• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ar308 precision reloading

Quietguy88

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2021
USA
Is anyone doing neck tension by bushings? How endeavored are you all with reloading?

18" criterion barrel, m118 chamber. Running 175-180gr bullets.

Looking to squeeze all the accuracy I can from this. Out to 800m. Doubt I will ever fire to 1000.

Was thinking about neck turning, setting tension, sorting for internal volume of case and uniforming primer pockets. Waste of energy?

Thank you.

Criterion barrels shooting 800 yards or less is going to be easily obtainable.

I'm going to not give you what I run for neck tension because it may be wrong for you,but yes I do it as well as crimping.
Remember bad shit happens with gas guns if you don't get it right.
#34 primers,175 gr SMKH,with 4061 will get you there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quietguy88
43.0 of Varget and Berger 185 Juggs are working so far. 41.5 of H4895 and SMK 175s 0.75” groups. Seekins w/ Proof barrel.
I do not clean pockets but it’s once fired FGMM brass I got results with. Regardless still do not clean unless the hole is covered. No neck tension or crimping. It’s a newer rifle so if required I’ll crimp but haven’t had any issues yet seemingly.

No neck tension or crimping. It’s a newer rifle so if required I’ll crimp but haven’t had any issues yet seemingly.
Until it doesn't.
What does it being a new rifle have to do with neck tension for a gas gun?

I run 3k neck tension with lapua brass. Small base fl Redding die with .335 bushing. No crimp ever.

Appreciated, pusher. I was wondering how much tension would be needed for reliable function?

What gas system, spring and buffer weight? Is it a2, 7" or 7.75" buffer tube length? How heavy is bcg?

Thank you very, very much.

I’m running 20” proof, jp low mass bcg, silent captured spring, rifle length gas with slr sentry 7 adjustable gas block. A2 tube length with magpul prs gen 3. Very smooth, light recoil impulse. As a general rule for ME in my reloading practices I use 2k neck tension In my bolt guns and 3k for my gas guns. I small base fl size every time for gas guns. Jp case gauge will be your best friend.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Until it doesn't.
What does it being a new rifle have to do with neck tension for a gas gun?
Nothing. It has to do with whether I’ll crimp or not. If I notice bullets being seated as there chambered I’ll do it. If not there’s plenty of other people not crimping out there and still shooting accurately.
I’m not into extra steps and share my experience. It’s anecdotal just like all your stories. Statistically doesn’t mean shit but for some reason people still like listening. 🍻

Appreciated. How do you all like those low mass bcg's?

I will have to investigate 4061...

Currently, have a2 stock.. have thought about switching to ubr2 with a thick rubber pad.

What buffer and spring weights are you all using? I have been thinking ubr2, ar15 h3 buffer, a flat wire spring and using superlative arms gasblock. The moe rifle stock I have works ok, but when winter comes along... my LOP is not where I like it for standing or kneeling.

All this sort of plays in to the reloading questions.

So, would it be worthwhile to do the inside and outside neck turning business? I would like to get the most out of the build.

For hunting, three gun and maybe even a gasgun prs type match. So, not positive if the prs buttstock is best for me. Years ago, I was recommended a 10oz heavy buffer. Since then, have been thinking to reduce the reciprocating weight and dial up some precision loads. In my mind, less reciprocating weight with minimal gas should help keep the rifle settled?

I appreciate everyone. Thank you.

So, would it be worthwhile to do the inside and outside neck turning business? I would like to get the most out of the build.
I have a similar build, Criterion 20" medium match, A2 buttstock with standard 308 buffer /spring for shooting NRA tactical AR matches at 600yds. No neck turning nor crimping necessary, using IMR4064 and 175s.

Criterion barrels shooting 800 yards or less is going to be easily obtainable.

I'm going to not give you what I run for neck tension because it may be wrong for you,but yes I do it as well as crimping.
Remember bad shit happens with gas guns if you don't get it right.
#34 primers,175 gr SMKH,with 4061 will get you there.
How much 4064?

Get a good batch of brass and you will be good. I never went down the neck turning path. Maybe if I was competing in benchrest, but I have never felt the need to.

The ubr is a great stock, solid lock up and sturdy as a rock but heavy. You will notice the weight when carrying all day. My favorite adjustable stock is the mission first tactical minimalist stock. It has the tightest fit on a mil spec tube I have found.

6ABCFC87-990D-4098-B823-8FC6FDCC3EF3.jpeg

Good starting point for 175smk and IMR4064.

Reactions: clcustom1911
nothing is a waste of energy if it makes your set up more consistent.
i neck turn my 308 brass to .014. sometimes its a light skim to clean it up sometimes its worse. i do sort base to ogive on gives batches or lots. I see alot of variance in this. i havent seen the need for small base dies yet and doubt i ever will. .003 is about average for my neck tension. find the dead spot with powder charge and fine tune with seating depth. play with recipes to find what works best.

Thank you all very much, you fine gents.

Pusher, how enduring are those mft stocks? I actually had looked at their extreme duty or.. whatever is called.. for large frame builds. I am trending towards the ubr for constant cheekweld primarily.

Far as the neck turning goes.. I have seen this 'IDOD neck turning machine. Costs more than my first truck did.. but it seems to make sense. I was wondering if any merit could be found with such efforts. Setting all the necks same, case lengths same and sorting for internal volume.

Now.. this said, I had planned on using starline brass. Because it is not lapua/adg/alpha/peterson price. Also, because my recovery rate may be less than ideal for the cost of those finer cases.

Planned on annealing also.

Thank you for the load card. I will put that to good use. How do the 175 otm's and juggernauts from berger compare to the matchkings?

Appreciate all of you, very very much.

Any and all guidance is largely taken. Experience, insight. All that.

I run Lake City Brass. Typically full length resize, then run through a mandrel to set up neck tension at .002. Brass in a 308 gas gun gets wrecked after 4 or 5 firings for me so I don't bother going to crazy lengths apart from the basics.

No neck tension or crimping. It’s a newer rifle so if required I’ll crimp but haven’t had any issues yet seemingly.
No neck tension so explain because that's a pretty dangerous thing to go telling people

No neck tension so explain because that's a pretty dangerous thing to go telling people
It’s self explanatory for anyone reading the thread. I don’t turn case necks or measure their tension. Just like millions of others around world. If you come on the internet and cherry pick posts to comment on or take home and utilize in your reloading practices then maybe it’s natural selection of you get harmed.
I’m not even sure what the hell you’re getting at but take that shit elsewhere.

You all annealing the brass? Using a primer pocket swage tool like the dillon? How much prep and sorting?

Appreciated very much.

Yes always anneal.

i prefer to cut the pocket vs swage it with the dillon. Ive found the mandrel on the dillon will actually push the primer shelf forward so if you uniform after it will cut a portion that it wouldnt if the dillon wasnt used.

i sort base to ogive.

Yes always anneal.

i prefer to cut the pocket vs swage it with the dillon. Ive found the mandrel on the dillon will actually push the primer shelf forward so if you uniform after it will cut a portion that it wouldnt if the dillon wasnt used.

i sort base to ogive.
What type of cutter do you use? I have seen the 21st century. Is it worth springing for a quality piece, or just a powered rcbs case prep machine good enough?

You all annealing the brass? Using a primer pocket swage tool like the dillon? How much prep and sorting?

Appreciated very much.
No on annealing. Again, tons of folks not doing it. Decide for yourself but it’s an extra time consuming step.
You usually only need to swage military/NATO brass that has a crimp on the primer pocket. You’ll know because the primer won’t seat in there when you try or you can see it too.