• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are SA tactical shotguns good for trap and skeet?

CanPopper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
Houston, TX
The Dad's Club at my kids' elementary school will be doing a trap shooting contest. So I'm thinking about getting a tactical shotgun for it which can also double up as a home defense gun. Something like the Remington Versa Max Tactical or the Mossbery 930 Special Purpose Blackwater.

However, these guns come with shorter barrels, 22" and 18" respectively. So I'm not sure if they would work for trap and skeet shooting.

Also of the two, which one has more after market parts and modability?

Any thoughts, experience, or ideas?

Re: Are SA tactical shotguns good for trap and skeet?

Well, the jack of all trades is the master of none. I would not get a tactical shotgun to shoot skeet or trap, though I'm sure it's been done. If I were in the market for a tactical shotgun, I'd get a Nighthawk and be done with it. For skeet or trap, I'd get a nice over/under. The tool should fit the job.

In years gone by I would have said that a tactical shotgun could not be used for clay shooting without at least a barrel change.
The Versa max has screw in chokes so it can be used for clay games, Rems website says it comes with an IC which is useful for skeet. I would probably recommend IM for trap. I think that the shorter barrel would be fine for an elementary school kid. Ultimately you have to make that decision, were it me I probably wouldn't look for one gun to fill such different roles.
A quick check online showed me about $1000 cost on the Versa-Max. You could pick up a used 1100 (preferably in 20G) for about $500 and another 1100 in 12G and extend the tube for another 500. That's probably the direction I'd head if I was you. If you bought both in 12G you have complete parts compatibility and a lot of aftermarket support...in comparison the Versa Max is supposed to be a very light recoiling SA.
Also in the $1000 range you'd have to give up home defense but you can get a Beretta 686 Ultra Light or Essential, and even into Sporting range. Which would be absolutely the right gun for Trap and Skeet.

Last year i purchased a remington 870 express. It came with a 20" barrel for slugs and buckshot and a 26" barrel for hunting/skeet. All together, i want to say the cost was about 650... but, the 870 is a work horse, i completely expect that my children/grandchildren will be shooting this exact shotgun long after i'm gone. (for perspective, my only child is 7 right now). I cannot recommend this shotgun enough. It's not a super pricey custom piece of art, but, for the average hunter/recreational shooter, it's beyond enough. It's much higher quality than the mossy 500 range without the plastic parts.

But, to answer your question more directly, a tactical shotgun will not be good for skeet. short barrel and no choke tube to control the spread. this is going to give you a fast wide spread. you want it to stay tighter and spread more slowly for skeet/bird hunting. I used to try to skeet shoot with my mossberg 590a1 and it was a joke at best.

If you do get the rem-870, get the express vs the super mag. the super magnums have been having trouble with the extractors. And, there will be little if any call for a 3-1/2" magnum... a 3" magnum will suffice in 9.999999/10 cases.

To answer the post above about 870s. I shot my battle's 870 Marine in a couple rounds IIRC I came out with a 22 and 23 I distinctly remember dropping a double at 4 because I forgot to pump. That's respectable out of a stubby tactical pump, I'm sure old Mel from our club could have run a solid 50 switching from his 410 wingmaster. Just because conventional wisdom says long barrels are ideal for clay games doesn't mean short barrels don't work and in skeet especially cylinder can be an acceptable choke considering the actual skeet choke (IC2) is between Cyl and IC. Trap is another kettle of fish.

that's pretty respectable. I haven't played around with the short barrel on mine yet, and i don't really know that much about choke tubes or skeet/trap shooting. Growing up i just shot at the clays we would trough with one of those orange hand held throwers. I figured it out for the most part, but i'm just now getting into bird hunting/shotgunning in general. I made the mistake of buying a 590a1 as a general use shotty, that one in my oppinion is not at all cut out for any kind of range... not with bird shot anyway.

Heavier gas guns with longer (28-30") barrels works best for me for Clays, be it skeet, sporting clays or trap. Love my Beretta 391 Sporting. But I can shoot my 3-Gun stick, a 22" Benelli M1-S90 almost as well for skeet or casual 5 Stand. For trap or sporting the 30" 391 has a significant advantage.

I'm an A class Sporting Clays shooter if that matters and did competitive skeet for many years. Trap (for me) is a way to get some easy trigger time.

If you want to shoot clays (very addictive, btw), I would suggest a clays gun or maybe a hunting model - but a 22" or so tactical(ish) gun, vent rib preferred, will get you to the dance. Any 18" will look way out of place on a trap/skeet/sporting range, if that matters.

Whatever you decide, take it to the pattern board (or use paper) and see if it shoots where you look.

Good feedback guys. Thanks!

So how easy would it be to swap barrels on a semi auto shotgun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good feedback guys. Thanks!

So how easy would it be to swap barrels on a semi auto shotgun? </div></div>
On MOST Semis.
1.Remove Foreend
2.Pull Off Barrel
3.Push on New Barrel
4.Install Foreend

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heavier gas guns with longer (28-30") barrels works best for me for Clays, be it skeet, sporting clays or trap. Love my Beretta 391 Sporting. But I can shoot my 3-Gun stick, a 22" Benelli M1-S90 almost as well for skeet or casual 5 Stand. For trap or sporting the 30" 391 has a significant advantage.

I'm an A class Sporting Clays shooter if that matters and did competitive skeet for many years. Trap (for me) is a way to get some easy trigger time.

If you want to shoot clays (very addictive, btw), I would suggest a clays gun or maybe a hunting model - but a 22" or so tactical(ish) gun, vent rib preferred, will get you to the dance. Any 18" will look way out of place on a trap/skeet/sporting range, if that matters.

Whatever you decide, take it to the pattern board (or use paper) and see if it shoots where you look. </div></div>

I agree...

However, just for the occasional fun round a tactical shotgun will work. Tighter choke on trap and loose choke for skeet. Just for kicks I shot a round of skeet with my buddies tactical 870 and it was crushing skeet targets. I shot probably 5 birds lower than I normally would just because it had been years since I had shot a pump gun.

If you shoot them and fall in love I too recommend a nice over/under (up to a point you get what you pay for there) or a nice 390/391/3901 is the most affortable best clays gun going. On a sporting clays course you will see 5-1 Beretta auto to everything else...there is a real good reason for that.

Good luck and have fun.

I shoot a 590A1 at the skeet range once in a while. Not the best, but it works. And having a pump makes it a bit more challenging.

I'm the only one with a tactical in the club, everyone else got over unders or expensive semi auto's. They call me the "mankiller".

Check with your local club allowing tactical SGs in non-tac matches. An un-named range here in the D-FW area does not allow tac SGs on their ranges (trap, skeet, clays). I don't recall the minimum barrel length.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...
So how easy would it be to swap barrels on a semi auto shotgun? </div></div>

Easy as pie, but the cost will make it a not so good option (assuming you can find one for a higher end gun). IMO, an AR carbine is best for tactical - a fancy ass 28-30" shotgun is better for clays.
laugh.gif

Or a 26" VR Benelli with screw in chokes will swing both ways - and an extended mag tube can be easily added for 3-Gun, etc. The Beretta gas guns do shoot softer, however.

I shoot trap all the time with my converted Saiga, works great. That being said, it probably doesn't even compare to a gun built for that purpose

<span style="color: #000099">It works, you just have to work harder to get it done.</span>
BHISEP17014.jpg

Ok, got the Versa Max today. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope more aftermarket "tactical" type parts will be available in the future.

In the meantime, I'm gonna shoot me some clays...

The 18" barrel 870 works just fine on the skeet field. Once you get the hang of it, the short barrel 870 is deadly on skeet doubles and especially so on station 8. Just shoot the normal 1200 fps rounds and remember to swing so that you have a shot string. Trap, not so much. You'd do much better with a 26" modified choke barrel.

Same thing applies to the Versa Max, just don't know what barrels are available.

I find skeet is almost easier with a tac gun than my OU, because the clays are fairly close and the big pattern helps. For trap and sporting clays, where the ranges are a little longer, a tac gun is nearly useless.

I'd say not really.

I made the mistake of taking a Benelli M1 Super 90 Tactical to a trap range once and damn near got laughed out of the place.
managed 12 birds out of 25.
Switched to an ancient Browning A5 20ga. and ran 24 out of 25. The A5 was probably worth 350.00 the Benelli was 1200.00

Having said that, tactical shotguns are way WAY more fun to shoot unless your are into clays, but I spose if you were you wouldn't have asked, huh?

Shotguns are by far some of the most versatile guns out there when it comes to defense but at the same time they can be so specialized. Most guys I know run different guns for trap and sporting clays. I shoot so little clays that I couldn't tell the difference but they sure can.
There are waterfoul specific guns, as well as dedicated turkey guns and on and on and on.