• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

Re: Army M24 Build Thread

Don't forget about the PVS-10, it's been used extensively with the M24 but as big of a POS as that thing is it's best forgotten about. I've seen different optics on the M24 but these were typically T&E scopes or the unit purchased scopes from available funds, but that's more the exception than the rule.

With my M24 clone i decided to go away from the issued rings and base and scope mainly becuase i wanted features not avialable in the issued versions. But my rifle is to spec minus the trigger unit itself but aside from that im happy with it.

I have an old style Remington 700 trigger that I'm going to use for my M24 clone. Can it be modified into a M24 trigger and by who? Maybe GAP or TBA?

I am trying to find the rear iron sight base to no end. Can someone tell me the issued model for it? And a link for where I can get it? Thanks!

I just ordered the rings by the way. Should be here in five days.

You have 2 choice for front and rear sight bases.

OK Webber
Redfield

Redfield went out of business so they are challenging sometimes to find. Try Ebay for starters as i have seen them on the site. Or post a WTB ad for the parts. For redfield i do not know the part number.

OK webber

Rear base ok-R 615
Front sight ok-R 118
Front sight insert set ok-R 105
Front base with screws ok-R 616

I had those but were sold to a hide member here.

Do not mix match OK webber and redfield parts as the dimensions i believe are different.

Go back to Page 8 of this thread and scroll down, I gave a pretty full account of the iron sight bases there and I think some on Page 9 and 10.

Champion's Choice will not have the rear Redfield style base you need. These things are out of production. eBay, outbackgunparts.com and other forums Gunbroker, Gunauction, SnipersHide, AR15.com etc. are going to be your only sources for the Redfield WB490 rear base and even then, it has to be modified with a 60 degree bevel on the inside top face of the mount or the scope rings won't fit. Then it has to be finished in black manganese phosphate. GunBlack does wonderful, wonderful work.

From your pics you have an OK Weber front base so you would be better served to get the OK Weber rear base. At the bottom of page 9, Drake Associates chimed in as the US rep for OK Weber so I'd say that would be the place to go for the rear base. Your link didn't work but that last time I saw the OK Weber RPA Trakker sights and bases on Drake's web site, they didn't have the sights or the bases that were on the M24. You'd have to give them a call.

clouds.jpg

I wanted something different than the issued rings and base and scope that M24's come with.

Spec's are: Seekins 30mm LOW rings and Seekins 0 MOA picatinney base. Scope is SWFA SS10X with rear focus which is perfect for me becuase i shoot the rifle left handed so my right hand that works the bolt can also operate the rear focus without having to reach over like a scope that has its focus on the side. This setup for the rifle is perfect.

I have a rag rolled up lengthways along with some 90 mph duct tape and it keeps my eye in perfect alignment with the scope.

Trigger modification?

I know that Mike Lau at TBA can do it properly, not sure if GAP does them or not.

If you want the Redfield sight bases, both front and rear you have 2 options, watch ebay and gunbroker or call Outback gun parts, they will make what you want save the 60 degree bevel on the rear base, as Eodsix posted, back track in the thread you will find the pertinent info there.

The rear base is a Redfield WB-490 and the front is actually a Remington 40X base but the Redfield .175S is almost identical.

I have the rear base from chamion's choice on my Howa seen here
http://www.champchoice.com/detail.aspx?ID=803

howa2.jpg

and on my "bieber rifle" seen here

beiber1.jpg

and on my .284 seen here (hafta look close)

284.jpg

compare to the redfield on my mil spec GAP M24 seen here

007.jpg

point is, TO ME, it's close enough that I'd use it on an M24 build

Close enough, sure if you care nothing for details, I wouldn't even use that on a clone, that particular Champions base is way off, too many holes top and bottom, it replicates the Redfield 40X, which was not used on the M24.

I contacted ok weber, they said that the rear base ok- R615 is available 26 plus 2 for shipping do i have to say i need a 60 degrees bevel?

You shouldnt have to. When i got my base it seemed ok. I didnt get to test it on my m24 but you shouldnt have any issues.

Thanks. I will order it. So, about the installation? They need to drill two holes in the receiver to install it. How much could that cost?

I have no idea on the cost to do that. It is possible for you to do it if you have a mill and a tap for the screw holes. But to do it yourself you need to know exactly where the holes are are far as dimensions to where they need to be drilled and hole dimension and thread type. Neither of the above i know. Im guessing a competent gunsmith might charge maybe 50 dollars i think?

Heath

Geez....what would...happen if this...competent gunsmith drills all the way through the receiver, damn! I cant imagine, I guess I will search for someone good to do a precise job.

Another question. I happen to know about the torque wrench that is for the alen heads....is there one cheaper? I dont know about you guys, but shelling out 130 bucks just to use it for the rings?

There must be a cheaper option.

On the ring caps allens i just go finger tight and then a slight turn more. I use a L shaped allen key and use the short side in the screw and again i go gently..hand tight and a 1/8th turn approx to make sure snug..but not TOO snug. My torque wrench for the action screws at 65 INCH pounds was made by seekonK for like 95 or so. Which reminds me its due for re-callibration. Sometimes worth it to get high end equipment but all depends on your budget.

Heath

The rear iron sight base screw holes are in fact drilled all the way through the side of the action, they are 6-48 tap, as for exact dimensions I would shop around and find someone who knows what they are doing, such as Mike Lau at TBA as it needs to be done properly.

The 60 degree bevel is ONLY for the Redfield WB-490 rear base, the OK weber has a notch cut for the clearance of the ring bolt/nut.

The torque wrench, well you can go for a cheaper version but yes the ring bolts and the action screws need to be torqued to 65 inch pounds, however it is your rifle use what method you are comfortable with, however if you overtighten either you will likely cause damage.

NoGap.jpg

Every 40-X that leaves the Custom Shop comes drilled/tapped in the universal locations for match rear sights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: red6actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some good photos here of the original powder coated Dakota floor metal for the M24.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3487667&gonew=1#UNREAD </div></div>

I purchased this for my 24 build its in great condition and is an exact fit on the Remington stock, as it should be.

7 year anniversary, longest shot for US Army M24SWS in OIF

"A U.S. Army sniper set a new distance record (1250 meters) for a kill with a 7.62mm sniper rifle. Staff Sergeant Jim Gilliland made the shot on September 27, 2005, during fighting in Ramadi. The Leupold sight Gilliland used is only accurate out to a thousand meters, so the chest shot was partially guesswork, and luck. Gilliland aimed 12 feet high, to adjust for the drop the bullet would make over that distance. Gilliland later found out that the Iraqi he dropped had just killed a friend of his, Staff Sergeant Jason Benford."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lockedandloaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7 year anniversary, longest shot for US Army M24SWS in OIF

"A U.S. Army sniper set a new distance record (1250 meters) for a kill with a 7.62mm sniper rifle. Staff Sergeant Jim Gilliland made the shot on September 27, 2005, during fighting in Ramadi. The Leupold sight Gilliland used is only accurate out to a thousand meters, so the chest shot was partially guesswork, and luck. Gilliland aimed 12 feet high, to adjust for the drop the bullet would make over that distance. Gilliland later found out that the Iraqi he dropped had just killed a friend of his, Staff Sergeant Jason Benford." </div></div>

Thats pretty awesome

I just sent all my parts and pieces off to Mike Lau at Texas Brigade Armory. I hopefully will have my M24 clone back when I return home in the spring. I will post some pics when I get it back.

Very nice. I dont want to even imagine the cost to upgrade my m24 clone to the a2 version
wink.gif

Heath

After having so much time without checking out this thread. I've installed the rear base and now Im looking for a Badger Ordnance long action M24 scope mount. But the prices have gone UP, if someone has one, I would take it off their hands, if its cheaper than a retailer. The lowest price I got was 139$.

139 is a descent price but you have to have the receiver 6-48 screws opened to 8-40 unless badger makes it for 6-48 version.

Heath

Triad has the best prices and they are $139 so I think thats gonna be bottom dollar. I started the hunt myself and will let you know. Maybe CDI can do a group buy like he did for the M40a3/a5 bases?

There is someone on gunbroker selling the M24 flash hider for like 375 dollars HAHA that will never sell.

Be nice to find the leupold 1 piece base and original rings for the 24.

Heath

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is someone on gunbroker selling the M24 flash hider for like 375 dollars HAHA that will never sell.

Heath </div></div>

That flash hider has been on there for almost 3 months now I think. I dont think that he has the idea at that price its never going to sell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wayfaerer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone else besides GA Precision build M24 clones? </div></div>

Texas Brigade Armory

The ultra rings can be found as they were sold on the commercial market until sometime in 2000, the one piece ultra base is another story most if not all went directly to Remington, I have yet to see one for sale on the open market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNIPERS4DUMMIES</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What slings are you guys running on your builds?

I've been looking at the Biothane Sling at Brownells or the TIS M24 </div></div>

Leather MRT like the turner.

Also looking for build parts if yall have extra. Need bottom metal, scope base, and stock.

The Turner 1907 slings are superior to the USGI MRT, Turners are nice finished leather and the MRT is not, my 2006 M24 came with an MRT sling, the older the better with the USGI MRT slings as the newer versions are not the same quality.

The one I'm using on my build is a actual M24 sling. Don't using it because of quality.

Actual M24 sling? As in was issued with an M24? Or is there a new sling for the M24 I have yet to see?

The issue M24 sling is the same that was used on the M14, it has not changed, even the M10 is a 1907 sling.

I too have an actual M24 sling for my actual M24 but I prefer the Turner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: red6actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actual M24 sling? As in was issued with an M24? Or is there a new sling for the M24 I have yet to see?

The issue M24 sling is the same that was used on the M14, it has not changed, even the M10 is a 1907 sling.

I too have an actual M24 sling for my actual M24 but I prefer the Turner. </div></div>

Yea actual sling from an actual 24. Just the leather MRT one

I have an older TIS-M24 thats been reconfigured into a super tight bicep loop. Adjusts from kneeling-supported to prone position, but just barely. Newer versions might have more slack.

M1907 MRT leather slings stretch out like a Tijuanna hooker. Use them for leg matches.

Edit: my sling is an earlier manufactured version. Its different from their current issue Quick Cuff Model M24 US Military Precision Rifle Sling

Does anyone know the exact hole spacing for the rear sight base? Seems to be the same as the top scope mount holes but I need the exact measurement so the WB490 base fits.

Is .605-.610" right?

i just sandblasted this. The Remington tuff coat was not that tough.

i found the stamp
a_zps9110ec05.jpg

this was a takeoff of a C# 24 1988-

here is the height
height_zps44eaf98f.jpg

Here is two of the same Redfield mounts however one has been machined with the angle discussed earlier in this thread.
Also you can see why I sandblasted it.
compare_zpsc43f45ea.jpg