• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR or AK for durability

snipe10

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Colorado
I want one semi auto to hang onto for good and am wondering if you'd choose an AR or an AK. I've had several of both but am pretty much into bolt 308's these days. Living in Colorado I need to grab one before I can't. AK's are not as accurate but will generally shoot in any condition while AR's can be a bit more finicky but are more accurate. What do you think, if you could only have one, which would it be and why?
Thanks,

I'd go with an AR10. More expensive to shoot but well worth it. You can always get a 15/22 for plinking. 223 ammo is so high now it's not a plinking round and 7.62x39 isn't far behind it.

awjeeznotthisshitagain.jpg

If you must ask and create your own thread, when this has been hashed out many times already, get the AR-10.

Quality AR10 hands down. SIG 716 or M&P 10 are good options, I have a POF P308 16.5" myself and love it. Price of surplus 7.62x51 ammo is running the same or cheaper than 5.56 at my local gun shows. I picked up some Portuguese battle packs 200rds for $139.99 and South African Battlepacks 140rds for $99.99 while I saw 1000rd cases of 5.56 going for $1000.00.

Last edited:
Piston AR from LWRC or POF will be more (yes, thats right, more) reliable than any century arms, wasr 10, etc AK. Accuracy will be... well documented already.

AR platform if made from quality maker like BCM, COLT, DD or others will run just as well as any AK. Both are mechanical devices and can break at any time. Either platform will serve you for years if you buy quality up front.

Everyone is obligated to own an AK for general purpose. Nothing better for a beater truck gun to nuke hogs and dogs. Keep a 10 rounder in it and a 30 on the floor.

Both!! Buy an AK and then buy a Stripped AR lower receiver then you can just build the AR when you then the money!!

Sig piston gun in. 223 or. 308.
I have an Arsenal SAM 7 ak and a pair of Sig 556 rifles which is a basically a. 223 ak. I could make do with any of them but accuracy goes to the Sig in. 223 thanks to better bullets and components.

I would go with a 308 variant. It keeps you in the same caliber as your bolt guns so if you reload you can just make a load for your new gas gun. I'm a big fan of sticking with the same caliber based off the KISS method. I would go with the Scar. They have a rough trigger but people still get sub moa accuracy out of them.

Dave

I want one semi auto to hang onto for good and am wondering if you'd choose an AR or an AK. I've had several of both but am pretty much into bolt 308's these days. Living in Colorado I need to grab one before I can't. AK's are not as accurate but will generally shoot in any condition while AR's can be a bit more finicky but are more accurate. What do you think, if you could only have one, which would it be and why?
Thanks,
What is the real intent of the rifle, safe queen, play toy, or work horse?

Alright, thanks for the posts, sorry to Killshot for rehashing an old subject, next time I'll do a search first. Anyhow today I picked up a new JP LRP07 308 and I couldn't be happier! Can't wait to get it out this weekend, it sure looks sweet and does feel like an AR weight wise. I found a place with a few of them and some JP AR's in stock. I guess JP was not shipping to dealers for the past few months because they had so many consumer orders but now things have calmed down a bit. Anyhow, thanks again for the advice.

Alright, thanks for the posts, sorry to Killshot for rehashing an old subject, next time I'll do a search first. Anyhow today I picked up a new JP LRP07 308 and I couldn't be happier! Can't wait to get it out this weekend, it sure looks sweet and does feel like an AR weight wise. I found a place with a few of them and some JP AR's in stock. I guess JP was not shipping to dealers for the past few months because they had so many consumer orders but now things have calmed down a bit. Anyhow, thanks again for the advice.

Holy shit. You were asking about AK's and ended up with a JP ?! Nice work, they're awesome.

Yea I know I need one of those too, I need a lot of shit! There's an Arsenal milled 101 for $1299 at the lgs but that seems a bit high, I'm told they're one of the best. Right now I need some accessories for the JP.

Hey Flysolo, we're thinking of heading up to Wyoming and getting out of the new Commie Colorado. Thinking of Cheyenne or Laramie.

Wyoming is awesome! Laramie and Jackson are both full of commies but the rest of the state is good to go! I lived in the Casper area for ten years but unfortunate circumstances (divorce) forced me to relocate to Minnesota, just haven't had the heart to change my location in my profile. Been here for two years, miss wyo more every day. It's a damn shame what you guys are goin through down there, there's some nice people and some great country in Colorado.

AR's are not more finicky by any means. A GOOD AR is every bit as reliable as a GOOD AK and vise versa. If somebody tells you one is more reliable or more finicky than the other, they don't know what they're talking about. If you buy a crappy AK or AR there's a good chance you will have problems. I've experienced a lot of issues with low quality AK's such as WASR10's while arsenals and Yugo's have never given me any trouble. I've also had problems with low quality AR's, DPMS, Bushy, Oly, and model 1 to name a few. That's not to say that good AR's and good AK's haven't had problems though, everybody puts out a lemon from time to time.

I also wouldn't say an AK is less accurate than an AR. My Yugo M70B1 shoots under 2" at 100 yards with wolf ammo and at 600 yards I can beat a 12" steel target like I caught it stealing. At the same time I've seen some AR's that had a hard time holding 3" at 100 yards with better ammo and an optic. Sure you won't get bench rest accuracy out of an AK like you can some AR's but I still wouldn't consider an average AR to be more accurate than an average AK. After all 2MOA at 600 yards with irons is pretty damn good in my book. The 556/223 round is a lot more flat shooting though.

This is my take on it.

AK

Pro's:

Bigger round that's more suitable for hunting than 556
Cheaper ammo
Somewhat cheaper rifle
Somewhat cheaper mags

Cons:

Weight. Heavier rifle, heavier ammo, heavier mags
Recoil. Not bad but much more than an AR
Rainbow like trajectory after about 250 yards
No real great way to mount an optic with a solid mount... Chin weld if you do
Limited chamberings
No swapping uppers to another caliber

AR

Pro's:

Lighter rifle, mags, and ammo
Lighter recoil
Typical ammo is easily reloadable
Flatter trajectory and holds its steam pretty good out to 800 yards or so in 556
Solid optic mount with a flat top receiver for mounting whatever you wish
Endless parts to outfit it the way you choose
Better ergonomics (IMO)
Tons of versatility with a simple upper swap to one of dozens or calibers

Cons:

Not really many I can think of. 556 isn't legal for hunting big game in a lot of states but an upper that costs half of a good AK can be swapped over in a matter of seconds and you can kill anything you wish.

I own both platforms and wouldn't want to give up either. That said, if I had to choose one over the other it would be an AR for obvious reasons. I would also choose to have two AR's instead of one of each. I like AK's but for my purposes they are just range toys.

I would suggest to shoot both before making a decision, they are both good platforms and as long as the rifles capabilities fall within your requirements you can't go wrong wither either.

Don't think you can't.

This will all pass. I'd buy the AR Rockriver 223. Just me. I got an FN,FS 2000, Colt 6920, Stag 6, DPMS SASS 308, and some others, And I like the RR Arms, the best, for a "Gun".Just me. Josh. I've been in this, for 30 yrs. The First gun I'd grab, would be the Rock River. Hands down. My Colt 45, will be on my hip, and the Rock River, will be on my point.Or my M1A. I'd probably sling both, If I "had a need" Whichever I get to first.If you don't have an M1A, get one. They're a great rifle.Start with a Rock River 223, and get a 308, for ........

Last edited:
Ak hands down is more reliable, its like an old land rover defender. Damn things will shoot rusted out steel cased junk, whilst every component is filled with cosmoline and sand without a hiccup. May not be as accurate or anywhere close but try that with ANY ar and your asking for trouble. Theres a reason most folks in the sand boxes around the world trust their lives to them. There also extremely cheap and plentiful which I'm sure helps them make the decision. ..

Our local ACTS match had an all AK match one time...........they had more guns go down than any other match. AK's have terrible ergos, sights, and weight compared to an AR15. People around the world might use them, but there are also many nations that have put the M16 into service as well.

hey after first hand experience i go with AK's everytime. my Ak-47 in 7.62X39 consitantly shoots 1 1/2" at 100 yards with good ammo (Hornady) opens up to 2" average with surplus and wolf stuff. my AK-74 it shoots 1" groups with the good stuff very consistently and the recoild puls of the 5.45X39 is less than the 5.56X45 (5.56 NATO)

IMAG0133.jpg

and the AK-74

mytantal-pka_zps90719173.jpg

I have 2 Ak's, a POF P308 and I just received my SIG 556R 7.62x39 yesterday.

If I was someone looking for my first AK today I would buy a 556R. SIG quality and reliability, very accurate and much lighter than my AK's. Best part is it takes all standard AK magazines except US Palm and chews steel ammo. Feed it some quality brass like Lapua and its super accurate and rings steel out to 800 yards.