• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

APA Gen II Fat Bastard & Little Bastard

I just tried out my new Gen 2 Fat Bastard on my 300 WM(with fairly warm but safe loads, 208's at 3000 fps). Turned it into a pussy cat. Pretty slick design, couldnt be easier to install and adjust. If I didnt already have some pretty nice brakes on my other guns, I would definitely put these on all of them right now. I cant imagine buying any other.

Would a little bastard work in a Tikka T3 lite? It's got a thin barrel towards the end. I was thinking a micro bastard would fit better. But with the gen 2 design it may not matter since it won't need to be tapered to the barrel.

Jered,
Are you going to do any 3/4x24 on the LB brake for us DTA guys? I hope so I want one.

it certainly is. You really don't need the FB on a 308 unless it's just a visual thing that you want. The Micro Bastard will destroy a 7 pound 7 mag's recoil so pretty much anything we make will eat a 308's lunch.

Other than the locking nut for indexing, Fat Bastard design looks just like these made here in New Zealand: T3 Brake

Have one on my TRG 42 in 338 lapua. Best muzzle break I've used so far. Target stays in view through scope and often watch impact through scope at longer ranges.

Who copied who, or spontaneous independant ingenuity???

Other than the locking nut for indexing, Fat Bastard design looks just like these made here in New Zealand: T3 Brake

Have one on my TRG 42 in 338 lapua. Best muzzle break I've used so far. Target stays in view through scope and often watch impact through scope at longer ranges.

From the time stamping of when the above video from your link was posted, Nov, 16 2013, to when Jered posted the below video, Aug, 22 2011, I'd say T3 did the coping. Granted the below video is the original design and not the newest locking nut design, but the ports are the same.

The Fat Bastard Muzzle Brake vs 338 Lapua - YouTube

Last edited:
Jered,
I asked Jodie when you get two GenII LB 5/8x24 in to let me know. I am going to have the threads turned down.

One of the first articles to show one of our brakes publicly was on the cover of "Special Weapons for Military & Police" issue #40 in 2006. The lower left hand corner shows a black and silver 338 Lapua with a Fab Bastard on it. We were making the brakes roughly 2 years prior to that. Unless they have something that predates 2004 I'd say the odds are that they copied our design. It's probably one of the reasons we aren't shown for comparison sake in their video. That was my take on things at least.

Got mine this weekend and have shot right at 100 rounds thus far. Installation was easy and I still have the reliability original recoil reduction.

We are making them right now. I know we have complete sets but until they have a enough to fire up the park tanks they won't new finished. If there aren't some in finishing today they certainly will be by Monday.

You might need the Micro. It really depends on the diameter at the muzzle. The Gen I Micro in 9/16x32 can be installed easily on a muzzle diameter of .615
Yes but I'm trying to stay away from having to have the gen 1 fitted to my barrel due to the lack of good smiths in my area. The Gen 2 would screw right on without mod. Unless I could give you the barrel diameter and yall could taper it and just use a crush washer.

Crush washers are junk. You can quote me on that. Sure they have a place but that place isn't on a precision platform.

The Gen II Micro is only available in 1/2x28. You can thread a 30 cal 1/2x28 but it better be someone thats really on top of their game.
When you get that close to the bore there is always an opportunity to open the bore dimensions. If cut correctly with a sharp tool,
proper feeds/speeds and flood coolant everything will work just fine.

And that goes full circle back to the lack of good smiths near me! Thanks for getting back to all my questions. I'll call the shop soon and get something figured out on a gen 1 micro

We are running the Little Bastards now. If you call Jodie in the office she can get you on the waiting list for any of them. 706-367-8881 You can also email her at [email protected]
You just need to specify which brake you need and that it's a Gen II. We also need to know if it's caliber specific or you want your smith to open it prior to shipping. She doesn't need that information currently.

Just emailed Jodie to get put on the waiting list for the second batch. I told her he gen II little bastard for my savage 10fcp-sr in .308

Can some one post the measurments of these Gen 2 brakes please. Looking for the diameter of the nut that indexes the brake to the barrel.

FYI to those with dissimilar threads wanting a GenII brake:
Have installed a radial Vais Micro brake on my 6.5 SAUM, but didn't like the ground blast. So, was trying to see about getting one of these Gen II Little Bastards, but they are not available in the 1/2x32 thread pitch to directly replace the Vais.
Did some searching and found this thread adapter:
PRECISION-ARMAMENT-M4-SHOULDERLESS-MUZZLE-THREAD-ADAPTER-1.jpg

Screwing this adapter onto the 1/2x32 barrel threads, yields a 5/8x24 thread, to which the Gen II Little Bastard can mate with.

In full disclosure, I PM'ed Jered about trying this adapter, and he did NOT recommend it. But, I tried it anyway and it worked out.

Used a bit of Blue Loctite on both the inner & outer threads, then indexed the Gen II Little Bastard onto the 'skinny' .750" fluted Bartlein of my 6.5 SAUM...
FACC538F-250E-4784-8ACC-7EC20B0ACC9B_zpsylbdc2ul.jpg

POI was slightly (0.1mrad) higher, but accuracy was not affected, at all. Was making good hits on steel to 700yds, and the felt recoil was MUCH less, as compared to the radial Vais Micro brake.
This rifle weighs 10 lbs, loaded, and I can spot my hits easily with the Gen II Little Bastard screwed on...
1D568E29-FCE8-4D04-A8BC-5C1138A232B8_zpsbfn8gzgs.jpg

Again, Jered advised against using that adapter, and I fully understand that position. But, it saved me an inch of barrel, and trip to the 'smith...

Good shootin'!

My only real concern on that is compounding concentricity issues. The more variables you add the greater opportunity there is for something to go wrong but mechanically it will certainly work.
Unfortunately I have to state it that way to keep my butt out of hot water in case something did go wrong. In a world of hungry attorneys unfortunately I have to be that way. Heck we all do…...

Fully understand the situation, and I appreciate your knowledge & guidance!
NO worries, here...

Gen II little bastard brake received and installed! Ready for some weekend shooting.

myhysu8e.jpg

u8ysuhu4.jpg

I received a couple this week. They are very nice. I installed one in 6.5 creedmore and one in 338lm. Unfortunately the 338lm barrel is the wrong thread.

We take safety seriously at APA but I think my brother may be a little overboard! He said he'll have them finished for you guys as soon as he finishes suiting up for the space shuttle.

Sweet! Got mine , super fast service!
Just need to add a hat or sticker w/ that logo for when we use them at matches and people ask, where did you get that?

Just got my Fat Bastard for my 338 lapua. This is the break on my factory AW .308 barrel. My 338 barrel is out getting rethreaded 5/8x24. I like it.

1f1ffef3b4a46aa449369d8541c8e55b.jpg

What are the specs of the new Fat bastard? I am having a 338 Lapua rebarreled with the 28" Bartlein, heavy palma barrel and was wondering if the Gen ll Fat bastard would be close to the barrel contour or would the Gen ll little bastard be a better fit? Or, would I better off going with the gen 1 design of either?

Last edited:
It will look pretty much like what you see in the photo. It's pretty much a personal preference. I like the Gen I. That will always my 1st choice ………however I have a Gen II on my 338 b/c the barrel is too long to fit in the case.
All I need is a wrench to pop it off and it fits in the case. Problem solved.

I bought two, looks great Jered. Can't wait to get out and shoot.

I put another post up that we were switching all of these over to Stainless. At first we were concerned that it would gal but after further testing we were wrong. The APA team guys were the first guinea pigs but after that Jeff tried to screw one up so bad that he wore the corners off of the nut and snapped the gear in his crescent wrench. I guess we are good to go.

The SS ones would have to be coated. We still have a few of the standard ones and will sell those until they are gone but a lot of people were inquiring about the stainless so it seemed like a win win for everyone.

I'm looking at getting a APA Fat Bastard for my Tikka T3 308. Does anyone else have this setup? Does anyone know of anything I should be researching prior to purchase?

Jered
I have a Gen 2 lil bastard I was going to put on a 28 Nosler. Will the lil bastard suffice for the 28 Nos (195 Bergers)