• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone know anything about .mil tent AC units and .mil generators?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Not stuck on .mil stuff, but it seems to be the only things that actually work/go together without all sorts of electrical craziness and also aren't completely ridiculous prices. The problem is, I know next to nothing about them and don't get the warm and fuzzy feeling from most of the .gov auction places as they all basically list them with a notice that 'this was not function checked' which outside of being completely retarded, makes it a total fucking gamble that its more than just a fucking metal housing with nothing inside of it.

Anyone know anything about this? We are trying to AC a 18x36 MGPTS Gen3 tent that has the hookups for the .mil AC units to flow directly into said tent. The other tidbit of info I have is that for the 648 sq ft the tent has, you'd need somewhere around 20k BTU to make this work well.

I understand you need a .mil generator, as the AC units are wired to work specifically with them. The portable .mil generator is a bonus to me because we'd have a much easier time giving it diesel than we would trying to run any kind of electricity out to where this tent will be.

Basically, what generator do I need, with what plug in AC unit that works with the generator and the tent 'venting', and where the hell do I find them? Or are there better options?

The ones I know our fobbit guys had worked like shit but I had no personal experience with them

Reactions: stefan73
    The ones I know our fobbit guys had worked like shit but I had no personal experience with them

Same.

I know there are different sizes of both generators and AC units and some were wired to a single unit, some were daisy chained to a gigantic unit that looked like a trailer, etc.

But know nothing about them, or how else to cool a 650sq ft tent.

I spent 6 months in an antique US mountain tent near BIAP with a european residential 220v unit cooling it. Worked like a champ except noisy as hell.

I spent 6 months in an antique US mountain tent near BIAP with a european residential 220v unit cooling it. Worked like a champ except noisy as hell.

Have you heard one of those diesel .mil generators? lol

I'd need a generator to run it as we're not near anything electricity wise. I know nothing about any of this lol

I bought some MEP1040s and some Nordic Air 3 ton ECUs on gov.planet. The 10kw, 3 phase generator will run one ECU in heat mode,
    and 3 units in AC. The gensets are really quiet, the ECUs are very noisy.

They are in service at an off grid camp. You may need 2 gensets, one making single phase and the other 3 phase.

Reactions: Forrest84
    I bought some MEP1040s and some Nordic Air 3 ton ECUs on gov.planet. The 10kw, 3 phase generator will run one ECU in heat mode,
    and 3 units in AC. The gensets are really quiet, the ECUs are very noisy.

They are in service at an off grid camp. You may need 2 gensets, one making single phase and the other 3 phase.

What's that fuel consumption lool like ?

I’m not sure what it is as I haven’t looked at it for a while, i check when i can. I have a big military generator that is operated with a 3 cylinder Cummins Diesel engine. It isn’t a self contained unit as it needs a separate fuel and battery setup. It is new with less than 1 hour run time , testing? I am not going to use it as intended so would sell for 1/3 its listed price. $3000 if anyone is interested

I’m not sure what it is as I haven’t looked at it for a while, i check when i can. I have a big military generator that is operated with a 3 cylinder Cummins Diesel engine. It isn’t a self contained unit as it needs a separate fuel and battery setup. It is new with less than 1 hour run time , testing? I am not going to use it as intended so would sell for 1/3 its listed price. $3000 if anyone is interested

Boy yo gone get banned

Prices for later model, operational Mil generators are crazy now. I've been trying to pick up a 30 or 60 KW unit as a 3-phase power source for a decent price and they always get bid up to high dollars. I think the last low-hour 60kw I was watching went for over $15k by the time you add in buyer's premium and tax. Probably not a bad price for what it is but those size units were half that or less just a couple years ago and I was waiting on a better price then. Even the smaller units are going for big bucks.

Both the 1040s are running from a 300 gal tank using the AUX fuel connection, so I don't have a good ideal of real fuel use. I think the TM estimates 0.64 gph. The on board tank will last about 14 hrs so that seems about right. My ECUs came with a cable that has the proper 4 pin military plug at one end and a commercial Hubbel 50 amp 3p at the other.

I have seen DRASH units for sale. They have the genset and ECU mounted on a trailer, ready to go; but more expensive. I paid about
    $300 for the 3 ton ECU

I’m pretty sure we had these on trailers we drug around in the field:

We had one or two guys whose exact MOS was 1161; reefer mech. I’m sure we got one hanging around here somewhere, and If I can find one of my guys ask them.

Not stuck on .mil stuff, but it seems to be the only things that actually work/go together without all sorts of electrical craziness and also aren't completely ridiculous prices. The problem is, I know next to nothing about them and don't get the warm and fuzzy feeling from most of the .gov auction places as they all basically list them with a notice that 'this was not function checked' which outside of being completely retarded, makes it a total fucking gamble that its more than just a fucking metal housing with nothing inside of it.

Anyone know anything about this? We are trying to AC a 18x36 MGPTS Gen3 tent that has the hookups for the .mil AC units to flow directly into said tent. The other tidbit of info I have is that for the 648 sq ft the tent has, you'd need somewhere around 20k BTU to make this work well.

I understand you need a .mil generator, as the AC units are wired to work specifically with them. The portable .mil generator is a bonus to me because we'd have a much easier time giving it diesel than we would trying to run any kind of electricity out to where this tent will be.

Basically, what generator do I need, with what plug in AC unit that works with the generator and the tent 'venting', and where the hell do I find them? Or are there better options?
    Big ass fan and bags of ice. Redneck AC 101

Both the 1040s are running from a 300 gal tank using the AUX fuel connection, so I don't have a good ideal of real fuel use. I think the TM estimates 0.64 gph. The on board tank will last about 14 hrs so that seems about right. My ECUs came with a cable that has the proper 4 pin military plug at one end and a commercial Hubbel 50 amp 3p at the other.

I have seen DRASH units for sale. They have the genset and ECU mounted on a trailer, ready to go; but more expensive. I paid about
    $300 for the 3 ton ECU

Where was this and what ECU was it?

How about checking out machinery auctions?

Or, a much smaller generator and 3 or 4 of these placed into the corners.
    They are vented with a dryer duct sized opening.

I've considered this.

I just dont know if the specs on it are literally bullshit under the best circumstances (see; not in a tent) or if this is some evil genius shit.

gov.planet auction site. I bought 6 of them

3 ton Nordic Air GL0383ZAADWYX11 ECU

Attachments

• aeb5c2ed-0181-4f3e-8d60-50c35d055de1.jpg
      aeb5c2ed-0181-4f3e-8d60-50c35d055de1.jpg
      90 KB · Views: 102
    Whats the budget?
    You could go something like
    Kwikool KPAC 1811-2 (made in USA) portable cooler.
    And a small Honda or Yamaha generator.

You can even rent them from some places.

Honestly I dont even know WTF these are supposed to cost. There are so many models out there I have zero idea what Im even looking for, hence the thread.

At least I have a few model numbers now. All I really want is something that can keep the 18x36 tent cold and a portable generator to run it on. I do have a friend who owns an HVAC company so he may of some help but doubt he knows anything specifically about .mil units.

Honestly I dont even know WTF these are supposed to cost. There are so many models out there I have zero idea what Im even looking for, hence the thread.

At least I have a few model numbers now. All I really want is something that can keep the 18x36 tent cold and a portable generator to run it on. I do have a friend who owns an HVAC company so he may of some help but doubt he knows anything specifically about .mil units.

I dont know jack shit about .mil equipment but show me some specs and I can compare. I do commercial HVAC and these are what they use as temporary applications for server rooms and such and also the weed growers love them for their tents. They move massive amounts of air. All metal design including the blower fan and servicable.

Night and day difference from your Lowes/ Home Depot units.

Heres another https://www.industrialfansdirect.com/products/kib3021-2

Get some 12" flex hose and run the exhaust outside.

You can always use them for a shop or garage or something when its no in a tent. Plugs int a standard wall outlet and draws about 11amps.

Reactions: oneshot86
    I dont know jack shit about .mil equipment but show me some specs and I can compare. I do commercial HVAC and these are what they use as temporary applications for server rooms and such and also the weed growers love them for their tents. They move massive amounts of air. All metal design including the blower fan and servicable.

Night and day difference from your Lowes/ Home Depot units.

Heres another https://www.industrialfansdirect.com/products/kib3021-2

Get some 12" flex hose and run the exhaust outside.

You can always use them for a shop or garage or something when its no in a tent. Plugs int a standard wall outlet and draws about 11amps.

Those are interesting.

Dumb question, I see it mentions this:

• Fully insulated, heavy duty galvanized steel cabinet with KwiKool’s exclusive E-Z Clean™ scratch-resistant attractive two-tone HammerCoat™ epoxy protective finish for optimum durability, efficiency, low maintenance and quiet operation

Does that mean it can sit outside of the tent in the sun, or does this need to be inside? Also how quiet are they?

I’m pretty sure we had these on trailers we drug around in the field:

We had one or two guys whose exact MOS was 1161; reefer mech. I’m sure we got one hanging around here somewhere, and If I can find one of my guys ask them.

See if you can find him an 1169 so he can both maintain the generator and fix the AC unit.

Typically inside. I suppose you could get clever and flex duct the supply and return air. Its basically powder coated sheet metal box. Keep in mind its not really waterproof unless it had its own tent.

Noise is like a loud house fan. Its not the quietest.

Ive ran one off one of these.
    img.jpg

I've considered this.

I just dont know if the specs on it are literally bullshit under the best circumstances (see; not in a tent) or if this is some evil genius shit.

My MIL used one in her west facing 300 sf lanai and it did a pretty good job by itself.
    3 of them should do really well with 500sf

Reactions: oneshot86

Lots of mobile homes down here use complete external ac units that look remarkably like the GI tent units, just a bit smaller and a hell of a lot quieter.
    They run the same 12" ducting under the flooring to the registers.

Your AC guy should be able to get you a mobile home AC unit w heat pump.
    It's a box outside the moblehome that is ducted it.
    Mount it on wheels and build a cool frame for it.
    Wholesale maybe 1500
    But go to that .gov site mike mentioned. It would be nice for a plug and play situation between conditioner, Genset and tent.

So I'm getting a little more dangerous in looking at these.

Can I get away with a 5KW generator or do I need a 10kw?

All I'm wanting to do is sufficiently cool the tent as well as light up some LED lighting around/inside of it and run a radio/speakers.

I've been looking at the 803a generators and now need to figure out the AC unit(s) that work with them and their BTU rating as we'd need something near 20k if I calculated it right.

Your AC guy should be able to get you a mobile home AC unit w heat pump.
    It's a box outside the moblehome that is ducted it.
    Mount it on wheels and build a cool frame for it.
    Wholesale maybe 1500
    But go to that .gov site mike mentioned. It would be nice for a plug and play situation between conditioner, Genset and tent.

I sent him a message about this and am waiting for him to call me to see if this is an option.

Hi,

What about these type units?

Sincerely,
    Theis

Do any of the AC units you found have voltage, amperage, or watts listed? That would give you a good idea if the 5k would run it

Hi,

Sincerely,
    Theis
    One thing to to wary of, r22 refrigerant was banned as of Jan 2020. I’m not sure what the process is for swapping over to a new type of refrigerant if they need a recharge.

I sent him a message about this and am waiting for him to call me to see if this is an option.
    Dude, theres a ca zillion used ones out there.
    Take one to its next level, wheels, cage, paint...peeps will be like, I want one.
    Any sheet metal shop will make you the transition from appliance to tent wall.

So I'm getting a little more dangerous in looking at these.

Can I get away with a 5KW generator or do I need a 10kw?

All I'm wanting to do is sufficiently cool the tent as well as light up some LED lighting around/inside of it and run a radio/speakers.

I've been looking at the 803a generators and now need to figure out the AC unit(s) that work with them and their BTU rating as we'd need something near 20k if I calculated it right.
    I know little about AC units and tents from a cooling HVAC perspective. The BTU ratings are more "output" parameters and are not used to size the generator.

From an electrical perspective you should examine the AC compressor's label for power consumption. AC units usually specify the amperage under continuous conditions or a HP rating on the motor. The HP rating can help us to size the generator. Hopefully, the AC unit will specify its peak power (startup surge) of the AC unit. Motors require a MUCH different current source at startup than when operating. You have to account for that startup surge when sizing the generator or there may be small voltage sags (like a brownout) and perhaps transients that may affect certain electronics like laptops.

It is important to really also understand the limitations of the inverter part of the generator. The reason most generators fail when actually used in adverse conditions is their long periods of dormancy. They really need to be run regularly to ensure the electronics works reliably. That is what generally separates good from bad generator systems. The electronics fails...not easy to detect, especially, when purchasing used gear. Not knowing its history can produce poor outcomes.

My view on generators is similar to the difference between commercial and military detonators. Both initiate the blast. However, military detonators are way oversized and completely sealed against the elements...why? Because when they are needed, they better work.

Compute the total power consumption for the equipment you intend to connect to the generator. Include any startup surge values. Take that number and multiply by 1.25 to account for inverter degradation under hot, humid conditions. Look for that level of power in a generator..

a new air conditioner would not be as or more efficient, besides the fact that the .mil fits the opening?

One thing to to wary of, r22 refrigerant was banned as of Jan 2020. I’m not sure what the process is for swapping over to a new type of refrigerant if they need a recharge.

Not worried.

Had a problem a few years back with my system needing purged and refilled at home. Guy tries to literally sell me a new fucking unit in the process LOL (this is before my friend was into HVAC).

Then after me telling him hes full of shit, comes back with freon pricing of like 1k for it and 50$ or something to put it in.

I go online and find a place that sells it. Says I need a 'freon handling license' or some shit. Turns out its an actual thing. Ok fair enough.

Google how to get freon handling license. There's an 'exam' consisting of a 10$ or something fee and a few questions like 'swallowing freon is good or bad?'. Bam I can order freon.

He comes back, I hand him the freon and tell him let me know when hes done and Ill have his $50.

Hi,

Sincerely,
    Theis

Unless I'm missing it, neither of those have the vent hookup.

Looks like they are just free standing AC units that blow cold air out of them.

Alright, purely guessing and have more questions. I'm seeing a lot of the generators with this in the description:

After jump starting, the engine ran. The engine would not re-start after shutting down without jump starting.

WTF could that be from? Has me both worried and skipping over any units with this description but also has me thinking its some dumb $5 fix like it needs a damn spark plug or new battery/starter.

Anyways, if I need a 10kw, talk me into/out of these I'm linking. Basically looking that it starts/runs, has no leaks, no missing parts.

I'm also seeing generators with 10k+ hours on them and most of these are not even close to that so I'm guessing these things have a lot of life left, assuming someone didn't beat the shit out of it or light it on fire. Anyone see anything bad/good about any of these or have any other links/ideas?

Also need to figure out what ECU I'd need, and if 10kw is what I need or if I could use a 5kw generator.

Not starting without a jump is a weak or bad battery.
    Could be just that or the alternator doesn't recharge said battery causing it to drain down.
    Easy to figure out with a multimeter and 60 seconds of time.

Any generator you buy on gov.planet will have no, or bad batteries. Its is normal that they must be jump started. The might also need oil, filters and belts, which are all available at NAPA. TMs and such are on steelsoldiers

2 of the 6 ECUs I got were charged, part of demilling them is to recover the R22 so I thought this strange. There is plenty of R22 available, and AC company can charge them for about $250

An 802a 5kw will run a 2 or 3 ton ECU for AC, but not heat. Need 10kw for that.

Hey German, retired HVAC contractor here. So R-22 is still available but it is going for anywhere from $500 to $800 for a 30 # jug. There are "drop In" replacements that supposedly won't fuck up the seals and things but if you do get a machine that has been de-mil from a surplus place, I would definitely recommend that you have a pro do it as it will likely need to pumped down and evacuated with nitrogen and maybe could use what's known in the industry as a clean up kit, new filter/dryer etc. If these are just small portable units it's likely not worth your time nor money to F with them.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
    A lot of generators have been wet stacked because there was not enough load placed on them. More than one BN I had been in had problems with this. Eventually people learned to bring a crapload of coffee pots to pull enough load from the generator. Also, if using a Mil Gen (besides looking at or for signs of wet stacking), you will also want to find a PDC aka power distribution center (they are kind if handy when running multiple systems on one gen set.

V/R

as said before youll need to pay attention to the AC unit requirements

as you prob know there is a surge when motors turn on and that surge while using the same amount of voltage has the amps jump through the roof, the unit will lug and turn off to safe the converter

if you rent a 2 stage hvac unit (those are the larger ones) you will need to have enough surge capacity when the secondary stage turns

even thought the initial start up surge is gone and the unit is on "running amps" the next compressor kick on will surge again

i would specifically look for "party rental" units and their accompanying gensets

10 kw running at 75% is approx1 gallon a hour

if you get a 15-18 KW unit and run it at the same 7-8 KW you will be around .6-.7 gallon a hour

most 10kw + units have a 50-100 gallon integrated tank below

depending on the size and ambient temp each person is usually calculated at 3-500 BTU.. so 4-5 people equal 1 ton of AV heat generation...that why your 4 ton ac unit at home is find until you have 20 people over and it cant get below a certain temp even though its still a 22 degree differential from intake to return

also make sure you are puling air from the tent not ambient