• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing AR repair. Please help!

Kyle7

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2013
Watertown, SD
Hello all,
since today was payday for me i figured try and pretty up my AR a little. So among the other stuff i bought, i got a Magpul trigger guard. So i went to remove the rear roll pin on the factory trigger guard, and i started to hammer out the pin with a punch. long story short, i broke off one of the tabs :( now i am wondering what the best route for repair would be. I have pondered about welding it back on and just buying a new stripped lower, but i decided to give JB Weld (steelstik type) a try first. I guess i am just curious what route you guys would suggest, for i am all ears at this point. Thank you for your insight guys

This is a weak link in lowers if abused. I would bite the bullet and get a new lower and keep this as a lesson learned. I don't trust JB but some may.

I'd set the trigger guard In place and mold marine tex or steel bed around it to set it. It's just cosmetic man. Still a good lower. Lesson learned. I used spare wood pieces for support. Give it to the kids to practice builds with.

I think that a Stark grip will conceal the break:

1249502541032-108154381.jpeg

Link: SE-1 AR-15 Pistol Grip

Either stark grip or find a guy locally to tig weld it, then sand it flush and paint the lower.

Been there, done that except I broke of both ears on my first AR build. Tig and paint was the way I went.

It seems that JB is sticking pretty well today, if that doesnt work, i work in a welding facility, so having someone TIG it is a free option. i thought if the JB weld didnt pan out to try the Magpul MIAD with the winter trigger guard. I also decided it wouldnt be a bad thing to build one as well. so maybe ill just make this current one into a truck gun and add that Stark grip, save the Magpul MIAD i have now for my build. Either way, thank you all for your insight and suggestions :)