• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

At my wits end... need some help from my Fellow 'Hiders. Chicken Fried Steak!

Coating and frying pork chops, and putting gravy on them makes them smothered pork chops.

ETA: Most every member of the silent and greatest generations that I knew ate their steaks well done with ketchup.

When I do a roast (like standing rib or tenderloin) I coat it with bacon fat mixed with mustard powder. Needs to be thick so it sticks. It is an awesome way to coat a roast. Olde English thing. If you can get the really hot Irish or Newport-Pagnell Mustard or powder... it's incredible on a roast.

Never thought of it on Brisket. But what a great idea!

Thanks for that! Another good tip for CFS!

Sirhr
Rib roasts get salt, pepper, rosemary, and olive oil. If you ever get down to Wilmington NC, stop by for good eats and fun woodworking projects. Possibly hookers too.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Snipped for the important stuff.
This is why you use cube steak. You don't pound a NY strip or a ribeye with a mallet unless you bought it from some guy with a freezer in the back of his truck in a parking lot.
I like to put Tabasco and gravy on CFS.
You sir, know what you're doing.

Reactions: MrSmith and lash
Boiling hot lard in a cast iron pan.

Best the shit out of it, bread it (I prefer flour, then a flour egg double dip) and drop it in.

Bonus points for tossing some donuts in first, as there is nothing better than lard fried donuts.

Wrap the back strap in a slice of bacon and cook on the grill until the bacon is done.
Speaking of wrapped in bacon:
20220821_111653.jpg

Baby back ribs wrapped in thick cut.
20220821_142314.jpg

Just so you Yankees know and don't fuck it up , a properly cooked chicken fried steak must be served with a big pile of homemade mashed potatoes with lots of lumps in it . None of that hungry jack out of the box shit !

Nope... I am very selective about what goes on real steak. But CFS is sort of... breading and steak.

Funny story, though. Like yours!

Back in 1990's I organized a cigar dinner for a bunch of folks who needed some 'Sprucing up.' To fit in with executives and gummint officials and the like. It was put on by a super high-class restaurant. We had a private room. 7 Course meal with a cigar and a liquor/wine/adult beverage with every course. One of the best meals I ever had. Chef was a friend of mine and pulled out all the stops. The main course was ribeye... amazing pieces of meat!

So it's going great. We're having cigars... amazing aperatif's and wine's. Incredible pre-courses. The conversation is good and loud. Everyone is having a good time... and we are giving some good lessons on eating/decorum during the whole thing. Part of the point of the evening. Which napkin to use and not drinking the finger bowls.

About 1.5 hours in (long dinner) it's main course time. The steaks come out. They are incredible. There are some garnishes (horseradish, house-made steak-sauce, English Hot Mustard, etc...). But mostly the blackened steaks are just perfect they way they are. Right about the time the last steak is served, there is one of these coincidental 'pauses' in conversation. The room goes quiet. Right at that instant a man who shall be known only as "Tim" Blurts out: "Excuse me, can I have some Ketchup?"

It was like all the air was sucked out of the room. There was about this 10 second dead silence. The waiters froze. The chef Froze. I froze. Not a sound in the room.

"Tim" looked like he had been hit in the head with a bat. And said... "Never mind."

We went back to making merry.

To this day... when anyone is getting together with "Tim"... he asks if he wants some Ketchup. He gets Ketchup at Christmas. Guys from our old team send him Ketchup T-Shirts. Ketchup napkins. Ketchup aprons. Ketchup.

So I get it! But there is also a place and a time for Heinz 57. And a chicken fried steak is one of them.

Just 'sayin!

Oh and I am going to send this thread to Tim. He is still around. And has a Ketchup neurosis. I think that is because people started putting ketchup packs in his desk, his boots, his glove box... his mail box...

Ah, Tim is going to enjoy this thread. It will send him to Therapy tomorrow. It's not PTSD. It's Heinz.

Sirhr
Hilarious story and well written! I read it to my wife for a laugh. Sheā€™s a ketchup person, that has learned how good steak tastes and now enjoys it without the red stuff.

ETA: Most every member of the silent and greatest generations that I knew ate their steaks well done with ketchup.
Yeah, they were also products of the Great Depression and many grew up without refrigeration. That it can be done, in desperation, when no other options are available, does not mean that it should be done.

Reactions: lash
Just so you Yankees know and don't fuck it up , a properly cooked chicken fried steak must be served with a big pile of homemade mashed potatoes with lots of lumps in it . None of that hungry jack out of the box shit !
Iā€™m still partial to hash browns, and eggs sunny side up, covered and smothered with my CFS. Tobasco or El Yucatano Black as a kicker.

A great foundation before a competition or day at the range. Iā€™ll usually last until supper that way.

Iā€™m still partial to hash browns, and eggs sunny side up, covered and smothered with my CFS. Tobasco or El Yucatano Black as a kicker.

A great foundation before a competition or day at the range. Iā€™ll usually last until supper that way.
Iā€™ve gone from sunny side up to over easy to now frying my egg for a bit and then adding water for a fried/poached combo. Game changer. CFS is a favorite but Iā€™ve never tried to cook it myself. Live too far north.

• Haha
I wish I remembered the recipe I was given for the best damn chicken fingers I ever had. I know it involved buttermilk.

Best chicken fingers I ever had were homemade by our cook in Afghanistan on Saturdays. I would eat a whole tray of them as it was cheat day for me.

If you know where I am talking about, then you know how good they were.

Not my thing but @Rthur told me the best steak is tube steak. Said you have to beat it well.

Reactions: Bigfatcock
Dang, learned a lot from you fellas for CFS!

For myself, I pan fry in cast iron with ghee or bacon grease.

I season the cube steak overnight with salt to get as much moisture as I can outta of it.

Make sure the meat and buttermilk is at or near room temperature before I start double dredging and pan frying.

I learned this from a friend who works at a sushi restaurant, walnut flour creates a great crunch!

Reactions: forrestgump01
It's not rocket science.
Meat that's tenderized.
Flour, seasoning and egg wash.

Hot pan of crisco.
Brown and hold in 170 degree oven till you get them all done.

If your not using cast iron you are a fool and there is no helping you.

I can smell cast iron cooking from the front yard and can damn sure taste the difference.

We rarely eat fried foods but decided to treat the kids to a fully southern meal like I had when growing up.

Thawed some aged venison from the freezer, cubed it up and dusted with Kosher salt to sit for a couple hours in the fridge.
36C1D786-A0C5-4802-ADC3-D6125D27DCAC.jpeg

Pounded the cubes flat to tenderize, seasoned the flour to taste with several spices and laid out the assembly line. Double dredged in flour and the final flour mix includes 1/3 cornmeal. I also like to add some Frankā€™s hot sauce to the egg.

85459217-379F-4536-A278-DEEB0D5CB7CD.jpeg

Oil heated just to where a dusting of flour sizzles immediately. Start adding pieces, let them cook until you see blood on the top and then flip for just a couple minutes until the bottom is golden brown. Lay it out on the dish with paper towels to soak up excess oil.

028DF9B5-3B95-465F-AE08-B5F3878031FA.jpeg

E22FD81F-BC81-402F-B596-6BBD3C72E901.jpeg

Add some classic southern sides and put on some stretchy pants, lol.

66303143-2859-4A04-B0AF-478C3E8879AC.jpeg

But, he could break page 3. We should probably report all of his posts, just in case. You know, for the sake of the site.
Obviously you use toilet paper to clean up your brain matter spills.
Think little boy, think.
You don't know how the thread broke.....and I'm not telling you how.
But....I know.
There's a tidbit for you to peruse with your simple sub 100 mentality.

Go back to arf ya doof.

Obviously you use toilet paper to clean up your brain matter spills.
Think little boy, think.
You don't know how the thread broke.....and I'm not telling you how.
But....I know.
There's a tidbit for you to peruse with your simple sub 100 mentality.

Go back to arf ya doof.
Iā€™m willing to risk losing your ā€˜contentā€™ on that lack of info.

When I was young my aunt made the best fried chicken I ever ate in my life. I later found out her secret, Crisco and a cast iron pan !

Reactions: Snuby642
Leave it to someone north of the Mason Dixon to bring science into southern cooking.

If you are buying your ribeye and NY strip from a guy with a freezer in the back of a pickup in a parking lot go ahead and pound the shit out of them. But you should probably use them as dog food instead of CFS.
Science is there, north or south, but I guess it takes a northerner to explain it.

All joking aside, when you stop treating good beef like gold, and start treating it like one component of complex dishes, you can do some really cool stuff. But if all you wanna do with steaks is grill 'em or pan roast 'em, that's cool too.

Folks talking about other cuts, here's nother critter. Thin porkchopd prob 5/8. Pounded out and cut up. Fried up the same way as cubesteak. I ran elec stove between around 50%, adjusting as needed. Started off hotter, turned down as cooked. I'm not the butter woman that got fired for calling folks nigger, but I bet I'm at least as country as her.

689646279.013056public.jpeg

689646312.812356public.jpeg

689646331.358105public.jpeg

I have not read the whole thread so if mentioned previously, disregard.

You tube Cowboy Kent Rollins. /thread.
Seriously, he beat Bobby Flay on a chicken fried steak throw down. I've used his recipe with great success.

On edit I see it was posted above #186

My recipe is take it out of the freezer and put it in the microwave. If you're not in a hurry the oven is even better.

Attachments

• 1667991541508.png
    1667991541508.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
Folks talking about other cuts, here's nother critter. Thin porkchopd prob 5/8. Pounded out and cut up. Fried up the same way as cubesteak. I ran elec stove between around 50%, adjusting as needed. Started off hotter, turned down as cooked. I'm not the butter woman that got fired for calling folks nigger, but I bet I'm at least as country as her.

View attachment 7994667
View attachment 7994668
View attachment 7994669
Dang those look good! I buy the whole pork loins at Costco or Sam's Club and slice the up into small roasts and chops so yeah, I'll slice some thin and try this.

When I was young my aunt made the best fried chicken I ever ate in my life. I later found out her secret, Crisco and a cast iron pan !
Thatā€™s never been a secret, thatā€™s the norm.

Reactions: tomcatmv
Since this thread has arrived at end game status, I thought Iā€™d mention the chicken dish I made last night. I had some chicken breasts medallions that I coated flour, egg and milk, flour. In a hot pan with a bit of oil until barely done both sides.

Then, deglazed the pan with some wine, added a lot of sliced onion, celery and some mixed fresh garlic (Noloā€™s holy Trinity). Cooked down a bit. Then added a nice tomato sauce with light ground Locatelli, a dash of oregano, dash of cayenne pepper. Cook it down a bit, then place the cooled chicken medallions on top, cover and simmer for a bit.

Put on top of a layer of spinach and cheese ravioli and serve.

Yum.

Dang those look good! I buy the whole pork loins at Costco or Sam's Club and slice the up into small roasts and chops so yeah, I'll slice some thin and try this.
Sacrilege.
Put some dry rub on them, wrap in bacon strips, and smoke for about 6-8 hours on very low heat (200-225).
Just before done turn the heat up to 350-400 to crisp up bacon for maybe 5-10 minutes.
Slice very thin, put on split rolls with bbq sauce of whatever type you like.

• Wow
Reactions: tomcatmv
Sacrilege.
Put some dry rub on them, wrap in bacon strips, and smoke for about 6-8 hours on very low heat (200-225).
Just before done turn the heat up to 350-400 to crisp up bacon for maybe 5-10 minutes.
Slice very thin, put on split rolls with bbq sauce of whatever type you like.
Different meal, different preparation.

So it doesn't count as CFS... but your tips came in great last night. I made a couple of breaded pork chops. Baked them... didn't fry them. But the egg batter (with some heavy cream added), panko crumbs and some spices (chipotle, paprika garlic salt) in the breading... were the best pork chops I ever made. I'm actually not much of a pork chop guy. But got these 1.5" thick massive chops a friend brought from the Ft. Myers commissary.

Made white gravy as well... Now I see why folks love pork chops. I was raised on nasty thin grocery store pork chops. Oh no... now I understand!

Probably do CFS this weekend. Still need to buy a tenderizing hammer. Going near a kitchen supply place today... so may run in and grab one.

This thread is cooking gold, folks! Thanks for all your input!

Sirhr

Reactions: lash and MtnCreek
So it doesn't count as CFS... but your tips came in great last night. I made a couple of breaded pork chops. Baked them... didn't fry them. But the egg batter (with some heavy cream added), panko crumbs and some spices (chipotle, paprika garlic salt) in the breading... were the best pork chops I ever made. I'm actually not much of a pork chop guy. But got these 1.5" thick massive chops a friend brought from the Ft. Myers commissary.

Made white gravy as well... Now I see why folks love pork chops. I was raised on nasty thin grocery store pork chops. Oh no... now I understand!

Probably do CFS this weekend. Still need to buy a tenderizing hammer. Going near a kitchen supply place today... so may run in and grab one.

This thread is cooking gold, folks! Thanks for all your input!

Sirhr
estwing-framing-hammers-mrw25lm-64_600.jpgJust get yourself a Pelosi approved California framer, so you can make your real Steak Pelosi.

Last edited: