• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 and AR 308 uppers and lowers

pawprint2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2012
How many Actual Manufacturers are there? There is a large number of "we makes", but the uppers and lowers are mfg'd and marked by someone else. Those that CNC from solid stock such as Sun Devil aren't what I'm looking for, but rather the large "we make and will stamp (laser cut etc.) your name on the upper/lowers" types is what I'm after. The price disparity between so called manufacturers when comparing upper/lowers is interesting, especially if the price difference is strictly based on what is etched on the side! Maybe, some of the "manufacturers" are putting together some good rifles, and as such, they feel if their name is etched on the side of a stripped upper/lower (even though the don't make it, and it is identical save the name to many others) it is worth more. Strange times we live in.

^^ Those are a couple of the "biggies" in terms of producing AR uppers/lowers (both AR-15 and large-frame ARs)! ^^

Aero Precision makes forgings for some of the BIG AR outfits, including but not limited to Armalite (both AR-15/M-15 and AR-10). There is also: CMT, LMT, LAR, MMS, JVP and others.

The simple fact is that most lowers, at least forgings, are made by a select few (~4-5) companies and the only real differences are in the roll marks for each company to whom they do the work for. Billet lowers/uppers are an entirely different ballgame as MANY different outfits do complete billet uppers/lowers.

I'll see if I can't track down the "list" of who is machining for who these days (and some people don't disclose who is actually manufacturing their lowers/uppers for them, so its not a complete/comprehensive list).