• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

The only company I’ve seen that hates/hated their customers more than FN was Colt.

You think logistics for the SPR are bad, try owning a couple FNARs too, lol.

Then there are the Colt LE-901, Ar-901, and CM762 rifles. Also great rifles that had a short shelf life.
What about Sig lol. I’d gladly deal with a Colt or FN then drop my 320 or go to holster it and it goes off

let alone using their customers to beta test crap then they discontinue it

Winchester wants you to buy their fudd guns.

But they have short barrel and long range suppressor ready versions of their XPR so they are willing to make them but chose not to do it with the Model 70.

Also who the fuck decided to standardize on 11/16-24 muzzle threads?

Winchester- if your listening 3 steps to tactical/LR market ingress
1) buy the rights to CDI DBM and mill ALL actions for it from this point forward.
2) build M70 with good enough tolerances for prefits
3) come out with one in a manners/mcmillian with a m40 profile and 5/8-24 threads. If you wanted to be boss do it in a foundation. Also do it in calibers people give a fuck about.
Sell it for $2000ish. Maybe $2500.
I'd be in for one. Maybe 3 or 4.

The real problem is we think we are a large portion of the market. We are not. But if they just did steps 1 and 2 we could do the rest. And honestly I want a m79 with a 22" 3b, threaded, with a CDI DBM in 308 for my hunting rifle. All your long range stuff looks like something from 1998 and the barrels are to light.
Come to the dark side.

1) buy the rights to CDI DBM and mill ALL actions for it from this point forward.
3) come out with one in a manners/mcmillian with a m40 profile and 5/8-24 threads. If you wanted to be boss do it in a foundation. Also do it in calibers people give a fuck about.

The real problem is we think we are a large portion of the market. We are not. But if they just did steps 1 and 2 we could do the rest. And honestly I want a m79 with a 22" 3b, threaded, with a CDI DBM in 308 for my hunting rifle. All your long range stuff looks like something from 1998 and the barrels are to light.
Come to the dark side.
Agree.

I remember begging Colt to just slightly tighten the slide to frame fit tolerance and they would own the 1911 market, but Colt hated us too. I mean they could have just built them to remove 5 inches of slop between the slide and frame and still mass produce with minimal fitting.

I think most gun companies are owned by retarded people.

Reactions: farmer brown

Come to the dark side.
I'm intrigued by your ideas and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Honestly though, I'd buy the shit out of that.

I've been wondering, for the McMillian A1/A3/A5 stocks, are the grips ambi or do they have molding or ergos made to fit right-hand only? I could deal with firing lefty and running the bolt righty.

I was hot to trot on a budget Sako S20, willing to wrong-hand it, until I handled one and discovered the pistol grip has a molded shelf for a righty's fingers.

Last edited:
Agree.

I remember begging Colt to just slightly tighten the slide to frame fit tolerance and they would own the 1911 market, but Colt hated us too. I mean they could have just built them to remove 5 inches of slop between the slide and frame and still mass produce with minimal fitting.

I think most gun companies are owned by retarded people.
Didn’t Colt have a bolt action rifle that mimicked the Melvin Forbes /NULA at one point? The Colt Light Rifle?

I remember reading about it and for the price they offered them at they were sleepers.

Didn’t Colt have a bolt action rifle that mimicked the Melvin Forbes /NULA at one point? The Colt Light Rifle?

I remember reading about it and for the price they offered them at they were sleepers.
M2012. The 2 I own are hammers.

Their large frame AR’s were reliable, accurate, and durable. Wish I had bought 10 of them when they were $1,299 instead of just the one.

Colt is really good at bringing very good firearms to market, letting a bunch of people buy them, and then telling them to go fuck themselves…like FN which is why I haven’t bought one of the new FN Hi-powers because they’ll probably discontinue it 15 minutes after I buy it.

I’ve sidelined this thread enough, so I’ll leave off on wishing FN would bring the SPR back. They’d have to put it in a gay chassis for anyone to buy it though.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
Timing threads is easy. With modern cnc super easy. I think any of the prefit manufacturers could pull it off. Win/FN could as well. Would just add a few bucks to the rifle.

c2V8Vpj.jpeg

Come to the dark side.

That’s some truth right there.

We are a big enough share that Browning, a hunting gun company with zero tactical rifles, has introduced numerous target and suppressor ready rifles to the point that’s almost every one of their new X-Bolts and they barely make any of the old school hunting guns.

They even made one of their goofy ass bottom metals that takes AICS mags and that bottom metal is way more difficult to design than the CDI one. So Winchester has pretty much zero excuse for their performance when they literally have the blueprint for a solid target rifle that will sell like hot cakes.

Reactions: moosemeat
I've been wondering, for the McMillian A1/A3/A5 stocks, are the grips ambi or do they have molding or ergos made to fit right-hand only? I could deal with firing lefty and running the bolt righty.

I was hot to trot on a budget Sako S20, willing to wrong-hand it, until I handled one and discovered the pistol grip has a molded shelf for a righty's fingers.

Having owned, or still currently owning about a dozen McM stocks...the older A series (A2/3/4/5 and HTG) are all "ambi".

Reactions: 748rpilot
That is the rear of the ejector. It appears to be protruding into the bolt raceway, causing interference. It should stay below flush in this area.

AG
Just replied to your other response before reading this. First off, thank you for the help. I really appreciate it. Do you know what part of the ejector that is? It doesn’t look like the main blade

That is the back of the ejector, near where its pin is located. Behind this is the spring that powers it. If you look into the receiver and just behind the ejector where it is damaged, you should see the spring partially visible beneath and behind it.

I you pull the barreled action out of the stock you can see and appreciate how the trigger, ejector and bolt stop parts parts interact and how simple and robust they are.

As @diggler1833 stated in the other thread, taking the SPR apart is pretty easy and straight forward. Getting the ejector out requires removing the trigger and bolt stop, but that's one pin. You don't even need to take the nuts and adjustment screw loose from the trigger if you don't want to (which I don't recommend for this as it would require re-adjusting the trigger). The ejector is held by one role pin. All you need is the 5/32 hex to remover the action screws and the two punches to remove the trigger pin and ejector pin. Taking pictures along the way is a great idea and should ensure you get it back together, although it is really simple, which is one of its strengths (in my opinion).

I would pull the ejector and clean the top part up with a file or simply replace it.

Good luck.

AG

Reactions: diggler1833
That is the back of the ejector, near where its pin is located. Behind this is the spring that powers it. If you look into the receiver and just behind the ejector where it is damaged, you should see the spring partially visible beneath and behind it.

I you pull the barreled action out of the stock you can see and appreciate how the trigger, ejector and bolt stop parts parts interact and how simple and robust they are.

As @diggler1833 stated in the other thread, taking the SPR apart is pretty easy and straight forward. Getting the ejector out requires removing the trigger and bolt stop, but that's one pin. You don't even need to take the nuts and adjustment screw loose from the trigger if you don't want to (which I don't recommend for this as it would require re-adjusting the trigger). The ejector is held by one role pin. All you need is the 5/32 hex to remover the action screws and the two punches to remove the trigger pin and ejector pin. Taking pictures along the way is a great idea and should ensure you get it back together, although it is really simple, which is one of its strengths (in my opinion).

I would pull the ejector and clean the top part up with a file or simply replace it.

Good luck.

AG
Thank you!! I will do that and post pictures I take during the process. I appreciate your help so much, none of my google searches could provide the info you did. But maybe I was searching the wrong stuff lol.

I've had this A5 since 2013. Love everything about it. Used it at a precision rifle course that Frank & Laura taught last week at the Mifflin County Sportsman Association range (1000yd @ a 17 degree angle. Was able to place rounds on a 12x12 square plate @ 1000yds. I'll never get rid of it, but a 6.5 is in my future haha!!

View attachment 8242216
Loves me some mifflin county......

Anybody know if a m70 223 can be opened up on the mag well to take AICS mags just like the standard bolt face actions? Should be the same but I know the actions are not 100% identical.

Finally snagged an SPR for myself. Was wondering if anyone in here knew where to be on the lookout for a 10rnd tbm mag? Not really concerned with price just would like to have one (picked up an A5M XP)

Finally snagged an SPR for myself. Was wondering if anyone in here knew where to be on the lookout for a 10rnd tbm mag? Not really concerned with price just would like to have one (picked up an A5M XP)
My experience is just checking PX or gunbroker and wait for your luck. I've been hunting for one of those since pandemic without luck. Called FN and they told me all productions relate to FN SPR have been discontinued. I finally gave up TBM system settled for a MDT ESS chassis with AICS system, with a little tweaking it works just fine, no gunsmithing required.

@moosemeat
@wichitaguns

Does any one of you have the print with dimensions for cutting a model 70 in order to take AI mags? Or do you know who does?

If I just run ptg bottom metal alone it's not gonna work unless I also have the action cut out for it right?

@moosemeat
@wichitaguns

Does any one of you have the print with dimensions for cutting a model 70 in order to take AI mags? Or do you know who does?

If I just run ptg bottom metal alone it's not gonna work unless I also have the action cut out for it right?
I would check with chad from long rifles.
Not free but the work is excellent, reasonable and quick

Do any of you guys have experience with the Timney trigger for these rifles? I can't get the factory one to my liking even with springs etc. I'm looking at the 1.5 lb version from Timney.

It's a 6.5cm.

I'm surprised you can't get the trigger where you want it. I got mine set at 1.5# and it's pretty sweet.

I could get the factory trigger and spring to a very nice pull weight but it wouldn’t pass the butt stock bump test. I haven’t had any issues once I swapped in the Mcarbo spring.

Reactions: Undrgrndprdcts
I could get the factory trigger and spring to a very nice pull weight but it wouldn’t pass the butt stock bump test. I haven’t had any issues once I swapped in the Mcarbo spring.
I just ordered 2 Mcarbos for my M70's and one for my Tikka. Hopefully I can get them around 1.5-2 lb.

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
The PTG DBM system works great.

If you can avoid buying directly from them and use one of their dealers.

Inletting is an easy task.

I just wish Jeff @ CDI was still with us.

He was an asset to our community.
AMEN

The PTG DBM system works great.

If you can avoid buying directly from them and use one of their dealers.

Inletting is an easy task.

I just wish Jeff @ CDI was still with us.

He was an asset to our community.

Do you have a link or pics of a PTG? I ordered a ptg bottom metal for m70 once. After trying it out, it wasn't for AI mags so i probably ordered the wrong one.

Got this piggy yesterday evening at about 130-ish yards with the SPR. Shot it head on as it never got broadside. Placed the crosshair right on its forehead and the rest you guys already know. She let out a few squeals and kicks before it was all over.

Used norma factory ammo with a 175 golden target.
IMG-20231223-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20231223-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20231223-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20231223-WA0001.jpg