• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

His stuff was good no doubt and he made bottom metal for some oddball configurations but my opinion is that he was successful because he had customer service second to none and did installs for cheap/free. He just made it easy. I'm one of those guys that shouldn't mess around with tools too much when it comes to stuff like inletting that requires a certain touch.

Jeff was such a good dude. I lived in Tampa for a bit and actually drove down with rifle in hand and multiple occasions. Go in have a chat go get lunch come back and it was perfect. Customer service was top notch. I thought for a long time that it was surprising no one carried that on and bought his stuff from his wife, oh well. Sad loss for sure. I was actually waiting on a phone call from him and his wife returned his voicemails and told me of the news. He did quite a bit for the shooting community around there.

I think a couple if people have tried to get rights and have been told no.
I think the PTG is ugly but I'm going to call and see if they are ACTUALLY in stock before I order. If it run I will use it happily.

Seeing all the recent activity on this thread made me decide to get some range time in with my SPR. I forgot how much I like this gun.
6D333478-5A7C-4302-B7D4-B5B790219BAC.jpeg

FN SPR A5M XP 24" barrel
TBM Kit
Surefire SOCOM 7.62 Brake
Leupold Mark 5 5-25x56 scope with CCH reticle
Leupold Mark 4 Scope Rings
Flatline OPS Bubble Level
Harris 6-9 BRMS with KMW Pod Lock
Easily one of my most favourite rifles but I found it to be very picky with Projectiles.
All ELDM's shoot really well out of it but Berger and Optimus bullets didn't.
It has a long throat which doesn't help but I have it sorted now and it's a hammer.
Settled on 168gr ELD-Ms at 2730fps. I've had it to 800m but no further.
Only dramas I have with it are the FN Mags.
The rounds are "loose" in the magazine compared to Tikka and AI mags - this means they rattle and can actually shift in the mags which can cause feeding issues. Other than that, to me this is pretty much the perfect precision rifle.

20221016_192934.jpg

Anybody know which of these two bottom metals works with AICS style mags?

The first one linked above has a disclaimer at the bottom saying it comes with one of their mags and only that mag works. Any other AI mag will not work. That is kinda weird.

The second one doesn't mention any of that.

I know some of you guys here run a PTG bottom metal with AICS mags. Can you guys check which one it more closely resembles?

Thanks

@stello1001
I have the 2nd one listed in your post, which is the big mouth.

It runs flawless with standard AICS mags.

Although mine is on a G prefix Win 70.

Also the receiver was milled when I ran the CDI bottom metal prior to the PTG.

805B3B63-E10F-4373-8F2D-CF01C42852C3.jpeg
1580B99A-1E7D-4D9B-A0C5-94EC4524DB41.jpeg

Reactions: stello1001
Hey fellas does anyone have the 24" barrel contour data handy?

Or is the contour like the OG Laredo?

Got an itch I gotta get to scratchin'!

Anyone on here try out the ops2 titanium skeletonized rail? I’ve had a problem with rings clamping on my factory fn rail so I tried the ops2 rail and it’s doing the same thing. The rings I’m using are vortex branded seekins precision 34mm. I’ve tried 2 different sets on 2 different optics that work perfectly on my impact and r700’s. Bothe sets I’ve had for several years and know the rings are good. Is it possible the ops2 rail I got is bad? Thanks

Anyone on here try out the ops2 titanium skeletonized rail? I’ve had a problem with rings clamping on my factory fn rail so I tried the ops2 rail and it’s doing the same thing. The rings I’m using are vortex branded seekins precision 34mm. I’ve tried 2 different sets on 2 different optics that work perfectly on my impact and r700’s. Bothe sets I’ve had for several years and know the rings are good. Is it possible the ops2 rail I got is bad? Thanks
It’s probably the rings

Reactions: Two36
I use both the ops 2 rail and the factory near rail and I don’t have any issues. I have 4 of these guns.
Do you have any decent mark 4 rings or NF rings you could try?

Maybe. The rings I’m using work fine on 6 other rifles with rails from car manufacturers with no problem. Seems like cheap rings fit the fn rail ok but expensive quality rings do not. Lol
I use ARC rings on all of my SPR’s. Are your rings not tightening all the way?

I torqued the rings at 25 inch pounds and I can see the rail moving sideways maybe .02 to .03. I currently have a g2 viper in a set of 30mm vortex pmr rings and they clamp fine. Rifle shoots .3 to .4 moa with that setup all day. I also have a set of Warne mountain tech ultralight ring I tried and they will not tighten enough either. 2 sets of the cheap vortex pro series rings work fine. It’s weird.

I torqued the rings at 25 inch pounds and I can see the rail moving sideways maybe .02 to .03. I currently have a g2 viper in a set of 30mm vortex pmr rings and they clamp fine. Rifle shoots .3 to .4 moa with that setup all day. I also have a set of Warne mountain tech ultralight ring I tried and they will not tighten enough either. 2 sets of the cheap vortex pro series rings work fine. It’s weird.
What do you mean the rail moves? Is it compressing, or is it not tightened to the action?

Reactions: Simonsza1
I mean I can put the ring on the rail and torque the screws that clamp it to the rail at 25 inch pound and the ring moves on the rail.

Can you tighten it more, or are the rings out of spec? Honestly, you can diagnose this by measuring the rail, and then measure the rings (of the rail) total close.

I’ve measured the factory rail and it is good according to the milspec blueprint someone on here sent me. I thought maybe I missed something. That’s why I ordered the ops2 rail and it’s doing the same thing.

I’ve measured the factory rail and it is good according to the milspec blueprint someone on here sent me. I thought maybe I missed something. That’s why I ordered the ops2 rail and it’s doing the same thing.
Measure the inside of the ring attachment when rings fully tightened.

10-4. I measured all my ring sets a while back but I can’t remember what they measured. I’ll check later today and get back with you all.

I measured the width of my rings where they clamp on the rail with the screws tight and they measured within .005.

.005 of each other. One set measures.667 wide and the other set measures.672 wide. The .672 set clamp solidly on the rail. The .667 set do not.

Process of deduction. You measured the rail and its within spec. The rings don't fit tight on said rail. Leaving the 2 options of a) the rings are out of spec or 2- you didn't measure correctly. It's the only 2 options.

Reactions: Simonsza1
I’m 99% sure it’s the rails. Of that I have no doubt. The only dimension I can’t measure is the thickness of the rail on the 45 degree flats. I’m thinking they are too thin on both rails. Either way the rifle is a shooter. I’ll just be very limited on what rings I can use on it. Really disappointing in a 2000$ rifle.

Just reading this is making me feel stupid. I’m sorry bro but I’m shocked at how hard this seems to be for you to figure out. Also shocked at the fact your getting help at what seems to be your complete dysfunction.

• Haha
Reactions: beavis1971
22ADCFB2-1BC3-4CC3-8ADE-B6AEB7FFC534.jpeg

The dimension circled in red is what I was talking about in reference to the 45 degree flats. I don’t know how to check that dimension so I can’t confirm it is within spec on the factory rail or the ops2 I ordered.

Process of deduction. You measured the rail and its within spec. The rings don't fit tight on said rail. Leaving the 2 options of a) the rings are out of spec or 2- you didn't measure correctly. It's the only 2 options.
My assumption is I have either 2 sets of vortex precision rings that are bad. Or 2 picatinny rails that are bad. Both sets of rings work on every other rifle I own. So logic says the rails are bad. So back to my original question that I may not have asked clearly.

Has anyone else got a bad ops2 rail???

Does the rail measure .835 outside to outside? .617 across the narrow part on the bottom?
Never had a bad Ops2 rail. If I thought it was I would be on the phone with them. I have a badger rail.

Then it's something with the rings unless 2 separate companies manufactured the rails with the wrong angle. If the thickness of the rail is right, the width is right and the height is right. The number you can't check becomes irrelevant. It has to be right.

I would assume that. But if both rails are in spec then I have 2 sets are vortex precision rings and a set of warne mountain tech ultralight rings that are out of spec that just happen to work on every other rail I have.

I would assume that. But if both rails are in spec then I have 2 sets are vortex precision rings and a set of warne mountain tech ultralight rings that are out of spec that just happen to work on every other rail I have.
Interesting indeed.

Tell me about it. The more I try to figure it out the more retarded I feel. Might just sell it and buy another impact 737 and be done with it. Lol
I’ll give you $20 for it if it will help you out!

Does anyone have contact info for ops2? I bought the rail from Midwest gun works and it was in their close outs so it cannot be returned. Thought I may give ops2 a call and see what they say.

If your rings work on all your other rails, buy a replacement rail for your SPR. Turn the questionable ''out of spec" rail into an expensive paper weight, coffee table center piece, or the likes. Write it off as lesson learned.