• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ar 15 for coyotes

sniper81

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
just what the subject says, im looking for an ar for coyote hunting dont think i need a heavy barrel but would like a flat top with no sights, i have seen the remington model and the armalite, but does anyone else make one,and if so where on the net can i find a pic of it

Re: ar 15 for coyotes

I'll second the RRA option. They have both the Coyote Rifles/Carbines, as well as their Predator Pursuit rifles. I personally like the Predator Pursuit rifles better as I find their accuracy to be a little better, they have a faster twist (1:8) barrel for use with heavier bullets, and weigh right at 8lbs with an empty mag. They also usually run about $75-100 less than the Coyote rifles and can be had for <$950. They are accurate, reliable rifles that should fill the yote killing bill VERY well.

Take a look at RB Precision for a complete rifle as their prices are usually VERY competitive and Rob/Krista (owners) are great people:

http://www.rbprecision.com/rock_river_arms_ar15_rifles.htm

The other place to check on availability and pricing is Legal Transfers (you'll have to call or e-mail for info):

http://www.ar15sales.com/rracomp.htm

Good luck!!

There are many great AR options. IF you get a shooter, I do not think you can find a better coyote rifle. I have had many that did not shoot well enough for any but short range coyote shooting. If buying used, which I would suggest, I would hope to scope and test prior to buying.
5 shots in 1.5" at 100 yards or better yet, 5 shots in 4.5" at 300 yards. That would be the largest group I would accept. I have seen many that would not do it, and many that would far exceed it.
As most coyote killing is at well under 400 yards, I would not get a fast twist, heavy bullet barrel. I would consider a 8 or 9 twist and shoot 55 or 60 grain bullets. Over 400 yards they will shoot flatter and kill well. If you intend to shoot LR you will need a 7 or 8 twist and heavy bullets, but you will loose some trajectory in the process. And very few will actually kill beyond 400 for coyotes I think.

Rock River is a good choice, I have a 16" 1:9 chrome lined mid-length that's a real shooter with 55gr ammo. Depending on your budget LaRue is always a great option. LW50 stainless 1:8 Lothar Walther barrel, mine is scary accurate with 77gr SMK

I had this upper built using a Saber Defense 18" fluted barrel, Young NM BCG and Larue receiver specifically for yotes. Balances well and shoots Winchester white box excellent.

SaberDefense1.jpg

I didn't even think about budget when I posted the details on the RRA models above other than they are sub-$1k rifles.

Why don't you post what your budget, sans optics/mounts/rings, would be? That will give us all a better idea of what's in your price range and what might or might not be the best choices in that range.

Regarding Scottmilk9's (Specialized Dynamics) AR's-I keep saying this, only because it made a big impression on me:
I watched George Gardner (GA Precision) <span style="font-style: italic">choose</span> one of Scott's uppers as what he wanted off a prize table at a match-'nuff said.