• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Army M24 Build Thread

Re: Army M24 Build Thread

I'll forward my address
laugh.gif

Well, I've decided to quit the build project and just look forward to the actual M24 on order. I am going with 300 WIN. It'll be a few months but well worth it. I just need to find a home for the HS Precision stock and Dakota Arms bottom metal that I've got. Cheap!!

Where did you find that Dakota Arms BM? Tried searching for one and found some like it but not Dakota Arms. I think that the 300WM is a great choice. I have a few more guns to build then its on to the 300WM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Backstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Dakota bottom metal came today. Friggin work of art. Precision piece.

</div></div>

Those Dakota BMs are sweet looking! The only other one that I liked was the oberndorf unit on the old Beretta Mato from late '90s. The only thing I don't like about the M40a1 is the BM with external latch button. Don't get me wrong the M70 BMs are great looking on the 40, but the inside-the-guard release latch of the oberndorf style is prefered!

What type of rear sight base is this? It doesnt have the tapered top edge like the other redfield bases I've seen on M24s. Sorry if I asked before though I don't think I did.

Also wondering if anyone has seen the prints sold on "gunfighterink.com?" There is a print with an m24(dimensions a bit off but still interesting prints) and it has the eagle trident badge of SEALs over the M24-the black one with MARS rail and nightsight mounted infront of the Leupy. I was of the impression SEALs breifly used HS stocked Redick M91 rifles but never a Remington M24, though I could be wrong, I mean SEALs have been known to carry a large assortment of toys along with more general issue stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762slinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what the old Lupis looked like.

mk4base.jpg

I don't know where you would find one now, unless you were able to locate some old stock.
You might try to see if Mike Lau has one. He had a ton of old crap in his shop at one time.
The only other thing I can think of is having one machined, but that probably won't be cheap. </div></div>

Anybody have a good recommendation on a stock pack that will work with the butt extended as far as it goes to the rear--fits so that the pack won't interfere with the bolt when cycled?

I put the caliper to my original rear sight base for the Redfield Palma sight and it's .751 inches. You might round that down to .750 to account for my error.

Here is a photo for your reference. The WB670 would be way too high. In the event you can't find a WB490, this mount will suffice, the Redfield WB370.

IMG_0051.jpg

Last edited:

Have you tried calling OK Weber? He has the ones that Remington supplies with the rifle. They have a cut-out so that it doesn't interfere with the scope ring nut.

He's probably correct. OK Webber succeeded Redfield as the supplier of the iron sights for the M24 system. To use the Redfield stuff is to replicate an old school M24 and its much harder to do these days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a photo for your reference. Seems a .670 is a bit low but then I don't know. This is the mount that you're looking for to do a M24 with the Redfield Palma sights.

IMG_0051.jpg
</div></div>

Is this a modified rear base for fitting the under the scope rings? The bases I've seen have a bevel along both sides on top so that the base could fit under the scope-ring clamp. Other bases I've seen sold as factory Redfield had only the small outer bevel and than a, .25" wide flat along the top. Unless a lower base be used the flat top would seem to interfere with the rings mounting.

Glad this thread is still going

Leupold, circa 1988, did not offer the 1-piece Ultra Mount Base for 700 Long Actions.

They did catalogue an Ultra 1-piece Short Action (#41925), and also an Ultra 1-piece Short Action With 15 Minutes (1/4") Slope (#41278) described as: "A special base with 1/4-degree forward slope is also available for Remington 700, 722, 725 and 40X short action rifles. This provides an additional 60 minutes of elevation adjustment for ballistic drop when used with the 7.62mm NATO 172 gr. National Match ammo."

Standard Police Bases were offered in 1-piece for the Long Action (#26166), but this was not the part used on M24's.

Brookfield Precision was supposedly the vendor who manufactured Ultra Scope Mounts for Leupold.

Sales restrictions to civilians, as listed in the M24 Goverment Bidding contract, explain why this part was not sold directly through Leupold. In fact, their catalogue stated the scopes: "...are offered for sale for use by law enforcement and military customers only. All orders submitted to Leupold & Stevens, Inc. for these items must be accompanied by a certificate that states that these products will only be delivered (sold) to customers in these catagories. THESE PRODUCTS WILL NOT BE SHIPPED WITHOUT THIS CERTIFICATION!" (emphasis not added by me).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lockedandloaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leupold, circa 1988,... </div></div>

LEUPOLD LAW ENFORCEMENT PRODUCTS catalogue Copyright © 1986 Leupold & Stevens, Inc.

Well for future use i bought the following parts from OK weber today.

Rear base ok-R 615 26.00
Front sight ok-R 118 50.00
Front sight insert set ok-R 105 13.00
Front base ok-R 616 12.00

and cost like 6 dollars or so in shipping to my buddys house to watch for me since im deployed.

OK weber told me they dont get the rear sight from RPA anymore due to customs and so other issues in the process. But i sent RPA a email to ask for the part# and the ordering process to get the correct rear sight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joey762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">*CLUB! CLUB!*

lol hey to each their own. I love the 40s myself, even being an army guy signed for a 24 for 4 yrs, from PFC to SGT. But The 40 is an excellent rifle.

For me, though, I stick with whats familiar. I rock the 24, have a beretta 92, have an AR with an EOTech. Its what im used to and comfortable with.

And after walking for many miles up and down mountains with the 24 and a 9mm, and then my many few butt-clenching patrols through the Afghan villages at night carrying only a bolt action and a pistol, I felt pretty shitty considering the situation. But I held onto that rifle real tight and never had a major problem, even in firefights and close ambushes when I only had the 24 and M9. Clenching so close to those weapons, using them in combat in two tours, I just grew so attached I'll never drift away. They were the weapons that kept me alive and the ones I loved shooting. Just wish the 118LR ammo was more common and cheaper. I've got plenty of other guns, and many more I'd love to buy, but I'll always keep those ones around. Just my end.
smile.gif

</div></div>

Joey762, you mention Army, and a CRAPchester address in your profile. Any chance you know Chris Sh.? This is a long shot, but were you ANG, and signed off on an M24SWS to shoot a Hi-Po match on 1-8-1995, then humped it over to the Rochester Dealer Show later that afternoon?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well for future use i bought the following parts from OK weber today.

Rear base ok-R 615 26.00

and cost like 6 dollars or so in shipping to my buddys house to watch for me since im deployed.

OK weber told me they dont get the rear sight from RPA anymore due to customs and so other issues in the process. But i sent RPA a email to ask for the part# and the ordering process to get the correct rear sight. </div></div>

The issued rear was a Redfield "Palma" Target Receiver Sight

The front was a Redfield International "Big Bore Globe" Front Sight

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well for future use i bought the following parts from OK weber today.

Rear base ok-R 615 26.00

OK weber told me they dont get the rear sight from RPA anymore due to customs and so other issues in the process. But i sent RPA a email to ask for the part# and the ordering process to get the correct rear sight. </div></div>

What size front base did you get?

M24SWS, pleae post the response you get from RPA. I bought my bases from Weber several months ago and should have bought the rear sight when I had the chance. Just figured they would always have them. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhongman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M24SWS, pleae post the response you get from RPA. I bought my bases from Weber several months ago and should have bought the rear sight when I had the chance. Just figured they would always have them. Thanks </div></div>

The exact sights supplied with the M24 are not available to the general public.

We do sell very similar sights called Trakker rear sights, the only difference between the two types is that the M24 sight doesn’t have the twist direction on the windage and elevation turners and the M24 sight is sold with the peep.

We do not presently export to the US, we do have a dealer that would be happy to serve you. His name and contact details are;

John Carmichael

HPS Ltd.

PO Box 308, Gloucester South, GL2 2YF
Tel: 01452 729888
Fax: 01452 729894
Url: www.hps-tr.com

If I can assist in any other way please do contact me.

Kind regards

Peter Glazzard

Sales Manager

Does anyone using the M24 in service or having purchased the system from Remington know or tell if the recoil lug is defferent than other recoil lugs used on other production rifles? Are they factory lugs or an aftermarket brand?
From some closeup images I've seen on the M24, particularly the rifle on a Badger Ordnace callender, the recoil lug on the M24 looks like its larger in diameter, closer to the diameter of the Remington reciever compared to other recoil lugs on Remingtons that have a good step down in dia. between reciever and lug, and than about same differnce between lug dia. and barrel shank diameter. I'm not a rifle builder, are there varrying diameters to choose from when building on Remington actions?

I know there are aftermarket lugs that are wider lengthwise like The lug used on the M40a3 and possibly the M24A3-AICS 338. What I see as far as the origional M24 is concerned, is a lug that is no wider lengthwise than the average factory lug but appears only to be larger dia. If anyone has any insight that would be great. I'll try and get a hold of some of the builders about this too. I can post some pics but maybe someone already has the answer.

I don't know if this thread is dead or I'm a buzzkill.

I wanted to ask what a posa-base is? Is this for mounting the old long tube target scopes? Reason I ask is there's a lot of Redfield International big-bore "posa-bases" for sale but I doubt that's the same base as was fitted to the front of the M24.

There was a thread on here that talked about the M24 trigger being used on the M40a3/a5. My question is for those that have actually bought an M24 straight from Remington is that when you got your gun did it have an M24 trigger or regular Remington trigger?

Doing a build myself (well once the AE's gone lol) But I have been ordering some of the parts to get ready for the build. For those wondering about the front iron sight base height it is part.325D on their website under dovetail bases. (OK weber) Just called them and got the proper height specs. Good people to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was a thread on here that talked about the M24 trigger being used on the M40a3/a5. My question is for those that have actually bought an M24 straight from Remington is that when you got your gun did it have an M24 trigger or regular Remington trigger? </div></div>

I have both an M24 replica built by Andrew Webber of Armament Tehcnologies and an orignial Remington M24. The trigger used on the M24 is a standard M700 trigger, not a 40X trigger, and it has been Custom Shop modified. The factory M700 trigger assembly is modified with a second allen adjustable screw with with spring accessed from the outside for changing the trigger pull weight. To provide a bearing point for this second trigger weight spring, the housing of the trigger assembly has an extension block that extends from the rear bottom of the trigger housing. Trigger weight can be adjusted from 2 lbs to 8 lbs by the shooter himself. The normal trigger weight adjusting screw, located at the front of the housing, is adjusted at the factory to break at 2 lbs minimum so that the shooter can not adjust the trigger weight to below 2 lbs. If you have a replica and don't have this trigger, Mike Lau from Texas Brigade Armory can replicate it for you. It will be nearly identical to the Remington Custom Shop M700/M24 Trigger. It will function exactly like the M24 Trigger.

Last edited:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clarence Carter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doing a build myself (well once the AE's gone lol) But I have been ordering some of the parts to get ready for the build. For those wondering about the front iron sight base height it is part.325D on their website under dovetail bases. (OK weber) Just called them and got the proper height specs. Good people to deal with. </div></div>

Just to caveat on this issue, there doesn't seem to be any photos of the OK Webber iron sight mounts on this thread. I'll add a couple of photos of what the latest M24s have mounted on them.
DSC00757.JPG

Below you can see the OK Webber Tracker sights and bases that are current issue sights for the M24 system
IMG_1225.jpg
IMG_1214.JPG

While we're on the topic of mounts, in case it hasn't been mentioned earlier, the original front sight mount was made in-house by Remington as it was produced for the 40X rifle. A similar front sight base is the Redfield "(Stock #723001) Olympic/International #63 and #64 .175" high(.910" long) Globe Front Attaching Base"
IMG_1105_zps7bd56153.jpg

and the Redfield (Stock #715005) "Mk10 and International Rear Attaching Base WB-490". Remington milled a 60 degree bevel on the backside of this mount in order for the Leupold Ultra scope rings to clear the sight base.
IMG_1110_zps829454b8.jpg
IMG_1108_zps9f70e2a1.jpg

They were issued with the Redfield International Big Bore Globe Front sight and Redfield Palma Rear Sight.
IMG_0244.JPG

Additionally, the scope base was a Leupold Ultra Mount Base long action single piece base which is no longer available. They were allegedly made for Leupold by Brookfield Precision Tool, who went out of business, is why they aren't available. Badger Ordnance makes the appropriate long action base and it is called the Maximized 1 Piece Rail (Stock #30607M24) M24 Long Action scope base. The original Scope rings were Leupold Ultra Rings (p/n 40638) which were medium height steel rings. The scope caps were squared off. Seen below with the Simrad mount ring cap.
20140519_191906.jpg
20190707_190552.jpg

Today the Remington M24 comes with Leupold 2 piece scope bases and the scope rings are Leupold Mk4 medium height steel rings where the scope caps are circular on top (Stock #LEU61049).
IMG_1227.jpg

Badger Ordnance makes the older style and they're called Standard Height .823" Steel rings (Stock #1005-306-08).
The original Remington M24s came with the Leupold Ultra M3A 10x scope
20170418_110236.jpg

Ultra M3A.JPG

but later that was changed to the Leupold Mk4 M3.
Mk4 M3.JPG

Today they are sold with Leupold Mk4 LR/T M3 scopes. Mind you this is all information for the M24 not the M24A2 which is another topic entirely. Hope this all helps.

Last edited:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pre64WINmarksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a photo for your reference. The WB670 would be way too high. In the event you can't find a WB490, this mount will suffice, the Redfield WB370.

IMG_0051.jpg
</div></div>

Is this a modified rear base for fitting the under the scope rings? The bases I've seen have a bevel along both sides on top so that the base could fit under the scope-ring clamp. Other bases I've seen sold as factory Redfield had only the small outer bevel and than a, .25" wide flat along the top. Unless a lower base be used the flat top would seem to interfere with the rings mounting.

Glad this thread is still going </div></div>

To answer your question about the beveling, YES, it is beveled on the inside. Sorry I don't have a picture of it to show you. The pic in this post is mine but I don't currently have a pic from that angle but YES there is about a 45 degree bevel on the inside top edge of the rear base.

Last edited:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone tell me what paint they used to paint the M24s that are shipped to the army? Is it black oxide, duracoat, ect. </div></div>

When I was at Hood we krylon'd the barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone tell me what paint they used to paint the M24s that are shipped to the army? Is it black oxide, duracoat, ect. </div></div>

If you are referring to the factory finish, it is a black epoxy finish like powder coating. The finish is electrostatically applied and thermally cured. Remington calls it Rem-Tuf(r). The bolt is coated with a second finish that acts like a lubricant so the Rem-Tuf doesn't have to be removed from the camming and sliding areas.

If you are refering the any other colors you see, they are user applied, Krylon, Rust-O-Leum, Aervoe camo spray paints. I personally like the Aervoe as they use the US Mil Spec color pallet.

I mentioned M24A2 in a previous post so I figured I would show off my latest build. As I stated in that post, I have two M24s, one Remington M24 and one replica M24 from Armament Technologies. I opted to modify the replica as I did not want to deface the Remington in any way. Here they are together.

The M24A2 is a fairly extensive upgrade if you go all the way. Its comes with a sound suppressor standard. The base of the weapon is the new stock. It too is an HS-Precision PST-013 stock and incorporates the new adjustable cheek rest.

The next thing is the Detachable Box Magazine. There are two versions of the floormetal, this is a Badger Ordnance long action BDL floormetal, the other is the Drop In Replacement part made exclusively for the M24. DO NOT CONFUSE the M24 Drop In floor metal with the other Badger Drop In floor metals available. The BDL floormetal isn't as thick as the M24 floormetal. The BDL stocks are not inlet deep enough for the M24 floormetal. The Short Action ones are used in the USMC M40A4s and A5s. Another glaring difference is that the M24 Floor Metal has it's mag release button just outside the trigger guard, the other two mentioned above have a long mag release lever akin to the M14 or AKM. The Long Action ones are for .300 Win Mag and .338 Lapua and are used in the M24A3s. The internal ADL box is removed and the Dakota floor plate is replaced. The Badger floor metal affectively converts the long action into a short action. The 5rd Straight Stack Magazines are made for Badger by Accuracy International and they are really short action magazines. No magazine gaps in front of the bullet tip like in the M24 internal mag.
Working our way up is the Modular Accessory Rail System(MARS). This comes in 3 types, 0 MOA, 20 MOA and 30 MOA. I made the mistake of assuming I could use the 0 MOA but when zeroed, I discovered I couldn't elevate past 900 meters. I needed 8 more MOA to keep from topping out the elevation. I had to move up to the 20 MOA Rail which corrected my problem. The MARS has two side rail sections that can be removed. I only use one for the IZLID 200P.

AMU and US Army Sniper School and other sniper units in the Army have been piecmealing their M24s for several years now. Some mounted McCann MIRS rails or the Remington MARS rails and used the M3 scopes. Some have the A2 stocks with no rubber boot. Still others have changed the barrels out to .300 Win mag.
20220322_211818.jpg

Last edited: