• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

superwolf

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2007
I want to build up a M24 SWS clone. I know that Remington sells the complete rifles, but like many of you I love to hunt for parts and build stuff up. Can someone familiar with this rig post detailed information and pictures for an exact M24 replica? Stock, Actions, Markings, Mounts, Rings, Scopes, Bottom Metal, Sight Bases etc. Thanks.

Re: Army M24 Build Thread

Well, you're going to spend a lot of money for a 40x action for starters.

You won't be able to make one 100% like the real deal as the receiver is marked in a such a way that you can't quite replicate it unless you can fill in the 2nd line of lettering and re-stamp it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Culpeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, you're going to spend a lot of money for a 40x action for starters. </div></div>

I already have one that I want to use

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Culpeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, you're going to spend a lot of money for a 40x action for starters. </div></div>

I already have one that I want to use </div></div>

Cool, long action I assume. HS Pro Tactical stock. Leopold 10x42 mil-dot, 40x trigger, 5R equivalent barrel, and I know I'm missing something like scope mounting system and so forth. The 5R is going to be a challenge without buying an entire Remington police rifle. Seems like each step is a hurdle, including the type of scope, which is no longer in production.

Then the M24 doesn't have a 40x action.

Is there a clip slot milled into the M24 action like the M40A1's? Also, who manufactures the Front and Rear Sight Bases?

Badger Ordinance manufactures the rail and mounts

The police and civilian version of the M24 is the Remington Police PSS and the Model 700 VS, respectively. The main thing about the M24 is the long action and the barrel (5R). The barrel itself is unique and makes cloning only a mock-up without it.

Is there a clip slot milled into the M24 action like the M40A1's?

The m24 action is NOT clip slotted. Hope this helps.
smile.gif

Do we have any real pics of the M24? Im also interested in building one in 300WM. Id like close up pics if at all possible.

You can't get the trigger either. It is NOT a 40x trigger, it is very different. Yes I do have one, so if I can figure out to get a picture and then put it online I'll do so.
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joey762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Ultra M3A scope that the army uses is available, but very rare. As you stated, they're no longer in production. I have only seen ONE in my entire life for sale on the net, somebody had it up on ebay a long long time ago. I would think you might be able to come across one from somebody here. I got my 24 build off the hide, from JSTARZ. Since I picked it up from him, I have replaced the scope with my Ultra M3A I got while I was in the army, got lucky and traded an ODA fella my eblerstock for it. The M3A Rings I scored off gunbroker, they're the same as the Mk4 rings but fully machined, a little heavier. Iron Sight bases were also an ebay find, I looked on here and many people had similar ones but the 2 slot rear sight base I found on ebay.

If you're really serious about this build PM me with your email and I will send you up close photos of all the actual markings from my issued M24 I took overseas. I took a ton of pictures to make sure once I got my clone I could make it as authentic as possible. Also have some pics of major componants of the rifle taken from other 24s both in the service and some clones, as well as several paint job photos from my service rifle.

Theres not much to them, but I don't understand all the talk on here about a 40X action. You don't want a 40X action, because then it wouldn't be an M24.

Get a Rem 700 Long Action reciever.

Rock 5R milspec barrels are available, on here someone for sure has them, if not, google will show you the way lol. BUT the DEAD give away for the M24 is the iron sight bases. If you want a true replica, gotta get that front base at least or its a very obvious difference.

If you can't find the M3A Ultra, grab a Leupold MkIV M3 with 1 MOA elevation and .5 MOA windage.

The stock has to be HS Precision, and if you want an exact replica get the one without the adj cheekrest, only adj length of pull. You'll have to rig your own cheekrest like i did out of a pair of socks, moleskin and 100mph tape. If you want a clone thats more practical, get the new version of the same stock, has adj length of pull, but adj cheekrest also, so you don't need to field-rig your own cheekrest. (i wanted an actual fully-legit clone, even krylon painting it exactly the same as i did my service rifle)

it all depends on what you're looking for here. Full on replica, or just a mock up. For a full on replica, its a lot of money to put into something that in all honesty isnt as good a rifle as you can get with a custom build .308 with more practical optics (1 moa adj isnt really precision grade these days, its a combat sniper optic, not a precision competition rifle).

For a mockup then really all you need is the HS Precision stock with adj lop. Action/barrel/bottom metal/optic all can be whatever you flavor from your best custom builder oot there. You could even opt for an M24A2-style clone, with removable box mag, quick detach suppressor mount, get the adj cheekrest AND lop, and have MARS rail or not, whatever you like. </div></div>

I have an Ultra M3A. Your right that you don't see many around!
Many of the M24's are running Leupold L/RT's so you could get away with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do we have any real pics of the M24? </div></div>

Here are some photos of the M24. The bottom photo has the Iron sights mounted on it. Sometimes we would mount the irons and get dope on them. The sights are Redfield Palma. They are currently using the OK Weber sight.

m24.jpg

iron1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do we have any real pics of the M24? </div></div>

Here are some photos of the M24. The bottom photo has the Iron sights mounted on it. Sometimes we would mount the irons and get dope on them. The sights are Redfield Palma. They are currently using the OK Weber sight.

m24.jpg

iron1.jpg
</div></div>

I reemmber having to inventory the M24 and all the items to the end item. My commander back then let the armorer keep it in a wall locker in the arms room. It used to kill me to see the rifle treated like that which is something that changed when I became the BN SEO (the best extra duty I ever had).

Just buy you a SS 5R Mil spec and put you a McMillian Stock on and there you go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just buy you a SS 5R Mil spec and put you a McMillian Stock on and there you go. </div></div>

I didn't see a smiley after your post,I hope you were joking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just buy you a SS 5R Mil spec and put you a McMillian Stock on and there you go. </div></div>
And then you would have something that wasn't even close to an M24.

Since the request was for more pics-

100_1708.jpg

100_1710.jpg

100_1759.jpg

100_1761.jpg

100_1763.jpg

100_1764.jpg

rrsightbasem24sws.jpg

frrrbuism24sws.jpg

Where can I get the front and rear sight bases?

100_1763.jpg

rrsightbasem24sws.jpg

That may be tough to do. Weber used to have both, but now it looks like they only have the front.

http://www.okweber.com/order.asp?catid=2&subcat=4

I think you can find them on Ebay from time to time. The old Redfield ones as on mine I mean. At one time I saw an entire deployment kit for sale, and I believe it had some extras like the front or rear sight base in it as well. It ended up going for a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trobertson5-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just buy you a SS 5R Mil spec and put you a McMillian Stock on and there you go. </div></div>

I didn't see a smiley after your post,I hope you were joking. </div></div>

I've drug a M40A1 around, I have shot a M24, I own a 700 ss 5R and yes it is ever bit the rifle the M24 is. In fact with the better optics I have on my 5R it is superior to the M24. I've made some changes to the 5R but to suggest their is that much difference is asanine. By the way you can buy a M24- about 5500.

I fI am not mistaken, you guys are confusing build parts of both the Army M24 with it's Precision Stock, and M700 Action with the USMC's M40A series with a 40X action and a McMillan stock, two very differently made rifles.
The Army M24 is essentially a slightly upgraded 700P, NOT a VLS. The difference in those two is the 'boar tit' safety on the VLS's bolt which neither the M24, 700P, or M40 have. The M24 uses a differnt trigger than the M40, and the M40 has more exotic parts on it from Badger. I am thinking of removing all teh stuff from my 700P(Scope and Rail) and fitting Palma Sights to it for the kids, maybe even getting it clip slotted then...back burner thinking concept thing for now.
If I am not mistaken, George used to build M40's for real back in the day. There are a few 'smith's here that have been builders of issue rifles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've drug a M40A1 around, I have shot a M24, I own a 700 ss 5R and yes it is ever bit the rifle the M24 is. In fact with the better optics I have on my 5R it is superior to the M24. I've made some changes to the 5R but to suggest their is that much difference is asanine. By the way you can buy a M24- about 5500. </div></div>
The problem is you're talking about performance. This thread is about M24 builds/clones, not M24 performance. So to say that your 5R is the same in terms of accuracy and performance as an M24 or better is going outside the scope of the question.
So yes, your 5R is still very different from an M24.
The M24 has a heavier contour, long action, different crown, different bottom metal, different trigger, front and rear sight bases, different finish, and H-S adjustable LOP stock (not a McM). They are not the same rifle.

USMC Grunt, if there are other pics you want let me know. Or anybody else for that matter.
Mine is an M24 clone from Mike Lau at TBA. I went pretty much with the TDP for the M24, but changed the optic for the obvious reason. I also went with the Mike Rock barrel, as that was what was originally on the M24. If you need detail shots of anything else let me know.
Mine has done very well, although I have replaced the mag spring. When the spring would start to crap out the bolt drove straight over the base and wouldn't pick up the ready round. I polished the mag box and follower sides, replaced the spring, and load the rounds carefully. Now it does just fine.
ETA: I'll see if I can find the differences with the .300WM and the .308. I know the bolt is different and obviously the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762slinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've drug a M40A1 around, I have shot a M24, I own a 700 ss 5R and yes it is ever bit the rifle the M24 is. In fact with the better optics I have on my 5R it is superior to the M24. I've made some changes to the 5R but to suggest their is that much difference is asanine. By the way you can buy a M24- about 5500. </div></div>
The problem is you're talking about performance. This thread is about M24 builds/clones, not M24 performance. So to say that your 5R is the same in terms of accuracy and performance as an M24 or better is going outside the scope of the question.
So yes, your 5R is still very different from an M24.
The M24 has a heavier contour, long action, different crown, different bottom metal, different trigger, front and rear sight bases, different finish, and H-S adjustable LOP stock (not a McM). They are not the same rifle. </div></div>

I rest my case

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/m24sws.htm

762, how long did it take you to get your M24 and what does the 30 mean on your rifle. I have an M40a3 from Mike which took a year and a half. I love it, I love the way it shoots and its a tac driver. Is your a 308 or 300?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I rest my case</div></div>

A rifle basically consists of an action, a barrel, a stock, bottom metal and a trigger. Of these 5 components, the Mil-Spec 5R 700 and the M24 share one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">762, how long did it take you to get your M24</div></div>
I think he started it in Aug00 and I had it in Feb/Mar01, but that was because I stayed on top of him with it. His wait times were long, and I got it fairly quickly, but his wait now is a lot more.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and what does the 30 mean on your rifle.</div></div>
Last two digits of S/N.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an M40a3 from Mike which took a year and a half. I love it, I love the way it shoots and its a tac driver. </div></div>
He can build some very nice rifles. His wait time has gotten really long from what I hear.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your a 308 or 300? </div></div>
Mine is .308. I had just gotten rid of a .300WM, and didn't feel like messing with that cartridge again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where can I get the front and rear sight bases?
</div></div>

I picked up the front and rear base for my rifle from Champions choice. They also at one time carried the Redfield Palma sights. Of course now they are not made anymore. There was a complete Redfield Palma sight being sold here on the forum.

Good luck. Really wanna see it when done.

Didnt the M24s originally get 2pc Leupold 20moa bases? I know the A2s got the MARS rail, adj cheek and 1 pc rail. If I am not mistaken the Army, in the very beginning, didnt put a whole lot of thought into the rifle aside from the scope. They used all leupold optics, mounts and rings. Its a 700 LA reciever, 5R barrel, the irons I am clueless, the research I did was a while back and it was mainly for ideas on a build.

AFAIK it was the one piece. The major change in the M24 was the barrel change. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of an issued M24 with two piece bases. I know the TM just lists the one piece base, as do all the pubs on it I've ever seen.
I know Remington has offered them as option from their shop though, but I've never heard of Big Army using them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joey762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My last tour the Afghan army was supplied with a few hundred 24s</div></div>
Jeebus.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">762slinger - that 24 is gorgeous BTW! love the serial marking on the stock, nice touch! keeping it all black? </div></div>
Thanks.
The S/N marking helps when there are a bunch of black bolt guns together, or when I have to tell the wife or kid which rifle I want them to bring me. I can just say the bolt gun A30 or A96 or whatever and they can get the right one. It is really more helpful with the ARs though.
Everytime I think about changing the color, I go gutless. Just can't bring myself to change it. It doesn't get a lot of hard use, and I went with an SPS T for more frequent use.
I've been in the process of putting together a full deployment kit for it, although I have no use for the hardcase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762slinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joey762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My last tour the Afghan army was supplied with a few hundred 24s</div></div>
Jeebus.
</div></div>

I wonder how many of those shiny new M24s are going to show up in the Taliban's hands?

Let me make it clear for a few of you. Most of you know this. The Marine M40 is more based of a Winchester 70. The M24 is a long action 700. The SS 5R is a short action, but has the same barrel as the M24. It has also been said it would of been better for the M24 to be a short action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me make it clear for a few of you. Most of you know this. The Marine M40 is more based of a Winchester 70. The M24 is a long action 700. The SS 5R is a short action, but has the same barrel as the M24. It has also been said it would of been better for the M24 to be a short action. </div></div>

While the above may be true.... it in no way supports your assertion that an M24 is just a 5R in a McM stock. Having the same rifling as the M24 doesn't make it the same gun. Not even close......

As someone said in the optics thread... you should just quit now while you're behind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me make it clear for a few of you. Most of you know this. The Marine M40 is more based of a Winchester 70. The M24 is a long action 700. The SS 5R is a short action, but has the same barrel as the M24. It has also been said it would of been better for the M24 to be a short action. </div></div>

Not the same barrel at all, just the same rifling. This rumor was laid to rest long ago.

Sir, I have been and continue to be clear. You are the one that has been consistently in error.
The 5R does not have the same barrel as the M24SWS. Never has. Your several posts that they are the same or even have the same barrel are incorrect. The SWS has a heavier profile and a different crown.
The M24 has similarities to other 700 series rifles but it is distinct in several regards.
As for the long action it allows the system to be transitioned to a .300WM. It also can be problematic in loading if you don't do it right and it requires more bolt travel. But that really doesn't have anything to do with the subject at hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When was the M24 based off the Winchester M70? </div></div>
It would have had to have been when Remington loaned them some stainless 5R barrels to put in those McM stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me make it clear for a few of you. Most of you know this. The Marine M40 is more based of a Winchester 70. The M24 is a long action 700. </div></div>

Since when was the M40 a Winchester 70? Never was. The M40 has always been a Remington 700 short action. The M24 has always been a Remington 700 long action. The reason that it is a long action is because the army at one point wanted to be able to change to the 300WM. In fact the only service that uses the short action is the Marine Corps. The Army, Navy, and Air Force use the long action.