• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

Yep, sadly, eBay. And Gunbroker. I'll be listing a set of the Trakker/OK Weber iron sights there shortly. Maybe a mostly empty deployment kit as well.

Almost every piece you find is overpriced these days, and getting more expensive by the day. And both eBay and GunBroker add taxes to the purchases now.

An internet search should yield the original manufacturers' sites for a few of the items. Since I bought my M24 from Euro Optic in November 2020, I've found these online from the original manufacturer. No promise they're still there, but you may get lucky:

- OK Weber front sight/base and rear (base only)
- Wind meter
- Harris bipod
- Data book
- Data book ballistic nylon cover

Good luck!

Trog
I think all of us who have been collecting m24 long enough have witnessed everything appreciate. Everything will continue to do so. The m24 triggers right now are astronomical.

They are awesome rifles. Fantastic value and addition to portion of the donations being donated to army sniper association, each rifle's serial is ASA19870001 - ASA19870500. While I generally spring for contract era serials, I am tempted to swoop an ASA1987 gun while they are still available.

I bought one of these from Euro Optic in November 2020, but with a serial # of ASA1987054x. Is it possible they had a different serial number range, or that they made another batch?

Regardless, with Remington Defense's bankruptcy, there won't be any more made, so whatever is out there is a finite supply.

Like everybody else, I'm curious to know what that supply was! 2k with "return stocks," maybe up to 1k from the ASA line, still a very small number.

Trog

So after looking through some things (buried on a hard drive) and doing some measuring here is what I believe is the "deal".

• Standardization of rails began in the 80's but more specifically Dick Swan of ARMS was behind a lot of it. He was involved with the M24 program via Remington and after some measuring the M24 rail shares some traits with the ARMS rail.
  • As to L&S changing the rail from a 1 piece to a 2 piece I do not believe is the case. A vendor cannot change anything unless the USG approves it and typically they can only do it when that part/item either proves defective or has become unavailable (like the Redfield iron sights). I do know that there were a lot of complaints with the original 1 piece had a tendency to bow which when they were tight was not a problem, however (as I have personally seen numerous times) the rear screws loosen over time and due to the "bowing" of the base it would appear solid however under recoil it would move and cause changes in the POI from the zero which many found hard to diagnose. I know that at RAC there were a number of calls over the years about this very issue. Now, who made the decision remains to be seen but I believe it was probably a collaboration between the PM, RAC and L&S.
  • While the M24 rail is not Mil Std 1913 (i.e. Picatinny) it is different than commercial Weaver designs of the day. I suppose that because Picatinny was not a standard yet, you could say that the M24 mount a "Weaver" but that is pretty generic.
I will add that if Badger says it is an exact replica it more than likely is, I know Marty very well and when it comes to sniper stuff, he is a bit OCD. I don't remember giving him a rail to replicate but that is certainly a possibility as i collaborate with him many times on many things to include the bottom metal for the M24A2 and M24A3.

Please forgive a noob question.

I'm new to the M24. I've had one for several months, but I'm still collecting up all the extra bits and pieces. Haven't had it to the range yet.

My EuroOptic M24 has a two-piece base, but the Leupold rings I bought for it seem to have excessive play in them before tightening. Do I have the wrong rings, or do I just need to follow a special sequence when attaching/tightening them to the rifle?

Thanks,
Trog

I bought one of these from Euro Optic in November 2020, but with a serial # of ASA1987054x. Is it possible they had a different serial number range, or that they made another batch?

Regardless, with Remington Defense's bankruptcy, there won't be any more made, so whatever is out there is a finite supply.

Like everybody else, I'm curious to know what that supply was! 2k with "return stocks," maybe up to 1k from the ASA line, still a very small number.

Trog
i was under the impression they were ASA19870001 to ASA19870500 - but could be wrong. You are saying your serial is in the 540's?

Please forgive a noob question.

I'm new to the M24. I've had one for several months, but I'm still collecting up all the extra bits and pieces. Haven't had it to the range yet.

My EuroOptic M24 has a two-piece base, but the Leupold rings I bought for it seem to have excessive play in them before tightening. Do I have the wrong rings, or do I just need to follow a special sequence when attaching/tightening them to the rifle?

Thanks,
Trog
If you have old leupold Ultra Rings - there will be play on them on mk4 2 piece bases. They were designed for the older / wider 1 piece base. If you are going with the 2 piece base, some medium steel mk4 rings with no logo on top are appropriate.

Broke down and finally bought one. I finally get to post in this thread. Now to collect parts.

sh4E3nk.jpg

JzleAK3.jpg

q8QaGmt.jpg

o4rb8qb.jpg

XcxKpBo.jpg

DdeONu3.jpg

Can you share the last four digits of your serial number? Mine (bought from the same place last year) was 054x.

I'm curious how high they go--they're still available on the website.

Best,
Trog

i was under the impression they were ASA19870001 to ASA19870500 - but could be wrong. You are saying your serial is in the 540's?

Yes--definitely above 0540. I'm hoping they perhaps started with 0100, leaving us with the same range of just 500 rifles.

The website still insists (in the third sentence) that it's a run of only 500.

Best,
Trog

If you have old leupold Ultra Rings - there will be play on them on mk4 2 piece bases. They were designed for the older / wider 1 piece base. If you are going with the 2 piece base, some medium steel mk4 rings with no logo on top are appropriate.

Thanks. That's the best part about collecting this stuff--so often, I get to buy the same item multiple times!

Example: I found the transit chest in NOS condition, but my Pelican deployment kit wouldn't fit the space provided for it. Turns out, it was an older transit chest, which required an older deployment kit box (different dimensions).

Add the scope rings now, I guess. Well, they were fun to find the first time, I'm sure they'll be fun to find now.

Best,
Trog

Thanks. That's the best part about collecting this stuff--so often, I get to buy the same item multiple times!

Example: I found the transit chest in NOS condition, but my Pelican deployment kit wouldn't fit the space provided for it. Turns out, it was an older transit chest, which required an older deployment kit box (different dimensions).

Add the scope rings now, I guess. Well, they were fun to find the first time, I'm sure they'll be fun to find now.

Best,
Trog
so with the pelicans. you typically put them in upside down. Guys just jammed those into the foam or cut the foam.

• Haha
Reactions: Troglodyte6
so with the pelicans. you typically put them in upside down. Guys just jammed those into the foam or cut the foam.

I really didn't want to know that...

It's what I'd have done had I been issued the kit in that configuration, but I was never a sniper, so I'm less willing to trust my instinct.

Anyway, I eventually found the "right" (outdated) box.

Last edited:
Yes--definitely above 0540. I'm hoping they perhaps started with 0100, leaving us with the same range of just 500 rifles.

The website still insists (in the third sentence) that it's a run of only 500.

Best,
Trog

In the 300's

So this happened today. Not to upset, I know H&S will take care of it. Anyone know the torque specs for the m24? I know I can get a rough idea with my torque wrench but you know how life is. I've only had a similar failure on a B&C stock though that failure was less uniform by a lot.

48B952C5-3D6F-46AE-AE9F-5C487807EAF0.jpeg
CD6E8DC6-1896-4644-BE8E-5A67BB4F08DB.jpeg
DC93DA58-9C8C-466B-9C6A-2D75E3BEFCBC.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: sinister
More pics of stock failure. They are claiming I cut it out.

31044FB5-7EC4-4BA4-843A-67BA6B7EA90F.jpeg
ADF558CB-98B8-41BB-886E-8296A8684D2E.jpeg
E6244B04-D34E-47C9-AEC2-6C3ACEA69234.jpeg
3E68942A-EF2F-4C25-B6E0-096747D478E0.jpeg

Attachments

• 57EF6A42-941A-431F-9B0E-2351B07D1106.jpeg
    57EF6A42-941A-431F-9B0E-2351B07D1106.jpeg
    554.5 KB · Views: 61
Love that. My first rifle paint job 20+ years ago was my PSS, green toned but with mesh diamonds in big strips, otherwise just like that, with a fixed scope. I guess that was the style back then!

I even have a few of those tables in the PALCON out back.

Is there a place to get a replacement trigger screw for the M24 to add to the Deployment kit? If not is there another Remington trigger that could be cannibalized?

Thank you!

Does anyone have an in on an M24 flash hider? The prong version that was issued? Please let me know. Thank you

There are 2 versions of the flash hider, one that fits on the early Redfield front sight block and a later version that fits on the RPA sight. I have actually never seen a later version for sale anywhere.

Reactions: Master Gunny
So if I was to paint the stock and wanted to make it look period correct, what kind of paint was available when the rifles were issued? Aerovoe?

LOL Bro, literally whatever camo paint was available at the PX, local hardware store, or Walmart. Krylon, Rustoleum, Hunter's Specialties, anything.

TurdFerguson,

@Trigger Monkey has the correct answer, probably from firsthand experience. But the Army's "book answer" (the answer you are looking for) can be found here:

This is the official "Notes for Soldiers – Weapons Painting 101," a shortened version of "TACOM Life Cycle Management Command's Maintenance Information Message MI 10-040, Camouflaging Specific Small Arms.”

The instruction at the link is from 2010, and applies only to the M16/M4 family of weapons. But it shows what the Army was using to paint weapons at the time, and the procedures they used to do so. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that there were units that never saw the document but figured out how to paint their rifles anyway. Incidentally, Citristrip works well as a pre-cleaner.

For an extra touch of period authenticity, here's a guy selling the military surplus mesh laundry bags used to make the pattern on the rifle pictured a few posts up (post #872):

After the above link expires, I don't know any other sources for the bags, but it seems the Brits have a number for sale, and there was enough interaction with deployed coalition units that a British bag could conceivably have been used in theater. Or an OCD rifle painter could find something that duplicates the pattern in the photos I've posted below.

But again, any paint and any type of mesh that existed 2010 or earlier would be "authentic." Fishnet stockings from a Fayetteville dancer would be a nice, probably authentic, variation.

I lived this period, deployed as a non-sniper infantryman to both Iraq and Afghanistan, and I never really paid attention to these details while I was there. But it's good to capture them now. You've likely seen the crazy debates about what's properly "authentic" regarding various WWII rifles and gear, and that was just 75-ish years ago, with veterans still alive who fought there.

Anyway, hope this gives you what you were looking for.

Best,
Trog

Mesh Laundry Bag 2.jpg

Attachments

• Mesh Laundry Bag 1.jpg
    Mesh Laundry Bag 1.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Reactions: sinister
cool photo I figured you might like, with laundry bag mesh camo paint. View attachment 7702362

I just realized the flash hider is attached to the rifle in this photo (post #872).

Can anybody confirm that these were used in theater? I cannot remember seeing them, and I've read that they generally stayed in the transit case.

Anybody out there with actual experience, one way or another?

Thanks,
Trog

I just realized the flash hider is attached to the rifle in this photo (post #872).

Can anybody confirm that these were used in theater? I cannot remember seeing them, and I've read that they generally stayed in the transit case.

Anybody out there with actual experience, one way or another?

Thanks,
Trog
Carlos Hathcock
2DCE44D2-66AF-41A0-96F4-0F744379E943.jpeg

That’s not Hathcock

Whomever it is, I'm looking for folks who are familiar with the M24's use in our more recent fights in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But there's no doubt that the USMC's work in Vietnam helped the Army to figure out that sniping needed more institutional attention then we'd given it in the 1960s, so I guess the Marine in the photo is part of why we had M24s in the first place.

Still, curious if our Army snipers used their M24 flash hiders in our early 21st century wars.

Thanks,
Trog

Still, curious if our Army snipers used their M24 flash hiders in our early 21st century wars.

Some did, some didn't. I think that's evidenced by the picture you quoted earlier, it appears to have been taken in country somewhere, as well as this one:

1632596138927.png

It's also a fact that not every system deployed with all of the accessories for one reason or another. When we deployed with our systems our deployment kits were mostly replenished with spares from supply but we didn't have the flash hiders, laser filters, or iron sights. We got some goodies from the ASAK but even then not all of the teams used everything from the accessory kits, I loved the Eagle scope cover but hated the hybrid bag for example.

We got two kits (Charlie Battery, 1-37 Field Artillery). They were hand me downs from 1-23 Infantry. The pelican cases were beat to shit. But the rifles had new m24 stocks. Deployment kits were complete. With some new and some well used parts. No flash hider in the kit.
I think that was the only thing missing. Log books came with the rifles and one had about 6 thousand rounds through it and the other had about 5 thousand on it.
We were told that 1-23 got them from 2/75 Rangers and they had them since new.
They shot great with issue LR118. We went to the mechanics at the motor pool and grabbed od green, tan and brown paint. Then used grass and netting to camo them.
That was my experience.

Whomever it is, I'm looking for folks who are familiar with the M24's use in our more recent fights in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But there's no doubt that the USMC's work in Vietnam helped the Army to figure out that sniping needed more institutional attention then we'd given it in the 1960s, so I guess the Marine in the photo is part of why we had M24s in the first place.

Thanks,
Trog
I do have to apologize. To the best of my knowledge and research, it is Hathcock but I made an error for sure. Hathcock used a modified Model 70 Winchester and of course the M24 is a Remington product. So, all of this is creating a ruckus. However, I am in error over the rifle used and for that I apologize.

Anyone built a M24 on one of the actual M24 marked stripped receivers out there?

I have on one the way, and now I'm trying to decide on a barrel.
I was thinking either bartlien or the somewhat "correct" rock creek

Anyone built a M24 on one of the actual M24 marked stripped receivers out there?

I have on one the way, and now I'm trying to decide on a barrel.
I was thinking either bartlien or the somewhat "correct" rock creek

Who is selling M24 labeled receivers?

No one that I know of, but there are a handful out there in private hands