• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AR10 Rail Riser?

AZgeek

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2014
Tucson AZ
Putting a Primary Arms Platinum 1-8x scope on a .308 AR10. I have a set of 34mm 1" high Badger Ordnance Rings on hand but they are just a tad too low. Need an minimum of an additional 1/4 inch of height. This is a battle rifle (for now anyway) but not interested in a half-assed solution to this problem. Is a riser a viable option? If so are there brands I should or should not consider?

Thx!

AZ

PRI makes a quality "AR10" length riser in flat and sloped version. I have two.

There might be better but not by much and the price is reasonable.

Most risers add 0.5-6" and standard AR optic height is around 1.5" so a riser and low rings will get you right around that height.

A riser with high rings might need a taller comb for good cheek weld.

I run 1/2" risers,and medium rings ( 30 mm ) on all my AR's. They work perfect for me.

After rooting around in the shop, found what appears to be 1" riser. Brand unknown. Slapped on there and it appears to line up quite well, with no need to crank up my PRS cheek riser. I think I understated how much more height I needed. Since my cost is ZERO, I'll give this setup at try.

1530154143882.png

Well have to bail on the cheap, on-hand riser. Way too much variability and could never get it to align correctly with the upper receiver rail.

I really like my Burris P.E.P.R. mount its under a hundred bucks and aluminum.
2017-10-29_12.03.44.jpg

I usually go for ~1.5" or so for an AR optic, but that's me. I get a good cheekweld and it'll line up with clip on NV whenever I get it.

I had a problem like yours but also needed it to extend forward just a bit and I used a Larue QD extended riser. It made the optic QD and allowed me to use the rings I had.

I eventually changed the scope on that rifle and used the rings on a .22 so I have that Larue QD riser, if you're interested I'll let it go for a decent price. Just PM me and I can get you pictures.

I also second PRI as a solid solution, they make various rails and risers and such and are of good quality.

In the last 15 years or so, I have always used AR specific mounts, like LT's SPR stuff, or NF Unimount. I have been looking at risers, and wondering if in 2018, they are still a good way to go. I think we all used them back in the day, when there was no other way, but how about today? They would allow me to use normal rings, which would make swapping scopes around easier, but other than that, not sure if there is a benefit.

I'd like to hear pros and cons, if anyone has any opinions on it.

I just got a Bobro compact mount. It's a new dual scope ring and dual latch QD with a 0.947" height from rail to centerline.

My first Bobro, it is really nice.

If I use a riser with slope that matches the rail on my bolt action rifle, I should be able to move the scope back and forth between rifles and the zeros shouldn't be too far off.

I think that's a good use of a riser if you want to use one high dollar scope on a bolt action rifle and an AR.

Beside that it gives a lot of flexibility with ring placement. If you have a big 56mm objective, I like to grab the scope as close to the objective bell as possible.

I opted for a weaver 1/2 20moa riser. I'm swapping scopes back and forth between a Valkyrie upper and a shorty 308 bolt gun. The riser allows me to use ARC low 34mm rings on both. So far so good.

Went with a YHM riser:

YHM AR-15 Scope Riser 5.25" Long 1/2" Tall
YHM-227A

$39.25 including shipping from Cheaper Than Dirt. I've moved this optic to my M4 due to weight concerns on the AR10.