• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

Not mine but I did grab one for the TBM. $100+ w/ ship/tax You'll be stuck w/ a useless stock though. I've got an A3 somewhere.

Would you mind letting me know (either by PM or here) what it took to get that A3? I want to get an idea what they are going for more less since im interested in one. Also, does that eBay seller have more hogues with TBM or was that a one time thing?
There was one hogue left on eBay and I’ll pm you about the A3

Not mine but I did grab one for the TBM. $100+ w/ ship/tax You'll be stuck w/ a useless stock though. I've got an A3 somewhere.

Do you have any hinged bottom metal, lol

Is anybody running an aftermarket scope base on their win70/FN SPR?

If so, is there one I should look into? I want a good high quality rail that will be true to spec and straight as an arrow. Is the original skeletonized base good, I just don't know who makes it but MWGW has it for about 50 bucks.
Maybe Nightforce???

I plan to put a top dollar optic on my SPR so my main concern is finding a base that is not "twisted" or out of spec.

ETA:

I must also add that I prefer a 20 MOA base that does not extend forward past the action. However, having a rail that is very high quality and true to spec, meaning not "twisted" is priority. If it means getting a rail that extends forward then I'll just buy it that way.

Reactions: Mooseknuckles

If so, is there one I should look into? I want a good high quality rail that will be true to spec and straight as an arrow. Is the original skeletonized base good, I just don't know who makes it but MWGW has it for about 50 bucks.
Maybe Nightforce???

I plan to put a top dollar optic on my SPR so my main concern is finding a base that is not "twisted" or out of spec.

ETA:

I must also add that I prefer a 20 MOA base that does not extend forward past the action. However, having a rail that is very high quality and true to spec, meaning not "twisted" is priority. If it means getting a rail that extends forward then I'll just buy it that way.
My SPR came with a Badger Ordnance 20moa rail on it. Definitely a high quality rail. That’s what I would take a look at.

Maybe Nightforce???

ETA:

I just received that OPS2 Titanium Base in the mail. I'm thinking that it was made by EGW, the only reason I'm speculating it they sell OPS2 scope rings on their site. I keep forgetting to call and ask them if it's thiers.

My SPR came stock with a Near Mfg steel rail. One of the best available then or now.

To my understanding the skeletonized titanium rail (in stock at MGW) only came with the SPR A3G for the FBI contract gun.

Last edited:
Reactions: USNavy06
I just found a 20 MOA win70 SA rail by Nightforce for $60 but let me go look up Near MFG. I have no idea what my rifle has as there is no marks or engraving on it to indicate what brand/manufacturer it is.

So I'm sure this is a long shot but could any body tell what mfg this is from. Before the paint job, it had absolutely no marking that I could tell. Not under the rail, not behind it, not on top of it.
IMG_20200610_173754_568.jpg
IMG_20200610_173735_932.jpg
IMG_20200610_173701_684.jpg
IMG_20200610_173632_037.jpg
IMG_20200610_173610_223.jpg

Good news is it’s a 20MOA, whatever it is. Not a Near — it would be engraved “NEAR” running from left to right on the top of the rail on the end near the bolt handle.

My SPR came stock with a Near Mfg steel rail. One of the best available then or now.

To my understanding the skeletonized titanium rail (in stock at MGW) only came with the SPR A3G for the FBI contract gun.

That would be awesome, since I'm trying to build a few of the old FBI sniper rifles. I started a pretty cool thread down in the vintage section. There's a lot of info on there about the Model 70 and 700's.

I had an A3G, had it sent off to GAP for a new barrel. It shot excellent when it came back. I ended up building a fast 6 on a 700 and it sat in the safe for several years and I sold it. Just recently I picked up another A3G because I missed not having one laying around. My son is getting old enough I may stick him behind it and let him ring some steel. I'd thought about pulling the heavy barrel and replacing with a carbon fiber tube in a fast twist 6. Ive also thought about leaving it alone and go play with the prs crowd.

Xdeano

There used to be a guy, on one of the old iterations of the hide, who was a wealth of information. I think his old screen name was ActionGuy and he is still here as Action Guy. His name is Ben Voss and he was/is employed by FN. He was captain of "Team Claw" which was FNs LR rifle team. https://www.ammoland.com/2011/04/fnh-usa-rifle-team-at-2011-snipers-hide-match/#axzz6P1M9em1m I don't know if Ben was assigned as liaison to this site but if a member had a problem with an SPR he would follow it through the shop. He was a great rep. for FN.

My experience with the SPR closely ties with finding this site. I was watching an SPR on an auction site that was described as new, possibly test fire only. I read some threads here, checked the F/S Exchange and pulled the trigger on the SPR. A week later this is what I got. An early model SPR whose condition was as described. It has an HS Precision stock in Winchester Marksman style. It has two sling studs on the forearm and one on the butt. It has an alloy bedding block. The barrel is just under 26" and chrome lined. The bottom metal was alloy and the action screws were slotted. It has a four-round drop magazine that is a flush mount. An empty magazine does not hold the bolt open. The trigger is the standard Mdl70 two lever. The serial # has the FG prefix and is in the10,XXX range. The entire serial number is stamped on the underside of the bolt. The left side of the barrel is stamped -FN HERSTAL SPECIAL POLICE RIFLE .308 WIN-. The right side is stamped -MADE BY U.S. REPEATING ARMS ARMS CO.- over -------IN NEW HAVEN, CT. U.S.A------. The action is marked with the FNH symbol followed by FN SPECIALL POLICE RIFLE. All stampings appear to have been done with different die sets. The address portion on the right side is extremely lightly struck.

The rifle did not come with a rail. I don't remember if the mount holes were filled with screws. I called Seekins and they said they had the correct rail. When the rail arrived there was a fitment problem. The hole spacing was correct under-lug that abuts the rear of the front bridge was fitted correctly but the rail did not lie flush on the bridges. I shimmed the rear bridge and moved on. A trigger spring was installed and the trigger readjusted. I can't remember whether the original scope was a 6.5-20X50 Viper or a 5-20 SSHD which is on it now. I bought an SPR action a few years later in the FN18,XXX and switched it's steel bottom metal and hex head action screws for the original alloy metal and slotted screws. That action had the same four round mag. I eventually added a Witt Machine slip on brake and that's how she sits. I did buy three sets of the A-4 stocks with DBM and a 5rd. and 10rd. mag. from MidWest. One of those stocks has the action and DBM in it and is used as a mule when I compare scopes. A couple of comments about the 18,XXX action. It came ith a Near rail. Across the lugs is stamped M20 over SPR over Near. On the underside of the at the front is a MADE IN CANADA. The attachment screws are Torx head. Behind the Special Police Rifle on the left side of the action is a two line address with FNH USA over FREDERICKSBURG VA. It appears to be laser engraved.

That's what I know but there is lot's more I don't know. Does prefix FG that is part of the serial # mean Federal Government? What serial # range had the M-240 barrels? When were the various models introduced? What about the warranty on the TACCORD rifles? etc. etc. etc. The list just goes on.

The original question was are SPR lovers extinct. The answer personally is a big NO. I have admired the the M70 action since the early '60s. The SPR action represents all the reasons the LA M70 was superior to the Mdl 700 Rem. My early SPR shoots FGMM 168s and 175s into a .5" average. It did the same with the old SW Ammunition with 175s in Lapua cases. About six or seven years ago a friend, in his early '60s, brought his son down to our place to shoot CF. He had already been down here to shoot Clays, CF revolver., RF rifle and RF revolver. The kid is smart and a natural athlete. He was about twenty-five when he came down to try CF rifle. We shot all the aforementioned stuff and then I brought out the SPR. I ran a boresnake through it and set up the rifle on a sixteen pound, four legged, round patio table on a gravel drive. Rifle was supported by a Harris in front and eared bag on the butt. Instructions were simple and consisted of NPA, relax into the gun, follow through and repeat. His first grp. of three was well under an inch and the second was well under .5". Next his dad shot. He was in his mid sixties is about 6'5" and weighed about 280#. It was interesting watching him fold this frame into a camp chair behind a crotch high patio table. He probably hadn't shot a CF since he got out of the service in the early 70's. Three shots in about a half inch. What comes next is they want to see me shoot. I do my very best to pass on the idea but of course they insist. I had already told them both that their performance was about the same as mine, which I found ridiculous considering that I had been shooting pretty constantly for half of a century. I see the first round hit and can't see the next two. I know the rifle and consider that they were all in the "same" hole but I dismiss that. A walk to the target and it's one hole of .152" CTC. My only comment was "that is better than I can normally do".

Do you sell a rifle like this? Of course not. Do you alter a rifle like this? Of course not. Now I'm in my early '70s and I need to dispose of a bunch of firearms before I reach personal extinction so our kids don't have to deal with them. The SPR will not be included in the disposal.

Has anyone tried the MDT ESS chassis for the M70 SPR?
I have a spare ESS for Tikka and consider buying a new ESS base for the SPR to get a DM solution for range use.
I have an old Win SPR with McMillan and hinged floorplate that I use for hunting.

Has anyone tried the MDT ESS chassis for the M70 SPR?
I have a spare ESS for Tikka and consider buying a new ESS base for the SPR to get a DM solution for range use.
I have an old Win SPR with McMillan and hinged floorplate that I use for hunting.

If you end up going the MDT route, would you sell me the stock, assuming it's an A3?

If you end up going the MDT route, would you sell me the stock, assuming it's an A3?
If you are still looking for the a3g stock they have one on gunbroker. I also picked one up brand new for 200 from midwestgunworks. Looks like they are sold out now though.

That's what I know but there is lot's more I don't know. Does prefix FG that is part of the serial # mean Federal Government? What serial # range had the M-240 barrels? When were the various models introduced?

From Action Guy in an old post:
“1st Generation SPRs are few and far between. Probably not more than 700 made. Made only a few years, back in the late 1990s. Serial numbers start with "FG", they featured an HS Precision stock, .308 Winchester, 4 round DBM magazine, aluminum bottom metal, 26" chrome lined barrel. Shipped without a rail. One model, no options. Good performers, well priced. Made in Columbia, SC with M-240 barrels.”

One of the things I always liked about the later SPRs is that they seemed to be influenced by the USMC M40 series in basic design (barrel profile, stock) but with pre-64 actions instead of 700s. The SPR A5 is extremely similar to an M40A5 but with a different (better, I think) action and I prefer the dbm system as well. My guess would be that’s because Action Guy and other FN product managers are former USMC but that’s just a guess.

If you are still looking for the a3g stock they have one on gunbroker. I also picked one up brand new for 200 from midwestgunworks. Looks like they are sold out now though.

Do you mind sharing a link? I know MWG had them at great prices but they will no longer be getting any more of them. I'll go over to gunbroker and see if maybe I can find it...

ETA:

So I think I found the stock. I just don't know what inlet it has for bottom metal. Also, I'm not so sure $425 is a good deal considering what they used to sell for.

Anyone care to have an opinion on whether an A3G stock is a good buy @ $425?

Do you mind sharing a link? I know MWG had them at great prices but they will no longer be getting any more of them. I'll go over to gunbroker and see if maybe I can find it...

ETA:

So I think I found the stock. I just don't know what inlet it has for bottom metal. Also, I'm not so sure $425 is a good deal considering what they used to sell for.

ETA:

Yeah I don’t think you can get a McMillan cheaper than that and these stocks dried up. I kinda wish I bought more than one. And the bottom metal inlet is for a standard Winchester hinged floor plate.

Reactions: stello1001
From Action Guy in an old post:
“1st Generation SPRs are few and far between. Probably not more than 700 made. Made only a few years, back in the late 1990s. Serial numbers start with "FG", they featured an HS Precision stock, .308 Winchester, 4 round DBM magazine, aluminum bottom metal, 26" chrome lined barrel. Shipped without a rail. One model, no options. Good performers, well priced. Made in Columbia, SC with M-240 barrels.”

One of the things I always liked about the later SPRs is that they seemed to be influenced by the USMC M40 series in basic design (barrel profile, stock) but with pre-64 actions instead of 700s. ouThe SPR A5 is extremely similar to an M40A5 but with a different (better, I think) action and I prefer the dbm system as well. My guess would be that’s because Action Guy and other FN product managers are former USMC but that’s just a guess.

XRs, thank you. Your post answers most all of the questions I had about my rifle.

Got the Hogue/BM from ebay - it is in fact a brand new, sealed TBM. No mags but probably cheapest you'll pick up a TBM these days. I've noticed that seller in the past - St Louis, MO. Coincidentally close to Midwest Gun Works? Don't think it's MGW but makes you wonder what story is.

Got the Hogue/BM from ebay - it is in fact a brand new, sealed TBM. No mags but probably cheapest you'll pick up a TBM these days. I've noticed that seller in the past - St Louis, MO. Coincidentally close to Midwest Gun Works? Don't think it's MGW but makes you wonder what story is.
I stopped bidding on that one, lol NVM, I forgot you already had one. There was another one that I think went for around 60+ shipping

I just did buy it now for $74. Was watching one they had that started at $1 and last I saw it was at $51 and ended. Thought it was supposed to go longer so not sure if they pulled it before end or not. Not worth playing bidding game to save a few $. Gave the Hogue to someone local today. Seller has 4 more listed buy it now $74 + $23 ship. And a TBM kit w/ 2 mags for $300 - go figure! Probably never use it but at least I have a spare TBM.

I just did buy it now for $74. Was watching one they had that started at $1 and last I saw it was at $51 and ended. Thought it was supposed to go longer so not sure if they pulled it before end or not. Not worth playing bidding game to save a few $. Gave the Hogue to someone local today. Seller has 4 more listed buy it now $74 + $23 ship. And a TBM kit w/ 2 mags for $300 - go figure! Probably never use it but at least I have a spare TBM.
I did the same and picked up a spare TBM myself. Can’t hurt at that price.

Reactions: Waorani
For those that have used the MCARBO trigger spring kit on their M70/FN SPR / PBR what are your impressions ? . I like mine on my PBR and will probably put one on my SPR.
Thanks!

I have one on a PBR-XP and another on a SPR. Much lighter pulls now and no complaints from me, they have functioned flawlessly.

I have 3, all three function just fine. One has some creep but I know it's not the spring as the creep was there much before...

I didn’t even know about these, the trigger on my tsr is pretty heavy. Are these kits still available?
it's just a spring, yes they're available...

Reactions: USNavy06
Just picked up my second spr. 20”.
first one I turned into a 6.5 creed. 22” proof barrel and manners mcs stock. 10.5 lbs ready to hunt.

this second one has no brass at all on the bolt face. Only a slight discoloration around firing pin hole like primer size. Maybe from being fired at factory. Other than that no indication of being fired.

my question is that it has a bdl type bottom metal. No detachable mag at all. I thought this variation also came with adjustable cheek piece. It does not have it. SSN is FN111xx. I know they started with FN 1000xx. Thinking might be made around 2004 or so.

Anybody have any thoughts on whitch model this may be??

thanks

Just picked up my second spr. 20”.
first one I turned into a 6.5 creed. 22” proof barrel and manners mcs stock. 10.5 lbs ready to hunt.

this second one has no brass at all on the bolt face. Only a slight discoloration around firing pin hole like primer size. Maybe from being fired at factory. Other than that no indication of being fired.

my question is that it has a bdl type bottom metal. No detachable mag at all. I thought this variation also came with adjustable cheek piece. It does not have it. SSN is FN111xx. I know they started with FN 1000xx. Thinking might be made around 2004 or so.

Anybody have any thoughts on whitch model this may be??

thanks

Let's see a pic...

Reactions: moosemeat
Don’t know how to post pic. Never done that.

If you’re posting from your phone, click the button on the left side just below the comment box. It should ask where on your phone you want to get the photo from (for me on an iPhone, I have the option to take a photo, choose from my photo library, or browse other areas on my phone. If you’ve already taken the photo, select your photo library, select the photo, and it’ll upload it. There should be an option to use it as a thumbnail or a full image. Select full image and it should pop it into your reply.

78DD046B-F165-452A-88AF-263A9E5A0CC6.jpeg

Does anyone have the hogue stock with the full bedding block?
How are they, not expecting manners or.mcmillian, but are they serviceable?
My options are hogue or the Boyd's at this point in the game.

Pics added

Attachments

• 12FF3ADD-97D9-42D5-8076-23D2BF0F1F82.jpeg
    12FF3ADD-97D9-42D5-8076-23D2BF0F1F82.jpeg
    858.3 KB · Views: 110
  • B51CEE72-B520-4D0C-8457-DB103DB62299.jpeg
    B51CEE72-B520-4D0C-8457-DB103DB62299.jpeg
    695.2 KB · Views: 125
  • FCB6B6F3-4856-417E-8796-AD64EF46F76F.jpeg
    FCB6B6F3-4856-417E-8796-AD64EF46F76F.jpeg
    282.8 KB · Views: 110
  • B4C00AB8-49EB-4C01-91F2-346DA79F8172.jpeg
    B4C00AB8-49EB-4C01-91F2-346DA79F8172.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 105
  • E81A6E14-BF0A-4E2A-89B0-38BAA8610F65.jpeg
    E81A6E14-BF0A-4E2A-89B0-38BAA8610F65.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 4707C512-A3AB-449C-BFE0-32D7F853CD1F.jpeg
    4707C512-A3AB-449C-BFE0-32D7F853CD1F.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 102
The A3G had the floorplate box magazine. The inlet appears identical with the space above the front "shoulders" of the bottom metal. I guess that means that McMillan was set up for that bottom inlet. Other than the floorplate there is nothing else that crosses over to the A3G stock.

Yes that is my question. It looks like maybe a a1a with a3g bottom metal. This raises my question might a collector want it as it seems to be fired very little if any. Maybe some got out as a in be tween.

Hoping action guy would chime in. He seems to know more than anybody.

My A1 came new from TACCORD with a floorplate.
95EDB084-8270-4C4D-814B-71320B3771B9.jpeg

Still hate that I sold this.

That might be the answer. Maybe taccord ordered them without detachable mag. ????

When I ordered, I had the option for either if I remember correctly. Or, they had both for sale in the A1 rifle.