• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are there any Flat Earthers here?

tomcatfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2010
Southern MD.
I don't know if this violates the forum rules as far as discussing religion. If so, delete the thread. I just got off of YouTube where I just wasted a couple hours of my life watching a flat earth debate and it had me thinking, how many people seriously think the earth is flat? Are there any flat earther's here on the Hide?

If so I've got a couple of questions. What evidence specifically do you need to see to be convinced that the earth is a spherical ellipsoid? And how can I provide you that evidence without just washing it away as some sort of Government conspiracy? Just curious.

The KRG Xray chassis I was looking at a second ago here on the hide was flat in the picture, but I'm pretty sure its 3 dimensional in person.

On the subject of moons, how come Earth's one and only moon doesn't have a cool name like the rest of the moons in the Solar System? It's literally just called "Moon". After we colonize Mars, we need to adopt those two moons. Deimos and Phobos not only are cool names, but they're mentioned many times in Doom. How fucking cool is that!?

I am pretty tolerant but flat earth is just fucked up. I honestly have a hard time believing it was ever a "THING".
look at the world around you, "flat" is not natural.
How in the hell do "flat earthers" explain seasons?

I am pretty tolerant but flat earth is just fucked up. I honestly have a hard time believing it was ever a "THING".
look at the world around you, "flat" is not natural.
How in the hell do "flat earthers" explain seasons?

Position of the sun as it revolves around us.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
No flat earthers but seems like every two weeks we get people here that wish Hillary had won the election......weird.

Perhaps they are AR manufacturers or work for them. It has been some time since Employee Of The Month Obama has left the industry. Dedicated sales associates are the top priority of retail, and in this case, they don't even need to be sexy or attractive.

I don't know if this violates the forum rules as far as discussing religion. If so, delete the thread. I just got off of YouTube where I just wasted a couple hours of my life watching a flat earth debate and it had me thinking, how many people seriously think the earth is flat? Are there any flat earther's here on the Hide?

If so I've got a couple of questions. What evidence specifically do you need to see to be convinced that the earth is a spherical ellipsoid? And how can I provide you that evidence without just washing it away as some sort of Government conspiracy? Just curious.
So, in your mind a person who has faith that what they perceive isn’t all there is must be similar to someone who disbelieves easily demonstrable fact? Perhaps it’s you who are the flat earther...
I’m sure I’m being too sensitive, but as a person of faith and conviction I find the premise insulting. As the reality of anti-Christian bigotry has become mainstream, and we have leftists openly administering religious tests to appointed offices, as well as government openly discriminating against churches, anyone who is not sensitive isn’t paying attention. We’re a long way from lions, but clearly that is the direction we are heading at light speed when you consider only two or three generations ago...

@2ndamendfan , you’re right. It was never “a thing”. Sure, a minority of idiots throughout history may have thought this, but even the Mezoamericans knew the earth was round, and the sun the center of the solar system. Eskimos were asked how they knew the Earth was round, and they replied, “just look at the Earth’s sister, the moon, of course it’s round. But, the most basic one that’s been observed since the Phoenicians at least, if you stand on the shore and watch a ship sail away on a clear day it appears to start sinking before you loose sight of it. You can see it traversing the curve of the earth. Celestial navigation is based on spherical geometry. It would not work unless it was on a sphere. There are tons more, but these are the basics.

I think Flat Earth society is just for fun. If someone actually believes it they should probably be institutionalized...

Explain this:
1547907684038.png

R

Reactions: ShooterwithNoName
I've read long, heated "discussions" in which actual "flat earthers" make their case, and I read it over on the AKFiles forum (figures).

They claim that everyone who does or ever has worked for NASA is read into the conspiracy and must sign NDAs etc. never to divulge what everyone who ever has worked for or is working for NASA knows: the earth is flat.

The moon landings took place on a huge sound stage in Houston and it was all a hoax to perpetuate the conspiracy.

Airline pilots perceive curvature but are actually just flying in a big loop over a flat planet and the plexiglass in their windows makes it look like there is a curvature.

And...on...and...on.

They are all nuttier than grandma's fruitcakes.

I've read long, heated "discussions" in which actual "flat earthers" make their case, and I read it over on the AKFiles forum (figures).

They claim that everyone who does or ever has worked for NASA is read into the conspiracy and must sign NDAs etc. never to divulge what everyone who ever has worked for or is working for NASA knows: the earth is flat.

The moon landings took place on a huge sound stage in Houston and it was all a hoax to perpetuate the conspiracy.

Airline pilots perceive curvature but are actually just flying in a big loop over a flat planet and the plexiglass in their windows makes it look like there is a curvature.

And...on...and...on.

They are all nuttier than grandma's fruitcakes.
Sweet Jesus...
This sounds like a large group of peole that can be sold "anti spherical indoctrination safety hats"...
Might as well help fund the shooting... Lol

R

So funny you brought this up! My buddy and I were talking about it last week. I told him a while back when I was taking a Philosophy 201 class in college that they showed us a video of people arguing for flat earth. They were damn serious. I had a feeling it was made up, actors, just for the sake of argument in philosophy classes.

But then years later here we are talking and it turns out the shit is real! Maybe that video I watched was real! So we looked around and there's this guy who recently shot himself up in a steam rocket (where he spectacularly crashed in the Mojave after 2000ft peak). He's a Phd. physicist and believes this shit! Says physics isn't science, just formulas. Apparently there are some highly educated flat earthers! He's not the only one. Some well known actors and musicians are too and it's gaining more ground and popularity in rap music circles.

One famous basketball player recently tweeted that he claimed it's flat and everyone is being lied to. This wound up with a fifth grade class sharing information about the tweet and coming to the realization that their science teacher was lying to them on purpose about the world being round! When it was found out what was going on, it took a lot of time and energy to get those kids back on track and to trust their teacher over some basketball player again. Wow. We've got BIG problems in this country.

Arguing the concept of a round earth is akin to arguing religion with them. They always have an excuse to any logical retort. Even Neil DeGrasse Tyson failed at convincing them it's round and if he can't do it, nobody can. It's not to slight Neil, no, it's just that some walls of bullshit cannot be breached by logic. They say we don't fall off because we're surrounded by an ice wall and they believe the pre-Copernicus version of orbits.

It's fucking crazy man. It's totally nuts. I didn't believe it for years after that video, now I'm not so sure it was fake, and I found out there's been an active flat earth society since the 1800's. And it has some big names on it's roles.

There are some people out there who are just so fucking out of it that no amount of reasoning with them will make them come to their senses. I have seen "debates" about the most mediocre things rage on and on, to the point of total histrionics, with 99% of the emotional meltdown coming from 9/11 troofers, Flat-Earthers, and other assorted nutcases of that kind.

No matter WHAT evidence is placed in front of them, they will continue to "defend" their cases with more and more outlandish reasons and theories, if you could call them that. It is actually pretty amusing to scroll down and just take in everything from a bystander's perspective.

It is definitely not worth your time or effort to fall down the trap of engaging these people in debates. Nothing will come out of it and you end up losing critical amounts of brain cells and IQ.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
The Coriolis effect convinced me.

When I read the title, it was my first thought. I quickly scanned down to see if anyone beat me to it. It was you...

I was going to say something like, "Do flat-earthers have to turn Coriolis off on their Kestrel AB?"

Wait...I have mine turned off... Does that make ME a flat-eather???:unsure:

The earth is flat. Look at water, it is flat. Therefore earth is flat. Round earth is a capitalist conspiracy.

Reactions: Dirty D
So, in your mind a person who has faith that what they perceive isn’t all there is must be similar to someone who disbelieves easily demonstrable fact? Perhaps it’s you who are the flat earther...
I’m sure I’m being too sensitive, but as a person of faith and conviction I find the premise insulting. As the reality of anti-Christian bigotry has become mainstream, and we have leftists openly administering religious tests to appointed offices, as well as government openly discriminating against churches, anyone who is not sensitive isn’t paying attention. We’re a long way from lions, but clearly that is the direction we are heading at light speed when you consider only two or three generations ago...

@2ndamendfan , you’re right. It was never “a thing”. Sure, a minority of idiots throughout history may have thought this, but even the Mezoamericans knew the earth was round, and the sun the center of the solar system. Eskimos were asked how they knew the Earth was round, and they replied, “just look at the Earth’s sister, the moon, of course it’s round. But, the most basic one that’s been observed since the Phoenicians at least, if you stand on the shore and watch a ship sail away on a clear day it appears to start sinking before you loose sight of it. You can see it traversing the curve of the earth. Celestial navigation is based on spherical geometry. It would not work unless it was on a sphere. There are tons more, but these are the basics.

I think Flat Earth society is just for fun. If someone actually believes it they should probably be institutionalized...

Please let me explain, the reason I brought up religion is because of all the people I've heard argue for flat earth, it doesn't appear to be based in science, it appears to be based on a religious type faith. To counter the flat earth theory is challenging their belief in the flat earth and there is no convincing them otherwise. It seems more of a religion than an observable scientific fact. I'm not trying to make fun of any religion. Fundamentally I don't think science can not prove or disprove the existence of a deity. I can't scientifically disprove that god doesn't exist and that's ok, however I do think the scientific method has shown pretty easily that the earth isn't flat.

Please let me explain, the reason I brought up religion is because of all the people I've heard argue for flat earth, it doesn't appear to be based in science, it appears to be based on a religious type faith. To counter the flat earth theory is challenging their belief in the flat earth and there is no convincing them otherwise. It seems more of a religion than an observable scientific fact. I'm not trying to make fun of any religion. Fundamentally I don't think science can not prove or disprove the existence of a deity. I can't scientifically disprove that god doesn't exist and that's ok, however I do think the scientific method has shown pretty easily that the earth isn't flat.

The existence of our creator can be, and has been, scientifically proven.

Reactions: 4X4Dad