• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

Wierd that she squealed, but nice kill regardless man.

I've experienced cold bore shift with the suppressor on this rifle before. So I'm guessing it wasn't a direct hit to the brain. I thought the same thing and wondered why she squealed and kicked around vs just turning off like a light switch.

I looked for an entry hole but with all the thick hair and entry holes being tiny AF, I wasn't able to find the exact hit location.

Reactions: diggler1833
Got this piggy yesterday evening at about 130-ish yards with the SPR. Shot it head on as it never got broadside. Placed the crosshair right on its forehead and the rest you guys already know. She let out a few squeals and kicks before it was all over.

Used norma factory ammo with a 175 golden target.View attachment 8304839View attachment 8304840View attachment 8304841View attachment 8304842

It's the same one you sold me @Basher

I'm pretty sure it's my favorite rifle

Got this SPR recently. It came with a custom barrel which I believe the previous owner said was a rock creek. Work was done by precision barrel works out of Hempstead texas. Action face has been squared, magwell has been opened up.

Barrel is 25.5" long and has a very well blended muzzle break. The rifle came with a PTG bottom metal, FN TBM, and an fn flush mag bottom metal & mag. Previous owner also included a drag bag into the deal.

Can't wait to see how it's gonna turn out. I have no idea yet what glass it'll sport and what kinda paint job it'll get but if anyone knows anything about me, its that I like to give my rifles some wicked paint jobs.
20240120_220234.jpg
20240120_220215.jpg
20240120_220152.jpg
20240120_220117.jpg
20240120_220059.jpg
20240120_220017.jpg
20240120_215933.jpg

Got this SPR recently. It came with a custom barrel which I believe the previous owner said was a rock creek. Work was done by precision barrel works out of Hempstead texas. Action face has been squared, magwell has been opened up.

Barrel is 25.5" long and has a very well blended muzzle break. The rifle came with a PTG bottom metal, FN TBM, and an fn flush mag bottom metal & mag. Previous owner also included a drag bag into the deal.

Can't wait to see how it's gonna turn out. I have no idea yet what glass it'll sport and what kinda paint job it'll get but if anyone knows anything about me, its that I like to give my rifles some wicked paint jobs.View attachment 8328619View attachment 8328620View attachment 8328621View attachment 8328622View attachment 8328623View attachment 8328624View attachment 8328625
She’s a beauty!

Reactions: stello1001
Just had my bolt break on my FN SPR A5M XP 308.

I live in Australia and we don't have an FN dealer. I've emailed FN to ask what the part is and am waiting for a reply, hopefully that nets a result.
I got told to check with Winchester as it's a pre-64 action and Winchester has gone back to making the pre-64s but when I asked Winchester they referred me to FN.
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement firing pin for the SPR and/or does anyone know the appropriate alternate part from Winchester?

Thanks

Carso
20240123_121547.jpg

I live in Australia and we don't have an FN dealer. I've emailed FN to ask what the part is and am waiting for a reply, hopefully that nets a result.
I got told to check with Winchester as it's a pre-64 action and Winchester has gone back to making the pre-64s but when I asked Winchester they referred me to FN.
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement firing pin for the SPR and/or does anyone know the appropriate alternate part from Winchester?

Thanks

CarsoView attachment 8332084

Most likely it is this, part number 14

Reactions: Zigjib
Thanks for the reply mate, but the link doesn't work - maybe because i'm in Aus.

The SPR uses a short magnum action doesn't it? is that the same size as a standard 308 action?

The SPR came in 308 and 300WSM.

The SPR isn't a Pre 64 model 70. They are very similar but the SPR is a short action.

Thanks

Midwest Gun works sold lots of FN parts for the SPR. I would send them an email or call and i bet they can point you in right direction if not have the part you need. Hope the link works

Reactions: Zigjib
Midwest Gun works sold lots of FN parts for the SPR. I would send them an email or call and i bet they can point you in right direction if not have the part you need. Hope the link works

Yeah bud, link works, i'll hit them up.

Thanks!

Carso

20240128_170834.jpg

Decided to do a Lil family photoshoot...

Left to right:

Fn spr
Rock creek 25.5" .308win 11.25 twist

Win70 heavy varmint barrel
Factory barrel 26" .223rem 9 twist
Bushnell lrts 3-12

Fn spr w/ MDT chassis
Shilen select match 22.5" .308win 10 twist
Minox zp5 3-15

Win70 (run of the mill hunting rifle)
Bushnell lrhs 4.5-18

Howa mini w/ B&C Stock
Factory 20" barrel 6.5 grendel
Sig sauer 4-16

Howa mini w/ boyds pro varmint
Factory 20" cut down to 18" 6.5 grendel
Bushnell lrts 3-12

Howa 1500 HCR
Factory 24" barrel 6.5 CM
Sig sauer tango6 4-24

Thanks

The Winchester part number you need is U352300980.

Reactions: diggler1833

Thanks

Seems like a weird thing to break! Has anyone known of this happening to other SPR's? This piece is shaped differently on various FN Model 70s from what I can see.

The portion that broke - is it only responsible for cocking the firing pin or does it also take the brunt of dry-firing? Just trying to think of what would cause that.

Seems like a weird thing to break! Has anyone known of this happening to other SPR's? This piece is shaped differently on various FN Model 70s from what I can see.

The portion that broke - is it only responsible for cocking the firing pin or does it also take the brunt of dry-firing? Just trying to think of what would cause that.
honestly mate, she's seen some work.

If it takes the whack from the dry fire then it would make sense that it broke. I have dry fired this gun millions of times.

Reactions: CrazyHands13
This part should not impact anything during firing or dry fire. The firing pin shoulder should act as the stop when dry firing. The part that broke here is the cam that interacts with the bolt body cam slot: cocks the firing pin/striker when the bolt is opened.

You can see the relationship if you install the striker into the bolt (out of the rifle) and rotate the striker (must press the bolt sleeve lock to rotate) into the fire position with the safety on fire. The firing pin protrusion that broke will fall into the cam slot in the bolt body and there should be plenty of clearance with the firing pin all the way forward. Rotating the striker shroud to recock the striker will demonstrate the caming action of cocking. With a broken cam, this will not work as there is nothing to interact with the cam slot.

The only way (I can logically see) the cam protrusion could impact something it is not supposed to is if the bolt handle is not complete down when the trigger is pulled. This will result in the cam protrusion hitting the cam slot as it moves forward. This force could break the cam in the manner your photo indicates. Not sure how many of this type of event it would take to break. It is also less likely that the rifle would fire if this is occurring because the striker will be robbed of energy as it forces the bolt to completely close via the cam slot aligning with the falling striker. Not saying it can't fire, just that it depends on how far the bolt handle is raised and how far the bolt is forced to turn, being forced by the striker and whether there is enough energy remaining to ignite the primer.

Hope this helps and good luck.

AG

This part should not impact anything during firing or dry fire. The firing pin shoulder should act as the stop when dry firing. The part that broke here is the cam that interacts with the bolt body cam slot: cocks the firing pin/striker when the bolt is opened.

You can see the relationship if you install the striker into the bolt (out of the rifle) and rotate the striker (must press the bolt sleeve lock to rotate) into the fire position with the safety on fire. The firing pin protrusion that broke will fall into the cam slot in the bolt body and there should be plenty of clearance with the firing pin all the way forward. Rotating the striker shroud to recock the striker will demonstrate the caming action of cocking. With a broken cam, this will not work as there is nothing to interact with the cam slot.

The only way (I can logically see) the cam protrusion could impact something it is not supposed to is if the bolt handle is not complete down when the trigger is pulled. This will result in the cam protrusion hitting the cam slot as it moves forward. This force could break the cam in the manner your photo indicates. Not sure how many of this type of event it would take to break. It is also less likely that the rifle would fire if this is occurring because the striker will be robbed of energy as it forces the bolt to completely close via the cam slot aligning with the falling striker. Not saying it can't fire, just that it depends on how far the bolt handle is raised and how far the bolt is forced to turn, being forced by the striker and whether there is enough energy remaining to ignite the primer.

Hope this helps and good luck.

AG
Thanks for the technical outlook. I have confirmed what you stated about the clearance in the cam slot of the bolt body and the little cocking piece cam, with the firing pin all the way forward, there is clearance.

Getting ready to rebarrel my SPR A1. Thinking heavy varmint at 22". Staying 308.
Reason for rebarrel is its given up the ghost at 8000+ rounds.

Pics of one with a Heavy Varmint would be nice.

Sorry, no heavy varmint. Have done a couple of M24s, and they look great.

Where are you sending yours to?

Getting ready to rebarrel my SPR A1. Thinking heavy varmint at 22". Staying 308.
Reason for rebarrel is its given up the ghost at 8000+ rounds.

Pics of one with a Heavy Varmint would be nice.

My SPR is still on the factory barrel, but if you pull up pictures of Win M70 308 Heavy Varmint it should be very similar profile though 26". I've dropped a Heavy Varmint barrled action in a A-3 take off and fit fine....

Sorry, no heavy varmint. Have done a couple of M24s, and they look great.

Where are you sending yours to?
99% chance LRI.
My SPR is still on the factory barrel, but if you pull up pictures of Win M70 308 Heavy Varmint it should be very similar profile though 26". I've dropped a Heavy Varmint barrled action in a A-3 take off and fit fine....
Glad to hear it fits without inletting.

99% chance LRI.

Glad to hear it fits without inletting.

You may find that you have to remove some material from the barrel channel. It's not quite 5am here, so I'm not going to stumble out into my shop to measure my old SPR barrels that I took off...but if memory serves correct; those were about 1.185" ish near the breech.

With a 1.250 x 5" breech diameter of a heavy varmint, I'm guessing that you'll be removing some material.

The guy that did my barrels is a state south of you. I can't recommend him enough.

Anyone who can rebarrel a Model 70 can do the FN. I know I've seen several SPR's that got rebarreled at LRI on here maybe in this thread.

Oh I know who can do the work and who I want to. It's most likely going to LRI because a) quality of work b) turn around time and c) they answered the phone/emails I sent.

Thanks! It's actually my m70 heavy varmint in .223 sporting one of my spr stocks. But I do agree it looks really good. Especially with how those colors work together.
Agreed. I’ve always been a fan of FDE Ceracote on the action/barrel with a black or green stock.

The color combos work very well together.

Reactions: stello1001
Bought an SPR A2 new back in 2012 and sold it to a friend a year later. Fast forward 12 years, and I'm trading him an optic for my SPR.

Looks like I missed the boat on last year's Midway TBM release. Anyone have a line on a TBM or would you recommend an AICS bottom metal over TBM? I'd appreciate some perspectives.

I would go aics now that 10 round mags for the tbm are difficult to find.

TBMs are really good if you can find one and whatever many mags you'll need. However, AICS is good because it gives you mag compatibility with your other rifles and or squad members at matches etc.

The problem there is Pt&g.

Except, where you getting aics bottom metal?

It's the same for TBM, where are you gonna get a TBM and the mage you want/need for them?

So for either one, where are you gonna find it? If you find a PTG or CDI, then you're set. You'll need AI mags but you can find those anywhere and you may need to open the action depending on which specific mag you run. But you can get that with many gunsmiths too so...