• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are 1903 S/N's traceable to specific units?

Didn't know you had a shop!
If you look at post #24 above, that's the rifle. Posts #25-27 have close ups of the receiver etc. If you need more or better, let me know. Thanks!

I don't have a shop. I have a shop I go to that has lots of 03's.

You need a rear sight collar, rear sight assembly and the stock.

Your 1.5 was put together from a spare receiver Taken from a box a Springfield and built into a rifle.

That late a number probably had a C stock, perhaps an ugly ass scant but I doubt it.

I'd buy the parts from the CMP classifieds off another enthusiast. Sarco and the like sometimes sell repro stuff advertised as original.

Fitting the sight base collar is a press fit assembly. They were also cross pinned but not every Smith reinstalls the pin as they don't seem to move after being pressed on.

You can buy a sight leaf assembly in the same manner. Yours would probably have had a Springfield leaf with no top volley notch. Springfield also polished the scale on NM rifles.

Barrel looks to need a refinish. Check its throat and muzzle readings. If I was to buy a replacement I'd like to try the White Oak Armory offering. They look beautiful.

A good pre war C stock will cost you. Lately the ones I see for sale are pretty beat. Consider one of the Minnelli repros, Italian walnut. The CMP repros would be next. All others may be more trouble than they are worth.

You would like to get a heavy checkered butt plate expect to spend a couple hundred bucks. You can get a plate off a Springfield twenty two but it won't have a cleaning compartment door. Probably a hundread fifty for one of those.

Reactions: earthquake
While cleaning both rifles tonight, I noticed that the follower on the 407xxxx rifle has been filed down in that back so you can cycle it empty like modern bolt guns. It doesn't block the bolt from going forward on an empty magazine like the 152xxxx rifle does.

I also took the rear scope mount off and confirmed it's a Remington 03a3.

Also, the 152 has a 4-lb trigger and the 407 scoped rifle has a 2 3/4-lb trigger.

While cleaning both rifles tonight, I noticed that the follower on the 407xxxx rifle has been filed down in that back so you can cycle it empty like modern bolt guns. It doesn't block the bolt from going forward on an empty magazine like the 152xxxx rifle does.

I also took the rear scope mount off and confirmed it's a Remington 03a3.

What position is the magazine cut off in.

Check the little lever on the left side marked "ON" and "OFF".

If it is "ON" the bolt comes all the way back and will usually catch on an empty follower.

If it is "OFF" the bolt cant come far enough back to allow a round to feed from the magazine and you have to single load.

If its in the middle you can remove the bolt from the action.

It would have originally had what is referred to as a Pre War C stock. They are a C stock that has a thinner pistol grip area than the more common Keystone C stocks. They were made by Springfield Armory.

I don't think anyone repo's those, but I could be wrong. I don't know a ton about the repo wood. Pre war C's are sort of expensive for a decent one.

Originally the stock would have had the SA SPG cartcouhe. A S and O stamped in the mag cutoff, and then the serial number stamped on the underside area in front of the lower sling swivel.

Back to Grandma's last weekend. Found what I think are all/most(?) of the original hardware. Any ideas? Sorry for the lousy photo!

Back to Grandma's last weekend. Found what I think are all/most(?) of the original hardware. Any ideas? Sorry for the lousy photo!

I see some nice parts there.

Id like that rear sight base with lightening cuts if you want to let it go.

The sights are neat also.

Good stuff.

There are some M1917 parts in there as well...a front sight assembly,rear sight and rear sight spring, upper band and magazine box.

There are some M1917 parts in there as well...a front sight assembly,rear sight and rear sight spring, upper band and magazine box.

Ok. He had/has a 1917 also that's been sporterized for match shooting. I was messing with it last weekend too. That cock-on-close feature takes some getting used to!