• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

Re: Army M24 Build Thread

Did your uncle make more than one...mainly so that I can give you money in exchange for it. Not so subtle I guess. lol

Deleted by me

Last edited:

Thanks Chad for your info sent to me on the A4 stock. I'll keep an eye out for one at the local tactical range and look one over. I have an inkling to get my hands on an old McHale stock as well. For anyone struggling to decide between the m40a1 and the m24, I suggest eventually building both! You'll never be able to pick one over the other, both are great rifles IMO. The M24 clone will definately be the cheaper one because the cost of the MST100 is so high and now only used ones are available unless USO decides on another batch!

I've been prodding folks here on whether other modern scopes at times have been used on issue M40a1s but the Unertl was the only issue(other than earlier Redfield and limited Weaver T usage), no reason to issue another type as the Unertl was very good! It was also pointed out to me that serious trouble would befall any soldier who swapped out the Unertl for something else! If its to be an exact M40a1 clone, it has to have the Unertl! If doing the A3, maybe you could get away with the SN3-SSDS but I may be wrong about that, I thought I read somewhere the SSDS was used on some M40A3s but I believe only MST-100s and S&Bs were issue on the A3.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhongman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did your uncle make more than one...mainly so that I can give you money in exchange for it. Not so subtle I guess. lol</div></div>

no he just did the one for me. Let me talk to him and maybe suggest he make a run of em, what would you guys think a good price would be to make it worth his effort(he has to do the work on down time or breaks or after work)?

I would be interested in one. Just as a SWAG I'd say between $75-100 would be good.

Of course Id like one too and I just started my damn deployment to Afghan. Damn!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pre64WINmarksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much are those hiders used currently? </div></div>

Somewhere between once in a million years and never. Never saw one used. Never saw a picture of one in use in Iraq or Afghanistan. Did see one mounted and used once on one of the sniper shows now on the history channel or something,but even it was used as a demonstration with blanks.

well talked to the uncle, he didnt sound too excited. He said he's prolly do it but would be a little while, they are busy as hell at his work and they just got some big contract. I will keep you guys up to speed and see if we can eventually get a few of these things knocked out, since I know they are virtually impossible to get ahold of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhongman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did your uncle make more than one...mainly so that I can give you money in exchange for it. Not so subtle I guess. lol</div></div>

no he just did the one for me. Let me talk to him and maybe suggest he make a run of em, what would you guys think a good price would be to make it worth his effort(he has to do the work on down time or breaks or after work)? </div></div>

Being able to purchase a flash hider like that would make me hit head against wall for selling my GAP 24, oh wait, I already do that for sellin it!

It's deserving of its new owner though, he is getting much more use out of it than I had time for!

VaJayJay I've waited this long. I can be patient if he can come up with one.

Does anyone know where I can get the old style 1-piece Leupold Mk4 base for the M24? Their new ones are a full Picatiny rail and i'd rather have the rail that has the center cut out. If I can't find that style I might have to get the 2-piece base like the ones that Remington ships the rifles out with.
Thanks

VaJayJay: thanks for the update.

I personally have never seen one with a mccann, not saying it might not happen but remington mars is common

Page 15 of the latest Remington LE cataloge showes an M24A2 with the MARS. Looks good. Also check out the different M24 options in the Remington Mil cataloge.

How much difference is there between the MARS and McCann?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popeye089</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally have never seen one with a mccann, not saying it might not happen but remington mars is common </div></div>

Not sure about regular army, but the upgrade kits for the M24 issued to ARSOF have the McCann Rail, 3.5 x 10 VXIII LR Leupolds with Gen II mildot reticules, and ARMS high mounts.

The only time I've seen the mars rail is on the MK13.

This thread is a very interesting read. Thanks to all those who have given input and posted pictures.

I have one question though:

On the newer M24 upgrades (ex. M24 USR) what is the DBM kit being used? It looks to be the HS Precision DBM.

If it is the HSP then it would be the same DBM drop in kit HSP sells, correct?

FNG here and getting an M24 build underway. If I can figure out how to upload images, I'll shoot a pic of the receiver being re-engraved after I TIG welded of where it said "MODEL 700" so "MODEL 700 M24" would be centered under "Remington." In this thread, nobody has mentioned for certain where they have sourced the rear side mount base. That's the only component I am missing. I know OK Weber stocks them but they are currently out. Champion Shooters Supply has one but they are 3 hole instead of 2 hole. Can anyone help? Former 67tango here. Thanks.

I would wait for OK Weber to get them in stock. I bought the front and rear base from them last week, must have got the last ones. They actually supply Remington with these parts, so if you want the real thing, found out when they will get more. He said they only had 3 more rear sights at the time as well. If your looking for the current iron sights you might want to pick those up as well.

I have tried to get in touch with the OK Weber shop several times over the last couple of weeks - both phone & email... maybe they're on vacation...no response. I'll keep trying. Can anyone say for sure what the part numbers are for the Badger rings and base? Badger's website shows a bunch of rings for DOD use...USN, USMC, and so on but nothing specifically that shows Army use.

The army uses Leupold Mark4 rings and bases, not Badger Ordnance. AFAIK.

I had heard that but I have also heard that earlier 24's before the Leupold MK4 existed used Badger. I'll check into Leupold. Thanks.

Here's the picture of my receiver chucked up in the engraver. The head is about to cut the "U.S." above the serial number. Gone, is what used to say "MODEL 700" under the Remington logo. "MODEL 700 M24" will be centered under Remington in the original font style.

rem700engrave.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Backstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the picture of my receiver chucked up in the engraver. The head is about to cut the "U.S." above the serial number. Gone, is what used to say "MODEL 700" under the Remington logo. "MODEL 700 M24" will be centered under Remington in the original font style.

rem700engrave.jpg
</div></div>

How did you find that pic?

I think it is his picture he took. At least that is what the few posts of his lead us to believe.
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Backstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had heard that but I have also heard that earlier 24's before the Leupold MK4 existed used Badger. I'll check into Leupold. Thanks. </div></div>
Never heard that, and the only bases and rings I've seen on the old/early M24s were the Mk4.

Roger that then, Mk4 rings it is.

The picture is one I took of my long action receiver. As for the barrel, since Remington won't sell me a one(I am a gun dealer in Seattle)for the 24, a local, master riflesmith ordered an air-gauged Douglas with a straight taper. An engineer at Remington gave me the specs for the M24 barrel. Once the blank has been worked over, it will go to the engraver where he'll give it the correct Remington markings and proof marks including 7.62 NATO - all of which, I have drawn up in AutoCAD to exact detail. Should be interesting.

Backstop, do you have a picture of what it looks like after it is done. Im real interested in seeing what it looks like after its done. Do you build the M24 often? If so Ill have to keep you in mind when I do to build mine if you dont mind doing that.

Hate to say it but it's my first build of an M24 but in my spare time, I build Smithsonian level ship models from scratch so I can tell you that I am never satisfied with my own efforts unless authenticity is as close to reality as pratical and possible. I try to spend as much time doing the legwork of research before even beginning a project. I hate to be months or years even, into a ship model just to find out that I am way off on something that could have and should have been obvious had I done the homework on the front end. So really, I look at building an M24 as nothing more than a highly detailed, full scale working model. It has to be right even down to the proof marks on the barrel. As an example, I am working on a tanker for Shell Oil Company in London. The build began in 2005 after about eighteen months of research. Still on the bench. Also, I have a build of an Hk416 going too - all correct markings in the correct, German Mittleschrift font. Sick. But cool. Maybe they'll release the MR556 in another 20 years. The 24 should be wrapped up around in a few months. I'll try to keep pictures coming.

Theres a nice M24 for sale on Gunbroker, and the beauty of it all, its in 300 win mag.

I see that M24 on Gunbroker. Really nice and even in 300 WM which is better because that is what I want. Backstop I know what you mean with things better 100% correct. Im the same way. Thats why I had my TBA M40a3 redone. It wasnt spec and now it is. Look foward to seeing your M24 when its done.

I finally got in touch with OK Weber in Eugene. He has all the Mil-Spec iron sight pieces except the rear sight. He's been waiting for them to arrive from England, where they are apparently made. I got an order in for everything anyhow. Now if that engraving shop would kick it into gear and finish up with the danged receiver, I'll stop sweatin over it. I can just imagine it being done in a totally f-ed up font style and I don't want to weld in the same place twice. On another note, did Texas Brigade close up shop?? I haven't ever been able access their website.

I dont think that Texas Brigade closed up shop. I was on there website the other day.

Well, here's a couple of pics of the engraved receiver...the now, royally fucked-up, engraved receiver.

Letters are double-cut because the diamond/carbide cutter broke as it was being engraved. So what's he do...keep cutting anyhow.

Letters are not space as required.

Letters are too low - the stock covers half the line of text.

The "U.S." letters are not tall enough and don't have the proper separation between the serial number.

Worst of all, he drilled an 1/8th inch freaking hole into the chamber end in order to insert a rod of some sort to stabilize the thing while engraving!

Made me so livid, I just ordered an actual, NIB M24 from a shop back East even though it'll apparently take 6 months to show up.

Backstop: "Worst of all, he drilled an 1/8th inch freaking hole into the chamber end in order to insert a rod of some sort to stabilize the thing while engraving!"

Do you mean that he enlarged the gas vent hole?

Well, it's not all wasted effort. Someone will still use it I'm willing to bet.

Yah, if you look inside the vent in the threaded area, you can see where there are fresh burrs in the threads. It's a bit over an eighth in diameter.

Well, not trying to be a pain in the ass, but, was this guy a gunsmith or a jeweler? Whatever: I think you should post this on the Gunsmith Form and maybe get an answer as to “is this safe”. I’m not a smith and not even sure you can change the model designation on a receiver. Better to discuss with someone who knows. Good luck. (You had the right idea still!)

Man that engraving really sucks ass. I'd be wanting to beat someone with the receiver!

Breaking down and ordering an M24 from big green isn't such a bad thing. Besides it'll be the real deal and not just a clone.

If you were able to get a good deal on the price then you're good to go. This way you know exactly what you have no questions asked. Depending on who you ordered it through it might not take as long as you think.

I say 300WM. I have plenty of 7.62 and would love to have 300WM. There were 2 M24s that were on Gunbroker but dont know if they sold or not. One was 7.62 and the other 300WM. Im thinking of just buying the real deal as well. Let us know know what you choose.

Best bet would be to just bite the bullet, spend the dollars and get the M24 from Remington. You’ll never be happy with an “almost clone”. Hell, it’s not like you can’t get one.

I broke down and put money on the real meal deal. It'll be a long wait though. It's just that I've got to at least build SOMETHING of a beast now that I have a barrel, the correct M24 stock, the dakota metal, and so on. Oh well. I need a winter project.

Stock is new in box with bottom metal screws from HS Precision. I paid 580.00 for it. That's about 50.00 less than what HSP gets. Make a decent offer. At least it'll help pay for a GI M24. I'll post pics in the morning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhongman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The army uses Leupold Mark4 rings and bases, not Badger Ordnance. AFAIK. </div></div>

The rings are Leupold but I was told by Marty at Badger Ord that the 1pc base was never a Leupold item, just something made by someone else and issued on the earlier rifles, than later sold under leupy name. The 1pcers used now are Badger Ord, unless a particular rifle happens to be one of those issued with the two pc base sets. Marty said the plan was to upgrade all standard M24s with the two pc base sets, but a lot of the newer rifles recieved Badger's one pc base as well, after the origional 1pc base supply was exhausted.

I could be wrong but I believe the Army is now preferring the Mk4M3 with wire reticle over the Ultra M3a with flat etched glass reticle. So this makes it easier to have something closer to newer issue even though owning a rare M3a would also be nice.

How many of you Army snipers have shot the M24 without bipod? Yeh it may be a stupid question. Keeping legs folded is technically shooting without bipod but what I'm asking is if any choose to remove the bipod? When I used to have a PSS, I initially shot it with a bipod and did well, then after a while I decided to shoot off soft support with bipod removed and I prefered this much more!

Off topic, one thing strikes me about the whole Army sniper thing and that is the manuals seen in pics early in this thread with the sniper's "S" formed by a big ass rattlesnake! Maybe its just speculation on my part but is that a Ft Benning thing? I ask because I know Georgia, Florida etc, there's some big-ass eastern diamond back rattlesnakes down there! Where I come from we have western Ds but they are nothing compared to the Estern variety! Eastern Ds heads can get almost the size of a softball and to think what fang length those heffers have, frickin intimidating snakes!(They bite and limbs start to rot)
I've heard of face camo emulating the eastern diamondback or rattlesnake in general and so it seems to fit that Army sniper school has a bad-ass snake for its mascott of sorts. The rattlesnake was kinda a mascott from Revolutionary militia times so it does fit the Army culture and history. Sorry for the divergence.