• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone regret lasik?

I’ll chime in with yet another “best money I ever spent” reply. I’m slightly more light sensitive now (just means I wear shades in full sun), but my night vision improved substantially because now I can pick out all the different details that used to just be gray smears.

I think it’s one of those “to each their own” things, but I would lose my freaking mind if my eyes were set up differently, close/far. Granted, I’m young enough that reading glasses aren’t a thing yet, so maybe that’s the difference.

OP, are you looking into the procedure because you wanna never wear glasses again? Or would you be fine with reading glasses? I didn’t mind glasses most of the time, but my rock climbing and snowboarding shenanigans weren’t super glasses-compatible, and my eyes hated contacts. So, LASIK, and it’s amazing, but I won’t be too bothered if I gotta get reading specs in 15-20 years.

It's awesome. The only side effect i have is slightly more fuzz around lights at night. But with my contacts i would have other issues with light at night, so it is a wash. DO IT

I consider it a modern-day miracle(from retired eye od)

I"m 53.......had it 35. Still holding today. I got bad chronic dry eye for about 2 years and still have it to some degree. Well worth it regardless. I was a blind mofo without contacts and what a change in my life it was to see good all the time, any weather, any time of night etc.

I haven’t had lasik (yet), but I had horrible dry eyes for years. Several different docs couldn’t figure it out and it just went away.
I’ve heard lasik can cause this, but it can also just pop up.

Chiming in with another thumbs up... been 16+ years and still great. Of course I am old now and have to wear reading glasses but can't stop time...
I waited until they had better computer eye mapping and better machines. Go to a reputable place that has the up to date equipment - It is your eyes so don't bargain shop on this purchase.

I know this may be a broad based question but what are the general anticipated costs for both eyes? Not looking for exact figures, just roundabout.

Does that make a difference if you're left eye dominant?
Just helps with reading at close distance with your right eye.

Does not change eye dominance. I've worked very hard for many years making my right eye more dominant. I don't think I was left eye dominant but both eye dominant which slightly favored the left. Best way to explain it.

I know this may be a broad based question but what are the general anticipated costs for both eyes? Not looking for exact figures, just roundabout.
I think its going to depend on yours eyes and doc....but 3-6k.

Personally, I think it should be covered by medical insurance. Imagine knee surgery being elective, because crutches allow you to get around fine. Bad eyes are a medical condition.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
PRK. Medical insurance did not cover it. It will depend on your corneal thickness. No regerts:)

I have scalpels, a laser and a micrometer. I also have a Cone Beam CT so we can gauge how much I screwed you up for those primers.

4-8K; depending on where you live and other facts. BTW, I had a severe astigmatism and had been told by two opthalmologists that I wasn't a candidate, I found a great surgeon who said he could do it. As an aside, I DO regret not telling the technician with the numbing drops that she missed my right eye. It hurt... hmmm... a lot for about 30 seconds.

On people needed reading glasses later, I'm not sure of the statistics of LASIK or PRK worsening that; the majority (some sources say all people will, to some degree) develop presbyopia, thus requiring readers, around at 40. I heard there is a very, very small increased risk of corneal transplants down the road.

Last edited:
I'm contemplating getting lasik. I can't stand wearing glasses and starting about 2 years my eyes are always dry from the damn contacts.

Has anyone had it done and have issues?
I had it done when I was 35. Went from a minus 13 diopter to 20/20. Lasted a solid 15 years then the corneas hardened(old age) and had to start wearing readers, no biggie. This last summer I had cataract surgery (age 57) and had IOL with the latest multifocal lens put in. I highly recommend both procedures at the appropriate time. Lasik cost was 4000.00 (1995) IOL implants a cool 10,000.00, both worth every penny. After the cataract surgery I regained my night vision to boot( again old age condition).

Whenever I tell people how much I paid, they don't believe me. I paid $999 for both eyes in 2000. At the time, they said it was because the laser was on loan from Canada. LOL
I don't really care why, but it was the best money I've ever spent. And $1K was a ton of money for us back then

I also had PRK at the time when I was shooting a fair amount of .308. Although there is a slight longer healing time ..I want to say 7-10 days; the opthalmologist recommended it specifically because recoil of higher calibers can disrupt the flap of Lasik (in PRK the cornea is scraped and it heals over on its own in about a week). I had a rare complication of slow healing and had to keep my eyes closed for 3 days...but that was 15 years ago and today still have better than 20/20 long distance. Operators get PRK for the above reason I believe - their have been many threads on this through the years. No regrets, Worth every penny.
awesome

Wife got mono vision and couldn't handle it, had to get it switched back to regular paying an additional eye fee again.
I did regular full laser and no regrets. 12 years later at 51 need reading glasses
It was great for scuba also obviously.

I"m 53.......had it 35. Still holding today. I got bad chronic dry eye for about 2 years and still have it to some degree. Well worth it regardless. I was a blind mofo without contacts and what a change in my life it was to see good all the time, any weather, any time of night etc.
this is my big worry. i have dry eyes now, with contacts. compared to most, my vision is good as my contacts are at like -1.25 or something like that. i worry that my dry eyes will be even worse if i do the surgery. biggest reason why i havent.

Wife had it done 15 yrs ago. She is very satisfied. The only side effect was starburst on lights at night and that has diminished over the years.

Yup. I regret it.

Glasses worked well but I wanted to not deal with them. So, I went for refractive surgery.

It was fine for a few years. Now, extreme astigmatism, moderate dry eyes, significantly fluctuating vision throughout the day, eyes are red and sensitive all the time, soft contacts and glasses do not work. The only thing that keeps me being able to work is wearing scleral contacts which are expensive, a pain to get fitted and are umcomfortable (imagine inserting a hard plastic disk into your eyes about the size of your thumb nail in order to function).

Check out lasikcomplications.com.

You only have one pair of eyes. Many have favorable results from refractive surgery, at least in the short term, but many others open up a door to hell and some have gone so far as suicide.

If you decide to go ahead, I pray you end up in the favorable result category.

I had PRK 13 years ago. Prior to surgery, I wore glasses for astigmatism and also used reading glasses. The Doc told me I'd still need reading glasses.

After surgery, I didn't need any glasses until about a year ago, when I started needing reading glasses. My distant vision is still 20/20.

No regrets at all...

Both eyes done with lasik in 2003. right eye still 20/20, left eye just under 20/30. Which is nice because at 56 I really don’t need readers yet.
I went with TLC at that time. They were expensive but were the most experienced and had the best equipment then. Don’t know what it’s like today.

I will always recommend LASIK treatment as I had LASIK surgery a few years ago to get a permanent solution from wearing glasses and contacts. I was using glasses from a very young age and when I reached my teens I started using contacts, but it gradually developed irritations and I forced to use glasses again that was really frustrating. Then I came to know about LASIK treatments and my ophthalmologist encouraged me to do this. The treatment was amazing and I got the best results. Now, it's been years and I was very happy that I took LASIK treatment.

iam also having same experience in good vision.

tenor (3).gif

See if they have an option to add a reticle to your dominate eye. Think of all the money you’d save by not having to buy scopes anymore.

I had PRK 13 years ago. Prior to surgery, I wore glasses for astigmatism and also used reading glasses. The Doc told me I'd still need reading glasses.

After surgery, I didn't need any glasses until about a year ago, when I started needing reading glasses. My distant vision is still 20/20.

No regrets at all...
I'm in a very similar boat. Had my PRK done about 13yrs ago and just in the past year started to need help reading also. Last year doc mentioned I could do lasik again but with the world being crazy last year it seemed like something I could wait on and I needed to get my blood sugar under better control. Will follow up this year as it's definitely worth it.

I'd say no regrets except I should have done lasik to start instead of PRK. Did PRK because I was boxing and thee was the concern about dislodging a flap if hit after lasik. Buddy had lasik done and no issues ever and was good to go within 24hrs. I took a week to see after PRK and thought I had ruined my eye sight because I was healing slower. All good in the end but PRK is a much longer recovery than Lasik.