• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ASTB... Flying for USMC

Photon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
CA/MN/IA/VA/FL/TX
Gents,

Wanted to see how many guys here fly or flew for the Marine Corps or may be planning on it or something along those lines. One of the required tests to put in for a guaranteed aviation slot at API is taking the ASTB, or Aviation Selection Test Battery. Naval guys know all about this pipeline.

I'm going to be taking it tomorrow morning to see what I can see. So I thought i'd start a discussion on it and read something about it tomorrow after i've taken the test. I don't know much about the Marine Corps HMLA community, but at this point in my life, that's what I'm looking into doing.

Any insight on anything flying or Marine Corps is welcomed...

Semper Fidelis

Re: ASTB... Flying for USMC

Thanks much, I did alright on it. I didn't expect a whole lot of responses on it just because most people don't mix shooting and flying (ha). It's a dream job I guess...

My brother loves flying for the Navy so far. He got his wings in May. I tell you his life is a lot nicer being an officer than it has been when he was enlisted. If he is not flying, all he has to do is call in by 8am and tell them he is alive and that is it!!!

Photon,

Best of luck with the process. Food for thought- Why Marine aviation? I found that while you initially get the pride of becoming an Officer of Marines it diminishes when you start looking at the greener grass of Air Force aviation. Like if you are going to be a Marine, be a Marine and lead, from a combat arms MOS. Aviators In the Marines deal with alot more BS than other aviators, longer deployments, and crappier conditions.

Not to the point where it is really earning you anything, just to the point of irritation. The Marine Corps is an institution of leaders and transformation. All I am saying is that in aviation you will not get the full experience. Everyone goes by first names, grows there hair long, etc. If you are going that route why Marines?

I deferred my commission and some 4 years later, on the way to Thailand (for vacation), we were on one of those walk way escalator thingys, and coming the opposite direction, was a dude that was across the squadbay from me in OCS. He thought I was on leave. He found out I did not take my commission, and his buddy, was like, oh, you were one of the smart ones. They were on their way for an unacompanied 11 month tour on mainside Japan. He was leaving his two young children and wife in states for a year. He was a Harrier pilot. A very highly trained, very skilled, MOS, and the Corps sent him overseas in a non-combat station for a year.

All I am saying is seriously think about what you are getting yourself in to. Also, I heard that they are going with 8-10 year commitments for fixed wing aviators. That is a long time. And, when I get on jets I talk with the pilots. They are asking me how my retirement is, and I can tell they are thinking of jumping ship.

I really respect your dreams and am not trying to douche on any prior service aviator, or present. I would suggest a little more research in to the different branches of service.

Another thing to think about is the training. After OCS you will go to TBS, about 6 months of field skills, and basic Marine training. Aviators bitch about it the whole time. Then you go to basic air school, were you compete for the different slots available. The Marines don't garuntee anyone crap when they sign up. I have met many a aspriring jet pilot flying CH-46. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just saying again, make sure that the default position will sit well for 8 years or so.

Kind of like all of the aspiring Force Recon / Sniper daddies that are straight leg grunts their entire tour, that never ever got a chance to run an indoc. The Marine Corps will always have a plan for you, you do not have a plan for it.

Hope that helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dirtyboots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Photon,

Best of luck with the process. Food for thought- Why Marine aviation? I found that while you initially get the pride of becoming an Officer of Marines it diminishes when you start looking at the greener grass of Air Force aviation. Like if you are going to be a Marine, be a Marine and lead, from a combat arms MOS. Aviators In the Marines deal with alot more BS than other aviators, longer deployments, and crappier conditions.

Not to the point where it is really earning you anything, just to the point of irritation. The Marine Corps is an institution of leaders and transformation. All I am saying is that in aviation you will not get the full experience. Everyone goes by first names, grows there hair long, etc. If you are going that route why Marines?

I deferred my commission and some 4 years later, on the way to Thailand (for vacation), we were on one of those walk way escalator thingys, and coming the opposite direction, was a dude that was across the squadbay from me in OCS. He thought I was on leave. He found out I did not take my commission, and his buddy, was like, oh, you were one of the smart ones. They were on their way for an unacompanied 11 month tour on mainside Japan. He was leaving his two young children and wife in states for a year. He was a Harrier pilot. A very highly trained, very skilled, MOS, and the Corps sent him overseas in a non-combat station for a year.

All I am saying is seriously think about what you are getting yourself in to. Also, I heard that they are going with 8-10 year commitments for fixed wing aviators. That is a long time. And, when I get on jets I talk with the pilots. They are asking me how my retirement is, and I can tell they are thinking of jumping ship.

I really respect your dreams and am not trying to douche on any prior service aviator, or present. I would suggest a little more research in to the different branches of service.

Another thing to think about is the training. After OCS you will go to TBS, about 6 months of field skills, and basic Marine training. Aviators bitch about it the whole time. Then you go to basic air school, were you compete for the different slots available. The Marines don't garuntee anyone crap when they sign up. I have met many a aspriring jet pilot flying CH-46. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just saying again, make sure that the default position will sit well for 8 years or so.

Kind of like all of the aspiring Force Recon / Sniper daddies that are straight leg grunts their entire tour, that never ever got a chance to run an indoc. The Marine Corps will always have a plan for you, you do not have a plan for it.

Hope that helps. </div></div>

Does the Air Force actually guarantee that you fly jets?

I flew in the Navy. Big difference, but both are Naval Aviators. It has been a long time since I went through the process(1985), so much has undoudtedly changed. However, some things will never change. One is, as stated, that you will be a Marine first, and an aviator second. Big plus in my opinion. Second, you will fly the kind of aircraft that your grades in training and the needs of the service dictate. Third, the flying in the Military is magnificent! Nothing better. I was fortunate to fly an attack jet and got to support the troops on the ground. All of the flying in the Marine Corps is centered on that kind of mission, supporting the troops.

I wish you the best of luck

Took the test several years ago.

All in all it was pretty easy. There was quite a bit of helicopter stuff on it as well as fixed wing.

I went through the Navy and Air Force process but lost my AF slot due to hearing.........

The biggest thing to remember is that the chance of flying jets in the Navy or Marines is slim. Most of there guys are Helo pilots.

All,
Thanks for the advice and insight. Wisdom is the one thing I don't have quite yet, so I appreciate. Like you guys have said, being a Marine first is the my job, no questions. To answer your question dirtyboots... I want to be a Marine more than I want to be an aviator. Flying is just icing on the cake for a long career as a Marine. The reason why I would want to fly is because I want to have a very "direct" affect on the battlefield. Now whether I go Infantry Officer or Flight Officer I don't mind. I'm working to be a leader of Marines, not a pilot necessarily.

I understand the pipeline up to going through API, the whole choosing a platform thing I'm kind of hazy on. (I already know the needs of the Marine Corps deal, no reiteration needed on that) I want to fly attack helo's, UH-1 (biggest desire) or AH-1. If I get jets or the Osprey... I won't complain. Needs of the Corps...

I couldn't say everything about why Marine Corps... the average person has to earn it to understand why. OCS is the time for writing a bunch of essays on why I want to be a Marine Corps Officer... put it this way... the word aviation won't be in any of those essays.

Semper Fi

If you're taking the ASTB, I hope your OSO gave you some sample test materials and showed you how to find the prep-books online. Assuming the test hasn't changed dramatically, expect to see the following:

- Math and physics that test some general concepts, including gears, weights, and some electrical circuitry. If you're in a technical major it should be no problem. If you're in a business program, it could be very challenging.

- Spacial aperception showing a cockpit view, where you'll choose the correct orientation of different pictures of planes. This section is timed, and is pretty difficult if you're unable to quickly grasp the concept.

- Personality profile. They'll ask several personal questions I won't disclose on an open forum, but sufficed to say, there are no right or wrong answers. The intent is to see if you fit the personality profile of successful pilots.

Good luck. Personally, I took the test, passed, and decided to go another way. Keep in mind, you can decide to drop from the flight program and "go ground" during TBS if you're so inclined.

I hate that dirtyboots gave you such a negative outlook. To be a Marine aviator is the top of the line...Navy training plus Marine training...there are short sticks to handle anywhere along the line with the Military. I served with the USN, the USMC, and the USA. Lots of negatives...but many, many more positives. Honorable profession. Good luck and (as Red Skelton used say..."God Bless". FNP

Yeah, all of the subjects are still on the ASTB Lazlo. I did pretty good on all of it... it definitely is easier than I thought. But worth the little bit of extra studying I did the week prior. I ended up with 7/8/7, enough to get the guarantee, but like you said... I can drop it at TBS if I really want Infantry (which I do). I'm 50/50 on the flying/infantry.

Does the Air Force actually guarantee that you fly jets? [/quote]

Have no clue. Wasn't suggesting anything about the process with the AF. Point being if you want to fly consider being an Airman. If you want to lead Marines, which is what Marine Officers do, be an Infantry Officer and lead Marines.

I don't mean to come across negative, I am not trying to discredit the training, professionalism, or any aspect of Marine Corps or Naval Aviation.

Photon, in your decision making process I hope that whatever decision you make is for the right reasons. Explore all of the other branches of service carefully. Visit a couple of bases. Study the types of deployments, duration of such, and quality of life offered throughout the different branches.

If you are flying it is going to be a huge commitment. If you are unsure you are very wise to do your homework before making a decision. Be educated and know that all of the oorah in the world will not change the fact that many a Marine travel many a mile to eat in AF chow halls.

Photon, send a Pm and I'll give send num. & tell you all I know about Marine and Naval aviation. I made it through primary and selected jets. Dirtyboots, you def. have a bias against Marine aviation or at least favor AF. I can think of nothing more rewarding than not only being a Marine officer, but a Marine aviator. Plus your gouge is a little off. Marine pilot slots are guaranteed prior to TBS so you will not compete for it. There is also some pretty good gouge on the test that float around most colleges with Naval ROTC units. There were alot of aviation based questions that if I wasn't already a civilian pilot, would have been difficult. Some of my best friends drive snakes if you want the HMLA route and love it!

It doesn't matter what anyone says. Marine Aviation is the shit. From the men I knew who were pilots, being a Marine Pilot was slightly less than being Jesus. Seeing how they flew(rotors and fast movers) nap of the earth many times in Hawaii, NO pilot in ANY other branch has the skills a Marine Aviator has.
Out of those many, Few become true leaders and will Command Squadrons, MAG's, and TF's. The one's who suck get put in charge of things like AIMD/GSE for a year then maybe a second chance at trying again.
You wanna be the best, try to be a Marine first, then try to be a Marine Aviator next.
Semper Fi
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Everyone goes by first names, grows there hair long, etc. If you are going that route why Marines?</div></div>

Not at all true. In fact, in some HMLA squadrons, junior Captains address senior Captains as "sir."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> He was leaving his two young children and wife in states for a year. He was a Harrier pilot. A very highly trained, very skilled, MOS, and the Corps sent him overseas in a non-combat station for a year. </div></div>

Everyone deploys these days, and sometimes they're unaccompanied. Sometimes deployments suck. So what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also, I heard that they are going with 8-10 year commitments for fixed wing aviators. That is a long time.</div></div>

Its currently 6 years for helo pilots, 8 years for fixed wing, AFTER you get winged. So, when you factor in TBS and flight schools, its probably 8 years service for helo guys, 10 years for jet guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Another thing to think about is the training. After OCS you will go to TBS, about 6 months of field skills, and basic Marine training. Aviators bitch about it the whole time. Then you go to basic air school, were you compete for the different slots available. The Marines don't garuntee anyone crap when they sign up. I have met many a aspriring jet pilot flying CH-46. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just saying again, make sure that the default position will sit well for 8 years or so.</div></div>

First off, EVERYONE bitches about TBS at times, not just pilots. I wouldn't say aviators complain any more or less than anyone else.

Second, no service guarantees anything these days when it comes to flight training. The only thing the Marine Corps guarantees if you have a flight contract is a chance to start API. You still have to make it through API, Primary, Intermediate, and Advanced flight training to get winged. AND, you have to pass the FRS (Fleet Replacement Squadron).

Third, what's wrong with the CH-46? Its sometimes referred to as "God's Chariot" or "The Chariot of the Skies" and for good reason. Some guys think jets are the guys that do all the neat stuff, but I know plenty of jet guys who spent their combat deployments orbiting at 14k staring at their FLIR for hours on end. Not exacly high speed, eh? I also know HMLA guys that fired all kinds of ordnance and did some great stuff. I know jet guys who don't like flying jets and helo guys that don't care for helos. The bottom line is that every platform in every service has good and bad aspects that must be considered. I was lucky enough to get my first choice (CH-46, west coast) and have to say that my time in the fleet was miserable, fun, amazing, challenging, frustrating, depressing, and ultimately the most rewarding experience of my life. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

A few more points to consider:

1. If you're a Marine pilot, you're a Marine. First, last, and always. Period. Odds are good that you'll do at least one non-flying tour, and spend time with the infantry or some other part of the Marine Corps. I know guys that loved such tours, and guys that hated them. Mostly it depends on your attitude.

2. If you really want to do well in flight, take flying lessons first. In fact, I can't remember the name of the program, but many Navy/Marine pilots can get 15-20 hours of flight instruction in civilian aircraft prior to flight school. But, regardless of how well you do, what you get often comes down to what happens to be available the week you select.

3. This post has probably gone long enough...PM me with any questions or amplifying details.

Give them hell Phrog, you big, Vietnam era flying, drop-out-of-the-sky-onto-a-dime-so-grunts-have-a-ride, machine. Semper Fi

LOL'ed at everyone bitches...

The Ball Slapper
Two Baloney Sandwiches
The Bummer Summer
These Bitches Suck....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give them hell Phrog, you big, Vietnam era flying, drop-out-of-the-sky-onto-a-dime-so-grunts-have-a-ride, machine. Semper Fi

LOL'ed at everyone bitches...

The Ball Slapper
Two Baloney Sandwiches
The Bummer Summer
These Bitches Suck.... </div></div>

The Bitch Slap
Time Between Saturdays
The Big Suck
Ticks, Bugs, Snakes
Totally Based on Slides

Cannot ever forget,"Why are my feet lifting off the ground, oh shit, now I feel like I'm being squished, dammit my guts hurt I think I'm gonna hurl, shit grab the gun, look at the ground not inside, oh man this sucks ass why did I get into helicopter aviation, urp, aw fuck come on!"
Ooh mothrfucking RAAHH I miss that shit!

Don't get the hurt feelings because I am not drinking the aviation cool aid. If I jump on the bandwagon and agree that Marine Aviation is the bestest thing ever can I be in the club?

When other than aviators wear safety glasses during night land nav in TBS let me know. I will then agree that everyone loathes TBS on the same scale. To say otherwise is untrue IMO.

Oorah all you want. Most of you did not do 20 years and there was a reason for that. I am trying to give Photon a different perspective that does not include motivation and emotion through hindsight.

Yes, no matter who you work for, deployments suck. The level of suck is relative to the branch you work for squared by your MOS.

Please quote wherever I descredit a 46 pilot, or say that AF will garuntee anything. I never said that. It is tiring when people pluck information that I speculate on as fact, then state that I am incorrect. In fact, a 46 pilot saved my life - LTCOL "Gator" Duncan, USS Guadalcanal, in 1992.

You are all arguing semantics and technicalities, and are butt hurt over a debate centered on ideals. Ideally, if you are going to be a Marine, be an Infantry Marine. Or you can be a place kicker on the football team - you still get a ring and wear a letterman jacket, right?

On another note, isn't there an aviation forum somewhere where you guys can all high five about how awesome aviators are? Why a sniper precision shooting sight? Just curious.

My message to Photon: Do your homework.

It is you Dirty-B, that sounds like you have a low grade fever and butthurtzolia. This the internet. Wipe away your tears, and go AF if that is your calling.

As a former Marine and a current pilot in the USAF, (sort of, I'm in the Air Guard) I have a little perspective on all this...

I pursued the Marine aviation slot while an enlisted reservist. Went through OCS and all that, had a "guaranteed" aviator slot that quickly became an NFO slot (Naval Flight Officer - riding in the back of Hornets or Prowlers) Long story, but I ended up leaving the Corps (perhaps the biggest mistake of my entire life) and got selected to fly fighters in the ANG. (The Air National Guard is the ONLY guaranteed "fighter" slot out there. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Even still you've got to make it through 2 years of training before you make it back to your unit.)

Anyway the only reason you should be pursuing a slot in the Marines is if you want to be a Marine, period. Forget about flying. If they let you fly something, and that's what you want to do, great. If not, then you're an officer of Marines, and that should mean a hell of a lot more to you than any dopey airplane. (Or more likely helicopter, as that's what 65% of Marines fly)

If you're not interested in being in the military, but want the benefits of being in the military, then join the air force or air national guard. This side of the house is the opposite of the Marine corps in every conceivable way. For me, that's awful. For others, its heaven. I've been on active duty with the air force for going on 3 years now, and I can tell you I miss being a Marine every day of my life. Flying's cool, but that's about all it is. Being a Marine <span style="font-style: italic">means something</span>.

Being a Marine means more than flying formation. It means more than pulling 7 g's. It means more than telling chicks you're a "pilot."

Being a pilot is a job. It's not even really a profession, it’s a trade. Being a Marine is a way of life, and the Marine Corps an institution. If you want to be a member of that institution, and live that way of life while <span style="font-style: italic">maybe</span> flying something, then go for it.

If all you want to do is burn up dead dinosaurs out the back of some noisy contraption and then tell chicks what a fucking top gun you are then the air force is <span style="font-style: italic">exactly</span> where you belong.

The bottom line... Think this shit through <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> carefully.

I thought all I wanted to do was fly. I was wrong.

If I had gotten a commission in the Marines and gotten into a combat arms MOS I'd be a company executive officer right now, with a couple years of leading a platoon under my belt.

As it turns out I'm a company grade officer in the ANG with a few hundred hours in jets. I had FAR more responsibility leadership wise as a Marine Sgt.

Perhaps you can point me to this ointment, as it sounds like you use it often, or are a butthurtologist yourself, or have seen it alot while casually perusing the aisles of your favorite Pogue Mart.

Despite my obviously abismal communication skills, and horribly low post count, 1812 iterates a point I am also trying to make.

Go to the AF if you want to fly. If you want to be a Leader of Marines do so from the ground.

And, above all, research your choices. Avoid quibbles between very bored people who have too much free time on their hands.

^^ what those guys said is spot on! I have a few friends and a whole lot of my family and the wifes are/were active Marines... needless to say I think about the choice I made everyday...

Oh kids now... play nice...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyway the only reason you should be pursuing a slot in the Marines is if you want to be a Marine, period. Forget about flying. If they let you fly something, and that's what you want to do, great. If not, then you're an officer of Marines, and that should mean a hell of a lot more to you than any dopey airplane. (Or more likely helicopter, as that's what 65% of Marines fly)
</div></div>
Exactly my thought process on the whole sha-bang. That is precisely what I want, nothing more than to be an Officer of Marines first. Those who have gone through the kind of programs it takes to get to that point know that it isn't an easy or short process that some kid can just decide he wants to do. Especially nowadays where kids out of high school who are PT studs and mathematical geniuses may not even get a scholarship, and the MECEP program... well... it's ridiculous to get into.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Photon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm 50/50 on the flying/infantry.</div></div>
I'm all grunt at heart, 100% dirty chewin infantry, and a Marine first.

I've had a passion for military service my whole life, like every teenager at the time I wanted to do the high-speed kickin'-in-door-breach-bang-clear shoot 'em up that you always hear about. But the Marine Corps is a war-fighting organization, built on the principles of professionalism, discipline, honor, courage, and commitment (Oooorah!). The Marine Corps life is what i've decided to live for those reasons. Flying, like i've said, is just icing on the cake. Some days I can tell you, "I want nothing more than to fly helo's and melt some enemy skin", other days I would say, "I want nothing more than to kick in a door and blast some Taliban moth#r f#c%er in the face." In reality, i'd love to do both. But the reality is I may not get my first choice (Infantry) when I graduate The Basic School (acronyms above noted). But with a guaranteed flight option, I have a good chance of gettin' myself in a high speed UH-1Y or AH-1Z and schwackin 'em.

Another thing I would highly encourage you to do, as has been mentioned above, is go get some flying training. Go experience both fixed wing and rotor wing flying first hand. A lot of people think they want this, then they get up there and can't stand it, or are deathly scared, or whatever. After you get said experience, realize that your flying training in the military will be quite a bit different than that, more stressful, more challenging, and far more structured.

I went through UPT with a private pilot’s license and about 120 hours of VFR flying. Did it help? Some, particularly in the first few months in the program. But more importantly it allowed me to go into the program absolutely knowing that I enjoyed flying and could do it reasonably well. (Then the AF shattered all that, but we're talking about an organization that could take the fun out of jerking off...)

No matter what, you have to follow your dreams. Just follow them with a firm sense of reality. Listen to what others say but take it for what it’s worth, which varies from person to person. Everyone has some agenda to justify their experiences. They're either proud of what they've done and want you to experience it as well or they want to justify their failures to you and discourage you from trying. I'm kind of an odd case in that while I'm proud of what I've done thus far I believe I may have been better suited staying in the Corps, as the AF and I really don't understand each other one bit.

There are huge traffic jams of students awaiting API these days. From what I've been told, the Marine Corps is asking aviation contract candidates if they'd consider ground MOS's and may stop offering air contracts for a while. So, you may want to find your nearest OSO/MOI and ask these questions. I don't know if the bottleneck is in Pensacola or at the VT's.

I went into the Corps on an air contract. I got to TBS and fell in love with the ground side but decided to keep the aviation slot just to check it out. Big mistake; should've taken the IOC slot that my SPC encouraged me to take. Long story short... finished primary and asked for helos, got jets. Went to K'ville and hated life. BORING and I didn't fit in very well because I was into wearing utilities and not pickle-suits, and I couldn't recite Top Gun verbatim. Tried to get a pipeline swap to go to rotary wings and they wouldn't go for it. So, DOR, became a 5803, commanded a platoon, company, Deputy PM of Pendleton, went to Iraq, etc... Had a blast. Leaving the flight program was the best decision I ever made. Any idiot can fly a jet...

Getting into the AH1 is just as competitive as getting into jets. Even more so, in my opinion. You might be the No. 1 man coming out of primary, thinking you'll be able to go where you want, only to get exactly what you didn't want. (see above) And, AH's are a very cut-throat community from what I understand.

I'm not trying to convince you to abandon the idea of flying, some people love it. However, I can honestly say that most of my buddies who are still not done with their obligations are scrambling for FAC tours or instructor slots because they're so miserable in the Fleet. Once you start looking at Major, flying billets get harder to find.

Lastly, I'll say from personal experience that if you have the slightest inkling of wanting to lead Marines in combat, which is the greatest honor that can ever be bestowed upon a man, you'll not be happy in the cockpit.

Just my thoughts...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> From what I've been told, the Marine Corps is asking aviation contract candidates if they'd consider ground MOS's and may stop offering air contracts for a while. </div></div>

Not only that, but it’s happening IN the pipeline as well. A Marine friend of mine was just part of a cut that took place after primary. He had been sent to rotor wing school when they cut the bottom 30% of the class and told them they were being reassigned to ground jobs. He's a combat engineer now. He didn't "wash out", a portion of the class was simply reassigned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idiot can fly a jet...</div></div>

This is a factual statement. You can train a monkey to do this job. However you'll find in the flying community a lot of these people truly believe they have some kind of a "gene" that makes them pilots and the rest of the world non-pilots. It’s an embarrassing personality to tolerate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lastly, I'll say from personal experience that if you have the slightest inkling of wanting to lead Marines in combat, which is the greatest honor that can ever be bestowed upon a man, you'll not be happy in the cockpit.</div></div>

FUCKIN' A WELL TOLD!

Grunts have a similiar gene. I went from grunt to grunt through MECEP. No matter what you want to do in the end it is the needs of the Corps that decides, and it is looking like the Corps needs to cut some numbers. No one promised a rose garden.

DirtyB. Contact me if you need some ointment.

Photon, good luck in your pursuit. I loved TBS. I felt guilty getting paid to have that much fun in the field. I mean we had rain, snow, and heat, all good training and Uncle Sam was buying the ammo! How does it get better than that? There was no bitching by any 'future pilot' my TBS company, and we had some horrendous winter weather (86-87) in Quantico. I feel that TBS is what sets Marine Officers above the other branches, and makes Marines better tactical pilots.

Understanding what the 03's do on the ground is essential for ANY USMC MOS, because EVERY USMC MOS is there to SUPPORT THE GRUNT! I like your attitude of being a Marine first and a pilot second.

If you want to be a part of an aviation element that supports the world's finest light infantry, then go fly USMC and take some names.. Semper Fi.

Who knew everyone would be so fiesty about my comments? In rereading my post it was in poor form, and unprofessional, to say the least. The underlying point is something I will stick with, which has been beaten to death so I will let that lay as well.

As for our current, past, or future, Marine Officers out there I mean no disrespect.

I had an extremely successful career in the Corps, and am not trying to discourage, or create dissent against anyone else's ideals. It is also very funny that some thought I had a bias towards the AF. There chow is better, I guess that much is true.

To make this about what the OP was looking for knowledge, and instead I created a debate that far transcends that. For that I apologize to the OP, Photon.

Something else to consider, which was mentioned before, a very cool MOS is Combat Engineers. Heck, I patrolled with some engineers that went to Amphibious Recon School. They blow shit up and are one unsung MOS of the Corps. EOD is cool too, but I did know a SSGT that was missing a hand that came from EOD (since transferring to intel) so something to think about.

The King of Battle is a very technical MOS for Officers, as is Logistics. As our MECEP counterpart points out, there are no rose garden promises. You can serve honorably regardless of your MOS. Obviously there are boots on the ground officers that are there now, which I am not. So definitely consider the source and do your homework, good luck.