• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are Air rifles the pacifier or alternative to ammo availability & cost?

No problem man I will get you some pics here in the next couple of days.

That is why I got back into the air rifle thing kihnspiracy. I have had quite a few of them over the years, but keep selling them as I didn't shoot them much. But with the ammo as it is, and being able to pick up 500 rounds for $15 ( match pellets ) I can't beat that deal. And with the accuracy these things put out, they are great little hunting rifles.

More video with the same rifle at 75 and 100 yards. Sorry I had to walk back and forth to the rifle and turn the camera on and off. I took a sighter on the spinner in both videos.

Since there's no specific airgun forum yet... lets keep this one going.

Click on the pic to start each video.

Well I don't own a air rifle, but I do have a Crosman 1377 pistol that I have been modifying and getting great accuracy from. Air pistols are my pacifier to real pistols...F'in NY....

Mods - Steel breech, LPA MIM rear sight, Aluminum barrel band w/fiber optic sight, Stainless safety, Extended bolt with bigger bolt handle.
I also have a 911 style trigger and some nice wooden grips on order.

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

yeah i found that to be a good site along with "airgun advice" and "network 54"

looks as if a seperate forum here isn't going to happen, it's been a month since i the PM sent requesting if it could be done on the basis of the poll results. you guys are welcome to send your own PMs if you wish, i gave it a shot.

yeah i found that to be a good site along with "airgun advice" and "network 54"

looks as if a seperate forum here isn't going to happen, it's been a month since i the PM sent requesting if it could be done on the basis of the poll results. you guys are welcome to send your own PMs if you wish, i gave it a shot.

Allot of the same people are on both... both are good, but the one I posted is much more active from what I've seen.

If you join, join with the same name so I know who you are... :)

still TOP PREDATOR, no posts at any of those other sites, just soakin up info there for the time being.

i treaded the "tactical precision marksman" point of view on air rifles from here first, from folks "i know" before i get more involved with this whole new obsession.

never thought this thread would get this much activity.

update on the venom, getting a different scope with AO as i believe the parallax that came with it is giving me issues at 50yards. going with the centerpoint 4-16 (older model with the nicer turrets). i like to dial elevation, but there is just too much dialing to get to 50yds with a 25 yard zero i get 7" of drop, so going to use the mildots as holdover points. luckily, with the centerpoint having the extra dots, i shouldn't run out of aiming points, as long as i keep it a a certain magnification that should work out well. plus it's the same scope i have on my silhouette hunter division .22lr, will help with practicing for that. should be here in a few days.

i got to go to bass pro last week, handle a venom in synthetic. still has some weight to it with the plastic, and it didn't look too cheezy in person. actually seemed more comfortable to me than the wooden stocked version i got.

also got to handle a gamo varmint hunter HP, feels very similar to a mcmillian or manners grip angle and cheek weld.

Take a look at the Air Arms line out of the UK and also the Condor. Airguns are amazing and drastically underrated. They are capable of doing most things that people do with a .22 and are much cheaper and quieter to shoot. You would be very impressed with the pneumatic airguns.

Been working on either a 13xx or a 22xx rifle to make my little backpack hunter. With a removable stock, and the ability to take out small critters out to 50 yards max. Should make for a fun little .22 :D

Went to my brother's house last night to remove some rabbits that have been digging under his shed, thus hurting the foundation..... Though the rabbits stayed underground in fear of my MRod, I did end up putting out some targets to show my brother what I like about my air rifle.... After he shot some cans at 50 yards he ran into the shed and came out with some 1/2" wide carpenter pencils, saying "let's see if you can hit these!"

He set 4 out and I proceeded to take out the first two, and gave him the rifle.... After a few misses, he got'em.

The story ends with him saying he's getting one of these asap. After shooting I explained that not only are you able to shoot these in your back yard, they're real pellet stackers, but I didn't need to clean my barrel after shooting.... SOLD!

Just thought I'd share.

Have a great spring!

Another page out of the Newbie airgunner 101 book - after a day or so of getting a better scope on the nitro venom, i was getting frustrated not being able to keep good groups.

was shooting bipod and rear bag, prone. the mind set of "no one is going to tell me you can't shoot one of these like that" kept me from getting sighted in. then i figured i'd take a few shots off hand as this is primarily a way for me to practice silhouette shooting, which my stance is more or less a modified Artillery hold.

there it is, much better groups within or around an inch at 30 yds, doing 40 and 50 later. 10 and 20 yds are one jagged hole up to 1/2".

point is, if your a newbie to this like me, save yourself some time and pellets and listen to what folks tell you up front, and get out of the firestick mindset. the forward and rearward recoil will F with your mind.

are PCP's just as sensitive, or are they more conductive to bipod shooting?

PCP's are like a 22lr off a bipod.

The biggest difference being wind drift and follow through with airguns. Like in my videos, some of those shot's I was using up to 1.5 mils of wind and others aiming dead on. Almost like comparing a 243 to a 30-30 in the wind when comparing 22lr to air rifle.

Last edited:
Another page out of the Newbie airgunner 101 book - after a day or so of getting a better scope on the nitro venom, i was getting frustrated not being able to keep good groups.

was shooting bipod and rear bag, prone. the mind set of "no one is going to tell me you can't shoot one of these like that" kept me from getting sighted in. then i figured i'd take a few shots off hand as this is primarily a way for me to practice silhouette shooting, which my stance is more or less a modified Artillery hold.

there it is, much better groups within or around an inch at 30 yds, doing 40 and 50 later. 10 and 20 yds are one jagged hole up to 1/2".

point is, if your a newbie to this like me, save yourself some time and pellets and listen to what folks tell you up front, and get out of the firestick mindset. the forward and rearward recoil will F with your mind.

are PCP's just as sensitive, or are they more conductive to bipod shooting?

Hey Top Predator! Its been fun to read along with your progress. This post had me smiling in particular. I think I recall somebody on page 1 of this thread telling you: "spring guns have some crazy harmonic issues and generally don't shoot well from a bi-pod or any solid rest"... -Just giving you a hard time ...all in good fun...since you know I've been down that same road right along with you. Its almost an air gun right of passage. If you want to shoot groups from a rest with your spring gun, try using a front sand-bag, but keep your hand between the gun and the sand-bag (gun in your palm just like you're shooting off-hand, back of your hand on the bag). Sounds crazy but I've seen it work. Most springers prefer a light hold and contact with your hand/shoulder/cheek and nothing else...

This recoil area is where the PCP's really stand-out. No weird recoil issues with the PCP's. Just like Steve123 says, the PCP's are happy to be shot from bags or bi-pod or a fence post, etc... Some have such a smooth/calm/dead firing cycle that you don't lose your sight picture when you fire. PCP's are really fun when you can watch exactly what your shot is doing through your scope. You can actually watch the wind bending your shots sometimes...

I tried to steer you towards some tack-drivers! I might keep my eye on the AG classifieds for another smokin' deal and see if I can tempt you one more time... haha...

Kind regards,

ScottyD

EDIT: csdilligaf's pics below inspired me to throw in another AG pic as well:

Last edited:
Airguns definitly fill a void for me. I wish I could shoot centerfire and rimfire more but work way to much to make the trip out to the desert to shoot. I build these and others and the accuracy is something else. I can shoot daily on my property out the shop door as my machines are running. I dont know about saving money as this too can be expensive. But it sure is nice shoot at a moments notice right here. And I see some of the Yellowforum guys have found this thread before me. Man you guys get around

csdilligaf! How's it going? Sweeeeeet pic! --->The MIGHTY SUMO! (You guys: he built that bad-boy in the pic ground up! -Awesome piece of work!) I wanted to ask if you did pick up a SWFA scope for your AG and did it work out OK for you? ("Scott in CO" here from the yellow).

-ScottyD

Been watching that build as well ;)

The PCP side of things will blow your minds! It is really fun to watch the pellet come up into the scope and into your targets. Really makes adjusting the scope so much easier :D

I have another of the Big Sumo Benchrest airgun going out this week. I love airguns. Ever since getting brand new FWB 124 when I was a kid and hunted rabbit, squirrel, duck, dove, partridge and anything else that was unlucky enough to be with in about 60 yards. Now these PCP have taken it to a new level. I am a little reluctant to enter into the .30 cal stuff. Cheap ammo was a big plus and the .30 cal is not cheap.
And Scott, Yes I did get the SFWA 16X and very happy so far. I will do more shooting this weekend and really run it through the paces. I want to see how well it tracks. And was surprised to see that it was made in Japan! Great scope for $299

I have another of the Big Sumo Benchrest airgun going out this week. I love airguns. Ever since getting brand new FWB 124 when I was a kid and hunted rabbit, squirrel, duck, dove, partridge and anything else that was unlucky enough to be with in about 60 yards. Now these PCP have taken it to a new level. I am a little reluctant to enter into the .30 cal stuff. Cheap ammo was a big plus and the .30 cal is not cheap.
And Scott, Yes I did get the SFWA 16X and very happy so far. I will do more shooting this weekend and really run it through the paces. I want to see how well it tracks. And was surprised to see that it was made in Japan! Great scope for $299

Cool. I've only looked through the 10x and 12x versions so far. I thought you might go for the 20x and I wasn't ready to vouch for the glass on the 20x model. I'm going order a 16x for my airwolf this week. Glad to hear the 16x is looking good to you. I hear some guys say they don't like the eye relief on those scopes... But I've been very happy with mine. -And, I'm with you: as a lefty I find that rear focus is much better for us southpaws than a standard side-focus knob...
My .25 has plenty of power and is kind of over-kill for shooting around my place. I think I'm safe from being tempted to try the new .30's for now. I hear ya -the .30 ammo is getting up towards rimfire prices...

Man that Benchrest rifle is over the top! Please share some specifics about it and the other rifle.

I lived in Germany when I was 9-11 years old, and had the privilege of getting a Diana springer for my birthday, ruined me as well. I'm surprised I haven't been struck by lightning because of all the critters I used to shoot, LOL. Always loved pellet guns after that.

I was tempted to get one of those 30's too, but nah, my rimfires suffice.

FYI, SWFA came out with a 3-15 FFP/mil/mil that has minimum 6 meter parallax, the knob is on the wrong side for you guys though. I just sold a scope and am thinking of getting one, maybe even another air rifle to put it on.

Nice rifle Scotty! Is it the .25?

I had a old .22 cal Theoben once. I liked the quality and solid feel it had.

Hey Steve! I've had 4 different barrels on my rapid so far. One thing I like about the rapids is how easy it is to change calibers. That pic was a 16" .22 barrel. I've currently got a 21" .20 cal barrel on there and its just silly accurate so that's the one I'm sticking with. I've had great luck with my rapids. -Super reliable- POI always right where I expect it to be every time I pick it up...

My .25 is the FX elite -regulated and about 100 shots per fill at 43fpe. The .25 whacks my 200yd steel with authority compared to the smaller calibers. I'm sure I could have fun with a .30 but I need to resist. My new 6.5cm and my recent addiction to these long range precision matches has not been kind to my bank account! I just sold a leupold 6.5-20 EFR and was real tempted to try that new 5-15 swfa, but I need to tighten up on the budget a little bit. I wonder, what would you go with if you were going to pick up a new air gun these days? Anything new on the market that has your interest? On a side note, I also wonder: is there ever a weekend with both an FT match and a long range match in the same weekend in the Flagstaff area? -That would definitely be worth the drive for me.

Hey Steve! I've had 4 different barrels on my rapid so far. One thing I like about the rapids is how easy it is to change calibers. That pic was a 16" .22 barrel. I've currently got a 21" .20 cal barrel on there and its just silly accurate so that's the one I'm sticking with. I've had great luck with my rapids. -Super reliable- POI always right where I expect it to be every time I pick it up...

My .25 is the FX elite -regulated and about 100 shots per fill at 43fpe. The .25 whacks my 200yd steel with authority compared to the smaller calibers. I'm sure I could have fun with a .30 but I need to resist. My new 6.5cm and my recent addiction to these long range precision matches has not been kind to my bank account! I just sold a leupold 6.5-20 EFR and was real tempted to try that new 5-15 swfa, but I need to tighten up on the budget a little bit. I wonder, what would you go with if you were going to pick up a new air gun these days? Anything new on the market that has your interest? On a side note, I also wonder: is there ever a weekend with both an FT match and a long range match in the same weekend in the Flagstaff area? -That would definitely be worth the drive for me.

What weight/brand .25 pellet are you shooting Scotty? 200Y is pretty far off! I had a Career carbine in 25 once also, I tried 200Y with it but the rifle wasn't very accurate and each shot dropped lower and lower, LOL. My FX Royale in the videos peters out at about 135Y. Do you know any smiths that work on Royales? I want to get the power bumped up, I'm afraid to mess with it myself because it's the model with the 3 power level adjustment on it, plus half the time I attempt smithing I screw things up, LOL.

I haven't been keeping up with the latest PCP's so I don't know what I'd like to get. One thought was to try a used 6 ftlb recoilless or pneumatic olympic match rifle. A few years ago for the heck of it, I mounted a scope on my Morini pistol and had a lot of fun with it at that power level using 8.44 grainers, good challenge in the wind at 50-60Y! Any suggestions on which rifle to get?

Actually the FT match and the LRPS in Phoenix is on the same day. My tactical shooter friend goes down to the tactical match and I go to the FT match. I kinda steered away from tactical matches (more brain strain than I like) and went to the Field course matches like the AZPRC and SRM. We have IDPA pistol matches and 22lr matches locally at our new range too, so more often than not there's some type of match to go to on the weekends.

Bobby Corcoran and I are leaving to Larry's Temecula match next Wednesday. Call in sick and come with us, LOL. It's crazy all the different types of airguns that LD has and that other people bring! He usually has a swap meet, I'll be bringing a Daystate Sportsman and a Crossman 605 to trade with.

I too would rather be shooting center fire at distance, but time is the major factor. Travel to and from a suitable range is a time thief. A day is easily gone. I am a shooter and air guns help me shoot more. Like others have said, shooting in the back yard at a moments notice is fantastic. I can only get 75 yards, but it's good practice. I also really like me suppressed FVSRs, but they are not as accurate as my TX200. I also like airsoft gas pistols for FOF as well as introducing new/reluctant folks to shooting. Until I move to the country. Air guns help keep me smiling.

Howdy Steve. I'm shooting the 24.5g JSB's Kings @ 860-875fps. They seem to have about the same drop and wind drift as my 30fpe .22's (with 18g jsb's) -but the .25's just have a little more smack on target. Its nice to hear that steel RING! haha... For a power bump on your Royale, you could try Allen Z -but I've had my guns disappear for LONG periods of time when I send stuff to him. You've got AoA right there, I'd ask them about it. A longer barrel may be a good way to go (you may want to ask csdilligaf about his benchmark made air gun barrels). If its a non-regulated gun, you just need to tighten up the hammer spring a bit and see what you can get. How much higher would you like to go? If you've already got a .22 shooting the 18g JSB's somewhere around 875-900fps, I don't think you'd gain too much by cranking up the power. Are you hoping to get into a heavier pellet?

If you want a good 6 fpe olympic style rifle, there are some great deals to be had on used FWB 300's and RWS 75's that pop up on the classifieds once in a while. The FWB is a springer but they are awesome and can be picked up used for $400 to $500 in great shape. Woogie_man has a nice pic of one higher up this page. I grabbed a RWS 75 for $375 and it has been awesome -such a smooth shooter, its just like shooting a PCP. Its got an amazing 3 oz trigger. VERY challenging to shoot in the wind. If you want to spend a little more, the FWB 603's are awesome, but its a little tricky to get a scope mounted on those. After that you're looking at a PCP and spending over a grand. The AA MPR's look nice and come up used once in a while for $600-$800 and I think you can adjust them from ~6-12 fpe. AoA has a nice looking used FWB P500 that's been sitting on their shelf for quite a while now. There's a pic of it on their used page right now. I bet you could talk them down a bit on that since they know you, and they've been sitting on that gun for so long now...

We have a couple of fun 200 to 600yd "steel dog" matches here in the Denver area. We shoot prone w/ bi-pods at steel p-dog silhouettes and other steel popper type targets. At 500+yds those steel P-dogs are NOT easy to hit in the wind we get around here. I guess the most exotic match I've been to is the SRM in Raton so far (LOVE it down there!). I'm all for branching out and trying some true "tactical" matches. But no experience with that stuff so far. I'm hoping to get in on some of the action up in Douglas, WY one of these days. It would have been great to swing down to Flagstaff for FT AND a long range match but too bad it sounds like its not gonna work out...

Are you going to a FT match or BR at LD's? His FT matches have some targets well past 55yds, right? Sounds like a ton of fun. I was working in San Diego once and got to shoot a BR match with LD and his crew. Very good time. LD is a lefty and even let me borrow one of his USFT's for the match (he also let me shoot his lefty whiscombe!!!). I remember I came in 3rd right behind LD and Tim McMurray that day. He's got a great shooting spot out there. I'd LOVE to test a few of my guns in his 50yd tunnel! Have a good time out there. I wish I could join you!

Howdy Steve. I'm shooting the 24.5g JSB's Kings @ 860-875fps. They seem to have about the same drop and wind drift as my 30fpe .22's (with 18g jsb's) -but the .25's just have a little more smack on target. Its nice to hear that steel RING! haha... For a power bump on your Royale, you could try Allen Z -but I've had my guns disappear for LONG periods of time when I send stuff to him. You've got AoA right there, I'd ask them about it. A longer barrel may be a good way to go (you may want to ask csdilligaf about his benchmark made air gun barrels). If its a non-regulated gun, you just need to tighten up the hammer spring a bit and see what you can get. How much higher would you like to go? If you've already got a .22 shooting the 18g JSB's somewhere around 875-900fps, I don't think you'd gain too much by cranking up the power. Are you hoping to get into a heavier pellet?

If you want a good 6 fpe olympic style rifle, there are some great deals to be had on used FWB 300's and RWS 75's that pop up on the classifieds once in a while. The FWB is a springer but they are awesome and can be picked up used for $400 to $500 in great shape. Woogie_man has a nice pic of one higher up this page. I grabbed a RWS 75 for $375 and it has been awesome -such a smooth shooter, its just like shooting a PCP. Its got an amazing 3 oz trigger. VERY challenging to shoot in the wind. If you want to spend a little more, the FWB 603's are awesome, but its a little tricky to get a scope mounted on those. After that you're looking at a PCP and spending over a grand. The AA MPR's look nice and come up used once in a while for $600-$800 and I think you can adjust them from ~6-12 fpe. AoA has a nice looking used FWB P500 that's been sitting on their shelf for quite a while now. There's a pic of it on their used page right now. I bet you could talk them down a bit on that since they know you, and they've been sitting on that gun for so long now...

We have a couple of fun 200 to 600yd "steel dog" matches here in the Denver area. We shoot prone w/ bi-pods at steel p-dog silhouettes and other steel popper type targets. At 500+yds those steel P-dogs are NOT easy to hit in the wind we get around here. I guess the most exotic match I've been to is the SRM in Raton so far (LOVE it down there!). I'm all for branching out and trying some true "tactical" matches. But no experience with that stuff so far. I'm hoping to get in on some of the action up in Douglas, WY one of these days. It would have been great to swing down to Flagstaff for FT AND a long range match but too bad it sounds like its not gonna work out...

Are you going to a FT match or BR at LD's? His FT matches have some targets well past 55yds, right? Sounds like a ton of fun. I was working in San Diego once and got to shoot a BR match with LD and his crew. Very good time. LD is a lefty and even let me borrow one of his USFT's for the match (he also let me shoot his lefty whiscombe!!!). I remember I came in 3rd right behind LD and Tim McMurray that day. He's got a great shooting spot out there. I'd LOVE to test a few of my guns in his 50yd tunnel! Have a good time out there. I wish I could join you!

I'm not exactly sure what another 50 fps or 960 fps and using some JSB 18 grainers will accomplish compared to what I'm using now with the 15.9's ??? 150Y is really stretching it for my gun, the pellets become erratic and loose their accuracy by then. If I could get 175Y and decent accuracy I'd be plenty happy. Maybe 40 ftlbs would do it ???

Thanks for the suggestions on the Olympic rifle. I'll have to call Robert and see what he can do for me and look up the RWS 75 and FWB 603. Recoilless is what I'm after this time, similar to the Wiscombs

I'm acquainted with some of those Colorado guys, 9H, Tom2dogs, Hoser, Mike that runs the SRM and a few others. I bet you've met some of them.

Yes this is a FT match, with those long shots he's famous for. I'm the guy that was shooting with Vhepa Miller, Doug Millers wife (Asian decent), when she couldn't pronounce terrorist which was the target at 80Y, when she said it, it came out as tourist instead, LOL. Just one of those funny things in life that happens. She did knock the tourist down once! I'll tell LD and Bobby you said Hi.

Last edited:
SNIP....."So if you're willing to spend a little more than the marauder price, I'd be happy to give you some recommendations!"
Scotty,
You willing to make a list of your recommendations and post or....?
Thanks,
Bill

Hey ScottyD,

I have some good news man!

I bought a FWB300 with a nice tiger striped walnut stock from Kevin Y, he has to ship it so hopefully I'll have it in my grubby hands next week, yahoo!!!- can't wait to try it.

Also I tried some JSB 18.1's, they were far superior to the 15.9's and did excellent at 150Y!

Larry "had" a rock squirrel problem, not anymore, LOL. We had a great time at the match as well.

Hey ScottyD,

I bought a FWB300 with a nice tiger striped walnut stock from Kevin Y, he has to ship it so hopefully I'll have it in my grubby hands next week, yahoo!!!- can't wait to try it.

Also I tried some JSB 18.1's, they were far superior to the 15.9's and did excellent at 150Y!

Larry "had" a rock squirrel problem, not anymore, LOL. We had a great time at the match as well.

Yeah, those 15.9's are garbage... I got a tin and 50% of the skirts are deformed... I didn't even bother shooting many. The 18's have a better skirt that won't deform easily.

Hey ScottyD,

Hey Steve! Sounds like you had a great time out at LD's -I'm jealous! Congrats on scoring the FWB300! Those rifles are really well build and a ton of fun to shoot. Give us some pics (tiger stripe walnut! -nice!) and a report when you get it! Also glad to hear you've got the 18.1's shooting well for you. Yeah, I was also surprised at the difference in long range performance between the 15.9's and the 18.1's in my guns. I didn't think the extra couple grains would make much difference until I started shooting them. Great to hear you're seeing the same thing!

-Scott

Scotty,
You willing to make a list of your recommendations and post or....?
Thanks,
Bill

Hi Tornado,

No problem! A few of the top brands I recommend: Air Arms, FX, Daystate, and Theoben -with all of these you can expect a well built, reliable gun, with out-standing accuracy. Of those mentioned, the best deals to come up on used guns are usually the Air Arms and FX. Keep an eye on the classifieds for those. Daystate and Theoben are usually more expensive and hold their value a little bit better (usually you're looking at over a grand for those -but well worth it if you can justify spending that kind of $$$).

If you tell me a little bit about what you'd want to do with an air gun (Top Predator was looking at something for 50-100yd shooting so most of my recommendations have been based on that so far). Also tell me how much you're willing to spend, and what kind of shooting you'll be doing: Mostly shooting groups from a rest or solid position? Or carrying the gun in the woods hunting all day, and shooting mostly off-hand? Give me a little info and we can really narrow your search down a bit.

Checking the classifieds today, one of the better deals I see is this Air Arms:

Classifieds Airgun(Kitching): F/S...AA S410 SL XTRA FAC with WALNUT THUMBHOLE STOCK

He just dropped the price to $800 for the gun with a beech stock, or $900 for gun with the walnut thumb-hole stock... There may be some more room for price negotiation there....

Are Air rifles the pacifier or alternative to ammo availability & cost?

Alternative, when you get a quality air rifle. Expensive to purchase, pays for itself in ammunition savings.
I use mine to warm up with at the range, to relearn what I forgot during the preceeding week.
Cheaper to send pellets, while refreshing muscle memory and breathing, than wasting expensive ammo.
My RWS 54 Air King in 22 cal. It's not a child's air rifle. You better be in shape to operate it.
with a 40 lb pull each time you cock it, after a couple hours of shooting, it's like shifting a ton and a half of weights
in 40 lb increments. It'll get your attention. Don't bother getting one if you have a bad shoulder or rotator cuff.
You won't be able to cycle the lever and if you do, it'll hurt. Here's mine with a Gamo 3-9x40.

rws54airking.JPG

Rifle alone weighs 10.2 lbs, no sling studs as it's a bench gun, too heavy for comfortable carry.
The Gamo is being replaced...last trip to the range, the Air King ate the internals.

SNIP...

If you tell me a little bit about what you'd want to do with an air gun (Top Predator was looking at something for 50-100yd shooting so most of my recommendations have been based on that so far). Also tell me how much you're willing to spend, and what kind of shooting you'll be doing: Mostly shooting groups from a rest or solid position? Or carrying the gun in the woods hunting all day, and shooting mostly off-hand? Give me a little info and we can really narrow your search down a bit.
Scotty,
Thanks for the link - I will follow up on that.
For me , it will primarily be used as a "practice" rifle - backyard and at the range - saving 308 ammo. Occasional varmint dispatch may happen as well. No benchrest, but combination of bipod and off hand shooting.
For my wife - just something to plink with. Has to be ambidextrious as one RH and one LH shooter. Don't want to be ridiculous, but cost is not a concern. How does the HW100 compare to the ones that you mentioned?

Scotty,
Thanks for the link - I will follow up on that.
For me , it will primarily be used as a "practice" rifle - backyard and at the range - saving 308 ammo. Occasional varmint dispatch may happen as well. No benchrest, but combination of bipod and off hand shooting.
For my wife - just something to plink with. Has to be ambidextrious as one RH and one LH shooter. Don't want to be ridiculous, but cost is not a concern. How does the HW100 compare to the ones that you mentioned?

Hi Tornado,

If you don't mind me asking, how much room do you have in your backyard (how many yards? -that could affect your caliber choice: .177 may be a better choice for some backyards...). The HW100 is very well made -those guns have a reputation for outstanding build quality and attention to detail. They are regulated so you get very consistent velocity from shot to shot. Lots of good features -especially the new full shroud over the barrel (much quieter than the old version). But I have heard of some particularly finicky .22 barrels on the Hw100's and I've heard reports of guys having accuracy troubles with some of those guns. If you decide to go that route, make sure you go with a dealer who's willing to test fire and show you some groups before you buy (most of the airgun dealers seem willing to do that).
Some other ambidextrous stock options to consider: Fx has a few ambi models such as the synthetic stock cyclone, and also check out airgunsofarizona.com and the FX Typhoon 12 FT -on special for $795 right now. Fx also has a "Royale 200" with an ambi stock. For a little more $$$ the Daystate "air wolf" and "air ranger" have very nice ambi stocks as well...

regards,

ScottyD

If accuracy and trigger time are the main concern, I would highly recommend the daisy Avanti 853. Single stroke pump gives ~400 fps, which is plenty for punching paper. Accuracy is awesome.

Buy some pellets and start shooting.

I made a bullet trap years ago with 3/4" plywood to make a box and then filled the back of the box with plummers puddy. It is super quiet and doesn't disturb the neighbors or my wife.

Avanti Daisy Avanti 853. Air rifles - PyramydAir.com

Just emptied the third CO2 cartridge on my RWS 850. Was hoping to get my BSA Mil/Mil mounted and super box tested, but the wind and tornado warnings were too much. Do think it is time to step up to HPA now that I have a local friend with a tank. $120 plus stock hacking.

Hey Steve! Sounds like you had a great time out at LD's -I'm jealous! Congrats on scoring the FWB300! Those rifles are really well build and a ton of fun to shoot. Give us some pics (tiger stripe walnut! -nice!) and a report when you get it! Also glad to hear you've got the 18.1's shooting well for you. Yeah, I was also surprised at the difference in long range performance between the 15.9's and the 18.1's in my guns. I didn't think the extra couple grains would make much difference until I started shooting them. Great to hear you're seeing the same thing!

-Scott

Here she is Scott. Kevins pics posted, I didn't buy the scope but am using the match irons.

I've had a great time shooting it! Easy to cock, accurate, nice sights, great trigger, ergonomic and pretty.

Been practicing offhand every day since I received it and started to see some improvement this morning. I'm trying to clip a small dot the width of a pellet at 6 meters. Maybe 30% so far, another 60% just a barely missing, 10% oops.

I'd like to find a very slim post insert for the front sight or possibly a pointed insert. Know where I could find some?

[URL=http://s411.photobucket.com/user/shmonty03/media/20130522_220928_resized_11_zpsa1a9d500.jpg.html]
20130522_220947_resized1_zps77b49a48.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Heres some updated pics with the new wooden grips and the 1911 trigger. Love this pistol, very accurate.

photo-31.jpg

photo-30.jpg

Heres some updated pics with the new wooden grips and the 1911 trigger. Love this pistol, very accurate.

photo-31.jpg

photo-30.jpg

Big improvement compared to original! Looks great. 1911 trigger and tactical bolt knob, not a combo one see's often, Haha.

What velocity are you getting when it's pumped up all the way?

Sight inserts? Ebay has some, Champions Choice...I don't recall which inserts will work, I know some are interchangeable but can't recall which ones will work. Measure the diameter of your inserts with a set of calipers...in mm.

send an e-mail to this company...maybe they can find what you're looking for.
Feinwerkbau 16mm Front Sight Metal Inserts Post Type | eBay

Champions choice...didn't look at all the pages but they do carry inserts
Champion's Choice - Product Catalog - Sights and Accessories

For a airgun I suppose it is in a way but it only weighs 8 lbs and is easy to shoot in all positions.

BTW is my video working? A friend tried to access it and it didn't work for some reason.
I see why its beefy, looks like it runs from a compressed air tank right?

KBR97, love the laminate grips on that pistol of yours!

finally got to shoot a marauder yesterday...the PCP - no recoil and sooooo quiet, i asked the guy if i broke it. seriously i didn't relize it actually went off.

easy to charge with air from the tank, took like a second or two. though it looks kinda clumbsy and heavy, i was surprised of the balance it had and not as heavy as i thought it would be. didn't get to shoot groups, just a few pellets to get a feel for it.

so now i'm torn between the Mrod & tank then doing an airrifle silhouette match after my smallbore ones, or a 1903A3. CMP .

talk about being bipolar!

Last edited:
finally got to shoot a marauder yesterday...the PCP - no recoil and sooooo quiet, i asked the guy if i broke it. seriously i didn't relize it actually went off.

easy to charge with air from the tank, took like a second or two. though it looks kinda clumbsy and heavy, i was surprised of the balance it had and not as heavy as i thought it would be. didn't get to shoot groups, just a few pellets to get a feel for it.

so now i'm torn between the Mrod & tank then doing an airrifle silhouette match after my smallbore ones, or a 1903A3. CMP .

Get an MRod and tank... I can not confirm or deny 2 dead squirrels yesterday at 30 yards, and nobody was wise to anything.....

I know how you're feeling.

I'm torn between a new air rifle or a new scope. I could get the air rifle now but I'd have to get a cheaper scope in a few months and kiss the sweet scope idea goodbye. Just sold my Nightforce and a Horus Predator so I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket.

The air rifle won. I've been having way too much fun shooting the airguns lately. LD's FT shoot must of sparked up some fire in me.

Maybe next year for the scope, unless of course I sell some other stuff. BTW, anybody want to buy some Damascus art knives let me know?

You guys ever seen something you just had to have? Well it's on order and will be here next week. Might as well have some fun with this while it's on the way, anyone want to take a stab as to what's coming in? First clue is it's a PCP rifle very similar to a air pistol I own.