• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

I've acquired an M24 System but it's missing the Remington Palma Front and Rear Sights and the Flash Suppressor. Can anyone help me find these parts to complete my System.

Just be patient, the parts can be had...... We've all gone through / going through the process of acquiring the pieces to complete out kits. Check your bases to see if they are Redfields or OK Weber / RPA. I bought a set of correct M24 RPA sights here on the Hide, recently picked up a flash hider for a very reasonable price, and also got the LSU polarizer & EMA/ARD.

Look long and hard, the deals are out there!

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep me posted if you find any reasonably priced items.
Just be patient, the parts can be had...... We've all gone through / going through the process of acquiring the pieces to complete out kits. Check your bases to see if they are Redfields or OK Weber / RPA. I bought a set of correct M24 RPA sights here on the Hide, recently picked up a flash hider for a very reasonable price, and also got the LSU polarizer & EMA/ARD.

Look long and hard, the deals are out there!

Sadly I believe he's a Hide member. Yes it's his part and can ask what he wants but still.................

I looked at the ad the otherday but see now it's gone, either sold or pulled it.

Hello I wanted to know what the Leupold Ultra m3 10x looks like , And how many Leupolds have been on top of the Remington M24 , thank you geoff3

The Ultra M3a and Mark 4 M3/LRT are discusse and pictured back on page 9 of this thread, as for how many were used on the M24, roughly 4500, add to that any that were replaced and take away the number of Mark 4 M3/LRT used on later production rifles.

M24 build back

Finally got my M24 inspired build back from my smith, very happy with his work. The Gun-Kote finish on the barreled action is a little glossier than I would have liked (OCD strikes again) so I'm either going to scuff it up with a 400 grit or 600 grit scotch brite pad to dull it up a little or send it back to have it re-coated in a more matte finish.

I included some photos of the standard floor plate,adl box magazine and Badger M24 scope rail if I want to return it to box stock condition. As I mentioned before I wanted to have one of the hybrid versions seen on "Top Sniper" by adding the Badger M24 DBM and MARS rail.

Still have to build the OD duct tape cheek rest, but am thinking of making something out of Kydex and black mouse pads so I can take it on and off easier for cleaning.

Will try to get range report added tomorrow. I apologize for the lower quality cel phone pics will try to get some better ones taken.

New build is next to my M40A5 inspired and Mk13 Mod 0 inspired Rem 700s

Mick Mcphee in Kamloops did the metal work. He builds really nice stuff. I'm pretty sure he sends it out for the coatings but I don't know to whom.

To cover my bases I'm posting this question here and in the M24R thread too. Here's a picture of my optics case as it stands, I've collected all the pieces parts to complete the kit but I'm left wondering what originally was in the empty spot in the lower left of the case?

image_zps0b2f321d.jpg

To cover my bases I'm posting this question here and in the M24R thread too. Here's a picture of my optics case as it stands, I've collected all the pieces parts to complete the kit but I'm left wondering what originally was in the empty spot in the lower left of the case?

image_zps0b2f321d.jpg

I dont remember ever seeing anything in that space... I thought at first it was the flash hider, but it goes in the rifle case...

Just went through the owner's manual, I dont see any mention of anything going in that space. I might be wrong..

The scope takes much of the space in the day optic case. Since its on my rifle, I thought I'd remove the foam and use the case to carry additional items and stuff. Makes everything a little less 'cramped' ;). Well, not really... loll

Got up to the range this week and zeroed the M24 build, used a box of FGMM and tried some hand loads with 175 SMK,

Some of the groups were fired with the M40A5 build which was also zeroed during the same range session.

RECOIL PAD:

What are the available options to get a recoil pad, similar to the original pad
a) in thickness
b) that is molded as "REMINGTON", rather than "HS PRECISION"

Are there any other pads from other Remignton products (ex. a particular older shotgun model, etc.) that are a "close" substitute ?
I can't imagine Remington will sell them at a reasonable price...:mad:

I think you can get Remington recoil pads from Brownell's, but I don't know what it takes to remove the old "HS PRECISION" one from the stock. I need to do the same on mine, but was going to refer to the photos here for thickness and then order a black factory pad off a 700 PSS or similar. The pad on my old 700 MLR looked like it would have worked.

I see what you mean, they have changed the style! My old 2008 vintage MLR had the proper style "Remington" marked recoil pad. Time to start checking Cabelas for old stock or eBay perhaps......

Beautiful gun, thanks for sharing the pictures. I really like the look of that Badger DBM. I need to pick one up.

Finally got my M24 inspired build back from my smith, very happy with his work. The Gun-Kote finish on the barreled action is a little glossier than I would have liked (OCD strikes again) so I'm either going to scuff it up with a 400 grit or 600 grit scotch brite pad to dull it up a little or send it back to have it re-coated in a more matte finish.

I included some photos of the standard floor plate,adl box magazine and Badger M24 scope rail if I want to return it to box stock condition. As I mentioned before I wanted to have one of the hybrid versions seen on "Top Sniper" by adding the Badger M24 DBM and MARS rail.

Still have to build the OD duct tape cheek rest, but am thinking of making something out of Kydex and black mouse pads so I can take it on and off easier for cleaning.

Will try to get range report added tomorrow. I apologize for the lower quality cel phone pics will try to get some better ones taken.

New build is next to my M40A5 inspired and Mk13 Mod 0 inspired Rem 700s

RECOIL PAD:

What are the available options to get a recoil pad, similar to the original pad
a) in thickness
b) that is molded as "REMINGTON", rather than "HS PRECISION"

Are there any other pads from other Remignton products (ex. a particular older shotgun model, etc.) that are a "close" substitute ?
I can't imagine Remington will sell them at a reasonable price...:mad:

Attempts have been made in the past to remove/install recoil pads on HS Precision stocks. All failures. Even if you succeed, it will show. I wouldnt mess with it.

I must agree. Remington's contract buttplate assembly is different from the HS-Precision buttplate assembly. I use the word "assembly" because it's not just the rubber pad that's different. The plate assembly the pad is attached to is different. If you attempt to remove the standard HS pad from the plate assembly you'll see. I wish I had photos to show it. The assembly Remington contracted for is simply a flat plate that the butt pad is screwed to. The plate normaly found on commerical HS PST-024 stocks is first off not threaded because the pad is glued to the plate but the plate itself is different to the point that you can't just simply drill two holes and thread them for a contract butt pad. I can't explain what it looks like, I've only seen it once but DON'T waste your time and money by trying to cut the pad off a commercial HS butt plate assembly, you'll regret it. Leave it alone.

The Remington M24 came with 2 different kinds of sights Palma and I dont know the name of the 2nd one ,will both rear sights fit into the same reciever base ? Or do you need 2 different sight bases for each rear sight ?

Early M24s came with a Redfield Palma rear sight and Redfield International "Big Bore" front sight. I don't know the specific time frame of the change.

Later models came with an RPA Trakker rear sight and (I'm guessing here) and RPA fixed front sight -used to have one looked a lot like the Redfield Big Bore.

The Redfield rear sight uses a sight base with a single tapered side groove that is pretty standard for all American manufactured micrometer target sights (Warner, Zelenak, etc) As you might guess this pattern base is often referred to as "Redfield pattern"

The RPA rear sight base uses smaller v-grooves typical for the mounting of English or Commonwealth micrometer target sights (Central, Parker Hale etc) The bases are different for the two sights but do attach to the rifle the same and look "similar".

I think RPA equipped rifles use a taller front sight base also. There are good photos of both types earlier in this post.

Thank you njohn890 I have almost everything I need for my M24 build , I dont know what manuels come with the rifle from Remington I have the optics box deployment kit Leupold Ultra10x scope rings and the big case ,just picked up the M24 trigger cannot wait to get the rifle in my hands ...

Does Remington sell the butt plate assembly that will fit the H-S tocks ?

Yes they do, however you must own a factory M24 with a verifiable serial number to get them, replacement parts only is the stance they take on the issue I think.

Dang, that trigger is a hard one to source. Where did you find one?

Hello I see a rifle for sale and I bought it off the guy selling the rifle ,the last one on this forum sold for $450 and it was only for sale for a short time ,I paid $400 for the trigger and unless you find it first someone will buy the trigger . And now I am looking for a another trigger for a future build ,geoff3

Early M24s came with a Redfield Palma rear sight and Redfield International "Big Bore" front sight. I don't know the specific time frame of the change.

Later models came with an RPA Trakker rear sight and (I'm guessing here) and RPA fixed front sight -used to have one looked a lot like the Redfield Big Bore.

The Redfield rear sight uses a sight base with a single tapered side groove that is pretty standard for all American manufactured micrometer target sights (Warner, Zelenak, etc) As you might guess this pattern base is often referred to as "Redfield pattern"

The RPA rear sight base uses smaller v-grooves typical for the mounting of English or Commonwealth micrometer target sights (Central, Parker Hale etc) The bases are different for the two sights but do attach to the rifle the same and look "similar".

I think RPA equipped rifles use a taller front sight base also. There are good photos of both types earlier in this post.

Hello thank you I have the Redfield bases already now to look for the RPA , and sightts too,geoff3

m24's are crap, stop trying to find parts, you dont want them

Hello VJJPunisher I picked the M24 because its the only rifle /kit that caught my eye and I can buy parts for .And a couple of my friends told me the same thing and they have M24's and use them for work , they told me to get a different rifle but I choose the M24 ,geoff3

I emailed HS and asked if I could purchase a bare butt plate, less recoil pad and hardware, will wait to see what they say. Figured I could have it drilled for the 2 screws and attach a factory Remington (old style) PSS style recoil pad to it and not have to butcher my existing one....

On another note regarding the M24 trigger, I noticed the X Mark pro adjustable trigger has a similar block on the lower rear of the trigger housing which also acts as a stop for the adjustment screw. I thought I might cannibalize one and transfer the block, adjustment screw and spring to a standard trigger. Just have to drill/tap a hole in the trigger shoe and re-rivet the block into the trigger housing. Yeah that already sounds like a lot of work but given the scarcity of these units it seemed like the only way to come up with the parts to make a reasonable copy.

On another note regarding the M24 trigger, I noticed the X Mark pro adjustable trigger has a similar block on the lower rear of the trigger housing which also acts as a stop for the adjustment screw. I thought I might cannibalize one and transfer the block, adjustment screw and spring to a standard trigger. Just have to drill/tap a hole in the trigger shoe and re-rivet the block into the trigger housing. Yeah that already sounds like a lot of work but given the scarcity of these units it seemed like the only way to come up with the parts to make a reasonable copy.

Similar, but different enough that it wont work. The block is much bigger on the M24, and the X-Mark Pro trigger mecanism is also different. Disassemble one and you'll see that it is much easier to modify a regular trigger.

Hello I see a rifle for sale and I bought it off the guy selling the rifle ,the last one on this forum sold for $450 and it was only for sale for a short time ,I paid $400 for the trigger and unless you find it first someone will buy the trigger . And now I am looking for a another trigger for a future build ,geoff3

For those paying ridiculous amounts of money for a M24 trigger...

Mike Lau at TBA will modify any old style Remington trigger for 95$. Maybe you just paid $$$$ for a 40$ trigger that's been modified. I've seen only 2 REAL triggers for sale. Both came with test and proofing paperwork, and still covered in the Rem-Tuff coating. That's the real deal.

There is no reason to pay that much money for a simple modification. Most gunsmith will do it.

A cheap mod would be to drill a hole and insert an ajustement screw for the correct look. Simple as that.

Similar, but different enough that it wont work. The block is much bigger on the M24, and the X-Mark Pro trigger mecanism is also different. Disassemble one and you'll see that it is much easier to modify a regular trigger.

For those paying ridiculous amounts of money for a M24 trigger...

Mike Lau at TBA will modify any old style Remington trigger for 95$. Maybe you just paid $$$$ for a 40$ trigger that's been modified. I've seen only 2 REAL triggers for sale. Both came with test and proofing paperwork, and still covered in the Rem-Tuff coating. That's the real deal.

There is no reason to pay that much money for a simple modification. Most gunsmith will do it.

A cheap mod would be to drill a hole and insert an ajustement screw for the correct look. Simple as that.
Thats sounds good I have an extra old style Remington trigger thanks ..

Where could I look at pictures of the different Leupold's that have been used on the M24's ..

Page 9 of this thread has pictures and description of optics and mountings.

2 scopes were/are used on the M24: Leupold & Stevens Ultra M3A 10X replaced by the Leupold MK4 LR/T 10X M3 somewhere mid 90's if I remember correctly.

My has a M24 that he uses for work NYPD I will get pictures of the rifle its NYPD on the barrel its looks nice will get the pictures up tomorrow .geoff3