• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Apparent Weakness Of Aimpoint PRO ???

HugoStiglitz

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2010
PHX AZ
Recently purchased my 3rd Aimpoint and mounted it on a Colt 6920 that has mostly been a Safe Queen with less than 50 rds through it during a single outing to zero. Was putting it back in the safe last night, when it grazed the open door, heard something drop on the floor, and saw the Selector Knob lying there. The Knob has about 3/8" of the shaft still attached, and appears to have fractured where it necks down into a squared off portion.

Certainly do not feel that this was a case of abuse or mistreatment. Just feel that on optic of this nature should be expected to handle a lot more of an impact than this minor bumping. Also have a Comp ML2 and another PRO, and am now concerned that they may not be considered reliable for their intended use. This makes one think twice about continuing to trust Aimpoints in Social Situations.

Does anyone have any Aimpoint experiences to share?

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqDP8ve-aBw

I like to use this video as an example of aimpoint durability. I was more impressed by the abuse it took that the rifle it self. while we are talking about the pro and not the micro series, as long as it was still functioning, just because the rheostat sheered off (from what I under stand) I wouldn't say thats a strike against the unit itself, as long as it's still working. the pro isn't as robust as some of it's counter parts, but it's much more economical

Last edited:
I have owned many Aimpoint products and have seen them take untold amounts of abuse. Get it fixed and drive on.

No problem what-so-ever getting it repaired under warranty, it's in the mail. Just somewhat concerned, as the 1st reply here stated the PRO may not be as robust as the rest of their fine product line. The knob broke off in the "OFF" position, rendering the unit useless. I have no reason to exaggerate the minor degree of impact it took to shear the shaft. The knob was driven straight back when the edge of the safe door just caught the bottom of the knob in the gap.

I bet it was a perfect hit at the perfect joint, I've never seen one fail like that, most I've seen fail have been battery life issues (where it will take months to run out of battery rather than years)

I bet it was a perfect hit at the perfect joint, I've never seen one fail like that, most I've seen fail have been battery life issues (where it will take months to run out of battery rather than years)

I'd have to agree. We've been running Aimpoints on our SR16s for several years. Although ours don't see the use/abuse like like our troops overseas, ours get banged around almost daily and have held up fine. Glad to see they're getting it repaired for you.

My experience with Aimpoint is limited but good. I had a Micro H-1 mounted to my Mossberg 590 A1 and it withstood about 2500 12 gauge shells of various kinds.
I recently sold that sight and it was still in a "like new" condition.

But as it is with anything, Murphy can show his ugly face and you end up with busting stuff...

After thinking about the situation, last night I decided to rotate my other PRO and Comp M2 90 degrees, putting the battery and switch on the left side. The turrets are actually marked properly for either position I just noticed. I felt that as a right hand shooter, I was less likely to damage the battery box again while moving with the weapon.

Thats an amazing breakage. Aimpoints and ACOG's are usually neigh indestructible. I have never in my career seen a broken Aimpoint for any reason, but I guess it happens. Would have it fixed and move on.