the closer together junipers, great for 300Y and in. I leave this SFP scope on 4x for yotes, 10x for holdovers, and 16x when I dial. I just don't want to be in a situation where there is doubt, meaning I want to pull the rifle up and see the reticle plainly, and there's something about a standard mildot that works great for hunting. Granted my eyes aren't 20/20 like when I was younger.

For longer anticipated distances I just use my tactical rifle with FFP.

I use L&S mk6 3-18x T3 on 3x with T3 with no illum ... behind thermal clipon ... works fine ... in theory i could invert if needed .. but haven't needed to ...

Reactions: Hootiewho
The LRHS has a great option for this type of shooting with the donut that’s designed to be used at low power.

Then again, my FFP scopes work fine on low power. I’m not using holdovers when I’m on 4x. If the target is far enough away that I need to use holdovers then I’m not on 4x.

Hi,

Wait until you finally try the new variable focal plane with dual throw levers.
You will be selling every scope you have that has a dedicated focal plane, whether it is first, second or third.

Sincerely,
Theis

Are these government contact overrun counter sniperscopes?

• Haha
Reactions: Badfinger
I have some offset iron sights on my calling AR. Haven't had a situation that I couldn't get on them with a LRHS set at 4.5 though. Closest one has been under 25 yards. Most are 150 plus.

Reactions: lou400a
Yup, been using my AMG the last couple years on coyotes and love it. Holdovers work well on every power setting. Where I hunt, I can easily have shots out to 1000 yards on coyotes that don't want to come in to a call and feel safe in the distance. I can also get them running in to 50 yards, where I just hold on fur in the scope and down they go.

Most my shots are 150-200 yards. I'm not gonna holdover anything. I just worry about having nothing but the thicker outer lines to use to try to center a shot on a dark target at low power. Seems like I'm not the only one thinking this way.

If you’re never going to use hold overs then there is not benefit to FFP in my experience. It only costs more. That being said, I use either my 3-18 Razor on one gun and a 2.5-10nxs on another. Never felt like I missed a shot because of the scope

Seems like all the cool new “tactical” scopes are FFP. I like tactical scopes but I’ve yet to buy a FFP due to my assumptions that they wouldn’t be very good for coyote hunting. So the problem is that in my area a coyote can come from almost anywhere. So if you’re smart you always sit with your scope at lowest power because you might have to quickly put it on a coyote that just popped over a hill at 75 yards. The FFP scopes I’ve looked at have such a small and fine reticle at lowest power as to make them almost unuseable on a dark target against a dark background at close range. Anybody out there use their FFP scope in exactly this way and love it?

I have an FFP.

I guess I am not smart as I do not sit with it at lowest power when hunting coyotes or anything else (mostly pigs).

... If you’re never going to use hold overs then there is not benefit to FFP ...

Haha ... well I didn't buy my FFP scopes specifically to hunt yotes ... I bought them for long distance shooting day or night ... but it does turn out and most of the yotes for me are gotten within 200yds where "the critter is the reticle" ...

However, it does turn out that FFP scopes offer no impediment to hunting yotes at night and the ability to hold with the reticle is there if and when needed. And I can leave the FFP scopes on the rifles regardless of what I am using them for.

Haha ... well I didn't buy my FFP scopes specifically to hunt yotes ... I bought them for long distance shooting day or night ... but it does turn out and most of the yotes for me are gotten within 200yds where "the critter is the reticle" ...

However, it does turn out that FFP scopes offer no impediment to hunting yotes at night and the ability to hold with the reticle is there if and when needed. And I can leave the FFP scopes on the rifles regardless of what I am using them for.
Is there a reason you’re quoting me?

I was responding the the OP in post 25 where he said he won’t ever use holdnovers

Sure do. March 3-24 and Vortex HD LH 3-15. Both work really well.

100 and in (most desert shots) would be an Eotech with magnifier pulled off to the side most of the time and a long gun parked on a bipod for the smart ass that decides to squat at 300. Snuggle up in some cover and use a 12 gage out to 50 with no scope and probably kill as many dogs as you would a rifle. Lot of different ways to go about it so just get out there and getr’ done.
Now @steve123’s neck of the woods with those long open meadows is some sweet opportunity for some serious ffp action. Range out some markers and hit the remote? SD and ND.....same rodeo. Had some serious fun in the Boweman area. Limit out on pheasant in the morning and poppin yotes after breakfast.

Reactions: FishinGuns
Most my shots are 150-200 yards. I'm not gonna holdover anything. I just worry about having nothing but the thicker outer lines to use to try to center a shot on a dark target at low power. Seems like I'm not the only one thinking this way.

If you’re never shooting over 200yds, why are you even asking?

Zero at 200, no matter where the coyote is, 50-200, put the crosshairs on it and pull the trigger.

In linear values, you’ll be within 1” no matter what.

Topic is pointless if 200yds is max range. Buy a SFP and go.

In the future, please give us the entire picture. You said “anywhere” and then said as close as 75 yds. Leading most to think you may be shooting much further. With a 200yd limit, makes the entire scenario change.

One stand this winter with the 18x mk5. I just set the power on 6-8 and go with the TMR reticle. I had 4 come in on this stand and it happened fast, dropped first one at 30+/-, next was a running shot 120 and third I barked and stopped him about 220. My other gun has the LRHS 12x on it and have been running it for 3 years and don't feel I've ever gave anything up using FFp

FFP scopes on low power in low light suck compared to SFP scopes under the same circumstances. They can be used with illumination but still fall short to SFP non illuminated scopes especially scopes with thick duplex reticles.

Most of my scopes are FFP but duplex reticles and SFP win over at low light shooting. For the guys that say they can see the ittybbitty reticles, you could see a larger thicker reticle better.

First world problems.......awesome? As long as it works for you, it just doesn’t matter but you won’t know until you try it for yourself now that you have opinions pro and con OP. Good luck and more importantly, have some fun out there?

Reactions: wade2big
If you’re never shooting over 200yds, why are you even asking?
I believe he said most shots are under 200. I've seen him pop them over 5 and 600, and isn't afraid to lob rounds even further. I think the question here arises from the fact that most of new hotness is FFP only. He wants new hotness, but doesn't want it to be a hinderance.

I believe he said most shots are under 200. I've seen him pop them over 5 and 600, and isn't afraid to lob rounds even further. I think the question here arises from the fact that most of new hotness is FFP only. He wants new hotness, but doesn't want it to be a hinderance.

He also said he’s NOT holding over. So again, doesn’t matter.

For years and years. Zero issues. 3.5-10x40 TMR. Set up on 4x and get after it.

I have changed all my scopes except one to FFP. For coyote hunting I would not want a SFP. There are times I can see SFP being a better application, but I don't have any uses for it.

Reactions: Alarka
Seems like all the cool new “tactical” scopes are FFP. I like tactical scopes but I’ve yet to buy a FFP due to my assumptions that they wouldn’t be very good for coyote hunting..……… Anybody out there use their FFP scope in exactly this way and love it?

Look up Specialized Dynamics on FB or instagram. Scott and lots of his pro staff are US Optics shooters. There’s a lot of fur been hung on the receiving end of SD AR’s topped with USO scopes.

On close shots it's not as though I'm worried about the reticle being useless, it about being able to even see the reticle and have something to aim with at the coyote. I'm definitely not gonna just put the yote in the middle of the scope and hope for the best. I always sit with my scope on lowest power, if you don't your gonna get burned. If they are out a ways then you got time to zoom in. I'm a second FP man. Just seeing if there was actually a reason to use one for a calling scope or if I can just tell my buddy once and for all that he's an idiot.

Reactions: Coyote Kev
On close shots it's not as though I'm worried about the reticle being useless, it about being able to even see the reticle and have something to aim with at the coyote. I'm definitely not gonna just put the yote in the middle of the scope and hope for the best. I always sit with my scope on lowest power, if you don't your gonna get burned. If they are out a ways then you got time to zoom in. I'm a second FP man. Just seeing if there was actually a reason to use one for a calling scope or if I can just tell my buddy once and for all that he's an idiot.

I'm confused as to why you would get burned if you're not on the lowest power at close ranges but yet at long distance you would have time to change your magnification ring, verify range and dial your elevation?

Find a FFP scope with a thicker crosshair/reticle and set it at 7-8x. You will not have any trouble seeing the reticle and you aren't losing enough field of view to matter.

Reactions: RTH1800