• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Argentina dove/ duck/ stag hunt shotgun needed

Jason Wells

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
Staunton VA
Well, turns out I get to head to Argentina in March for some dove and duck hunting with a chance at winning a red stag tag while there. I'll be taking my Encore 300 Win. Mag. for the stag but I need to upgrade my shotgun. I've been using a BPS for years and the thing is just so heavy and long to swing, especially if shooting hundreds of rounds a day. I've shot and love the Beretta A400 and was wondering how this stacks up to some of the Benelli's. I am not a real traditional kind of guy when it comes to guns but I love the look and feel of a wood stocked A400, but then I look at a full camo Benelli and think it would be great for turkey as well. I've always wanted a nice double barrel too.

I don't have a lot of shotgunning experience so I'm asking for a little help from you more experienced shooters. I need to get a gun bought soon so I can put a few hundreds rounds in at the skeet ranger before I leave.

Thanks!

Benelli makes a specific model named after Córdoba Argentina. It's perfect for what you are looking for. The A 400 is nice two. I have several Benelli shotguns, love them. If you want a Turkey gun as well look at the Super Vinci. My cousins love Baretta... so either way you will be fine. PM me if you live in CA Mt best friend is the Benelli rep.

Benelli all they way. In Arkansas it is the go to gun for duck hunting. I have two one Super Black Eagle and a Legacy Great Shotguns.

Don't discount the new a-5 or maxus, I would avoid the versa max. The benelli sbeII is nice and so is the m2. If budget is a concern look into the franchi affinity, I have owned all the previous and still hunt with a franchi I-12 exclusively(there built in the same plant as benelli)

I think it's a bit ugly, but the Benelli Cordoba is a nice gun that fits me well and points like my finger. It gets great reviews and I love the gripping inserts on the stock and forearm, this one may get my vote.

I would personally give alot of thought to a 20 gauge regardless of what model you go with

I agree with Duke, whatever you get make it a 20.
I would look at whatever guns THEY supply.
that's model you want. They have more experience
with the ones that are holding up to 10,2000plus
rounds per season.

I have a camo Benelli M2 12ga w/ 24" barrel that's LNIB if you're interested. I was going to post on GunBroker for $1050 + $30 for insured shipping but if you'd like dibs, just shoot me a PM.....

A pretty good percentage of hunters will end up shooting a gun that belongs to the outfitter. The gun they end up with will probably be a Beretta. While shotguns from both brands will serve most hunters a lifetime, the ones with the Beretta name are better built than their Benelli counterparts, IMHO.

Benelli cordoba is the one to get. If I didn't have a SBEII that's what I would have. Closing in on 5k on my benelli with one thorough clean and one wipe down of the bolt and breach! Runs like a champ

I do a lot of duck hunting with guys who use both Berettas and Benellis (I have a Beretta only). They always talk about how the Benellis beat the shit out of them if you put a lot of rounds down 'em and those same guys talk about how easy the recoil is on the Beretta's. I'd go with the Beretta personally (gas operated = recoil reduction), just keep it clean and dry.

I've been about a dozen times I would recommend a 20g. I usually take two but either will do. I take a benelli ultra light, and a Browning Citori 525. I hunt ducks AM perdieze mid day and dove late afternoon. Shots tend to be close and fast so shorter barrels work better. The quality of shells is not great and gets worse with smaller calibers - my son shoots 410 and 28g but found the muzzle velocity to be way low which left poor patterns. A 12g is fine also but will trash the Perdize and tend to beat you up a bit more when you will not need the reach. You will shoot 120-150 rds on ducks 20-25 perdize and 400-1000rds on dove. If you get the chance wood pigeon are also very fun but hard as they are super fast.

I went down for ducks and dove and shot the outfitters 12 gauge beretta autoloader in the AM and his 20 gauge beretta autoloader in the PM. 4 box limit for ducks, we would shoot, on average 15-20 boxes on dove per day.

Whatever you bring, make sure its an auto - friends had over/unders - want more than two shots with the volume of shooting and the recoil dampening of an auto loader. I would take my beretta or benelli - both are are great guns.

Here's a key tip - especially if you are going for more than a couple of days. Get an EVO-SHIELD. EvoShield ShooterShield Men's Olive/Black

It is a gel pack that hardens when you expose it to air. it fits in a sleeve on an undershirt and after opening the pack - you mount your gun several times over the course of 5 mins and it contours to your shoulder and gun mount. Might seem like a lot, but my friends were black and blue and really hurting on the later days of our trip. You get used to it quickly, does not mess with your shooting.

Have fun.

A friend of mine who has made numerous trips strongly recommends that you take a matching pair of Benelli or Beretta 3" 20 gauge auto guns. Shoot the 3" for ducks and regular 2 3/4" for doves.

He says having two is the only way to go, due to the volume of shells shot, and says that the recoil reduction of the auto is nice. He also recomends taking some good shooting gloves as doing that many reloads will tear up your hands.

I've been to Argentina dove hunting several times. The only guns that stood up to the abuse of that many rounds were my benelli m2s. I was shooting a 12 all day long with no issue. Their gas recoil reduction system is top notch. A 20 would work too. Without doubt, buy a benelli. Best auto loading shotgun on the market hands down IMHO, as many other here seem to agree.

if you want a 12 gauge that can do everything and like pump shotguns..... don't rule out the good old Mossberg 835! It'll shoot 2 3/4, 3, 3.5" shells with zero modifications. I know a guy here in Missouri who hunts boars on horseback n he told me he needs a new one since after 10 years of shooting he wore the barrel out of it! I've had mine for 20 yrs and it will do anything/ everything. Hell, I came back from overseas after letting my brother use it duck hunting and it still ran fine.. good cleaning revealed leaves n stuff... haha. So if you want to shoot dove light loads all the way up to 3.5" steel or lead... give it a try; I love mine!

One word AUTOLOADER, and +1 0n the EVO-shield. Beretta or Benelli I have both and neither has ever let me down. just my .02$

+ 1 for benelli I have the super black eagle and you just can't go wrong with it it's just a great all around gun

Do you have the option of renting a lodge gun? Most places will have 12/20 Beretta/Benelli auto's that you can rent on the cheap.