• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Are You Afraid? To compete.

I feel the same and would add to much ego also
LOL. There are no square range faggots (“firearms experts”) at a PRS match, or if there are they STFU around people who can actually do it.
It’s all perspective, but ever since going to my first match, and seeing 3% stickers on most of the trucks in the parking lot, I’ve never felt more at home around a group of mostly strangers.
Not saying there aren’t any assholes, but they’re mostly the good kind. ;)

The fear is as soon as I get that target nerves get the better of me. It takes me 2-3 USPSA stages to remember I have sights....

The only way to get that anxiety under control is to go shoot under conditions that give you anxiety. There's just no other way around it, no matter how hard some people try to convince themselves otherwise.

EVERYONE gets match nerves to some degree. No one is immune. You have to learn to deal with them if you want to compete and there's no way to learn to deal with them besides competing.

The only way to get that anxiety under control is to go shoot under conditions that give you anxiety. There's just no other way around it, no matter how hard some people try to convince themselves otherwise.

EVERYONE gets match nerves to some degree. No one is immune. You have to learn to deal with them if you want to compete and there's no way to learn to deal with them besides competing.
I agree. I don’t shoot near as many matches as I used to and will often “blow” a stage or so, even if I think I’ve got my mind right. Once I shake off those jitters and settle down things go much smoother. It’s a balance.

That scene from Glory when Mather Broderick is firing his pistol right next to the stuttering soldier who is trying to reload...”Train them right!”

Man you hit the nail on the head.

This! The more you compete, the more that anxiety goes out the window. Trust me, I'm the guy that couldn't even look at a person in the eye when I first started. Now, it's just a day out with my buddies.

Also, the more you compete, the more you realize this is just for fun, and the less you care about your impacts. It makes you overall a better shooter if you're relaxed.

Reactions: RRW and Praeger
One thing I struggle with is a gun going off right next to me right as I’m firing. That’s definitely something tough for me to tune out. I try to time my shot in between neighboring shots. It does help to go to a busy public range and just blast away

I was the same way. Best thing to do is double up on the ear pro. You’ll make better shots, even if you can barely hear the spotter call impacts.

I just don't think I am ready to compete as much as I would like to do it, I am considering going to the f-class practice my club has once a month just to get a feel for it.

My 26yo son and I are going to our first competitive shoot next weekend. A Practiscore event with targets to 1200. Have been upgrading our equipment and working up our loads for a few years now and it finally seems we need to go compete and see if all the time and expense will result in some satisfaction. Do not think we are ready but have good idea on the performance of our loads, acceptable equipment, and little bit of gear. Have never shot beyond 300 yds so we do not have great expectations but it is time. Reloading and studying performance of our loads has been Very enjoyable and is extremely relaxing. Ready to put pressure on and stretch our legs, Will get back with a Range report in a week or so. Are We Ready? Only one way to find out!

My 26yo son and I are going to our first competitive shoot next weekend. A Practiscore event with targets to 1200. Have been upgrading our equipment and working up our loads for a few years now and it finally seems we need to go compete and see if all the time and expense will result in some satisfaction. Do not think we are ready but have good idea on the performance of our loads, acceptable equipment, and little bit of gear. Have never shot beyond 300 yds so we do not have great expectations but it is time. Reloading and studying performance of our loads has been Very enjoyable and is extremely relaxing. Ready to put pressure on and stretch our legs, Will get back with a Range report in a week or so. Are We Ready? Only one way to find out!
So long as you get a good zero that morning and borrow someones magneatospeed so you can get a good velocity to plug in for the day youll be fine. If you dont have a chrono just ask the person next to you, they will be glad to let you use it, Im sure. Youre in the squad ahead of me, hope to see you out there!

Have a magnetospeed and will by shooting some on Friday to make any adjustments. Look forward to meeting you there. We will be the ones with the lost look!!!

I didn't see it mentioned already, but I found my first NRL22 match to be a great place to start. First, the fact that you get the course of fire in advance of the match allows you to practice. For me, this was less about "gaming" the match, but allowed me to get a feel for what I need to be able to do in a match. I practiced a couple of the positions and got dope at the required distances. Then, when I went to the match it was less intimidating because I knew what to expect for that specific match. I also think the mental aspect of "only" shooting to 100yds (we had targets to 200 in a bonus) makes it a less stressful. As lowlight mentioned, the range requirements for NRL are a lot less and should be easier to find a match close by.

Wanted to give a range report for my son and my 1st competition this past weekend. As in my previous post I stated we were not ready if you want to make excuses but we where not afraid either. We showed up along with 140 other people with about 30 in the same situation as us i.e. 1st match. There were plenty of Pros, Experts and Marksman in the other classes along with about 30 Gas gun shooters. Squads had 13-14 shooters and there were 10 stages. Ranges on stages went from 310 out to 950 with most targets between 450-650. It was humbling as we found the hard part to be getting a stable shooting position to execute shots. We both were shooting .308 and had many comment that was what they used in the beginning. Most in our squad had custom rifles in 6 or 6.5. No problem just run what ya brung. A pro in our squad was very competitive and ended up winning his class and the overall winner as well. He could not have been more helpful and encouraging to me and my son. Gained valuable knowledge from him thru the day. All others in the squad were friendly and accommodating while letting us try some of there bags to get steady. In the end we both finished in the bottom 1/3. Exceeded expectations and made hits to 750yds. This was a fun day and we will do it again.
Lessons learned
1. Going to the range and working our handloads and getting low ES and SD is fun but does not prepare you for competition as at the range you are shooting under controlled conditions and time. Not so at the match.
2. Start working some challenges while at the range to be prepared for setting up in a competition environment.
3. Get some long range training to learn the nuances of reading wind and range calculations.
No excuses Just Go For IT!

Last edited:
I can definitely remember my first match. I finished dead last. I was anxious going in, frustrated at the beginning of the match and proud as hell when I finished. Everyone in the match helped me and encouraged me. I have been hooked ever since.

Reactions: JeffLebowski

Spot on.

12 year in to the shooting sports (I thought I was immune to nerves). I was winning an invitational with 1 stage to go and $3k for first. Nerves got to me, legs turned to jelly, totally blew out the last stage, which was easy, and finished 4th out of the money.

Reactions: deersniper
I'm not afraid to compete but most gun guys I meet at the range are king douchers. What's the point in competing when you are annoyed by people... Like let's go shoot guys and be annoyed , sounds like a great time ?...

Truth be told... I've just been around too many shitty people. I'd rather be alone than deal with it all.

Instead I just said F it, rented a dozer and made my own range. I might extend my range another 300 yards this year. Time will tell.

I hear what you're saying, but the prs/NRL world is NOTHING like that.

I just started shooting nrl22 last winter and pretty much everyone had been amazing.

It's a completely different class of shooter.

I really suck,I mean I'm bad, and everyone is still super helpful, offer tips, help out, it's a great crowd.

And I'm low key anti social and really enjoy the matches

I’m currently unable to compete because after I finally got a different powder than what I really wanted to shoot pretty dam good, it’s gone now too. Oddly, was able to find the original powders I wanted to use so when I get some time, I’ll start over and maybe since I bought in bulk, I might get to go to a match again lol

Just when I thought I had seen the lamest excuse, I am proven wrong.

I’m not afraid to compete, it just seems to me that this is a rich man’s sport. I can’t possibly keep up on scopes, reloading equipment, tripods, etc.

Another lame excuse. Lame because your perception is absolutely at odds with reality.

Reactions: LloydBraun
I’m afraid to compete because of team squadding. Teams of paid shooters all shooting the same equipment and loads and giving each other dope and wind calls is queer as fuck. Why waist my money? Some folks are good at positional shooting but suck ass at wind reading. Letting their team members call the wind for them is cheating

More lame ass excuses from someone who doesn't understand that sharing wind dope between team members is the way it has always been done in other rifle sports as well.

Reactions: Kartman
I just don't think I am ready to compete as much as I would like to do it

This just drives me fucking insane due to the crazy circular logic involved

If you've never competed in a particular sport, how on earth do you know what it takes to be ready?

You will NOT learn what it takes to be ready by talking or watching. If you talk, you'll just end up confused by a range of opinions ranging from the very sound to the idiotic. If you just watch, you will have no context to make sound decisions based on what you're watching.

Yes, you need to do some basic research to understand the basic (and I do mean basic) safety rules and equipment rules so that you show up with something suitable.

Other than that, the only way you will learn what it takes to be ready to compete is to...…………………...compete.

Reactions: RRW and Kartman
Haven’t read the whole thread. Not sure if the “RO a match first” theory has come up.

IMO, that is about the worst way to go about it. It’s not fair to the new RO and it’s not fair to the shooters.

When I first started these types of matches, the most stressful part was being on glass spotting. There’s a lot of impacts that aren’t so obvious if you don’t know what to look for, especially with 6mm and 224 stuff.

You’ll be more stressed with trying to keep up with shooters and spotting than you will be concerned with watching and learning.

And if you’re not the spotter, unless you have RO’d pistol or 3gun stuff, you like won’t be confident/knowledgeable enough to call someone out on safety or other such rule violations.

And I’ve seen many, many points lost because the only person on glass or the RO wasn’t experienced enough to know that splash 12 feet away after the shooter center punched three in a row was the spawling and it was an impact.

If someone can be just a scorekeeper and not responsible for spotting or safety, that would be a good way to be involved, but not with the stress. But that’s rare you see just a scorekeeper.

The best way to get into these matches is just shoot one. Even if it’s your grandpa’s .270. At club matches, I’ll go out of my way for new or first time shooters. No time, or stop time if they have a top loading hunting rifle and need to top off.

Don’t go to a 2day unless you have someone to keep you in line or there are zero club matches around you. Being alone at a 2 day without experience is gonna be stressful and slow everyone else down.

Nah, I am going to try competing soon. I ordered a new rifle and talked to that woman I sleep with about the drive to the matches, she’s cool :D

tenor.gif

If you don’t compete due to cost, time, travel, or simply no interest that’s one thing...

However if you actually fear it, as in you are afraid to fail then I strongly suggest you try a match. Not competing because your afraid to fail or think others will judge you won’t help you any.

That’s how you get comfortable in life. It’s how you end up with dead end jobs and living a life afraid to exit your comfort zone.

You’ll find most matches consist of people who are sincere and willing to help. If it consists of arrogant asses then yes you won’t enjoy it but not every match will be like that. You also don’t need the most $$ rigs to compete either. I’ve personally seen savage rifles beat up on custom rigs in fclass. As long as you accomplish your goal, be it to have fun,
Improve skill etc than the rest is just a bonus

Reactions: 308pirate
The only downside to shooting matches is the addiction to getting more gear every year. :ROFLMAO:

My local series matches have been a great group of shooters, and always great COF. I think someone posted on SH but I'll paraphrase, no one will care about you, how you shoot, or what you shoot as long as you don't ND or shoot unsafely.

So just go shoot, and have fun.

Haven’t read the whole thread. Not sure if the “RO a match first” theory has come up.

IMO, that is about the worst way to go about it. It’s not fair to the new RO and it’s not fair to the shooters.

When I first started these types of matches, the most stressful part was being on glass spotting. There’s a lot of impacts that aren’t so obvious if you don’t know what to look for, especially with 6mm and 224 stuff.

You’ll be more stressed with trying to keep up with shooters and spotting than you will be concerned with watching and learning.

And if you’re not the spotter, unless you have RO’d pistol or 3gun stuff, you like won’t be confident/knowledgeable enough to call someone out on safety or other such rule violations.

And I’ve seen many, many points lost because the only person on glass or the RO wasn’t experienced enough to know that splash 12 feet away after the shooter center punched three in a row was the spawling and it was an impact.

If someone can be just a scorekeeper and not responsible for spotting or safety, that would be a good way to be involved, but not with the stress. But that’s rare you see just a scorekeeper.

The best way to get into these matches is just shoot one. Even if it’s your grandpa’s .270. At club matches, I’ll go out of my way for new or first time shooters. No time, or stop time if they have a top loading hunting rifle and need to top off.

Don’t go to a 2day unless you have someone to keep you in line or there are zero club matches around you. Being alone at a 2 day without experience is gonna be stressful and slow everyone else down.

From experience, I will second the suggestion to avoid a 2-day match as your first match. I made that mistake. It sucked.

LOL

Yeah that's about the most stupid advice I have ever heard. The RO is a match official. He needs to know WTF is going on and have an above average level of competence in match procedure, competition rules, and safety. All the things a noob completely lacks.

There's a reason why IDPA and USPSA have formal training and qualification programs for their ROs.

Whoever suggests that should be slapped.

when i was learning to golf, i didn't want to actually play on a course and make a fool of myself, even though i could hit the ball pretty well on the driving range.
after some time, i finally stepped onto a golf course and found out most people suck worse than i did.
I'm probably one of them. My golf game sucked.

A lot of what I see at the club is shooters putting a rifle on a range bag, sometimes a reasonable rest, and shooting good groups. They'll come watch a Service Rifle match and say it looks like fun and never show up again. They have a decent rifle, no problem shooting 100 rounds in a morning, but won't shoot a 50 round match on the same range.

Reactions: 308pirate and lash

A lot of what I see at the club is shooters putting a rifle on a range bag, sometimes a reasonable rest, and shooting good groups. They'll come watch a Service Rifle match and say it looks like fun and never show up again. They have a decent rifle, no problem shooting 100 rounds in a morning, but won't shoot a 50 round match on the same range.
i just wish i didn't have to drive hours just to watch a match.

This happens all of the time. Whenever possible I try to convince them to just show up for the match with a rear bag, mags and ammo. I personally think that just watching is more intimidating than participating.

i just wish i didn't have to drive hours just to watch a match.
See my post above. I highly suggest that you just bite the bullet (so to speak) and actually attend the match to shoot. It’s worth it then to drive a few hours. Trust me.;):cool:

I'm happy to see that my post is getting people talking about competing. As a gunsmith I've learned so much stuff about rifles and how people approach them by shooting local matches. I mean, if your a mechanic and don't take the car for a drive you can't fully understand what people need. Good shooting everyone!

The only downside to shooting matches is the addiction to getting more gear every year. :ROFLMAO:

My local series matches have been a great group of shooters, and always great COF. I think someone posted on SH but I'll paraphrase, no one will care about you, how you shoot, or what you shoot as long as you don't ND or shoot unsafely.

So just go shoot, and have fun.
I have to put my two cents in to correct what I have experienced. No one cares how you shoot as long as you are safe, and most will go out of their way to help you especially if you are new or struggling. I have not found it to be the case that no one cares about you. While there are always a few dipshits, in general, the people at most matches are very caring and friendly. There are shooters that have developed closer relationships with my kids than my brother has, who is obviously their uncle.

I'm pretty sure what you meant in your post was that other people don't care if you are an exceptional shooter or a poor shooter as long as you are safe and a good person. I just wanted to post my experience in case someone who is new to match shooting reads this.

Also, I am not a complete noob. This has been my experience for the last 3 years across 25-30 matches. I walk away nearly every match feeling like many of the best people in the country (morally, ethically, personality) have gathered to shoot a match.

I have to put my two cents in to correct what I have experienced. No one cares how you shoot as long as you are safe, and most will go out of their way to help you especially if you are new or struggling. I have not found it to be the case that no one cares about you. While there are always a few dipshits, in general, the people at most matches are very caring and friendly. There are shooters that have developed closer relationships with my kids than my brother has, who is obviously their uncle.

I'm pretty sure what you meant in your post was that other people don't care if you are an exceptional shooter or a poor shooter as long as you are safe and a good person. I just wanted to post my experience in case someone who is new to match shooting reads this.

Also, I am not a complete noob. This has been my experience for the last 3 years across 25-30 matches. I walk away nearly every match feeling like many of the best people in the country (morally, ethically, personality) have gathered to shoot a match.
I agree wholeheartedly. I am bottom half at best at most shoots. Everyone treats me just the same as anyone else. They will give you tips and listen to your stories if you don't rattle on to long. They always ask how you did at your last shoot. The generosity shown to new shooters and reloaders at the prize tables always suprises me. And they take the young ones in and treat them well. I have shot PRS, NRL22 and Benchrest this summer and they have all been full of first class guys. The top shooters sometimes are a little standoffish until you get to know them but they are usually concentrating on what they are doing. I have had no issues at any shoots.

Yea the only competition I find my self craving is with my self , I don't care if your better or worse than me . Or do I even care if I am better or worse than you . I am happy to be the best version of me that I can be at this time flaws in all . Though my inner hoarder does compel me to have the largest collection of fire arms and ammunition in the world ha ha I know it will never really happen my budget is just too small for my grandiose ideas , but until I am dead I will keep trying . never give up never surrender .

Yea, thats what I meant, basically no one will comment about your shooting unless you ask for advice, or you talk a big game then bomb lol

Reactions: RTH1800
Admittedly, haven't read the entire thread. But I shot my first match in May and have been doing monthlies at CCC in Navasota, TX since. Once everyone in my squad knew I was new I was getting tons of tips and everyone wanting to lend me whatever to shoot a stage--and this has been every month since I started.

One big thing for me is if you felt like you're running out of fun things to do at the range, this will open a whole new world of personal challenges and give some meaning to range trips.

One big thing for me is if you felt like you're running out of fun things to do at the range, this will open a whole new world of personal challenges and give some meaning to range trips.

That's a great point.

Personally I get bored very easily when my range trip doesn't have a purpose. I can't plink. I just can't.

Competition gives my shooting meaning:
  • It gives me goals to work to and structure my range sessions around.
  • It provides easily trackable performance metrics

That's a great point.

Personally I get bored very easily when my range trip doesn't have a purpose. I can't plink. I just can't.

Competition gives my shooting meaning:
  • It gives me goals to work to and structure my range sessions around.
  • It provides easily trackable performance metrics
Agreed! I've got friends who just ask me to come to the range to plink away at clays or cans at 100 yards. I just can't do it. I need some kind of goal, or some sort of trackable performance metric like you say.

I also have friends that say they wanna shoot long range but I've taken them to my range (steel out to 1000 yards) and they spend 90% of their time shooting at the 100 yard zero board or steel within 200 yards from a bench. When I tell them to try shooting off the barricade or at some further targets, they literally act scared and say that they "aren't ready for that yet". It's not even competition, but they're literally afraid to shoot something out of their comfort zone. Why? I don't know. People care way too much about what other people think.

So what if they miss? They'll learn more missing out at 500 yards from a barricade than you will hitting a paper target at 100 from a bench.

I also have friends that say they wanna shoot long range but I've taken them to my range (steel out to 1000 yards) and they spend 90% of their time shooting at the 100 yard zero board or steel within 200 yards from a bench. When I tell them to try shooting off the barricade or at some further targets, they literally act scared and say that they "aren't ready for that yet".

I'm sure you've offered to coach them through it. What did they say to that?

Me and my son started looking for a match a few years ago. Found a Quantified Performance gas gun match at the Arena in Blakely,Ga because it was close. Have shot everyone they throw on and another one in South Carolina with friends we made at The Arena. Even put one on for 20 shooters at our hunting land. Ive improved every match ive shot in which is my goal. Came in dead last in the first one so only place i had to go was up....lol

Reactions: JeffLebowski