• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone use Federal Brass?

Fro308

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Anyone useing Federal Brass? How many reloads are u getting out of it? I have some that are on 4th reload that even after running threw FL RCBS die will chamber, but bolt wont lock down

Re: Anyone use Federal Brass?

I am on the 6th cycle with some and having no problems so far. I FL sized after the 1st and 5th cycle with neck-size the rest of the time.

Good to know FootSoldier,

I know that the consensus seems to be that Federal brass is soft, and not the best, but I have so much of it now that I'm about to start using it myself.

What caliber are you talking about? I reload federal .223 and I am on the 10th reload with no problems. I neck size only.

I've had too many once fired, Federals in both .223 & .308 that I've found loose primer pockets on, so, when I see it's Federal, it gets thrown in to a box, and when the box is full, it will be for sale.

I remember an old saying--screw me once, shame on you, but, screw me twice, shame on me. LOL

I have used some with no issues , agree that if your having bolt closure issues bump the shoulder back

I have used Federal brass for many years and never had a problem until now. I bought 500 once fired FGMM brass in .308 for my new 700p. I have had 2 rounds so for that split in the shoulder after only 1 reload. I won't be buying anymore.

I use it, I've got anywhere between 5 and 15 reloads on various calibers. Most of the stuff with high reload counts on it doesn't get loaded very hot since it's for things like an old Enfield and MN 91/30. No reason to whoop the brass and end up wearing a 100 year old antique for it.

I generally neck size only and generaly only about 3/4's of the neck at that. I anneal after 5-6 reloads.

It worked just fine for me in 30-06, I've pushed it generally around max, but I also don't try chasing 300 Win Mag results with a 308 either.

I was there with Fro this weekend shooting. I cant figure out what is up with his shit either. It will chamber like he said, but you cant close the bolt, you can get about a 1/8th of a turn on the bolt and it just stops cant go any futher. I looked at a couple of the rounds and the necks on them were fucked up. It looked as if the neck was bulged on one side when the bullet was shoved in it. It looked as if the brass in the neck sprung back more than it should have when it was sized, and was almost too small in diameter before the bullet was loaded.

We even tried chambering them in my rifle as well just to see if it would go but it wouldnt. My loads that I built shot fine in his rifle but they were FL resized, so I know that its not the rifles. But something is not right with that brass thats for sure. It wasnt every piece, but it was only a couple out of the batch, something is weird.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was there with Fro this weekend shooting. I cant figure out what is up with his shit either. It will chamber like he said, but you cant close the bolt, you can get about a 1/8th of a turn on the bolt and it just stops cant go any futher. I looked at a couple of the rounds and the necks on them were fucked up. It looked as if the neck was bulged on one side when the bullet was shoved in it. It looked as if the brass in the neck sprung back more than it should have when it was sized, and was almost too small in diameter before the bullet was loaded.

We even tried chambering them in my rifle as well just to see if it would go but it wouldnt. My loads that I built shot fine in his rifle but they were FL resized, so I know that its not the rifles. But something is not right with that brass thats for sure. It wasnt every piece, but it was only a couple out of the batch, something is weird.

</div></div>

You mentioned that the necks looked bulged, I've seen this happen when brass wasn't properly prepped or when I was in a rush trying to load up some "blammo" for plinking and not carefully seating the bullets. They went in a little crooked and wouldn't routinely close to battery in my AR.

If this might be what happened, I would suggest taking a set of calipers and measuring around the necks by "spinning" the neck through the caliper like a dial indicator would be used. If you see that needle floating around you probably have your answer.

A tight chambered rifle might only take 2 thou of this nonsense before it sticks up. An FN FAL with a loose chamber will probably tolerate 10 thou before it sticks up. Check to see what's going on around the neck.

Is the bulge at the base of the neck, near the shoulder junction?

If so, might be a "donut" forming from the brass moving up the case. You full-length resize the case and then when you seat the bullet, the bullet pushes out the thickened brass around the base of the neck, creating in a sense, a false shoulder.

Full-length resize a case but don't seat the bullet down so far (but deep enough to clear the throat) and see if it will chamber. If it will, chances are the bullet is pushing out the "donut" when you push the bullet past the base of the neck.

Not to state the obvious but did you trim the brass to the proper length? The biggest problem I've experienced with Federal brass is wearing out the primer pocket.

I took the rounds that wouldnt load this weekend and broke them down...everything was n spec per my Leman manual...I ran them threw my RCBA FL dye again and they still wouldnt close the bolt on my 700.....

I went threw all my Federal brass and preped it and then chambered each empty case...out of 150 cases I had 20 that wouldnt lit me lock the bolt down....rest went in slick as factory ammo

I did find some sighns over over pressure so I dont know if that effected it or not

It's possible that your 700 has a tight chamber, and your RCBS die isn't pushing the shoulder back far enough.

After your resizing die is touching the shellplate, do you screw it down anothe 1/4 turn?

I sent one die back to RCBS, with some fired cases because the die wouldn't push the shoulder back far enough and they machined a little off the die, where it touchs the shellplate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RH4540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's possible that your 700 has a tight chamber, and your RCBS die isn't pushing the shoulder back far enough.

After your resizing die is touching the shellplate, do you screw it down anothe 1/4 turn?

I sent one die back to RCBS, with some fired cases because the die wouldn't push the shoulder back far enough and they machined a little off the die, where it touchs the shellplate. </div></div>

YEs sir it touches and i scrwed it a half a turn....I got some other brass then federal Im gona run threw it and see how it comes out