• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

Sorry if this is already covered in this or some other thread, but I’m going to be lazy and avoid scanning through 24 pages of posts by asking here and now.

The M24 Rebuild that I have has some numbers written on the butt pad of the formerly issued stock. Does anyone know if this is common and if there is any significance to the numbers? Rack or team number perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 7874979
My guess is a maybe a student gun number from a school house, like as in “rifle #52” (out of…well at least 52 😂)but the number isn’t in a local that I’ve seen durn my time at SOTIC/SFSC. and the location is kinda weird, like you couldn’t likely read it from the rack but that orientation is perfect for identification of the rifle from the firing line BUT seems like it might wear off quickly through. 🤔

It may possibly fit the 3 digit team numbering convention of SF, as in “0 = 10th SFG(A) 5 = 2nd BN/B Co. And 2 = 2nd ODA. It looks about right for the mid-2000’s which is when the change over to the 4 digit convention occurred. SF held on to the 24s all the way end but it is totally possible that a M24 could have been marked in such a way in the mid-2000’s and survived updated alterations by some junior Bravo will a paint pen. The SR25 was gaining a lot of favor in Iraq for DA support, so sidelining the M24 was understandable for that period.

But honestly 3 digits is pretty vague unless someone has some personal insight.

My guess is a maybe a student gun number from a school house, like as in “rifle #52” (out of…well at least 52 😂)but the number isn’t in a local that I’ve seen durn my time at SOTIC/SFSC. and the location is kinda weird, like you couldn’t likely read it from the rack but that orientation is perfect for identification of the rifle from the firing line BUT seems like it might wear off quickly through. 🤔

It may possibly fit the 3 digit team numbering convention of SF, as in “0 = 10th SFG(A) 5 = 2nd BN/B Co. And 2 = 2nd ODA. It looks about right for the mid-2000’s which is when the change over to the 4 digit convention occurred. SF held on to the 24s all the way end but it is totally possible that a M24 could have been marked in such a way in the mid-2000’s and survived updated alterations by some junior Bravo will a paint pen. The SR25 was gaining a lot of favor in Iraq for DA support, so sidelining the M24 was understandable for that period.

Rudy that's a great description, and it could be the best guess. mjh30 said maybe the last 3 digits of serial # which I agree with, but the M24R doesn't come with original rec'r or bolt handle to confirm. kft101 disassemble the bottom metal and look if the original serial # is engraved on the mag box or floorplate.

Reactions: mjh30 and kft101
Rudy that's a great description, and it could be the best guess. mjh30 said maybe the last 3 digits of serial # which I agree with, but the M24R doesn't come with original rec'r or bolt handle to confirm. kft101 disassemble the bottom metal and look if the original serial # is engraved on the mag box or floorplate.
Thanks for the advice! No serial numbers or other markings on the bottom metal that I can see, unfortunately.

Post #1183 page 24 by crazynoto shows a half dozen M24A2 BM with last 4 of the serial electro-penciled on mag box and one that isn't.
I don't believe these HS gen 1 DM bottom metals were from m24A2 rifles just the same ones used, these were surplus from Crane but from, or for what I don't know. I actually have been trying to figure it out. They have the common crane armorer's type of serial# engraving. If anyone knows what crane platform may have used these please let me know.

Reactions: lockedandloaded

Hmm, the stock from this M24 Rebuild also has 3 digits marked on it, but on the right side of the butt this time. So looks like mine isn’t just a one-off. 🤔

Hmm, the stock from this M24 Rebuild also has 3 digits marked on it, but on the right side of the butt this time. So looks like mine isn’t just a one-off.
I think it's fairly common. I have one as well with numbers on the right side of the stock, also marked on the bottom of the grip.

Attachments

• m244.jpg
    m244.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 106
  • m246.jpg
    m246.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: mjh30
Can someone measure the center of the front sight base to the muzzle? I picked up a M24 marked receiver and am building my rifle in 30-06. I need to know where to place the front sight. I guess I should add that I have a bunch of M-2 Ball thats why I am doing this build in 30-06. Thanks!

Can someone measure the center of the front sight base to the muzzle? I picked up a M24 marked receiver and am building my rifle in 30-06. I need to know where to place the front sight. I guess I should add that I have a bunch of M-2 Ball thats why I am doing this build in 30-06. Thanks!
Looks to be around 1.375

Reactions: superdave269
Thanks Whitetailnut, So centerline of sight to muzzle is 1.375 got it and Thank you!! Thata a big help for me.

m24.jpg

I really don't have any pics to share at this time so I will start with my receiver. I'm leaning towards using my 700 30-06 long range rifle as a donor to get things started. I will cutting the barrel to 24 inches and now I know where to place the front sight base. It's a heavy barrel but Not a 5-R barrel like on my other Remington long range rifles. So at some point I will be changing the barrel out most likely to a 300WM, time will tell on the later caliber.

Last edited:
Are Remington chamber dimension specs for the original M24 5R available (not the new rebuild version)? Was it different than standard SAMMI? There are indications they used the Pacific Tool & Guage chamber reamer #5aee7071 .308 Winchester M852 that is not SAMMI/CIP spec.

Really interesting information in this thread.

What is the bottom metal is used for DBM I see In So many of the pictures?

I found an older post that said the M24 follower and spring is not the same as a long action magnum R700 follower and spring.

How different are the parts? Can an R700 follower be modded as a stand in?

I found an older post that said the M24 follower and spring is not the same as a long action magnum R700 follower and spring.

How different are the parts? Can an R700 follower be modded as a stand in?correct the follower

How different are the parts? Can an R700 follower be modded as a stand in?
The follower on the m24 is milled, if you are using the correct bottom metal, the mag box would need to shortened from 38 to 32 to fit, not sure about the spring. I am sure they would work anyways, not sure about the reliability

What bottom metal are you using? Was it a drop in fit or did you have to modify the stock?
badger ord m24a2 bottom metal. It is a drop in fit specifically for the m24 using 308 in the long action receiver.

I had the modify the stock a bit, but not in the sense that you are thinking. I have posts about it back on page 19.

badger ord m24a2 bottom metal. It is a drop in fit specifically for the m24 using 308 in the long action receiver.

I had the modify the stock a bit, but not in the sense that you are thinking. I have posts about it back on page 19.
Thanks. I'm looking a set up similar to your, just in SA. Nice rifle.

How sturdy is the cheek piece? Does it stay in pace when you set the height?

The adjustment screw doesn't lock, but it stay in place just fine.

I’m looking for an M24 sling. Anyone currently making some that are close enough? The ones I’m seeing online have shiny brass ends.

If anyone has a spare M24 trigger, could you measure the length and width of your sear spring? Mine went flying when I went to install it, and i want to make sure the spring i found is correct.

It's around 3/4" long and 3/16" wide.
20220628_120952.jpg

I ended up getting one of the Eurooptic M24s at the beginning of last year, finally got around to getting a scope on it. It's not correct for an M24 but I'm happy with it anyways. I eventually want to get the iron sights but that seems near impossible since I don't even know what rear base is supposed to go on this one.
0gPBicD.jpg

I ended up getting one of the Eurooptic M24s at the beginning of last year, finally got around to getting a scope on it. It's not correct for an M24 but I'm happy with it anyways. I eventually want to get the iron sights but that seems near impossible since I don't even know what rear base is supposed to go on this one.
0gPBicD.jpg
Looking good .

Reactions: Charlie112
BrianM87 I believe what you are looking for, the rear sight base is available on Ebay right now.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I know your correct about the base being a 490. I do not claim to be an expert but I did read that the one I shared does work. I can't recall if I was told they used them when the supply ran out or if it was that it worked as a substitute. I just ordered one for my rifle I can let you if it fits as soon as it arrives.

Re: Army M24 Build Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pre64WINmarksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a photo for your reference. The WB670 would be way too high. In the event you can't find a WB490, this mount will suffice, the Redfield WB370.

Last edited:
Yes I did indeed say a WB370 would work but it's only a substitute, not actually period correct. A modified WB490 is the correct rear base when coupled with the Remington produced front sight base or the Redfield equivalent front sight base. If you go for the RPA Tracker rear sight base then you'd need the OK Webber front sight base as well.

Reactions: superdave269
eodsix, I'm glad you did say that because it helped me by offering an option. I just ordered a WB370 to use on my rifle. Thank.