• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ar15 for yote hunting

afv338

anthony
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
pa
I'm contemplating buying a ar15 for yote hunting in currently running a ga precision 6 creed bolt gun with a halo lr i have a couple of colts but they are set up for other things would like to get a factory gun that shoots half moa. is this possible or should i stay with what i have. what should i be looking at.

I'd get whatever completed lower you find (or use an existing) and throw a Craddock complete upper in 224 Valkyrie on it. Or save some money and just get the barrel from them and assemble the upper.

Also have been thinking it would be fun to pick up a 6 ARC and use some of the lighter 243 varmint bullets, like the 70 Nosler BTs or 87 Vmax. Either way, I think a 224 V or 6ARC would be the way to go. If you're not feeling adventurous, 223 Rem is still a great round as well.

any AR will work to be honest. Pick or build what you like, not really going to matter. I say this because you want to hunt with it. You really don't need .5 moa to hunt yotes.

Reactions: drewthebrave
Nothing wrong with using your bolt gun. An AR will work, but I'm not sure it's worth building one when you have a nice bolt and Colt ready to go. Pick a good bullet and get at 'em with what you have.

Maybe he wants it for faster follow-up shots, they are quick little bastards. Since you've already got some colt lowers I would just build a SPR/DMR style upper with a respectable barrel choice and you'll be good to go.

I'm contemplating buying a ar15 for yote hunting in currently running a ga precision 6 creed bolt gun with a halo lr i have a couple of colts but they are set up for other things would like to get a factory gun that shoots half moa. is this possible or should i stay with what i have. what should i be looking at.
In GA we pop coyotes and hogs with the AR constantly. 223/5.56 and my uncle runs with 6.8SPC. Never an issue. We run hollow point ammo typically or lead nose, not FMJ ammo. Never an issue. A good shot is still a good shot.10-15 yotes and about 100-150 hogs every year if I include what my cousins drop...

i should have stated as i dont know alot about manufactures of ars what are some good ones to look at as i want some thing that will shoot around half moa if that is possible seems like their is thousands to pick from i would spend about 2500. for a good one.

i dont want to break up the ones i have would like one dedicated and with all the ammo with what it is for now i think i want to stay with 223.

I can fully understand about the AR for shooting coyotes. I do the same thing. Yeah a bolt will work but an AR is nice too.
I’ll be honest, my SPR/Coyote rifle/Close in deer rifle/AR tactical Comp rifle is a Seekins Precision. It is was the 3G2 and now it’s called the DMR. I’d go with them. The gun lends itself to coyote hunting. 18” barrel, quality and precision, tunable gas block, great trigger, and a down the middle barrel twist at 1:8 allowing heavy and light bullets. All of those things I’d look for in a coyote AR. They sell it in 223wylde and 6mm Arc.

but everyone is different.

I have a Daniel Defense mk12 Tornado ceracote.(yes I know its not a "real" mk12) VERY low round count. Sounds like what you would like. .223....Research it and then PM if your interested.

thanks for the suggestions gentlemen. im looking going to a gun show this weekend.

i have a line on a older bushmaster predator might take a look at it. what do you think about it i have shot bushmasters but not this model.

I build a 6 ARC specifically for this use. Only been out once but smoked the coyote we did call in. I highly recommend 6 ARC, but if you didn't do that I would probably just stick to .223. Heard too many horror stories about the 224 Valk.

i just dont want to try and find dies brass and bullets or look for ammo at these prices. i have 223 dies bullets and around 80 thousand primers i collected over the years i just did inventory. lots of 22 bullets and powder. i used to get my ammo 223 and 308 ammo for free but now i have to pay. so i think 223 would be the best bet retired now and lots of time to hunt and reload.

Yeah, they work fine.
20210101_075830.jpg

i really got bit by the coyote hunting i have a place it nd i started down the thermal hole bought a halo lr and a nox for scanner and had a blast called them in every night. now im in pa and its not so hot.

You have any suppressors? That could dictate what caliber you run.

If not you may consider the distances you would be shooting coyotes at. Location and terrain local to you combined with specific hunting sites should be considered.

Everyone has opinions about distances and ethics....let's not derail this thread with that.

If I was going to be shooting past 400 yards regularly at coyotes I would run a 6ARC or 224V if I was staying small frame and running a gas gun.

I built an AR a few years back that uses some quality parts where it really matters (bcm thermo fit upper, White Oak Armament SPR 18 in barrel, SSA-E trigger, jp scs H2, PRI gas buster, and adjustable gas block. The rifle shoots amazing.

I do reload but it's really awesome to snag IMI razorcore 77 gr and 69gr when it goes on sale with free shipping/no Hazmat.

I have yet to take it out coyote hunting but in 2 weeks I am doing a local coyote competition.

If you don't have a large frame gas gun and have other potential needs/roles it may be worth considering a large frame even though it's definitely not required. A 6CM or 6.5CM would be a sweet rig to really hammer down and be able to deliver energy at longer distances when needed.

Good luck, it's a tough time to be buying or building right now.

There's a bunch of quality manufacturers that make what you are looking for.

Buying an MK12 upper and an SSA-E for a lower you have is another way to get the job done. I know you said you don't wanna break up a rifle but I have seen MK12 uppers for sale here in the px frequently as of late.

i do have 2 suppressors in lockup right now but they are both 30cal i used when working. the one colt i have has a 10.5 barrel eotec stiner dbal and its around the house just in case, the other one i have a vortex 1x5 with 16 in barrel i want to keep it as is as i can use it durning the day. i thought about using it but i thing i would be best served getting a new rig. the ga 6 creed is not bad but i think it would be better served on a ar type platform as i had to modify a half in riser to get to get the halo to work and leave it hang over the end of the gun and cut some of it away to get the bolt to lift. it works but i think it would be better on a flat top plus rapid shots on doubles.

Gotcha

There's also Mike at Dtech who has been doing custom calibers in AR15 for over 10 years.

I was eyeing one of his AR15 .243 WSSM uppers for a couple years. Part of me still wants one but now .224V or 6ARC has big manufacturers behind them.

A buddy of mine had a GAP AR10 and had Bart aka toygunner on here spin up a 6CM barrel for it and that rifle was a HAMMER.

Good thing about your cans is they are .30 cal.

You interested in building one from the ground up or more likely to buy a complete rifle?

wanting to buy a complete rifle. a friend of mine has a 224v he built you would not be unhappy with one it shoots like you would not believe.

my bad he has a 6.5 grendel i just talked to him he said that 224v eats cases.

Your 16" Colt with Vortex LPVO will be more than fine for taking coyotes. My buddy hunts Coyotes with an 18" 5.56 AR with a Ballistic Advantage (~MOA) barrel and an SWFA fixed 6x scope and he's like a machine with it. We called in a double on our first stand of the day, and he dropped both - first one at 30 yards, second at 100+ as it stopped to look back. He dropped another on our last stand of the day at about 40 yards.

As long as you have a good field of view through your optic and a rifle that can hold ~MOA, you'll do just fine. You don't need a precision rifle unless you're hunting at very long ranges, and at that point, I'd suggest using your 6 Creed bolt action.

the problem is i will use the one with a scope for daytime use getting a new one will be used for the halo lr thats on the creed.

I have a Daniel Defense mk12 Tornado ceracote.(yes I know its not a "real" mk12) VERY low round count. Sounds like what you would like. .223....Research it and then PM if your interested.
Hey afv338 - I can vouch for tuckybill 100% - a GREAT guy to deal with and his guns are as close to "as new" as you will ever find! Get in touch with him about that DD mk12, you definitely will not regret doing so!