• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR vs Shottie for Home Defense

Re: AR vs Shottie for Home Defense

Dont count out a Shotgun for anything, I have an M1 S90 as my go to home defense gun, and I have seen John Shaw and others get outright surgical using an 870.

The shotgun is feared and recgonized by all who stare down its muzzle. Plus everyone recognizes the sound of a shotgun being racked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k9ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The shotgun is feared and recgonized by all who stare down its muzzle. Plus everyone recognizes the sound of a shotgun being racked. </div></div>Perhaps... or perhaps not.

Using a firearm as a deterrent will leave the outcome to be determined by the quality of your adversary.
I have found that firearms don't scare those who are committed to a course of action.

45 on the night stand next to me in the bed. Same on a night stand on the SO side. Shotgun in the corner next to me loaded with OO buck. AR with go bag in a closet in the bathroom off the bedroom.

Additional weapons located throughout the house. Big old Rot also, and a tiny yapper to wake the Rot up. A lot depends on where you live, who lives with you and the neighborhood and the arrangement of the house.

Of the 2 I would go with a Shotgun loaded with some low base buckshot. In door is short range and you have less chance of overpenetration of walls with the low base stuff.

However if given the option I would reach for one of my handguns first for in house CQB.

This is taking my home into account. It is not very roomy to be wavy a long gun around.

I am doing the 3 gun, I have a Glock in a small safe on the nightstand and an AR and Remington 870 in the closet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k9ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The shotgun is feared and recgonized by all who stare down its muzzle. Plus everyone recognizes the sound of a shotgun being racked. </div></div>Perhaps... or perhaps not.

Using a firearm as a deterrent will leave the outcome to be determined by the quality of your adversary.
<span style="color: #FF0000">I have found that firearms don't scare those who are committed to a course of action</span>. </div></div>

Or those who are high on PCP.

I like a shotgun for h.d. I keep a 357 in my nightstand just incase I cant get to the bedroom closet quick enough. I also have 2 other shotguns located in main living areas just incase someone kicks the door in. My house isnt very big so I can get to any of my shotguns within 5-6 seconds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k9ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The shotgun is feared and recgonized by all who stare down its muzzle. Plus everyone recognizes the sound of a shotgun being racked. </div></div>

This kind of comment from a LEO is false, unprofessional and irresponsible.

If you are talking about kids spray painting farmer brown's barn, then sure they may scatter when they hear a shotgun racked.

If you are facing a professional criminal, then all you do is give him the opportunity to shoot first. Criminals are not intimidated by what you hold in your hand. They are intimidated by the intent in your eyes.

Hollywood myths need to die. They don't need professionals perpetuating them.

Being on the other side of the water I find this type of post/question and the obsession with SHTF type scenarios (whatever they may be) fascinating.

I would say that here the majority of home invasion/burglary incidents happen when homes are unoccupied (during the day when owners are out at work or out in the evening). Most professional criminals will deliberately avoid any high-risk houses and go for the easy targets instead.

Where criminals are reported to have attacked home owners it is mainly knives, baseball bats or fists. Very, very rarely are firearms used.

But the US is not the UK.....

Are there published statistics in the US for the percentage of burglaries/home intrusions that occur when the owners are at home, how many of those involve the use of firearms (on either side) and how many fatalities are incurred?

No disrespect at all to the guys asking the questions or the professional (and otherwise) advice given here...I'm all for being prepared.

I'd just like to understand if this concern comes from a real and substantiated risk or from a perceived threat fostered by TV/media infatuation with violent crime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AutoXer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How were you able to get your gun out if you were being attacked by a dog? Didn't you have a set of jaws latched down on your arm? </div></div>
I'm sure he used his other arm.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoBig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't the SHTF not too long ago in London?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15433404

</div></div>

Thanks for your perceptive and insightful input. Yes, there was widespead public disorder across the UK for seven days this summer.

But, I didn't see large numbers of people taking the law into their own hands on the streets with firearms, just (as far as I know) you didn't in LA when you had your riots.

So the relevance of your post to my original question is somewhat obscure.

This thread appeared to be about "home defence" - so I guessed it is about preparing for regular crime and more frequently occuring incidents than random rioting every 30 years??

See the difference?

Or does the "home defense" concept encompass kitting up for all eventualities - from burglars thru random public disorder, to preparing for possible alien invasion or plagues of zombies?

If I've stumbled into an arf.com type zombie fest rather than an adult conversation on personal defense...consider my original question rescinded.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Being on the other side of the water I find this type of post/question and the obsession with SHTF type scenarios (whatever they may be) fascinating.

I would say that here the majority of home invasion/burglary incidents happen when homes are unoccupied (during the day when owners are out at work or out in the evening). Most professional criminals will deliberately avoid any high-risk houses and go for the easy targets instead.

Where criminals are reported to have attacked home owners it is mainly knives, baseball bats or fists. Very, very rarely are firearms used.

But the US is not the UK.....

Are there published statistics in the US for the percentage of burglaries/home intrusions that occur when the owners are at home, how many of those involve the use of firearms (on either side) and how many fatalities are incurred?

No disrespect at all to the guys asking the questions or the professional (and otherwise) advice given here...I'm all for being prepared.

I'd just like to understand if this concern comes from a real and substantiated risk or from a perceived threat fostered by TV/media infatuation with violent crime. </div></div>

In my experience in the LE world, most break ins are as you described. Daylight hours with nobody home, or at night when homeowner is out of town or on vacation. Very infrequently is there a break in with a homeowner present. When it does happen, the suspect flees immediately. Contrary to popular belief, they don't grab a kitchen knife, kill the dog, and then rape the wife on the way out the door.

The majority of break ins I have responded to where there was a suspect present were drunks forcing their way into the wrong house because they couldn't get their house key to work in their neighbor's door.

The only burglary I went to that involved a firearm and a shot fired was when the homeowner caught the thieves breaking into his garage, he armed himself, then foolishly went out to confront them (plural) and during the struggle the gun discharged. He's lucky the DA's office didn't charge him for sending a round through the neighborhood when he could have easily called us and stayed put in the house. He's also lucky they didn't thump his ass, take his gun, and turn it on him.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
pc4ea34196.jpg
</div></div>

Joe,

Working on buying the gun and the man-stache, but should I sleep with the chew in to be ready for the zombies if they come at night?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
pc4ea34196.jpg
</div></div>

Joe,

Working on buying the gun, but do I need to sleep with that chew in so I can be a bad ass when the zombies invade in the middle of the night? </div></div>

The real question is....Do you or Do you not have time to bleed?

This thread is entertaining. Simple fact of the matter, NO ONE SIMPLE ANSWER EXIST, everything is situational. One must always remember that the situation dictates the tactics. For me whatever firearm is closest is the most appropriate one. But that is because I live in the sticks and the only other residence in my home are canines. Thus a stray shot will not be of consequence. But not everyone has the same situation. As for hunkering down or being more aggressive this is again situational but in my case I'll be damned if I back down in my own home. Also the laws in this state don't require me to do so. But again this doesn't apply to everyone.

Also when it comes to legal consequences always remember if you do shoot an intruder inside your home you will temporarily loose possession of said firearm. This be the case I'd much rather hand over my cheap little Maverick then my AR.

For home defense I'd vote for the shotgun. Home shootings are at very close range, and you don't have to be that precise with one (early morning half asleep shots).

LawnMM - thanks for the view from your persepctive. I guess it is not too far different from here after all.

The big difference (I'd imagine) is here we have a law of proportionate force. Whereas is it true to say that if someone is illegally in your home in the US you have the right to use lethal force irrespective of whether the intruder is armed or not?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LawnMM - thanks for the view from your persepctive. I guess it is not too far different from here after all.

The big difference (I'd imagine) is here we have a law of proportionate force. Whereas is it true to say that if someone is illegally in your home in the US you have the right to use lethal force irrespective of whether the intruder is armed or not? </div></div>

Only in so-called "castle law" states. As in, "a man's house is his castle".

Thanks Squirrel.

So in other states, does proportionate force come into play in the law?

For example, you come into my house with a knife, I can use a knife to defend myself, - but, if I use a gun, I run the risk of being prosecuted?

Or does the law take the view if an intruder is armed in any way (baseball bat, knife or firearm etc. etc.) and the home owner can demonstrate a real fear for life, then any forcible response can be justified?

Sorry guys - not trying to hijack or derail the thread - just interested to know how the law views firearms for home defense in the US.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Squirrel.

So in other states, does proportionate force come into play in the law?

For example, you come into my house with a knife, I can use a knife to defend myself, - but, if I use a gun, I run the risk of being prosecuted?

Or does the law take the view if an intruder is armed in any way (baseball bat, knife or firearm etc. etc.) and the home owner can demonstrate a real fear for life, then any forcible response can be justified?

Sorry guys - not trying to hijack or derail the thread - just interested to know how the law views firearms for home defense in the US.

</div></div>

I believe that's pretty accurate. In other states, I believe the standard is that one must have a <span style="font-style: italic">reasonable</span> fear for the <span style="font-style: italic">imminent</span> taking of their life, for lethal force to be considered self-defense. Meaning one is supposed to flee if at all possible, I suppose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpr564</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't play COD, I'm a full time LEO and train regularly for failure drills and hostage/taker shooting. I was making a realistic point that I wouldn't even want to hit one of my children with the wad much less shot of any kind. Disciplined shooting means that you place your shots and they go where intended. They call it a "scatter gun" for a reason and in my personal opinion only, which is worth just as little as anyone else's here, a pistol or carbine is better than a shotgun when you have to be accountable for noncombatants. If you want to blow the shit out of stuff and don't care what else you hit a shotgun is awesome. </div></div>

Good point,
Some load testing is in order.

In my 10 yard testing with (my shotgun and Federal 2-3/4 1290fps load) the wad does not leave a 6-8 inch sighting circle on the targets. My testing (and longest possible indoor shot) is within 30 feet. So the only thing that will be blown to shit in my house is in my sights.

You should be proud to be a LEO and thank you for your service. I am very pleased to hear you actually train.
Having the local cops shoot and test at my local range has been a real eye opener. I am shocked at how few LEOs can actually shoot....Shoot and hit the target that is.
And qualifying....What a joke!
I can only hope the LEO's in your area are held to a higher level.

I'm pretty sure my house is more likely to be robbed while I'm at work than when I'm actually there. As my only gun not in a safe is my bedside gun, its something inexpensive like a Glock, or a Mossberg. Even a cheap AR optic costs more that either one of those.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LawnMM - thanks for the view from your persepctive. I guess it is not too far different from here after all.

The big difference (I'd imagine) is here we have a law of proportionate force. Whereas is it true to say that if someone is illegally in your home in the US you have the right to use lethal force irrespective of whether the intruder is armed or not? </div></div>

The big factor in the US is whether or not you fear imminent serious injury or death. Some parts of the country go a bit farther with the so called castle doctrines and make my day laws. At the end of the day its going to come down to whether or not it was reasonable for you to use the force you used based on your fears at the time.

For the most part, you are safe to assume someone that is inside your house is willing to do you harm and you can act accordingly. People should still do some reading on the subject and speak with an attorney about it beforehand though. If you shoot somebody in your house and the local DA asks why, your answer better be something other than, "He was in my house, freebie!"

You need to articulate that fear of serious harm or death. That's where your proportionate force may come into play. If you shoot a drunk college kid that forces his way into the wrong house and he's so sloppy drunk he can't stand there may be some question as to how reasonable your fear of harm was. If you're a small figured woman and the drunk college kid is 6'4" on the football team, it may be a much easier job to show that fear. Everything comes into play, EVERYTHING.

So the folks that say there's no black and white answer are correct.

LawnMM - thanks again - makes sense.

We have two well known cases here in the UK in recent years where intruders were shot which sparked the whole debate on the laws regarding the howeowners right to self-defence and what constitutes reasonable force.

One ended with the home owner being put away for murder, the other where the guy was acquited. Both were older guys on their own in remote farms when they discovered intruders.

Both used shotguns. Both had been the victims of repeated intrusions.

In the case of Tony Martin, he was sent down. As far as I recall one of the burglars was killed another wounded. Although the intruders were known to police for other offenses, Martin's claim of self-defence was unsuccesful as it was "proven" that he had shot at the intruders as they were running away from the property

The other guy shot both his intruders in the legs as they came towards him. His property had been tergetted on a number of occasions (farm machinery had been stolen). On the last occasion he had been able to claim he was in fear of his life (a) as they were inside his property, (b) he believed they had come back to steal his firearms so feared imminent injury or death, (c) he was out-numbered and (d) he had shot with the intent to disable, not kill.

For me the discussion on what firearm may be best for home defense is incomplete without consideration of when it may be appropriate to escalate to use of firearms and the potential consequences thereof.

Like I said earlier - I believe in being prepared but hope no-one here has to take the step of actually using their weapons at home!

Wishing you all a Happy and Safe New Year!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shotgun will penetrate more than an AR. A pistol will penetrate more than an AR.

I have an AR loaded with 55 gr V-Max. </div></div>

Not sure where you got that. Dug out a 55 grainer 1.5" deep in a stud after passing through 6 sheets of drywall and a piece of trim that originated in an adjacent residence fired from an AR.</div></div>
Honestly, my first plan, if alone and not obligated to keep anyone else safe, is retreat to a safe room if able (meaning BG not between myself and safe room)...If that entrance is breached with me behind that door - that/those invaders will be facing an arsenal...

If I have to use a weapon: I've heard that a TAP round (i.e Hornady 69gr TAP which my little Stag just loves) will penetrate drywall less than a 9mm, yet have more tissue implosion properties; ballistics guys correct me if I'm wrong. I've heard both sides.
Obviously, the best gun is your nearest gun and the one you feel most comfortable with. Pistols serve to get you back to your long gun which should have been your side to begin with. My personal answer is the AR for the following reasons:
1. The issue of penetration/tissue ballistics. I live where you can literally reach out & touch your neighbor, this matters.
2. I really don't want to destroy any part of my house the way a shotgun would.
3. 28 rounds, wolves travel in packs. Some wear vests.
4. From my personal experiences with shoot-house simunitions with my AR and intentionally NOT using my sites: an AR is truly a point & shoot anwhere within 30 feet. You may have to do a live fire (simunition) exercise to convince yourself of this, but I did it and I believe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LawnMM - thanks again - makes sense.

We have two well known cases here in the UK in recent years where intruders were shot which sparked the whole debate on the laws regarding the howeowners right to self-defence and what constitutes reasonable force.

One ended with the home owner being put away for murder, the other where the guy was acquited. Both were older guys on their own in remote farms when they discovered intruders.

Both used shotguns. Both had been the victims of repeated intrusions.

In the case of Tony Martin, he was sent down. As far as I recall one of the burglars was killed another wounded. Although the intruders were known to police for other offenses, Martin's claim of self-defence was unsuccesful as it was "proven" that he had shot at the intruders as they were running away from the property

The other guy shot both his intruders in the legs as they came towards him. His property had been tergetted on a number of occasions (farm machinery had been stolen). On the last occasion he had been able to claim he was in fear of his life (a) as they were inside his property, (b) he believed they had come back to steal his firearms so feared imminent injury or death, (c) he was out-numbered and (d) he had shot with the intent to disable, not kill.

For me the discussion on what firearm may be best for home defense is incomplete without consideration of when it may be appropriate to escalate to use of firearms and the potential consequences thereof.

Like I said earlier - I believe in being prepared but hope no-one here has to take the step of actually using their weapons at home!

Wishing you all a Happy and Safe New Year! </div></div>

BasraBoy,

When i moved to the US from the UK i thought a lot of this home defense (sorry defence) chat on the forums was over the top and more than a little "gun-ho". I've got to say though i'm really shocked at the level of violence and random violence at that in the US. Back in Blighty you get the standard burglary for the most part, the deserved football player being robbed when he's playing away (in more sense than one) and the very occasional violent break-in which hits the media big time. Over here, the violence is just on a different level. The aggression is senseless and you just have to be here a short while to read or hear about home invasions, road-rage gone bad and just random acts of extreme violence. There are just far more firearms in the wrong hands here and those hands seem very willing to use them with limited respect for human life. While i'm sure you can get unlucky in the UK the odds just appear that much shorter here. I'm starting to understand why people here spend time and effort thinking about the type of things we never really have to consider back home. Different ball-game altogether.

I would go with either, whatever you feel the best with

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

BasraBoy,

When i moved to the US from the UK i thought a lot of this home defense (sorry defence) chat on the forums was over the top and more than a little "gun-ho". I've got to say though i'm really shocked at the level of violence and random violence at that in the US. Back in Blighty you get the standard burglary for the most part, the deserved football player being robbed when he's playing away (in more sense than one) and the very occasional violent break-in which hits the media big time. Over here, the violence is just on a different level. The aggression is senseless and you just have to be here a short while to read or hear about home invasions, road-rage gone bad and just random acts of extreme violence. There are just far more firearms in the wrong hands here and those hands seem very willing to use them with limited respect for human life. While i'm sure you can get unlucky in the UK the odds just appear that much shorter here. I'm starting to understand why people here spend time and effort thinking about the type of things we never really have to consider back home. Different ball-game altogether. </div></div>

TJ - thanks.

Yes, you are right, we are for the most part "sheltered" here in the UK from random and extreme violence.

I shoot with a South African ex-cop from time to time. He told me what a relief it is to have his family in the UK and feel confident that they are noy likely to be kidnapped or killed whilst he is out at work.

Having said that, there have been a number of murders over the Christmas and New Year period over here - including one involving an Indian student shot on the street in Salford for no reason other than being Indian,and another where a kid was stabbed in Oxford Street during the day at the height of the Sales (apprently in a dispute over a pair of trousers).

I am sure that, given time, the random violennce aspect you mention will only increase here.

I've never believed in proportionate/reasonable force as a limit on protecting one's home and family.

As for the PC obsession with the human rights of intruders (who choose to place themselves outside the law the minute they decide to break into someone's home, but crave it's protection the minute their plan bites them in the ass) that is (IMHO) pure BS!

My late father-in-law apprehended an intruder in his home back in the early '70's. Both my MiL and my wife (then aged under 10) were in the house.

Using skills he had learned and utilised during WW2 and a Mauser bayonet he had taken off a German with whom he had had a disagreement (needless to say the German had lost).

He held the criminal until the police arrived - at that point the officer told my FiL that he had better put the weapon away before he (the office) saw it.

He then lectured my FiL on the risks of confronting an assailant with a weapon and having the assailant take the weapon from you and use it themselves.

These days my FiL would have been arrested immediately alongside the intruder and charged with assault and possession of an offensive weapon!

Whilst "castle law" may be seen here as an extreme response, I can see how homeowners feel it is appropriate and take steps to ensure their own security.

I am sure there are many here in the UK who feel that a similar law should prevail here...... "enter at your own risk!"

Shortly after the riots this summer my South African mate told me I'd been insane to sell my semi-auto .22LR AR clone - he said I should get another one ASAP. Why?

In his opinion, loaded with hollow point ammo, it was an ideal home defense tool!

But he made the point that a tool is just a tool and can just as easily become a liability to the user without:

(a) proper training,
(b) the ability and discipline to remember and use the training under pressure and
(c) a knowledge of the law/rules of engagement!

Keep safe!!

I don't own handguns; I dislike the idea of the justice system being involved in the granting of pistol permits here in NY State. As a Marine, I have always A) considered them to be excellent for fighting my way to my rifle, and B) since my rifle was always within reach, I learned to get by without one fairly well.

Instead, one can walk into Wal-Mart and walk back out 1/2 hour later with an 11-87 20ga.

Consider:

A 20ga buck round holds around 20 pellets of #3 or #4 buck, each about 22cal of round lead. One shot and that entire load is headed downrange, about the same as emptying an AR magazine, but a lot quicker start to end. At CQB distances, the rifle holds less advantage than that, IMHO. I don't need rifle velocities because I'm not spanning rifle distances.

Also, at CQB distances, dispersion is an advantage. I experimented with commercial 20ga buck loads and a rifled choke tube. At hallway distances, the buck load dispersed wide enough to blanket an entire hallway. Seen in such a light, I like that.

Then, I tried plain old 20ga Rem Slugger rifled slugs with the same rifled choke. Patterned about fist sized at 60-70yd, using a dot scope. I also like that.

Alternate buck and slug and you've got the CQB envelope pretty well covered.

I like the 20ga for its tamer disposition, and it's lady shooter friendly too. Modern 20ga loads give away very little to their 12ga cousins.

According to box-of-truth, the 20ga slug penetrates one gallon jug of water, period. I like that too. It delivers all its energy without having to penetrate as far as a 12ga, and overpenetration is less of an issue too. The 20ga buck load actually penetrates further, but my guess is it's still less than 12ga #00 buck, so overpenetration is probably still less of an issue.

Finally, I believe in a doctrine of minimal necessary force. Sure I could load up with 12ga 3 1/2" mags, but I don't need the overkill when the 20 does enough. Might even prove handier afterward on a witness stand.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">I don't own handguns; I dislike the idea of the justice system being involved in the granting of pistol permits here in NY State.</span> As a Marine, I have always A) considered them to be excellent for fighting my way to my rifle, and B) since my rifle was always within reach, I learned to get by without one fairly well.

Instead, one can walk into Wal-Mart and walk back out 1/2 hour later with an 11-87 20ga.

Consider:

A 20ga buck round holds around 20 pellets of #3 or #4 buck, each about 22cal of round lead. One shot and that entire load is headed downrange, about the same as emptying an AR magazine, but a lot quicker start to end. At CQB distances, the rifle holds less advantage than that, IMHO. I don't need rifle velocities because I'm not spanning rifle distances.

Also, at CQB distances, dispersion is an advantage. I experimented with commercial 20ga buck loads and a rifled choke tube. At hallway distances, the buck load dispersed wide enough to blanket an entire hallway. Seen in such a light, I like that.

Then, I tried plain old 20ga Rem Slugger rifled slugs with the same rifled choke. Patterned about fist sized at 60-70yd, using a dot scope. I also like that.

Alternate buck and slug and you've got the CQB envelope pretty well covered.

I like the 20ga for its tamer disposition, and it's lady shooter friendly too. Modern 20ga loads give away very little to their 12ga cousins.

According to box-of-truth, the 20ga slug penetrates one gallon jug of water, period. I like that too. It delivers all its energy without having to penetrate as far as a 12ga, and overpenetration is less of an issue too. The 20ga buck load actually penetrates further, but my guess is it's still less than 12ga #00 buck, so overpenetration is probably still less of an issue.

Finally, I believe in a doctrine of minimal necessary force. Sure I could load up with 12ga 3 1/2" mags, but I don't need the overkill when the 20 does enough. Might even prove handier afterward on a witness stand.

Greg</div></div>

Sounds like the perfect example of gun control Greg... The only people it controls is the law-abiding citizens.

Appreciate the imput on this subject from the UK guys, interesting. I didn't realize the UK was such a peaceful place. I guess a lot of the stats I've seen in the past are untrue and I know that certainly can be the case. Like to point out to you though what differences the actual size of our country makes. Home defense is important to people in our large cities because thats where most of our violent crimes take place. Its also very important to those in rural areas simply because many many of our population are well outside an hour getting any kind of help from LEO. My ranch is 15 min from the police station of a small Arkansas town but there is the OK/AR state line in between so they have no jurishdiction here. LE for us comes from the county sheriff that is 45 min away start to finish. I've never seen them make it within anywhere near 1 hr. The plus is, violent crimes are very, very rare...these are good people.

"Proporsionate/reasonable force" has always been an interesting concept to me. Exactly how do you determine what that is in the heat of the moment when light is low (at best) and you have just been awakened? In just a couple seconds will you be able see if he or she is carrying a gun, a knife, a bat, a taser or nothing? Should I turn the lights on to identify him, see if he's a drunk busting in the wrong door or is his stumbling due to the fact that he's walking faster than he can keep up with because he's high on PCP and he shoots me instantly leaving my loved ones to deal with them on there own? I live in OK who is (like several others around us) very lenient when it comes to protecting yourself in your home, thank God. Most people in this part of the country believe as I do....when someone breaks into your home, your life is at that moment "in danger". When they decided to bust into your home they did it knowing that there would be the possibility that they may run into the home owner or someone else that should be there, they are prepared to deal with it and you damn sure better be too....I will be. Oh, BTW, in my situation, I WANT to be able to shoot threw walls. How else will I be able to shoot an intruder thats on the other side of a wall? And I wont be shooting at your legs.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Appreciate the imput on this subject from the UK guys, interesting. I didn't realize the UK was such a peaceful place. I guess a lot of the stats I've seen in the past are untrue and I know that certainly can be the case. Like to point out to you though what differences the actual size of our country makes. Home defense is important to people in our large cities because thats where most of our violent crimes take place. Its also very important to those in rural areas simply because many many of our population are well outside an hour getting any kind of help from LEO. My ranch is 15 min from the police station of a small Arkansas town but there is the OK/AR state line in between so they have no jurishdiction here. LE for us comes from the county sheriff that is 45 min away start to finish. I've never seen them make it within anywhere near 1 hr. The plus is, violent crimes are very, very rare...these are good people.

"Proporsionate/reasonable force" has always been an interesting concept to me. Exactly how do you determine what that is in the heat of the moment when light is low (at best) and you have just been awakened? In just a couple seconds will you be able see if he or she is carrying a gun, a knife, a bat, a taser or nothing? Should I turn the lights on to identify him, see if he's a drunk busting in the wrong door or is his stumbling due to the fact that he's walking faster than he can keep up with because he's high on PCP and he shoots me instantly leaving my loved ones to deal with them on there own? I live in OK who is (like several others around us) very lenient when it comes to protecting yourself in your home, thank God. Most people in this part of the country believe as I do....when someone breaks into your home, your life is at that moment "in danger". When they decided to bust into your home they did it knowing that there would be the possibility that they may run into the home owner or someone else that should be there, they are prepared to deal with it and you damn sure better be too....I will be. Oh, BTW, in my situation, I WANT to be able to shoot threw walls. How else will I be able to shoot an intruder thats on the other side of a wall? And I wont be shooting at your legs.

okie </div></div>

Perhaps it's worth mentioning that "castle doctrine" was enacted in your state, exactly two months ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Solid_Squirrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps it's worth mentioning that "castle doctrine" was enacted in your state, exactly two months ago.</div></div>Perhaps, but what did that law change? Did it provide, like most 'castle doctrine' laws, that there is no longer a duty to retreat in one's own home? Chances are that it did not re-define reasonable force in Oklahoma.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Proporsionate/reasonable force" has always been an interesting concept to me. Exactly how do you determine what that is in the heat of the moment when light is low (at best) and you have just been awakened?</div></div>That's a very good question. It brings up two very important things to learn about before using deadly force (what follows is opinion, not legal advice):

1) How does my State define justifiable homicide?

Check your State stautes. In Michigan, the killing of another person in self-defense is justifiable homicide if, under all the circumstances, the defendant honestly and reasonably believes his life is in imminent danger or he is under immediate threat of serious bodily harm and [he reasonably and honestly believes] that it is necessary to use deadly force to prevent the harm. <span style="text-decoration: underline">People v. Daniels</span>, 192 Mich. App. 658 (1991).

The key word here is “necessary”: If you shoot an armed attacker because you honestly believe he is a space alien coming to suck out your brains, then your belief in the necessity is not reasonable. If you shoot someone who is pointing a gun at you, but you don’t really think he will pull the trigger, then your belief in the necessity of your actions is not an honest one.

In most states the law presumes that if someone breaks into your home he is intent on doing harm to the people in the home (as opposed to simply wanting to steal property). What the home owner knows about the attacker (and what he doesn't know) is relevant to his decision to use force.

2) Is a mistake of fact a defense, and, if so, to what crime?

A mistake of fact is a mistaken or ignorant belief that circumstances are not as they truly are. In general, any mistake of fact is a defense to murder, even if the mistake was unreasonable, provided that it negates an element of the crime. On the other hand, a mistake of fact is a defense to involuntary manslaughter (a negligent killing) only if it is reasonable - meaning only if it is the type of mistake a reasonable person would have made under the same or similar circumstances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Solid_Squirrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps it's worth mentioning that "castle doctrine" was enacted in your state, exactly two months ago.</div></div>Perhaps. But what does it mean - that there is no longer a duty to retreat in one's own home? Or does it re-define what is reasonable force in Oklahoma?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Proporsionate/reasonable force" has always been an interesting concept to me. Exactly how do you determine what that is in the heat of the moment when light is low (at best) and you have just been awakened?</div></div>That's a very good question. It brings up two very important things to learn about before using deadly force (what follows is opinion, not legal advice):

1) How does my State define justifiable homicide?

Check your State stautes. In Michigan, the killing of another person in self-defense is justifiable homicide if, under all the circumstances, the defendant honestly and reasonably believes his life is in imminent danger or he is under immediate threat of serious bodily harm and [he reasonably and honestly believes] that it is necessary to use deadly force to prevent the harm. <span style="text-decoration: underline">People v. Daniels</span>, 192 Mich. App. 658 (1991).

The key word here is “necessary”: If you shoot an armed attacker because you honestly believe he is a space alien coming to suck out your brains, then your belief in the necessity is not reasonable. If you shoot someone who is pointing a gun at you, but you don’t really think he will pull the trigger, then your belief in the necessity of your actions is not an honest one.

In most states the law presumes that if someone breaks into your home he is intent on doing harm to the people in the home (as opposed to simply wanting to steal property). What the home owner knows about the attacker (and what he doesn't know) is relevant to his decision to use force.

2) Is a mistake of fact a defense, and, if so, to what crime?

A mistake of fact is a mistaken or ignorant belief that circumstances are not as they truly are. In general, any mistake of fact is a defense to murder, even if the mistake was unreasonable, provided that it negates an element of the crime. On the other hand, a mistake of fact is a defense to involuntary manslaughter (a negligent killing) only if it is reasonable - meaning only if it is the type of mistake a reasonable person would have made under the same or similar circumstances. </div></div>

Apparently it does remove the duty to retreat. From wikipedia:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Castle Doctrine (also known as a Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law) is an American legal doctrine arising from English common law[1] that designates one's place of residence (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as one's car or place of work) as a place in which one enjoys protection from illegal trespassing and violent attack. It then goes on to give a person the legal right to use deadly force to defend their place, and any other innocent persons legally inside it, from violent attack or an intrusion which may lead to violent attack. In a legal context, therefore, use of deadly force which actually results in death may be defended as justifiable homicide under the Castle Doctrine.</div></div>

Read the whole page, it has too much information to post here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine

i would say a shotgun based on the fact that it will have less penetration and arguably more power depending on your loadout.

I think it depends on what a person is used to and proficient with. Some guys just can't use a shotgun, or they need more practice with one. If you are used to shooting an AR all the time, then go with an AR.

Other than that, I think both are highly effective. I keep a .45, 12g shotgun, and an AR handy near the bed. I would use any or all. The shotgun up close is pretty dang wicked, but so is the .45 and the AR. (Shotgun = more recoil, less rounds.)

As long as you hit the BG they both work really well.

Solid_Squirrel Perhaps it's worth mentioning that "castle doctrine" was enacted in your state said:
Well, that was actually an "expansion bill" to the castle doctrine which has been in effect in OK for years. This bill ADDS to the doctrines effect to not only give home owners the right to protect themselves with deadly force, but also give owners, managers and employees of a business the right to do the same if there is "resonable fear of imminant peril of death or great bodily harm". It was house bill 1439 and passed on Nov. 1 according to the NRA's newsletter. So otherwise, when the piece of shit that comes in the 7-11 and starts beatin the little gal that is runnin the register with a baseball bat she can grab that .357 under the counter and blow his shit away....and I think thats great...damn, I love my state.

Graham, once again, the problem I have with "determining if your life is in danger" is its simply imposible to do when you follow most states guidelines. IMO, when someone comes into your house uninvited and illeagally.....your life (and everyone elses legally there) is AT THAT MOMENT in danger, its just that simple. Theres no way you can know if thier armed. Theres no way you can know thier intent, thier frame of mind, whether thier on drugs, a first timer or a serial killer. When they come into my home, I'm not even gonna concider any of that, I'm gonna protect my loved ones and do my best to eleminate the threat imediately. I just cant see any other rational way to think about it.

okie

The law rarely gives people a green-light in advance, but most meaningful legal presumptions are usually on your side when you are defending yourself from uninvited trespassing felons when in your own home.

These days it would seem rational to assume that someone who breaks into your house in this country, and when you are home, is probably armed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=Solid_Squirrel
Perhaps it's worth mentioning that "castle doctrine" was enacted in your state, exactly two months ago. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, that was actually an "expansion bill" to the castle doctrine which has been in effect in OK for years. This bill ADDS to the doctrines effect to not only give home owners the right to protect themselves with deadly force, but also give owners, managers and employees of a business the right to do the same if there is "resonable fear of imminant peril of death or great bodily harm". It was house bill 1439 and passed on Nov. 1 according to the NRA's newsletter. So otherwise, when the piece of shit that comes in the 7-11 and starts beatin the little gal that is runnin the register with a baseball bat she can grab that .357 under the counter and blow his shit away....and I think thats great...damn, I love my state.

Graham, once again, the problem I have with "determining if your life is in danger" is its simply imposible to do when you follow most states guidelines. IMO, when someone comes into your house uninvited and illeagally.....your life (and everyone elses legally there) is AT THAT MOMENT in danger, its just that simple. Theres no way you can know if thier armed. Theres no way you can know thier intent, thier frame of mind, whether thier on drugs, a first timer or a serial killer. When they come into my home, I'm not even gonna concider any of that, I'm gonna protect my loved ones and do my best to eleminate the threat imediately. I just cant see any other rational way to think about it.

okie </div></div>

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I agree, and I would think that the intrinsically violent nature of home invasion, is such that the likelihood of the home invader being a hardcore and violent criminal is high. It is such a grave violation of one's space, that they generally would not do it, unless they were also easily capable of violence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k9ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The shotgun is feared and recgonized by all who stare down its muzzle. Plus everyone recognizes the sound of a shotgun being racked. </div></div>

This kind of comment from a LEO is false, unprofessional and irresponsible.

If you are talking about kids spray painting farmer brown's barn, then sure they may scatter when they hear a shotgun racked.

If you are facing a professional criminal, then all you do is give him the opportunity to shoot first. Criminals are not intimidated by what you hold in your hand. They are intimidated by the intent in your eyes.

Hollywood myths need to die. They don't need professionals perpetuating them.</div></div>

It is beyond refreshing to hear an educated professional knocking down popular myths in an accurate and succinct manner. I'll admit that a large part of my antipathy towards shotguns as a defensive weapon stems from the vast ignorances about their characteristics and use on the part of the public. One grows tired of hearing the sage "racking causes instant win" advice, or the ever-popular "I don't wanna have to aim" theory of close quarters battle (let's not even mention the "doesn't go through walls" conviction). Invariably there's a positive correlation between those who know the least about shooting - theory, technique, interior/exterior ballistics, existing product options, firearms safety - and the strength of their convictions about the suitability of a weapon for their own use.

And to what you've said, I'll also add this basic rule of defensive shotguns: Do Not Buy A Pistol-Grip-Only Shotgun. Ever. Under any circumstances. No passing Go, no collecting $200, and no buying a Mossberg Cruiser. There may be more useless weapons in the world, but none that are so widely admired and purchased for self-protection. At least the stereotypical gun buyer lusting after a Desert Eagle doesn't usually do so under the belief that it's going to make a great home defense gun for his wife to use. The stereotypical hip-fired 12 gauge is damn near impossible for most people to effectively aim, slow to reload (if you don't short-stroke it under stress), brutally uncomfortable with standard defensive loads, and for some people practically more dangerous to the user than the target.

So naturally it's one of the all-time best sellers for people looking to buy a gun for home defense. Hey, it's cheap and an AR or a decent handgun would cost more money, so let's buy a 500A instead! What could possibly go wrong...?

My personal dislike of the NY State handgun permit issuing methods might be an example of effective gun control, but honestly, that's probably more just a concidence.

More likely, after ten years or so of 3-Gun Bullseye shooting, I have probably gotten the handgun bug out of my system. Honestly, shooting a handgun was never a truly natural act for me, the way long guns seem to be.

While I could probably still pick one up and send a few in the right direction (I once attained NRA Handgun Instructor certification, and repeatedly missed USMC Pistol quals with the 1911 and the 92FS as Expert by one point), they are simply not the thing that comes first to my mind. Probably wouldn't be all that legal (for me, anyway) here in the Empire State (without a valid permit), but one does what one must in exigent situations.

Greg

A shotgun is hard to beat followed by a handgun. I would even question standard capacity arguments some have presented when an AR is compared to a shotgun (unless they are packing a beta drum). I include shell capacity...so 9 pellet 00 buck x 8 shells in the gun = 72 round of around .32 caliber moving at 1300 - 1450 fps. Not bad for someone sleepy and alarmed in the middle of the night.

Also, as to sight alignment, a pressure switch mounted fore end light works well for a sight system so no sight alignment needed. If intruder is in the beam, he will most likely get hit.

Get rid the sling it will only catch on things, get a light, and the shorter the barrel the better.