• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

Re: Army M24 Build Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we don't buy a Remington 700 that is doubled in price and sell it to the govt and call it a sniper rifle.</div></div>

i'm so confused, so the Awsome Marines build their rifles, then sell them to the Govt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762slinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well he is at least consistent. </div></div>

I just think you Army boys are immortalizing something that is not that special. I know none of them shoot any better than my 700 ss 5R. In fact with my set up mine will out shoot any M24. Better optics, and a pretty fair shooter behind it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M110_Semi-Automatic_Sniper_System

Read M24 is obsolete and is being replaced. </div></div>I thought the M24 was being redone for 300WM and the M110 SASS is for the Designated Marksmen?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marines, we don't have the problem with our rifles that you Army boys do. Know why? We make them, we don't buy a Remington 700 that is doubled in price and sell it to the govt and call it a sniper rifle.

That ss of mine again will shoot as well as any M24 ever issued. And I paid a grand for it, before the other adds.</div></div>

Hmmmm, so the M24, built by Remington, costs twice as much as an M40A-whatever?
Someone here did an A-5 build a ways back and said it cost him about 6k.
The M24 alone, minus all the add-ons like the storm case and such goes for around 3700, then add about another 2k or more for optics and stuff, and in the end it costs about the same. As far as accuracy claims, well thats just it, they are claims. But both rifles shoot the same. Usually around .5 to .75moa with the main factor being shooter/ammo. You keep asking why the OP and the others feel the M24 is so special, well why do you think your SS is so special?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marines, we don't have the problem with our rifles that you Army boys do. Know why? We make them, we don't buy a Remington 700 that is doubled in price and sell it to the govt and call it a sniper rifle.

That ss of mine again will shoot as well as any M24 ever issued. And I paid a grand for it, before the other adds. </div></div>

If you are in fact a Marine, please shut the fuck up, you are doing every other Marine a dis service by spitting your non sense. Have you ever even TOUCHED an M40A1 or A3? What about a M24???? Didnt think so, shut the hell up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marines, we don't have the problem with our rifles that you Army boys do. Know why? We make them, we don't buy a Remington 700 that is doubled in price and sell it to the govt and call it a sniper rifle.

That ss of mine again will shoot as well as any M24 ever issued. And I paid a grand for it, before the other adds. </div></div>

If you are in fact a Marine, please shut the fuck up, you are doing every other Marine a dis service by spitting your non sense. Have you ever even TOUCHED an M40A1 or A3? What about a M24???? Didnt think so, shut the hell up </div></div>
Finaly!
get'em deadly!

I cant stop staring at desertrat's freakin out retard avatar thing, it's hypnotysing, sorry to drift from the discussion bout how tarded bench is, hey IS THAT BENCH desertrat?

douchebag:
An individual who has an over-inflated sense of self worth, compounded by a low level of intellegence, behaving ridiculously in front of colleagues with no sense of how moronic he appears.

as defined by Urban Dictionary... Because the internet never lies!

You know I just get home from work and I have find that this thread has now gone retarded because of some people. I wish that thread could get back on track. If you have any important things to add please post it. Otherwise some people need not reply.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marines, we don't have the problem with our rifles that you Army boys do. Know why? We make them, we don't buy a Remington 700 that is doubled in price and sell it to the govt and call it a sniper rifle.

If you are in fact a Marine, please shut the fuck up, you are doing every other Marine a dis service by spitting your non sense. Have you ever even TOUCHED an M40A1 or A3? What about a M24???? Didnt think so, shut the hell up </div></div>

Boy, and I use that term losely, shut up before you get hurt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marines, we don't have the problem with our rifles that you Army boys do. Know why? We make them, we don't buy a Remington 700 that is doubled in price and sell it to the govt and call it a sniper rifle.

douchebag:
An individual who has an over-inflated sense of self worth, compounded by a low level of intellegence, behaving ridiculously in front of colleagues with no sense of how moronic he appears.

as defined by Urban Dictionary... Because the internet never lies!

</div></div>
I see a lot of lies in here and they didn't come from me. The over expanded ego's of a Army Sniper and his old M24 is way overrated. M40? also overrated. There are much better rifles out there than either one.

knfut.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marines, we don't have the problem with our rifles that you Army boys do. Know why? We make them, we don't buy a Remington 700 that is doubled in price and sell it to the govt and call it a sniper rifle.

Boy, and I use that term losely, shut up before you get hurt.</div></div> i think deadly just pissed himself...hahah you are a fucking joke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marines, we don't have the problem with our rifles that you Army boys do. Know why? We make them, we don't buy a Remington 700 that is doubled in price and sell it to the govt and call it a sniper rifle.

Boy, and I use that term losely, shut up before you get hurt. </div></div>

You use the term Marine loosely???? I dont you fuckin ass clown. I have served with some of the best Marines and even watched some of them hug and kiss loved ones for the last time on US Soil. If you werent one and i dont think that you are. SHUT THE FUCK UP.....and by the way who is gonna get hurt? Me
laugh.gif
i dont think so. Ive done far far far more than you will ever do in your lifetime.

Benchshoot, The M24 does its job very well. I have talked to snipers who have used the m24 and ive held the rifle and to me its a great weapon. Yes the marines build theres and the army buys theres from remington..2 totally different approaches but both work. So to each their own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see a lot of lies in here and they didn't come from me. The over expanded ego's of a Army Sniper and his old M24 is way overrated. M40? also overrated. There are much better rifles out there than either one.
</div></div>
There is ONE person in this thread that has persisted in putting out false info, and junking up the topic of the thread.
That person is you.
Your info has been consistently wrong, and even your own link contradicts everything you've said. When you're called on it, you start blathering about how great your rifle shoots. When you're called out again you talk about how the M24 is obsolete and has been replaced. On and on and on. It is clear you are not capable of admitting that you have been and continue to be wrong. I guess that is just beyond your character.
Now if you can't contribute in a useful fashion in this thread, GTFO. You've become a complete bore.
Back on topic:

rangedaybolt01.jpg

m24bobro2wm.jpg

m24bobro2detailrightwm.jpg

m24bobro2detailfrontwm.jpg

m24bobro2adapterwm.jpg

FWIW, my markings are pretty close to those shown already. If anybody wants other detail shots shout out.

Not being a smartass here so for real, I love the 100 mph tape and puss pad cheek piece, that brings on a flash back haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popeye089</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not being a smartass here so for real, I love the 100 mph tape and puss pad cheek piece, that brings on a flash back haha </div></div>

yup some good old 100mph tape works great for all kinds of stuff

Thanks. I am nowhere near Jay's success in putting together a complete kit.
The bipod in the post above is a Bobro Gen 2. It is mounted using a Bobro M24/M14/M1A mount. The bipod indexes automatically to the locking slot (so long as you don't have a bunch of dirt/debris at the rear) when it hits a machined stop. It is a very light and useful pod. I wish it had some pan capability, and the lanyard holes are too high up.
I don't keep that pod on the M24, I moved it to my SPS T with the LTR stock and I now keep a Harris on the M24 again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popeye089</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not being a smartass here so for real, I love the 100 mph tape and puss pad cheek piece, that brings on a flash back haha </div></div>
I've found it to be the best thing that works. The stock packs got in the way of that long ass bolt travel and cleaning rods, and with the puss pad I just cut a small notch for the bolt hood to fit through.
I do the same thing with my SPS T. But because it has the glass mounted on a Badger 20MOA rail and Badger medium rings it still requires a stock pack for proper eye height, so I've got the puss pad taped onto the stock with a Triad Large Stock Pack over it. Works just as well there.
100 MPH tape has a strong presence around my house.

100 mph tape greatest invention ever

Beautiful rifle 762. What's the stenciled number on the stock for? Honest question. Is it for competitions?

Great looking rifle, just a rifle that simply get the job done, by the what type of bipod is that, I am drawing a blank?

Authenticity...that's how they're marked in the Arms Room often
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popeye089</div><div class="ubbcode-body">100 mph tape greatest invention ever </div></div>
I put it right up there with chicken fried steak, Shiner Blonde, and KY.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhongman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beautiful rifle 762. What's the stenciled number on the stock for? Honest question. Is it for competitions? </div></div>
Thanks. That is the last two digits of the S/N. Just makes it easier to ID a bunch of black bolt actions in a rack together.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great looking rifle, just a rifle that simply get the job done, by the what type of bipod is that, I am drawing a blank? </div></div>
Thanks again. The bipod is a Bobro Gen 2.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Authenticity...that's how they're marked in the Arms Room often
wink.gif
</div></div>
I used to have the front of the stock marked as well, but that rubbed off.

I am convinced that krylon and 100MPH tape is all that holds most M24s together. Here's a few more pictures of M24s,and those damn Army snipers clinging to their old rifles
grin.gif

CameraPics007.jpg

100_1090.jpg

That looks good T. Have fun shooting it. I've always liked shooting mine.
Well, as much fun as I can have shooting an obsolete overpriced doggy POS rifle.

Nice!

Thanks for posting the pic's guys, it's nice to finally see something other than M40's and AI's on here.

I agree with Dallas, great to see more M24s being pictured. Please keep them posted.

you guys know that Badger makes a "drop in" DBM for the M24? yup yup sure do, gonna get one, be able to have both in the ole kit, cant get rid o the original but would be nice to have 10 rounds to sling before reload

Can anyone tell me what the proper hole spacing is for the front sight base? Also, what is the proper height front sight base.

I didn't know it was drop in. Really?
That might be worth picking one up if I didn't have to permanently change my stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jb7032</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone tell me what the proper hole spacing is for the front sight base? Also, what is the proper height front sight base. </div></div>
Give me a few mikes and I'll go check it.

Since the Army is getting rid of them I'll wait a couple of weeks and get a real one for free out of the dumpster at Camp Bullis.

People build a lot of things for a lot of reasons. Lots of folks restore old Mustangs or Camaros and try to return them to their original glory. There are a lot better cars that you could just go buy today for a lot less money but then you wouldn't have what you want, what speaks to you. That's why they call it a hobby. Everyone can pick something that appeals to them and run with it. Lots of different things can all be "the right way" to do it depending on your desires and perspectives.

JB:
Hole spacing looks like .86" and the height looks like .22" from my mic.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.... but for all you M24 guys out there - how do the iron sights work? Do you have to take the scope off and put the rear irons on the Pic rail to use? Does the M24 SWS come with QD scope rings to do this?

Details or a part # for this "drop in" badger DBM. I assume this is not the standard M5? Just the first i've heard of this. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if this is a dumb question.... but for all you M24 guys out there - how do the iron sights work? Do you have to take the scope off and put the rear irons on the Pic rail to use? Does the M24 SWS come with QD scope rings to do this? </div></div>

Yes you do have to take the scope off to mount the irons,and no the rings are not QD but the deployment kit comes with a torque wrench and regular wrench that allows them to be removed and then replaced with minimal zero shift(1/2MOA+/-). They are a novelty. I was always told they were speced with them because of some requirement by the AMU for possible use in competition?? Who knows. We never carried them and I never knew anyone who said they did. TJR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if this is a dumb question.... but for all you M24 guys out there - how do the iron sights work? Do you have to take the scope off and put the rear irons on the Pic rail to use? Does the M24 SWS come with QD scope rings to do this? </div></div>
The two thumb screws you see on the front and rear sight units here attach the sights to their respective bases.

frrrbuism24sws.jpg

The front sight screws onto the front sight base, and the concave area of the screw bites against the recessed area on this base:

frsightbasem24sws.jpg

The rear sight screws into the hole in the sight base at the rear left side of the receiver:

rrsightbasem24sws.jpg

The DOS has two big lug nuts on the cross bolts. It isn't exactly QD, but it is easily removed with a 1/2" Craftsman. I position my nuts on the other side of the base so that the rear sight base doesn't get chewed up.
That said, I rarely install the irons, and I have probably shot less than 5 times with them on. They're very nice for irons, and the interchangeable posts/circles, etc are nice if you like fiddling with little bits on your sights. I really don't care for BZOing the irons, and they are a PITA in that regard.
The M24 doesn't use a Pic rail, and you do have to remove the DOS to put the rear sight on. You can leave the front sight on and still use the DOS, but that subjects the sight to all kinds of damage if you're dragging it around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trobertson5-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am convinced that krylon and 100MPH tape is all that holds most M24s together. Here's a few more pictures of M24s,and those damn Army snipers clinging to their old rifles
grin.gif

CameraPics007.jpg

100_1090.jpg
</div></div>

Nice pics

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marines, we don't have the problem with our rifles that you Army boys do. Know why? We make them, we don't buy a Remington 700 that is doubled in price and sell it to the govt and call it a sniper rifle.

Boy, and I use that term losely, shut up before you get hurt. </div></div>

You use the term Marine loosely???? I dont you fuckin ass clown. I have served with some of the best Marines and even watched some of them hug and kiss loved ones for the last time on US Soil. If you werent one and i dont think that you are. SHUT THE FUCK UP.....and by the way who is gonna get hurt? Me
laugh.gif
i dont think so. Ive done far far far more than you will ever do in your lifetime. </div></div>

Listen dumbbell I have a son who is a 1st Seargent with the 5SFGA out of Fort Cambell Kentucky. If you would like to talk to him and tell him you'd like his old man to "shut the fuck up". Since I am laid up down here at MD Anderson and have lost about 30 pounds in the last month I am sure he would oblige.

By the way, he's only 28 and a E8.

He doesn't carry a M24 either

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762slinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if this is a dumb question.... but for all you M24 guys out there - how do the iron sights work? Do you have to take the scope off and put the rear irons on the Pic rail to use? Does the M24 SWS come with QD scope rings to do this? </div></div>
The two thumb screws you see on the front and rear sight units here attach the sights to their respective bases.

frrrbuism24sws.jpg

The front sight screws onto the front sight base, and the concave area of the screw bites against the recessed area on this base:

frsightbasem24sws.jpg

The rear sight screws into the hole in the sight base at the rear left side of the receiver:

rrsightbasem24sws.jpg

The DOS has two big lug nuts on the cross bolts. It isn't exactly QD, but it is easily removed with a 1/2" Craftsman. I position my nuts on the other side of the base so that the rear sight base doesn't get chewed up.
That said, I rarely install the irons, and I have probably shot less than 5 times with them on. They're very nice for irons, and the interchangeable posts/circles, etc are nice if you like fiddling with little bits on your sights. I really don't care for BZOing the irons, and they are a PITA in that regard.
The M24 doesn't use a Pic rail, and you do have to remove the DOS to put the rear sight on. You can leave the front sight on and still use the DOS, but that subjects the sight to all kinds of damage if you're dragging it around. </div></div>

Ohhhh, that makes perfect sense now, thanks. I had always thought the irons were like a BUIS in case the scope failed or got trashed or something.

They are sort of a BUIS, but not in the sense that the M4/16 BUIS that stays on the rifle and either cowits or flips up.
They are probably better just thought of as detachable iron sights as opposed to what you would typically think of as BUIS.
Given that they are closer to match or target sights than what I would think of as a battle sight.

7.62, they dont list the part as it was a project for the Army upgrade I believe. But they have them, give marty or glen a call and they'll get ya set up

Damn, just what I needed. Another $300 out the door on a rifle plus mags.
I'll just have to suck it up I guess.
So it really is drop in for the H-S stock?

that's what they say 762, dont have one yet but been by the shop and saw em, savin some pennies

Ok, back to my first comment (post drama), about the scope base, I remember reading the article Military.com posted about the upgrades and caliber change. It said the "Weaver base" will be replaced by a Mil-std 1913 rail (picatinny rail). Did they use a "weaver" base? Only reason I am confused is that the rings they always show seem to be Mark 4s or Badger-like bases, and the recoil lug on those would be to big to fit on a weaver slot. And as far as the 2pc and 1pc bases, I was mislead, the pic on Remingtons site is not very clear and does not show the bar going the length.

Yes. The Lupi Mk 4 was a one piece Weaver base with 4 cross slots. It used Mk 4 rings. They fit, the base and rings in my pics is the complete Mk 4 setup.
In some pics the bar that bridges the front and rear receiver is hard to see, and doesn't even show in some angles. It is rather narrow and leaves the loading/ejection port completely open.