• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone run a hvy barrel Savage mod 12 .243 with

rc2125

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2007
Granger, Indiana
...heavier bullets, like 105's?

From what little info I have read, the 1in9.25 twist is borderline to slow for bullets over 100gr......or is that not correct?

Re: Anyone run a hvy barrel Savage mod 12 .243 with

I would say either 95 berger or 105 berg or 105 amax, probably at 3000fps. Since, I found the JBM twist rate calculator deal, but could not find the bullet dimensions and such on the berger site. Don't put to much effort in finding out, just figured I'd see if anyone had the rifle and seen one way or the other if they'd stabilize long range. Probably have to just wait til the custom shops get caught up, if ever and re-barrel to utilize 115 dtacs.

*got a callback from berger tech line, they said 90's are a go, 105's would be no go......need min 1 in 8" for those (unless it's "well" above 3kfps).

Re: Anyone run a hvy barrel Savage mod 12 .243 with

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RC2125</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would say either 95 berger or 105 berg or 105 amax, probably at 3000fps. Since, I found the JBM twist rate calculator deal, but could not find the bullet dimensions and such on the berger site. Don't put to much effort in finding out, just figured I'd see if anyone had the rifle and seen one way or the other if they'd stabilize long range. Probably have to just wait til the custom shops get caught up, if ever and re-barrel to utilize 115 dtacs.

*got a callback from berger tech line, they said 90's are a go, 105's would be no go......need min 1 in 8" for those (unless it's "well" above 3kfps). </div></div>

JLK's bullets are a similar length to Bergers and he lists the recommended min. twist for the bullets, he makes a 105 and 115 in 6mm. You can try checking that site too.