• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are primers safe

Smkngstv

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
edmonton alberta
I am reloading 223 for my ar ,I was told that the primers I have,and all that is available here right now are not safe to use in my ar or my Robinson armorment 223. They are federal small rifle match primers gm205m.is there something like slam fires I need to watch out for.

As long as their seated properly you'll be OK.
Let me guess, the guy that told you this offered to take the primer's off your hand's?

There is some truth to it.

Semi autos with floating firing pins are known to have slamfires. Ever clear your AR of a chambered round and noticed the primer has been dinged?

It is "best practice" to use NATO primers with a heavy duty cup for auto loaders, but in the real world its not really a problem.

Use them, seat them fully, and don't point the rifle at anything you don't want riddled with bullet holes.

I would clean the primer pockets and use a uniformer, which will let you seat them a thousand or 2 down further.

I would clean the primer pockets and use a uniformer, which will let you seat them a thousand or 2 down further.

Won't make a lick of difference.

The issue is the firing pin floats, and is completely free to bounce into the primer as the BCG goes into battery...and it does. The primer would have to be seated ~.065" deep to prevent this...deep enough the firing pin can never reach the primer.

The only way to know for sure is to load a batch and find out. I use CCI 400's, a lot of people say they are to soft for an AR. I haven't had any problems in my first 1000 rounds with them. Just single load the first few, then a couple of two round magazines after that

All of the slam fires I have seen were while shooting standing off hand portion of a HP match. Pointing the rifle at the ground and dropping the bolt greatly increases your risk of a slam fire. Point the rifle downrange when you drop the bolt and you are far less likely to have a slam fire.

I am reloading 223 for my ar ,I was told that the primers I have,and all that is available here right now are not safe to use in my ar or my Robinson armorment 223. They are federal small rifle match primers gm205m.is there something like slam fires I need to watch out for.

I've reloaded thousands of rounds of .223 / 5.56 MM, and CCI 400 Small Rifle Primers is all I use. I've never had a slam fire in any of my weapons. Either AR-15's or Ruger Mini 14's. Garand actions are more prone to slam fires than direct impingement AR-15's, or so it is said. Just make sure your primers are seated flush or slightly below the back of the case and you'll be fine. This is yet another Internet myth that keeps surfacing.

I hope they're safe, I've loaded and shot a heck of a lot of Fed SRM primers in my AR's for High Power.

You know, lots of things use to be safe until the internet came out and told us we can't do things we've been doing for years.