• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AR Freefloat Forened (MI) Install Question

Fritz24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2008
Orange County, New York
Anyone know exactly how "minor" the minor-gunsmithing is that is required for a Midwest Industries Free-float "tactical" forearm for an AR-15 type rifle? Or more specifically, just what it entails?

Thanks in advance!

Re: AR Freefloat Forened (MI) Install Question

Does your gun have a front sight on it? If not with the right tools, it takes 15 minutes max.

tools: big hammer, punches, barrel wrench, box end wrench to take off muzzle break, upper receiver block.

By the time you buy the tools and try to do it yourself, your wasting more money and time, so take it somewhere who does quality work and pay the $50-65.

Looks similar to a YHM hand guard. Barrel nut, tube and jam nut.

You might look at ar15.com. They have instructions there on that matter.

Yes it still has the front sight on - it also has a pinned muzzle-brake(it's a Bushmasters - post-ban). Sounds like this might be trouble??

I will take a look over at AR15 though as well.

Thanks!

If you'd chosen to go with a Troy FF, you could cut off the delta ring and install onto the standard barrel nut. The MI front end will require removing the flash hider to remove the front sight, which needs to be removed to install the MI barrel nut. Sell the MI and get a Troy. The extra coin will be worth the hassle over the MI install. I prefer my Troy over my MI stuff($.02)