• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 barrel extension pin

supercorndogs

Ham Fisted Gorilla
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Colorado
I just got a barrel in and the pin that keeps the barrel from spinning in the receiver is so tall it sticks up above the threads on the receiver. Can i just file it down? I assume that is a step they missed in building the barrel. Can I pull it out with vice grips or something and file down so as not to effect the hole it lives in? Or should I just run a few passes with a file as it sits? I contacted the builder but I bet I don't hear from him until Monday.

Depending on how high the barrel nut may screw on over it without touching, if so that would be best. You can file it while in the extension the pins usually get deformed when driven into the hole when they hit the threads so they are a pain to get out.

Have you tried a few light taps to see if the pin will drive in where it belongs? Sometimes they are nice and tight and other times not so much. Pretty much a universal size so not likely a missed step by the barrel smith.

I already pulled it out and ground it down so it would fit. It did interfere with the barrel nut. Now the upper is put together. It sat tall enough i noticed it as soon as I unpacked it LOL. Thanks for taking the time to give advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0701.JPG
    398.1 KB · Views: 38
Looks like it might have been put in upside down, no need for taper on the upper end, but might sit lower into a drilled hole.

The Taper did not effect the depth, but it was put in upside down from how I put it back. The taper was much less on the other end that i ground down a little.