• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

I contacted Eagle Industries regarding the Drag Bag and HSRC (last produced in 2009)

GOOD NEW: They can manufacture them as an "OEM" order from the original designs if at least 51 pieces (each) are ordered.

BAD NEWS:

DRGBG-OD $965.81 each minimum order 51
HSRC-OD $1029.19 each minimum order 51

Wow.... it was 300$ brand new.....

EDIT: Guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Galati is an exact copy of the discontinued HSRC from Eagle... At 225$, I wouldnt mind a slight difference from the HSRC.

Deluxe Shooters Mat - Olive Drab - Galati Gear | Galati International

SM4812O.jpg

Last edited:
Flambeau 50042 looks like the exact same case to me (except the length as mentioned by eodsix). I bet they are the supplier. If thats true, well, a lot of people paid A LOT for a 14$ plastic case......

Yes, but think of all the time and money that went into generating the Mil-Spec for the case ?
Not to mention the incoming inspection procedure, and test criteria.

And then there are the foam inserts....those have GOT to jack the price up, don't you think ?

Remember the old joke about the $3000 milspec hammer ?

This is an $800 Mil-Spec toolbox.

(In an earlier post I had asked one of the gov suppliers for a quote, using the NSN for the optics case. I could get one, but it was $800...IIRC)

Last edited:
Anybody care to post their reloading data?

I use the same load, old school yes but it has never failed to shoot round, small groups in every 308 I have. Brass is usually Fed (used LC in my M1A) with 41.0-41.5 of IMR 4895, a 210M or WLR, or CCI, 175 SMK loaded to 2.810" in an Obermeyer chamber. Velocity out of a 24" barrel was always in the 2520-2550 range. Shoots the same group size (MOA-wise) to 600m, past that up to 1000 I used Varget loaded for 2650-2700 fps which grouped a little larger but stayed supersonic and grouped well out to 1000 yds.

Not a very exotic load but shoots well at the shorter ranges and brass and barrels last a long,long time. The targets I posted a couple of pages back were 2 different 308's with that same load and shot the same 4/10th-ish groups as their best. If I shot more 800-1000 stuff I would probably use another load, like the Varget loading, but for 600 and under the 4895 load works great for me.

On another note where do you guys find the M24 day optics cases? Is there the occasional sighting on eBay? I keep checking but guess I just have to be patient. I did order that Hardigg case that was linked from here a few weeks ago, going to be picking it up from the post office next week.

Last edited:
A lot of day optic cases have been sold here on the Hide. I've seen a few on eBay, maybe 3-4. Follow this thread and post a Wanted ad.

Last one on Ebay sold for $150 + shipping (and was GRAY, I think with the foam had a bit of wear and tear)

I've asked a few of the Hide's "M24 Thread Followers" to keep an eye out for me.

And yes, I have a "Looking for M24 Accessories" in the Wanted section http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-sws-accessories-post3089995.html#post3089995

Also, I have a "Looking to Trade my Khaki Eagle Drag bag for your OD" in the Trade section also http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...my-khaki-your-od-post3089954.html#post3089954

(Pictures on Ebay of the Drag Bag looked OD...I should have asked, but I didn't...and ended up with a new/unused Khaki bag)

MODS: If posting the links for these ads here crosses any "forum rules" lines, please delete the links or tell me and I'll do it...no questions asked.
I don't consider myself a "trouble maker"...and I don't want you to, either :cool:

I contacted Eagle Industries regarding the Drag Bag and HSRC (last produced in 2009)

GOOD NEW: They can manufacture them as an "OEM" order from the original designs if at least 51 pieces (each) are ordered.

BAD NEWS:

DRGBG-OD $965.81 each minimum order 51
HSRC-OD $1029.19 each minimum order 51

Im using the Condor drag bag. Almost a duplicate of the Eagle DRGBG. Cost around $80.

Original Eagle bags with krylon dusting, tears, broken zippers, and missing shoulder harnesses sell for $300 all day long.

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/Condor-130.aspx

Last edited:
Optics case exact dimensions are 18 x 6 3/8 x 4 5/8, in inches, just measured my gray case, the newer black cases may be a tad wider than 6 3/8 due to the new latch design.

I have seen the cases sold with M3a scopes as well, you may find one in a package deal but you can always resell the extras.

The first instance of the black case I can date was 2003, my rifle is circa 2006 and came with a black one, my gray case was issued with a C prefix rifle, when exactly they changed color and latches is anyones guess...

Last edited:
Its a shame the Army didn't go with the AICS stock for the new issue rifles. I'm not saying the tube handguard chassis don't work but I can barely get myself to like any chassis, and if its going to be one better it be a flat bottom forend like the AI stuff or other domestic venders(Or AI with viper skins or something). The HS stocks made for remington actions are almost too round in the forend for me even though techincaly a flat-bottom oval. The HS Winchester varmint(original FN police) stock is preffered as its a bit flatter. I know the PST011/012/024 etc are roughly based on some of the fatter 40Xb styles going back decades but even the 40xb can come with a flatter bottom beavertail like the rangemaster varmint.
Sorry for the rant I just hate bolt-guns with AR style forrends, Serious pet-peeve of mine!

BTW re-read above post that you said Match, at first I automatically thought it was SB, sounds like a wicked deal!

The Army should have bought the MSR and surplused the M24s through CMP, would have made future upgrades to another caliber much easier and cost effective.

Optics case exact dimensions are 18 x 6 3/8 x 4 5/8, in inches, just measured my gray case, the newer black cases may be a tad wider than 6 3/8 due to the new latch design.

I have seen the cases sold with M3a scopes as well, you may find one in a package deal but you can always resell the extras.

The first instance of the black case I can date was 2003, my rifle is circa 2006 and came with a black one, my gray case was issued with a C prefix rifle, when exactly the changed color and latches is anyones guess...

Thank you, Red6Actual !!!

It's legit, Remington Defense introduced the USR around 2009 but I don't know if it's still available. It's based on the LTR but the similarities end there I believe as everything else is different from the stock to the threaded barrel, to the dbm.

It's legit, Remington Defense introduced the USR around 2009 but I don't know if it's still available. It's based on the LTR but the similarities end there I believe as everything else is different from the stock to the threaded barrel, to the dbm.

Right. Forgot to take a look at Remignton Defense web site ;). We learn something new every day

Picked up my Hardigg case from the PO box, its the one that was linked from here a month or so ago. Its in good shape, good foam, good seals just a few scratches on the exterior for character. I have ordered a Pelican 1120, and the Flambeau case listed above. Will update once the Flambeau case is received with how close in size it is...

I see now how the rifle doesn't fit with the longer HS recoil pad even with the LOP adjustment all the way in.

Could anyone either post or PM me details of the straps and buckles on the day optic case along with detail of how the strap is riveted to the case? I'm thinking a simple nylon cargo strap might be sourced that is similar with a buckle that is the same.

Thanks in advance,

The buckles are riveted to the bottom of the case. I had a case that had the foam removed. I sold it a while back. No pictures of the inside...

Tried to remove the foam from the last case I have, it wont move... Its probably glued in place.

Could anyone either post or PM me details of the straps and buckles on the day optic case along with detail of how the strap is riveted to the case? I'm thinking a simple nylon cargo strap might be sourced that is similar with a buckle that is the same.

Rather thn PM, I'd be appreciative if that info was posted here, instead. :D

I've acquired an Eagle HSRC (Made in USA version).
It seems to be missing the tie down strap that attaches to the webbing for the stock end
(missing piece shown here, from a web pic)

Stock Strap.JPG

and 2 snap-in lammy suade panels
(panels and web/strap shown here from web pic)

HSRC.jpg

Did the typical HSRC's available for the M24 have the 2 panels and tiedown strap included with it ?

I've looked online for some closeup pics of this tie-down strap (the above is the best I could find).

Could someone post some closeup pics of the tie-down strap/buckles, along with some aprox dimensions and material types so I can try to fabricate a copy ?

Are the buckles plastic or metal ?
Is the cord/strap paracord or shock cord or webbing ?

Thanks...

Last edited:

That's the real deal. The 'two confirmed kill' mention doesnt had any value IMO... All M24 rebuilds have seen some action and MAY have some kills... How can we know. There is no 'kill' authenticity certificate ;)

2nd variant with the OK Weber iron sights bases. The thin buttpad is correct for a M24. I would ask for the serial number and a closer pic of the "Remington Model 700 M24" marking.

That's the real deal. The 'two confirmed kill' mention doesnt had any value IMO... All M24 rebuilds have seen some action and MAY have some kills... How can we know. There is no 'kill' authenticity certificate ;)

2nd variant with the OK Weber iron sights bases. The thin buttpad is correct for a M24. I would ask for the serial number and a closer pic of the "Remington Model 700 M24" marking.

I am on the same page totally. I too was thinking I'd want a better picture of the M24 marking. I am a wisher, not a player though.

So this guy is selling stolen government property of what?

No military M24 serial numbered receivers have been released to the public to my knowledge. This guy claims the rifle took itself to a war zone, not once but twice and single handedly killed two people without the aid of a human being. This is one hell of a rifle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,is it named "Christine"?

The lack of information means this story can only appeal to army surplus store commandos. Maybe the guy I met at the last gun show will buy it, he had Carlos Hathcock's Mosin Nagant sniper rifle in his personal collection. He showed it to me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it even had Century Arms import marks. "they came like that from 'nam." or so he said.

So this guy is selling stolen government property of what?

No military M24 serial numbered receivers have been released to the public to my knowledge. This guy claims the rifle took itself to a war zone, not once but twice and single handedly killed two people without the aid of a human being. This is one hell of a rifle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,is it named "Christine"?

The lack of information means this story can only appeal to army surplus store commandos. Maybe the guy I met at the last gun show will buy it, he had Carlos Hathcock's Mosin Nagant sniper rifle in his personal collection. He showed it to me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it even had Century Arms import marks. "they came like that from 'nam." or so he said.

Sounds like you dont know about the M24 rebuild program.

A lot of military issued M24 were sold to the general public with CAT1 and CAT2 accreditation. 2000 of them actually (probably less in reality). Rifles were refurbished, and sold as is. Most still have war paint, marks, damages and whatnot. Where did you read that the rifle took itself to a war zone? I dont understand what you mean...

Stolen property.. Nope. Probably a rebuilt. Like I said in my previous post, there is no authenticity papers. I agree with that. But you are wrong about "no military M24 serial numbered receivers have been released to the public". You should read this thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...es/123740-m24-rebuild-anyone-recieve-one.html

Last edited:

That's the real deal there. A post 2001 M24. Nice rifle. The description is pretty good but it has some faults to it though. As for it being a Army contract rifle and/or a rebuild, it's anyone's guess till you see the serial number. The photo doesn't show a close up of the SN# and therefore you can't see the "U.S." stamp above it. It's quite possible that it's a contractor's or an OGA's weapon not a rebuilt Army weapon. Both contractor's weapons and the rebuilds will not have a "U.S." stamping. There is also some limited evidence that states that there were some late model M24s in US Army service that also did not have a "U.S." stamping. From close examination of the photo, it appears to have a "F3" serial number receiver which put's it in the right time frame, 2001-2003. If it is an "F" then it's not a rebuild.

He got it wrong for you builders of clones as to the stock, it's a PST-024 stock not a 011. As to the "Afghan Desert Camo" pattern, well there is no pattern like that. It probably works fairly well there though. Lastly, the longest recorded confirmed kill with a 7.62.51mm rifle was made by MSG Gilliland in Iraq with his M24 out to 1375 meters.

Such as it is though, not worth $9000. Doesn't say if the system is complete, and as for the confirmed kill part, who knows. Embellishment?

Last edited:
Prototypes didn't have US over serial or "M24" next to model number. Check out NRA national firearm museum XM-24.

http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum...rm/remington-xm24-sniper-rifle-prototype.aspx

Closeup photo shows B prefix action-no "U.S." It has a bedded scope base;-some B prefix's had low rear bridge which would require bedding the base in the rear, though this rifle's scope base maybe is bedded to shim for added MOA as its 300winmag. I don't know if prototypes would count towards an issue rifle or not, if anyone knows whether any prototype actions got rebuilt into issue rifles or if they stayed as special inventory or private collection, would be interesting to know. My guess is all issue rifles used operationally were strictly production and none of the prototypes were sent into the field, but that's just an educated guess.

Last edited:
The XM24 rifle in the NRA Museum is likely a bid sample/prototype which would have been submitted Nov of 1986, it is doubtful that configuration would have went past that point. Initial Production and First Article test rifles were submitted in Oct of 1987 and appear to have been complete systems for comprehensive testing. The first 100 systems were delivered on Nov 4 1988 and continued for a total of 2510.
All of the IPT and FAT rifles were rebarelled after testing and sent into service.

Everyone seems to baulk at the cost of the M24 SWS, back in 1988 the first 500 systems cost the taxpayer $4995 each and $3980 for the rest of the contract, higher cost of the first 500 due soley to the testing needed to meet Army requirements. As of 2000 the cost of the system was $6000 on the commercial market and seem to hover around 8500 plus today.
Remington put alot of its own resources into the M24 and had to pass some of that on to the end user as any business does, they spent $35K alone on the design and fabrication of the machine to accurately measure trigger pull and trigger pull retention.
Take the M110 for example, they cost taxpayers @13K for a weapon they essentially were already manufacturing and compare that to the $3500 price tag of the Superb Larue OBR???

Should we all run out an pay full retail for a rifle, hell no hunt for the deal out there, I got my SWS for 4500 and am glad I did.

Fact is the US government pays alot for some outstanding gear and also some simple shit that my kids could easily destroy in minutes.

Last edited:
That's the real deal there. A post 2001 M24. Nice rifle. The description is pretty good but it has some faults to it though. As for it being a Army contract rifle and/or a rebuild, it's anyone's guess till you see the serial number. The photo doesn't show a close up of the SN# and therefore you can't see the "U.S." stamp above it. It's quite possible that it's a contractor's or an OGA's weapon not a rebuilt Army weapon. Both contractor's weapons and the rebuilds will not have a "U.S." stamping. There is also some limited evidence that states that there were some late model M24s in US Army service that also did not have a "U.S." stamping. From close examination of the photo, it appears to have a "F3" serial number receiver which put's it in the right time frame, 2001-2003. If it is an "F" then it's not a rebuild.

He got it wrong for you builders of clones as to the stock, it's a PST-024 stock not a 011. As to the "Afghan Desert Camo" pattern, well there is no pattern like that. It probably works fairly well there though. Lastly, the longest recorded confirmed kill with a 7.62.51mm rifle was made by MSG Gilliland in Iraq with his M24 out to 1375 meters.

Such as it is though, not worth $9000. Doesn't say if the system is complete, and as for the confirmed kill part, who knows. Embellishment?

You got that right, if the buyer only gets what is pictured in the auction his pricing is way off, hell my M24 was said to have been over in the sand box and may have seen action too but the only kills I can confirm with it are white tail deer...

I have pictures of an E prefix M24 with the US stamping, all post 2000 accents and it was for sale on the commercial market.

I also have personal knowledge that some legit US marked M24s are in private hands but they are few and far between.

Last edited:
I just received the Flambeau case that james_bond_007 linked to and it appears (without the benefit of direct comparison) to be very similar if not the same case....

It fits into the space in the foam perfectly and looks the same less the straps and foam liner of course. The case measures 4.75"x 6.25" x 18"

Now its time to procure some straps and a sheet of 1" EVA grey foam and I can have my own ersatz optics case.

Not bad for $14.00

I just received the Flambeau case that james_bond_007 linked to and it appears (without the benefit of direct comparison) to be very similar if not the same case....

It fits into the space in the foam perfectly and looks the same less the straps and foam liner of course. The case measures 4.75"x 6.25" x 18"

>>Images deleted to save space<<

Now its time to procure some straps and a sheet of 1" EVA grey foam and I can have my own ersatz optics case.

Not bad for $14.00

You are referring to Flambeau P/N 50042, right ?
Wonder why Flambeau listed it as 15 5/8" x 4 15/16" x 4 11/16" (39.69 x 12.54 x 11.91 cm) ? (Perhaps these are inside dimensions ?)

However, I'll take your word on the dimensions and
Now that I know it fits, I'll order mine :cool:

Please post the straps and buckles you use, so we can get the experts to comment on how close they are.

Perhaps someone can tell us some things about the foam:

BOTTOM

1) Is it ONE think piece or a couple of thinner pieces laminated together ?
2) If laminated, how thick are the laminates ?
3) How deep are the cuts ?
4) Any chance someone can make a 1:1 photocopy and post it ?
(If so, I will make a dimensioned drawing and post it)
5) Any idea of the density of the EVA foam ?

1) How thick are the pieces ?
2) Any chance someone can make a 1:1 photocopy and post it ?
(If so, I will make a dimensioned drawing and post it)

Last edited:
Yes it was the P/N 50042 that you found on their website-thanks again for digging that up!

I would guess that they use inside dimensions for their measurements, I took mine all external, and length and width were measured at the widest point, which is the flange where the upper and lower halves meet. It fits in the Hardigg coffin perfectly, and the foam liner in my coffin even had a dent on the side from that same flange of the original optics case.

When I look at pictures it appears that the lower half has two separate layers of foam, one stacked on top of the other which end up sitting flush, or close to flush with the ledge on the inside of the case. That height is right around 2" so my assumption is that it is 2 sheets of 1" foam stuck together and a single layer of 1" foam to make the upper pieces in the lid. EVA foam is like what you find on a yoga mat, smooth finish and dense with no large bubbles visible, I am again making an assumption based on looking at photos that EVA or similar is the foam used.

Great deal, glad the case worked out to be the right one, the foam and straps are the expensive part then...

Please post the straps and buckles you use, so we can get the experts to comment on how close they are.

Perhaps someone can tell us some things about the foam:

The bottom part is a 2 piece laminate, glued together. You can clearly see the glue between the 2 pieces.

As for density and type, hard to say unless you actually touch it... Quote from Jarhead: Not too hard, not too soft. Perfect. ;)

Close up of the buckles. Seems to be made of pot/white metal. I'll get you the length of the straps when I get back home later.

The bottom part is a 2 piece laminate, glued together. You can clearly see the glue between the 2 pieces.

As for density and type, hard to say unless you actually touch it... Quote from Jarhead: Not too hard, not too soft. Perfect. ;)

Close up of the buckles. Seems to be made of pot/white metal. I'll get you the length of the straps when I get back home later.

{pictures removed to save space}

Appreciate you getting length/width of the straps.

Thanks for the GREAT closeup pics.

To me, I would say the bottom was 3-pieces: A bottom "floor" and the 2 laminated pieces on top of it. (Do you agree ?)

As to foam density, what could you compare it to ?

What is it like ?
What is it NOT like ?

Once we "nail down" the foam-type, and the foam cutout pattern, I think we'll be able to make a decent replica.

Still hoping someone can take their foam, put it on a copy machine or scanner, and make a 1:1 image of the cutout for TOP and BOTTOM.

MescaBug thanks for posting the detailed photos. Now that I see how the foam is cut close up I'm less concerned about how mine will look hand cut with x-acto blades.

If you look at strapworks.com they have various nylon cargo straps in 1" and 1.5" in various lengths with a variety of metal buckles for good prices.

Day optic case buckle/straps info:

Total length with buckle: 25-1/2"
Loose end to rivet: 9-3/4"
Rivet to buckle: 15-3/4"
Loop around buckle: 3.5"
Strap and buckle width: 1"
Loose ends are cut at a +-45 degree angle

The buckles are made by Ancra. They are available separately and with a length of strap. They cost 2.50$. So now you guys can make a replica of the day optic case for about 30$ ;)

MescaBug thanks for posting the detailed photos. Now that I see how the foam is cut close up I'm less concerned about how mine will look hand cut with x-acto blades.

You can also get a foam cutting tool kit. Cost is +-30-40$, it will look a lot better and save you some time!

Last edited:
Does anybody know if the Army uses the same Weapon Record Book as the USMC for the M24? The small booklet that comes with the M40A1 to keep track of the round count.

Never seen one in the deploy kit...

I have seen this type in the pictures noted to be used with the M24 although I have yet to see them anywhere to be had.

I use the USMC version since I had them on hand when I got my M24.

The Sniper Data Book that is part of the accessory kit has a few round count pages and other data books have similar pages as well so the info may be recorded there.

Attachments

• DSC02767.jpg
    DSC02767.jpg
    966.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC02766.JPG
    DSC02766.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Have any of you guys tried the LaRue Tactical or the Nightforce picatinny rail base for your M24 ? I have a Schmidt & bender 3-20 x 50 with a Larue tac QD rings I want to use.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Waterdog

Hello, I am new here but I have a question, I have an M24 .308 LA, but for some reason, the feeding of the .308 round is making me go crazy. I have read that there is a conversion kit for it or that I need to get the internal cartridge limiter/stop so that I can still feed the .308 and still keep the original Long Action. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you are having a failure to feed (ftf) due to the bolt overriding the cartridge, make sure the rounds are seated fully rearward in the magazine well.

Rounds not seated fully rearward can also cause stemming of the chamber, also known as a double-feed.

Check the mag spring is installed with its long leg in the follower.

A weak mag spring can also cause misfeeds.

There is no need for limiter/stop on a long action 7.62

I just recently installed the Badger lower metal on my TBA M24 (#306-84) and the magazine it came with is extremely lose to the point it won’t stay high enough in the magazine well. Anyone else have this problem as well?

Attachments

• 6BCDECB0-C666-4367-94F4-4DB8F9A50C03.jpeg
    6BCDECB0-C666-4367-94F4-4DB8F9A50C03.jpeg
    446 KB · Views: 89
  • 72F500FA-E636-46AF-9076-6304B645E238.jpeg
    72F500FA-E636-46AF-9076-6304B645E238.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 90