• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ar's that won't function

For fuck’s sake OP, go buy a couple of hundred rounds of M855 of your choice, and function check the rifles with NATO spec ammo that is making appropriate pressure and will have been tested for you by Uncle Sugar in cold weather. Lube with CLP it works fine, and has conveniently also been tested by Uncle Sugar for you in the operating temp range you’re working in.

If the guns still won’t run with NATO spec ammo, then it’s a problem with the guns.

Chances are good it’s an issue with your reloads not wanting to work well with the odd combo of parts you’ve also cobbled together. You have a lot of self inflicted variables in play here, so start eliminating as many of them as possible by returning the guns to stock form and shooting full power 5.56mm out of them.

Last edited:
Well, after doing some more shooting today, I think I figured it out. I put a rifle length spring from Brownells in it and it seems to function with a H1 buffer in it with all of the ammo that I ran through it. I also oiled it with Mobile 1 0w-16.

That’s a band aide fix because it should work dirty or clean or it’s a safe queen not a weapon. lol. It might work temporarily but in the end It’s a gas system issue that needs to be addressed. Too many guys just read on net “ What’s best” then throw parts at things and hope
I can put ulitmate lube 2 all over an ar15 and stop it from running under 20 degrees. Although it usually results in light strikes not short stroking.

Reactions: msgriff
Well, after doing some more shooting today, I think I figured it out. I put a rifle length spring from Brownells in it and it seems to function with a H1 buffer in it with all of the ammo that I ran through it. I also oiled it with Mobile 1 0w-16.

This should be a lesson to everyone trying to throw "the best" parts and having problems: If your oddball collection of parts doesn't work right, go back to a standard configuration an start over. Then you can add back the oddball stuff one at a time if you really want it, to see what causes an issue.

Honestly it shouldn't have taken this whole thread and a couple weeks to get to the point of just trying a standard configuration.

• Love
Reactions: sinister and mtrmn
I have a pair of AR's with 18 inch barrels and rifle length gas systems that won't run.
1st gun: 18" White Oak 1-8 rifle length with a .100 port. A5 buffer system running a sprinco green and an H1 buffer. Won't run anything but American Eagle 55 grain. Everything else is short stroking.

2nd gun: BA 18" 1-8 rifle length with a .094 port. Carbine length buffer system with a sprinco Yellow and a standard 3.0 oz buffer. Same situation
It is cold here at about 20 degrees. I'm loading Hornady 75 gr BTHP with 24.0 grains of TAC
hoping the hive mind can produce some suggestions before I launch one of these POS' off a cliff.
Maybe this has been stated, but have you tried cleaning and running a different lube? I run militec1 on my 1911s and ars and they have ran fine into -30f. Not that I spend A LOT of time shooting at that temp, but I have, and they worked fine with it.

Maybe this has been stated, but have you tried cleaning and running a different lube? I run militec1 on my 1911s and ars and they have ran fine into -30f. Not that I spend A LOT of time shooting at that temp, but I have, and they worked fine with it.
Yes I have. I'm currently running Mobile 0W-16