• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

mahiman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2010
College Station, Texas
I have owned an FN SPR A1 for over a decade. It’s been the best rifle I have ever owned. It’s Topped with the older NF with the NPR2 reticle. I always enjoy getting behind it and cutting sub Half MOA groups or dropping deer in their tracks.

After the first year I called FN to check the serial number for date of manufacturing. I was surprised to find out it was one of the first two hundred built. The first two hundred were built in the Winchester custom shop. Yes I was blown away!!

its been the go to rifle when the temperature drops and the bucks are chasing does.

Are there many SPR lovers around anymore?
Does anyone still use them in matches?
If there are share a memory or what are you doing with your SPR!

I know things have changed and there are many new platforms to choose from. Just thought I would see how many are still around the hide!

I have an SPR and a PBR XP. The SPR needs a new barrel so it's been sitting in the safe for a bit. Like most people who actually use their rifles often, I take mine to matches, a class and hunting regularly. Recently been wondering what are some good aftermarket triggers for it?

There used to be a FN SPR/PBR thread on the old hide and a bunch of guys had some pictures of some nice rigs on there. Here's a few obligatory ones I have on my phone.

IMG_3837.jpg

20160521_093340.jpg
20181021_194644.jpg

Got one I just had chambered to 6CM with a carbon fiber barrel. My favorite action and man does she shoot! May get used in a comp but its a nice medium weight rig for varmints/small game for sure.

Another SPR lover. Got my A1 after they where discontinued. I shoot it in F T/R and honestly it's more accurate than needed. Killed several deer with it. I have a few other rifles but it's my go to.
I think they are a overlooked gem. If they had a better DBM from the factory they would be perfect.

Nice pictures MJ!! The previous owner of my rifle put a drop in jewell trigger. It’s adjustable and I have it set for two pounds.

Been researching what it would take and cost to get back to factory.

I have decided to stay with the jewell.

Timney has a drop in adjustable trigger for the M70 actions and I verified they have one that will go into the SPR.

LR I bet that carbon fiber barrel is sweet!!

Reactions: Long Range 338
Building on one at the moment. Down to caliber selection. 6mm something or another or another 308 twist rate experiment. Excellent rifle. Buddy had one years ago. When he sold it i kicked myself for not buying it. When one came up here a few months ago, I did not hesitate.

I agree with you Mr Moosemeat. The magazine could have been much better. My daughter is going to start her last semester at Tx A&M this fall. I’m thinking about getting the TBM kit from Midwest for her graduation gift!! Once installed It will be ours ?! Well you know it will be kept here at the house in the safe!!

I would skip the TBM kit and do the CDI kit. Then you have AICS mag compatibility. AICS mags are everywhere. The FN mags are currently available but, that will not last forever.

Reactions: Snaz
My plan is the cdi kit as well.
So many people bought Remington 5r rifles instead when they could have had FN SPRs. I remember because for the price of a 5R you got a CRF action with a Mcmillian stock. Guess FN didnt have the advertising push of the others.
By the way, those of you who have shot out the chrome lined barrels, how long did that take? I'm on pound 8 of varget and my throat looks fine.

Reactions: northern50
Just bought my first this spring. Picked up a used FN PBR with 16” barrel. Wish it was a 20’ish but it’s what it was. It came with a houge overmolded stock which I’m not wild about, but will get around to replacing that. My only actual complaint is the the last round won’t feed. I’ve searched around and it appears to be quite common. I’m going to see what I can do to remedy that. Otherwise, it’s a great shooter. No trouble getting 1 1/4” 1 1/2” groups at 300 yards during load development.

Old - you have me intrigued on the CDI kit. Going to research CDI over the next few days. May have to change my daughters grad gift! ?

Thanks for the information!! It’s great to see that there are SPR guys still kicking ars.

I was a diehard FN-SPR fan for a long time, but 6mm barrels don't last long and having to send the action to get a barrel fitted due to the extractor cut, even when getting multiple barrels chambered at once, was a deal breaker once I went to push feed pre-fit barrels. I still have SPR's and have a soft spot for them but not as my comp rifles.

Only thing with CDI/any AICS DBM that gives me pause is need to cut receiver. Minor but ......

Attachments

• fn-win%20mag%20well%201.jpg
    fn-win%20mag%20well%201.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 400
  • fn-win%20mag%20well%202.jpg
    fn-win%20mag%20well%202.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 341
Reactions: onethousandmeters
I was a diehard FN-SPR fan for a long time, but 6mm barrels don't last long and having to send the action to get a barrel fitted due to the extractor cut, even when getting multiple barrels chambered at once, was a deal breaker once I went to push feed pre-fit barrels. I still have SPR's and have a soft spot for them but not as my comp rifles.

The extractor cut adds $50 to $100 to the cost of the barrel. Beyond that, it's no different than having any other non-prefit action rebarreled.

Bought two spr actions last year. Going to get two mcmillian stocks and send ofg to lri for barrel install. I migjt just go old school with a an internal box mag. Keep is svelte. Potential 18th bday gifta for the two boys.

The extractor cut adds $50 to $100 to the cost of the barrel. Beyond that, it's no different than having any other non-prefit action rebarreled.
Price ain't the issue. It's having to have the action in hand to time the extractor cut. Since I don't have the facilities to do my own barrel work, means I have to send the action, even though the smith has all the dimensions, so the extractor cut can be timed correctly. Without the extractor cut, I can order up shouldered prefit barrels at will.

My plan is the cdi kit as well.
So many people bought Remington 5r rifles instead when they could have had FN SPRs. I remember because for the price of a 5R you got a CRF action with a Mcmillian stock. Guess FN didnt have the advertising push of the others.
By the way, those of you who have shot out the chrome lined barrels, how long did that take? I'm on pound 8 of varget and my throat looks fine.
I shot out my chrome barrel in about 4K rounds of 308. When the barrel crapped out, I couldn’t hit a basketball at 200 yds. The throat was destroyed.

My previous SPR A1 that I foolishly sold
843D5E78-4B41-40D2-B572-F8D4987370C7.jpeg

My current PBR (SPR relabeled) in need of a barrel and possibly a MCM A-10, maybe a CG 2 stage trigger.
CB7E5BF2-3BE3-446E-BE26-DF5841A3CC24.jpeg

Fantastic actions. The only negative being that you cannot do at home barrel swaps. Has literally no other faults that I can reasonably see.

last night did a little research on the CDI kit. You have a choice of magazines. Those who have please answer a couple of questions.

1. AICS mags or Magpul magazines on SPR?
2. Is it a SPR diy home project or for a gunsmith?
3. If it needs a professional install- CDI will install kit at no charge, just have to send the stock or entire gun- local Smith or CDI?
4. Depending on 3- entire rifle or stock?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Reactions: M8541Reaper
FN A3G Here

Been running it since 2008 and over the years I’ve done a few minor modifications (installed a bipod rail, SAC bolt knob, flush cups, had the barrel threaded, and sent it to CDI to do the AICS DBM upgrade).

Planning on giving it to the wife when I get my AI, so I’m thinking of upgrading her to the MCM A-10 stock.

Those of you on the fence about doing the CDI upgrade, do it. You’ll be glad you did. I’ve only run AI AICS mags in it so not sure about other brands but the quality of work was top notch.

A while back I spoke with an MDT rep on here about their ESS chassis and he stated that there shouldn’t be a feeding issue with AICS mags being that I already had the CDI work done. I have yet to try the ESS for the A3G only because I planned on giving it to my wife.

It’s an absolute hammer.

I shot out my chrome barrel in about 4K rounds of 308. When the barrel crapped out, I couldn’t hit a basketball at 200 yds. The throat was destroyed.

Shot out a 308 barrel in 4,000 rounds. Crome lined no less. That’s defiantly one to remember.

Reactions: Bender
last night did a little research on the CDI kit. You have a choice of magazines. Those who have please answer a couple of questions.

3. If it needs a professional install- CDI will install kit at no charge, just have to send the stock or entire gun- local Smith or CDI?

1. AI AICS (Metal) - I’m biased towards metal mags, so it might just be a me thing. (I’m assuming you meant metal vs polymer with this question.)

2. Not sure. Anything can be DIY if you’re brave enough ;)

3. CDI recommends you send it to them for the installation, which is free. Could you just buy the part and do it yourself or give to your local Smith? I’m sure you could but why risk it? Just send your system to CDI and let them do it. I think the turn around time (from it leaving my hands to being back in my hands) was two weeks.

4. Send the entire rifle. This was so they can ensure there are no feeding/fit issues with your rifle before it is returned.

The above is just my recommendation and based on my opinion from personal experience. Best of luck with whatever you decide. If you do end up going with the upgrade, you won’t be disappointed.

Reactions: Pappasniper
All the metal AICS pattern mags I’ve used required modification of some sort to function across all my platforms. The MagPul polymer AICS mags work perfectly out of the box for half the price of the other. The MagPul does limit COAL, but that’s never been an issue for me.

The key to proper feeding is having the action, stock, DBM, and mags to be used fitted at the same time. Yes, all AICS mags should be close enough to function the same, but they are not. They will hold rounds and feed into the action, but not as smooth as they should. If your preforming the work fit all parts and function test dry. CDI only requires the stock. And if your handy you can do the final fitting for perfect function.

Reactions: 308pirate
All the metal AICS pattern mags I’ve used required modification of some sort to function across all my platforms. The MagPul polymer AICS mags work perfectly out of the box for half the price of the other. The MagPul does limit COAL, but that’s never been an issue for me.
+1

Has anyone here put a Wyatt or other extended internal (BDL) magazine box in their SPR/PBR?

Kinda want a sleeker internal mag but want the COAL of the AI mags.

All I’ve got left is the memory, but I had an SPR A1 that shot like I still don’t believe. Used to routinely shoot sub 1/4, with a Falcon Menace fixed 10x on it. Shot it out to a hair short of a mile several times and it was boringly accurate. Traded it off years ago for a MK4. Probably 10-11 years back now.

Definitely the one gun I constantly kick myself in the ass for selling. Terrible trigger, but that gun was a shooter.

If I could get another that shot like that, or just got a good deal on one, I’d have one again. No doubt.

I had CDI do my inlet and the small removal of metal from the SPR action so it clears for feeding. I've got 4 or 5 metal AICS mags, never had to adjust any for this gun. Built it with a Douglas air guaged barrel and I've got a few other guns and can't bring myself to sell this one.

That has to be an outlier.

Depends. Reloaded ammo at the upper end of pressure envelope where your chewing into the throat each trigger pull, then it could easily be done in 4000 rounds or less.

Middle road velocity reload or factory ammo, then yeah, that's a low round count on a barrel

I've got a stock FN SPR A5M XP. It likes almost all the ammo that I've fed it. Right now I'm using 168gr Tipped SMK's just to use them up, then I'll probably stick to the 155gr Palma bullets. It LOOOOOOVES those things.

I'm a NRA Highpower shooter and I've used it in several matches for fun. It is the slickest action that I own (and I also have a Bighorn TL3 and a Defiance Mutant).

Lately I've been shooting lighter recoiling rounds. The .308 isn't bad, but shoot 2/300 in an afternoon and you know you did it. Compared to the .223 or 220 Thunderbolt.....they have virtually no recoil and it's easier for me to focus on instilling the fundamentals.

I've been close to buying another one...probably an SPR A1 and having it rebarreled to a 22cal. That will probably happen at some point in the not too distant future, but I've got to find one for the right price since I'm looking to scrap the barrel.

Later,
Ross

Depends. Reloaded ammo at the upper end of pressure envelope where your chewing into the throat each trigger pull, then it could easily be done in 4000 rounds or less.

Middle road velocity reload or factory ammo, then yeah, that's a low round count on a barrel
Pressure is not the principal mechanism of throat erosion which is what kills barrels.

Contacted CDI this morning and it does looks like the best thing to do is send the whole rifle in for the bottom metal.

They were awesome to talk to. Turns out the FN SPR was the owners inspiration for the CDI mod. He owned one and was a tool and did maker and decided he could make one. Fast forward to today and look at how his ideas have effected so many people.

I think that’s awesome!!

I used to have a model 70 in 223Rem in a McMillan A2 and I had CDI install their bottom metal..... It was great.

I sold the gun after buying my Bighorn... But it was a great product and great customer service.

+1 for CDI

Nice rig reaper!! thanks for sharing!!

Here is a pic of my beast!! It’s now sporting an atlas B10. Just no pics with it yet!?

Attachments

• 4340DCCB-AA3E-42B3-B020-894509CDBD78.jpeg
    4340DCCB-AA3E-42B3-B020-894509CDBD78.jpeg
    679.7 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
I love Pre '64 Win 70s and FN SPRs. One of my main competition guns is a custom FN SPR originally built by AJ Brown with an FN SPR action, Bartlein 308 barrel, bedded into a Manners T3 stock with CDI bottom metal. Now it has a Bartlein 6.5 CM barrel installed by Wade Stuteville and an adjustable cheekpiece by Joe Ducos but is otherwise the same.

Attachments

• FN AJ Brown.JPG
    FN AJ Brown.JPG
    478.7 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_2984.jpg
    IMG_2984.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 267
I like my SPR a lot. My father bought one awhile back and it was my introduction to long range shooting. I bought for myself used on the EE here last year. It was a good deal and I like having a 308 to shoot. There’s something special about that pre 64 M70 action. It’s a shame they've been discontinued by FN. I regret not getting an action or two when they were readily available for future projects.

Reactions: cruze5
I agree with you Mr Moosemeat. The magazine could have been much better. My daughter is going to start her last semester at Tx A&M this fall. I’m thinking about getting the TBM kit from Midwest for her graduation gift!! Once installed It will be ours ?! Well you know it will be kept here at the house in the safe!!

There is a great shooting range South of A&M. They have monthly PRS matches and are hosting the Lone Survivor match soon.

I have been very interested in one of these for a while, there is a local guy with an spr a5 with the 24 inch barrel that has been threaded for like 1700 bucks, I need to just go ahead and buy it !

You should man. I know one just went in the PX for a good price yesterday or today. You won't be disappointed.

There is also a guy selling a pre64 Win. 70 for $800 or so. Looks like a good deal. I’d like it for myself.

Reactions: Craigm63
Getting back to the original question on whether the FN-SPR's are extinct; I think they have moved to hunting and other lower round-count shooting disciplines. Stubbornly I have run three FN actions for many years as my competition rifles but no more for these reasons:
  • The extra complication of cutting the extractor notch and having to send the action so it's timed properly. (that's why I run three actions)
  • Blade mechanical ejector is great BUT it throws the brass FAR, which during a match basically means you lose 80% of your brass.
The FN/M70 actions are great, really smooth when worn in and the trigger can be reworked to a clean, safe 1-lb break and I will always have them, but I've realized for what I do, I can no longer resist the M700-clone tide... resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.....

I actually like having my brass getting launched a little bit during matches because its outside the pile of everyone else's. Losing 80% of your brass seems pretty unreasonable to me, I loose about as much as I used to with 700 style actions.

Everyone has their preference, the more I used the 700 (especially the M40 variants) the more I started to move away from them. Not saying everyone should ditch them but they aren't for me.

Semi agree with the extractor cut but I don't think it's a deal breaker and if you have more than one action it's completely a non issue. I'm always curious how it is people on the hide claim to be burning down so many barrels, are you a sponsored shooter? In the last 12 months I have shot around 1k a year in my current barrelled PBR outside of competitions and about another 1k with all the matches I can make it to. That might fluctuate a bit for me based on workups and deployments but I feel like it's a decent amount if you actually maintain logs on round counts and not just swag what you think you shot out of one of your guns. If all you shoot is 6mm calibers I get it but that's kind of the reason I went back to 308 is to save money on barrels.

Granted I also shoot 3, 2gun and IDPA/USPSA matches when able too. Being active duty hurts me on going to all the comps I'd like to go to. I know most civilian guys I shoot with aren't burning barrels every year unless they got a jersey on because they have jobs/wives to contend with.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I'm an FN junkie!, I have a SPR in an A4 stock I bedded myself 20" fluted barrel and purchased a PBR action from midwest for a custom build. I'm waiting for Bartlein to send me my 26" left gain twist Marksmen contour barrel in 7mm . The cartridge will be 7SAW.
Gre-Tan bushed the bolt/pin and the stock is a A3G, the stock trigger works well for me and if I end up replacing it it will be with a two stage.
I really like the FNH TBM but wish it alowed for a longer coal. If and when the SPR barrel goes south I will most likely go 6.5x47 Lapua and keep the FNH TBM system as I think it's just about perfect for the Lapua cartridge and I have two 5 rnd and two 10 rnd magazines as of now.
The PBR 7SAW will use the hinged floorplate with the spacer removed for 3.0" coal, this will be a hunting rifle, this rig will most likely be ready November 2019, I'll post pictures upon completion!
All the features of the FNH M70 are what I consider ideal for a real world rifle intended for hunting dangerous two&four legged varmints!

Has anyone here replaced or adjusted their FN SPR trigg
Spoke to SAC today. Got my bolt ready to ship tomorrow.

Getting a tactical bolt knob for Father’s Day!!!

My SPR will love it!!! ?

Did the same a while back. Top notch work (obviously) and super fast turnaround.