• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Anyone tried re17 in the 308 yet??

Re: Anyone tried re17 in the 308 yet??

Quickload is WAY off with RL-17... I've been using it since last summer in 308 with bullets from 155 gr. up to 208gr.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=69189&Number=762231

It doesn't do anything that Varget can't do better up to 190 gr. and that N550 can't do better for heavier bullets. And it isn't very temperature stable from my experience with it over the winter. In a nutshell, it didn't impress me in 308 Win. and I still have 10 lbs. of it left. I hope to use a bunch of that up with a 208/210 gr. bullet comparison I'm planning to do... It showed a bit of promise with those.

I just got done running some tests today, with the brand new lot that just shipped in March. date on can is March 13th 2009

I was able to safely achieve 2750 fps with a 190 berger vld in my 308 with great accuracy. That was with no signs of pressure whatsoever..I went as high as 48.5 grns which gave me an average of 2810 fps...but the accuracy was off...and the primers were starting to flatten.

I also ran some tests with 7mm-08 and 168 berger VLD, got 2775 fps and a screaming load which shot 10 shots into less than and inch @ 300yds. Bergers .010 off the lands to feed from AICS mag.

I havent played with varget alot, but the best load in 308 w/ 190 VLD I could achieve was 2640 fps w/ Re15 and that was near the edge of unsafe pressure....so I think its working well.

but I have yet to play with it in varied temps...it was 65 here today and sunny

but the velocity, was amazing for a 308 in my opinion.

**edited to add, 308 was 26 inch Schnieder 5P barrel w/ 1013 rds thru it at time of testing.**

My barrel specs are the same. The added case volume you can get with the VLD's would certainly help. What brass are you using?

I've only just started on the new batch. Those results were with the old one. Both it and Varget got me up to 2700 fps. with the 190 SMK. 48.5 gr. was crushing the powder badly. I did notice that the new batch is a bit faster, but I haven't pushed the limits with it yet. Maybe its also more temperature stable.

I'll probably need to finish off my supply with 190's to get rid of it anyway.

I am using lapua brass for 308, Win brass for 7mm-08.

the thing is...at 2750 ave FPS, the brass looked perfect, no shiny ejector marks, no flat primers, so for me, even if the performance is only marginally better, the fact it does it at a lower pressure means I wont have to have a few different loads for across the match season..

often my may-june load would change in july and august...then in cooler sept-oct weather i would change again...

with this load less work involved...and i can produce more ammo at once and use it all year..

edited to add my chamber is GAP tight Palma chamber..VERY SHORT throat..bergers seated .010 into the lands still feed from AICS mag

If its a GAP, we have the same chamber too.

Temperature stability is the reason I'm sticking with Varget. One load for all year around.

With either powder, I run them around 2630 fps., theres an OBT node there. 2750 fps. may also be one.

FWIW---I have found when compiling data from others and using re17 in my '06 that if I used I4350 in quickload as the powder loaded it comes out pretty much perfect with actual chrono'd loads. I made 3100fps out of a 22" tikka '06 with re17 and no pressure signs. Not sure I had any further to go but I have found this to be a better way to predict. I am aniously awaiting someone doing some pressure testing with more common calibers than what was done at 6mm br website.

I ran some tests with the new lot of RL-17 and the 190 SMK's today. Its definitely launching them faster than the old lot.

There is a node just above 2700 fps with the SMK. 47.8 gr. gave me around 2740 fps. at 57,000 psi. and should have been on the node. However, the powder is too compressed IMO. It grouped ok... but the lower node worked a lot better. Mashing the kernels changes the burn rate unevenly in each round.

With the new lot, the load for the lower node is:
190 SMK
45.0 gr. (Lapua or FC brass) or 45.5 gr. (Winchester or Hornady brass)
2.775" COAL
2590 fps Avg. (at 60F)

I would like to know where in the heck yall been gettin your re17 at. I've tried and tried but it's ALWAYS on back order. I have a new 7-08 that I am havein some issues with the diff powders i've tried. When I do gwt some... any ideas on where I can get some load data at?

Moof...done alot with the 7mm08 and 168 berger.

what bullet you workin with?