• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Applying Cerakote

TXSTDU

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2009
Texas
I am practicing right now on some scraps of metal before trying it out on my firearms.

My questions is about the "Wet Look" I have made several light passes to prevent runs. As I apply a second and sometimes a third light pass it seems as the previous coat has already dried (I know it hasn't). Is this a major issue or not? Should I apply one heavy pass instead of several light passers?

I am just concerned as my scraps don't look like the pistol slide in the instructions manual before I put it in the oven.

Re: Applying Cerakote

"One pass" is one downward stroke and upward stroke. If your HVLP spray gun is set up right and you have the pressure and pattern properly adjusted, and are four to six inches from the part, you should get a wet look to the part. If you mixed for a matte sheen then that "wet look" will dissipate rather quickly.

So, its not multiple passes or one heavy pass, just one good up and down pass with the right spray gun setup and adjustment and holding the part at the right distance from the spray gun.

The manual you got with your Cerakote (which I helped write and edit) provides the info on HVPL gun setup, so I wont repeat it here.

Good luck.

-Ernie

Hi Ernie,
I just wanted to say, thanks for all the work you've put in answering questions here. Anything I've needed to know that wasn't in the manual has been found using the search engine and looking for your replies.
Your work has been inspiring me for quite a few years now, and I've just recently got my setup going. I just completed my 5th rifle last weekend and it came out flawless.
I'm amazed that you take the time between work to help the rest of us.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge

Komishe Kan

Ernie,

Im so glad I clicked this link. I am working on building a gun and will want it coated at some point. I grew up in American Fork and now live in Salt Lake. It is good to know there is a shop locally that can perform this service. I am still a long ways from having it done, but will definitely keep you in mind.

Craig

The HVLP gun I have has a .6 tip vs a .8 that Cerakote recommends. How big of an issue it this or can I just add a little more paint to the ratio.

Ernie, with one pass down and back up with a wet look about how thick will the Cerakote be? Mil thickness i guess.
Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXSTDU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The HVLP gun I have has a .6 tip vs a .8 that Cerakote recommends. How big of an issue it this or can I just add a little more paint to the ratio. </div></div>

You can adjust the overall product flow without changing the tip size. Practice makes perfect here. Just change the paint flow adjustment screw and practice.

I shoot a lot of different automotive finished that are much more of a pain in the ass compared to cerakote. You just have to play with it to get it dialed in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXSTDU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The HVLP gun I have has a .6 tip vs a .8 that Cerakote recommends. How big of an issue it this or can I just add a little more paint to the ratio.</div></div>

MY HVLP intially had a 1.0 tip and it applied a little heavy.
I got the recommended .8 tip and it made a HUGE difference in application.
I would think a .6 might be a little small but only trying it will tell.

I've only used the air cure Cerakote with a LPH-80 with 0.8 fluid nozzle, but i adjusted the fluid control screw in to reduce the paint flow so you should be ok with the 0.6 nozzle. I don't know if the oven cure Cerakote is thicker or not, if it is then you might need to get a 0.8. Just have to practice and see how you go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXSTDU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The HVLP gun I have has a .6 tip vs a .8 that Cerakote recommends. How big of an issue it this or can I just add a little more paint to the ratio. </div></div>

I use the .6 tip in two of my Iwata LPS-80's and prefer it over the .8 because it allows me a bit more control for fine detail and tight areas. I have .8's in another LPH-50

The.8 tip works a bit better with the H-Series metalic colors, like Tungsten, etc which tend to be a bit thicker.

H-Series is thicker in consitency than C-Series and the .6 nozzle is a better choice if your running the C-Series most of the time.

You will also need to vary your air pressure based on the finish you are using ie, C-Series, H-Series, Metalic colors etc.

I prefer a micro adjustable external pressure regulator with a gauge and then i run the guns pressure valve wide open and use the regulator to adjust.

The key is the right combo of pressure, flow adjustment, pattern adjustment and then your technique.

-Ernie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308FMJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ernie, with one pass down and back up with a wet look about how thick will the Cerakote be? Mil thickness i guess.
Jim </div></div>

Done correcly, the nominal thickness should be .1 mil (.001)

Some of the specialty colors such as the pinks, white, bright purple, etc require .2 mil or sometimes a bit more to properly cover with no show-through.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308FMJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ernie, with one pass down and back up with a wet look about how thick will the Cerakote be? Mil thickness i guess.
Jim </div></div>

Done correcly, the nominal thickness should be .1 mil (.001)

Some of the specialty colors such as the pinks, white, bright purple, etc require .2 mil or sometimes a bit more to properly cover with no show-through. </div></div>

I was anxious to see the answer to this question but now I'm confused. 1 mil = .001" and .1 mil = .0001". One tenth of a mill or one tenth of a thousandth of an inch is really thin for a coating. Is this stuff that thin?