• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are there any AICS compatible mags (.308) that allow for longer oal?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Unable to seat out VLD's in my son's .260; can't get longer than 2.89.

There's a fairly thick reinforcing plate in the front of the magazine...were it not for that, I'd be a lot closer to the oal I need for the .260 Match chamber.

I shortened the 140 Amax oal to fit and they shot very well given the long jump, but I think there may be room for improvement if I can seat them out closer to the lands.

I know he can single load, but wondering if any aftermarket mags allow for longer oal?

I considered that, looks like it's spot-welded in. Will it "pop" loose with judicious use of a hammer and punch?

No, you'll destroy the magazine. The spot welds need to be drilled out with a 1/4" drill bit, then the front plate can be removed and the holes tig welded closed to keep the nose of the bullets from hanging up in there. Or what I did was drill out the spot welds and epoxied a piece of .035" stainless where the plate was at. I gained about .040" in the mag and somewhat kept the structural integrity of the magazine intact. If the epoxy (Devcon) ever fails, then I'll bother a friend to get them tigged in place. This was in Accurate AICS pattern 308 mags, not sure how thick the plate is in the AICS brand mags.

I just ordered a new aics from Mile High and I'm hoping my alpha II works.

The Alpha mags are great.... WHEN they work right. Mine started off great, but have slowly developed issues over time.

Despite the greater length, I will be sticking to the Accurate Mag magazines without the plates from now on.

I've heard a few guys on the net and in person say the alpha type IIs dont work, but I have not seen any issues at all with mine running long 260 Rem loads at full mag capacity. For some reason no gripes ever come when more expensive mags don't function.

I recently bought a few more type II's and I have to say, as well as a friend who saw them, they are higher quality and the finished is improved from previous mags.

Yeah I shoot somewhere in 2.9 range with my 260. I removed the metal piece then welded it. Wasn't too hard. I also milled my rem 700 action so I can have no jams. Just a tiny little bit with a endmill. I did a ton of home gun smithing on my 700. Reinforced bolt handle bigger bolt handle etc. Inlet stock for ptg bottom metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk