• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 15 Loads 55g SP's

Grand

Chief - Slappahoe Tribe
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2005
Kern County, CA
I need to work up some loads for my AR15 M-4, 1-9T. I have a pile of 55g SP bullets on hand for plinking loads, R-P commercial brass and almost any primer and powder you can think of.

I've loaded plenty of .223's for a bolt gun, but never for an AR, and nver such a short barrel. Does anyone have a good reliable load that works for most AR's. And, should I start with the cleaner burning powders to avoid fowling the gas system?

Thanks

Re: AR 15 Loads 55g SP's

I've got a keg of the original BL-C should fill the bill.

What is the accepted OAL in an AR mag?

Max cartridge OAL is 2.598"
What your magazine can take depends on it. A 700 with a long follower can take more than an M-16 magazine.

Take a caliper and measure the max inside dimension of the magazine you plan to use.

Thanks. I loaded a ladder from 24.6 -26.2, .250" AOL. We'll see what happens.

Mr. Humble: Are you loading on a Dillon or other progressive loader?

What barrel length? 16-20 inch barrels can use most anything like Varget, IMR4198, XTerminator, H335 etc.

SBRs need a faster burning powder to avoid massive muzzle flash

I pretty much only use AA2230 out of my 16in AR's. I've been shooting alot of Hornadys 55grn fmj bullets with 24.5 grns of 2230. 1-2 inch groups at 100yds.

Make sure you use a Full Lenght Resizing die for AR15, unlike your bolt gun, the cases are not finshed expanding when they are ejected, On a bolt gun you can get away with a Neck sizer.

I think 24-25grs of H335 with any GOOD 55gr bullets would shoot good for you.

Keith

Im currently having great luck with benchmark.

55 grain hornady sp's
25 grains of Benchmark
wolf small rifle mag primer
Averages around 3050fps

Just under 2moa on my LMT.
Not to bad for a rack grade blaster barrel and eo-tech.

I use WC-844 usually, which is the same as H-335. 25 grains is enough, but I have worked loads to at least 27 for "personal" duty if necessary.

My go-to AR load is 25 grains, though.

Guys, should I stay with moderate pressure loads, or does it make a difference in a semi-auto?

I dont like any of my loads to show any pressure signs in my AR's. For one.... if you have ever popped a primer and its fallen under your trigger its a major PIA to get it out.

Just like all the other reloading advice... load them up and test the accuracy... and pressure.. if your happy.... then chrony them.

Range Report: Mr Humble Loads. R-P Brass, BL-C powder, WSR Primer. Loads shot better than any factory fodder to date. Overall very pleased. Need to run the chrony on 25.5g and 26.0g to see if there is a material advantage.

100_2509.jpg